Anderson Historical Society & Museum

The Anderson Historical Society and Museum is located at 2330 Ferry Street, Anderson, CA 96007. The hours are Tuesdays and Thursdays every week and the 1st Saturday of each month, from 11am to 3pm.

Telephone:  (530) 365-7045 or 365-8247.


Behrens-Eaton House

Museum and Display Cottage

1520 West Street, Redding, California 

Open Tues & Wed 10-4; Saturday 1-4

(530) 241-3455

Office and Research

1939 Butte St., Redding, CA 96001

(530) 241-3454; Also on Facebook

Private and School Tours available by appointment


Capay Rancho Women's Club

Monthly meetings on the first Tuesday at 1:00 pm at the Friends Community Church corner of 4th Ave and Moller unless otherwise designated. If interested in attending, please call Janet Joksch @ 530 865-3015.

An on-going charity project for the club is to collect aluminum pull-tabs for the Ronald McDonald House in Sacramento. You may take them to the container at Capay's Country Store on Cutting Ave. or give them to any member.

*Breaking News! We have already surpassed our 2 gallons of pull-tabs to the Ronald McDonald House of April 5th, 2014! Thanks all and please keep saving for the 2015 delivery!

The 2014-15 Officers are Nina Bates, President; Carolyn Carpenter, Vice President; Janet Joksch Secretary, Nancy Osborne, Treasurer, Ida Lepp, Auditor, and Connie Uhyrek, Past-President

A little history is being compiled by Jo Giessner as the Capay Rancho Women's Club is in her 95th Year of existence. Please feel free to contact Jo with pertinent information either by email or telephone 530 945-4864.

Also please see the Fall 2014 Wagon Wheels, publication of the Colusi County Historical Society, for an interesting article about WYO.

Historical Dates & Minutes Summaries:

1890 April 24 -Formation of the General Federation of Women's Clubs (GFWC), now the largest women's volunteer organization worldwide.

1900 January, California Federation of Women's Clubs (CFWC) organized and became the 37th State to join the General Federation of Women's Clubs in May of the same year.

1906, Northern District of the California Federation of Women's Clubs formed.

Records Book 1 - 29 January 1919 to 28 April 1920

1919 January 29 - Women of the Capay community met at the Baymiiller home (original Cleek-Reager ranch house) for the purpose of forming a club. This was at the time of the great land sales promotion for the area (Sacramento Valley Colony, 1917-1920), so many of the women new to the  fast growing community were eager to meet their neighbors and establish friendships, social activities and service to their community.

Officers were elected: Alma Stubbs, President; Estella Collins, Vice-President, and Elizabeth Baker, Secretary.

1919 February 12 - At the second meeting A Club Woman's Creed (nationally known as Collect for Club Women written in April 1904 by Mary Stewart) was adopted to be read at the beginning of each meeting; the group was to be known as Capay Rancho Women's Home Improvement Club; the amount for dues was set at ten cents per month for each member; the Constitution was read and adopted; the By-Laws were read and adopted and the Secretary was instructed to purchase a suitable book for keeping minutes and records.

1919 February 26 -The programs for each meeting of the club from February to May inclusive was read. It was also decided to continue the meetings through the summer months for those that wanted. The hostesses of the different meetings were to place the refreshment recipes in conspicuous places for members to copy should they desire and the President was to be addressed as "Madame President" at all times during the business meetings.

1919 March 12 - "The motion was made and carried - that in cases of illness, when flowers were not available from the Club members own gardens, they be purchased with money from the general club funds."

1919 April 9 - "The motion was made and carried to have singing at the regular meetings of the club. Mrs. Clark announced there was Red Cross work to be done."

1919 April 23 - Nominations for new club officers were made.

1919 May 14 - Election of officers for the following year was held: Edith Smith, President; Ella Hughes, Vice President; and Hazel Butler, Secretary-Treasurer.

