Happy Camp
Saturday, November 24, 2012 at 1:53PM
Jo Giessner

1858 March 19,  2nd Class Post Office established as  Happy Camp, Del Norte, California. (in Siskiyou County with boundary change of 1887; recorded by Post Office Department 1888).  Located 57 miles northwest of Fort Jones. Named by the happy gold prospectors in 1851.

Henry Doolittle, First Postmaster and in same capacity in 1859.

1860 December 6, Peter H. Peverler, Postmaster.

1864 June 6, Henry Doolittle, Postmaster.

1870 February 28, James Camp, Postmaster.

1888 February 18, Gregor Von Drachenfels, Postmaster when changed from Del Norte County to Siskiyou County.

 See:  Happy Camp, Siskiyou County

Article originally appeared on History & Happenings (http://HistoryandHappenings.squarespace.com/).
See website for complete article licensing information.