Belvidere > Norman
Sunday, April 24, 2016 at 3:01PM
Jo Giessner

1879 June 9, 4th Class Post Office established as Belvidere, Colusa, California located 12 miles southeast of Willows and 6 miles west of Princeton. Name means "beautiful view" in Italian.

George D'Autrevil, First Postmaster.

1879 August 25, Belvidere Post Office discontinued and the name changed to Norman. Named for Norman Rideout whose father owned 11,640 acres of farm land in the area.

1883 December 6, John M. abbott, Postmaster.

1889 December 15, Post Office discontinued.

1890 October 20, Post Office re-established.

1890 October 30, Samuel K. N. Patton, Postmaster.

1891 March 11, Into Glenn County.

1898 June 30, Elbert P. Willard, Postmaster.

1901 February 26, Henry S. Keeran, Postmaster.

1902 October 7, John G. Greenleaf, Postmaster.

1914 May 31, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Willows.

 

Article originally appeared on History & Happenings (http://HistoryandHappenings.squarespace.com/).
See website for complete article licensing information.