No formal meetings in June, July, August 1919

1919 September 10 - Discussion was held on exhibiting at the fair; making the school library a public library; and taking up the study of home nursing and dietetics.

1919 October 8 -Motion made and carried for club to file application for membership into the California Federation of Women's Club. Elizabeth Baker reported members could check out books from School Library. Hettie Hauert reported on Red Cross Nursing course to begin at November's meeting.

1919 November 12- Maud Clark read the list of meeting hostesses through January 1920. By-Law change voted and approved to change meeting dates. Thank You to be written to Orland Women's Club for entertainment provided. By-Law change voted and approved making dues payable on first meeting of the month rather than 2nd meeting of each month.

1919 November 19 - No old or new business, so meeting adjourned.

1919 December 17- Motion made and carried to pay General Federation Women's Club (GFWC) dues from treasury. Elizabeth Baker to take place of Hazel Butler as Secretary-Treasurer. Program Committee and Refreshment sub-committee assigned for party on January 1, 1920.

1920 January 7 - Capay Rancho Women's Home Improvement Club affiliated with the Northern District and California Federation of Women's Clubs and with the General Federation of Women's Clubs.

1920 January 21- "Motion made and carried to have a committee appointed to interview Mr. Cutler, also those in authority, concerning the condition of Capay Avenue. Mrs. Collins, Mrs. Giles and Mrs. Wheelock were named as the committee."

1920 Febraury 4- Motion made and carried to have cups and saucers for club use purchased at The Fair Store in Orland.

1920 February 25 - Cups purchase report and committee investigating road repairs were the only items of business.

1920 March 3 - "Report of the road committee by chairman. Motion made and carried to present the proposition of road repair in writing to the road committee in Orland."

1920 March 17- Minutes adjusted; Purchasing Committee of Hettie Hauert, Margaret Baymiller, and Elizabeth Baker appointed. Home Dietetics course to cease until after the party.

1920 April 21- Invitation from Orland Women's Club accepted; Invitation from Red Bluff Women's Club declined; Picnic to be held at El Camino; Thank You to Mr. Clark for work done on dining tables.

1920 April 28- Motion made and carried to let Farm Center picnic committee use the club's tables. New officers nominated and elected:  President, Elizabeth Baker, Vice-President Hettie Hauert, Secretary-Treasurer Ella Hughes;  retiring officers to receive Thank You's and tin spoons were to be purchased.

Records Book 2 -  12 May 1920 - 7 June 1922

1920 May 12 - Plans made for picnic to be held May 26th at the Rice Creek picnic grounds. Motion made and carried to invite husbands.

1920 May 26 - Meeting called to order by newly elected president Estella Collins at the Rice Creek picnic grounds. Annual report read and accepted. A Program Committee and a Courtesy Committee were appointed by the president.

1920 June 9- Social at Hettie Hauert's home.

1920 June 23- Discussion about obtaining trees to plant at school grounds and as windbreaks along the roads.

1920 July 7- Surprise farewell social for "Della" Towne and her daughter Ethel Towne, members who were moving. Continued plans for planting trees.

1920 July 21 - Continued tree planting report; Four new members joined (not named in minutes);  Minnie Smith presented a program on diet and exercise.

1920 August 4 - Minnie Smith continued "home dietetics and physical training" report series; Eucalyptus trees could be obtained at Mills Orchard Co. in April 1921.

1920 August 18- Decision made to purchase "Mementos" of the Club Creed on quality paper. A fern plant was purchased for Doris Pratt. Ella Hughes to meet with McIntosh School trustees and Frieda Kuster with Capay Trustees regarding beautifying the school grounds. Short discussion on exhibiting at the fair.

1920 September 1- Thank You to Ray Stubbs for beautiful lettering on booklets. Thank You to Mr. Jones for donation of Song Booklets. Motion made and carried to inquire about the club obtaining a County Branch Library. Program on California Laws presented by Edith Smith, Gertie Sullivan and Maud Clark.

1920 September 15 -Communication from County Librarian re: establishing a branch in Maud Clark's home read. Communication from California Federation of Women's Club read and discussed; Committee to meet with Farm center re: community property law; Discussion regarding taking children to the Fair. Two new members:  Eva Cox and Mrs. Charles B. Steward.

1920 October 13 - Agnes Giles reported from Road Committee and of visits to see the sick. Committee to draw up resolutions about daily Bible readings in the schools. One new member:  Mrs. J. G. Depew.

1920 October 27- Jessie Clark recalled the resolution regarding Bible Readings. The ideas of a Club House and a Fair Booth were discussed. Four new members:  Mayme Novak, Jessie Hale, Clara Carrico and Mrs. Randell.

1920 November 10- Ways and Means Committee reported; Invitation from Chico Art Club respectfully declined; Miss Middleton gave a talk on children's library books. Two new members:  Louisa Fairchild and Helen Heller.

1920 December 1- Agnes Giles reported work was being done on Capay Avenue. Agnes Giles also reported visiting Mrs. Sullivan and Mrs. Agnes Day and presenting ferns to each on behalf of the club.

1920 December 15- Motions made and carried to have the Ways and Means Committee decide about booth in the fair and for the Secretary to pay the dues to State and District Federated Women's Clubs. Hettie Hauert demonstrated making Fondant.

1920 December 29 - Club voted to have a chicken booth at the fair. (Assuming this meant selling fried chicken for people to eat.)

1921 January 12 - Ways and Means Committee decided to have a "Hard Times" dinner at the McIntosh School to raise funds to pay for beautifying the school grounds. The supper would be baked beans, steamed brown bread, pumpkin pie and coffee - adults 25 cents and children under 12 years, 15 cents.

to be continued


Colusi County Historical Society

Annual Dues = $20.00 Individual-Family; $40.00 Benefactor;  $100.00 Patron

Membership Contact:

Colusi County Historical Society, P O Box 643, Willows, CA 95988

Web site =

Wagon Wheels, journal of the Colusi County Historical Society, is published twice a year. Editor, Gene H. Russell, Ed.D, welcomes manuscripts about the history and people of Colusa, Glenn and Tehama Counties. Submission deadlines are:  March 1 for the April 15 publication and August 1 for the September 15th publication.

Submit to: Gene, H. Russell, Ed.D., Editor, 123 Central St., Orland, CA 95963-1830; telephone (530) 865-9555 or email:


Gold Nugget Museum & Paradise Depot Museum

Gold Nugget Museum located at  502 Pearson Road, Paradise, CA

Mailing address:  P O Box 949, Paradise, CA 95967

Telephone:  (530) 872-8722

Paradise Train Depot Museum is situated on the grounds of the Paradise Community Park at the corner of Pearson and Black Olive.

Membership includes both Museums with annual membership levels of $25 Senior; $35 Individual; $50 Family; $75 Supporter; $100 Platinum and $500 In Memory.

All members receive the bi-monthly Newsletter, Invitations to Museum events; twice yearly Tales of the Paradise Ridge Publication; 10% Discount in the Museum Gift Shops.

Membership supports the following programs:  Pioneer School Program; Days of Living History; Paradise Depot; Maidu Indian Program; Jim Scales Tool Building.

The Gold Nugget Museum nd Paradise Depot Museum sponsors the annual  Gold Nugget Days Celebration.

The 2014 Celebration runs from Thursday- Sunday April 24, 25, 26, 27. See the Dogtown Nugget Souvenir Publication for details and events.


Heritage Junction of McCloud

A wonderful little museum located in the historic lumber town of McCloud. Open May through October

Address:  320 Main Street, McCloud, CA 96057

Tele:  530 964-2604


Historical Society Publications

Do you have a story to tell? The following publications are always looking for interesting stories:

Memories = Tehama County Genealogical and Historical Society

Wagon Wheels = Colusi County Historical Society (Includes Colusa, Glenn and Tehama Counties)

The Covered Wagon = Shasta Historical Society

The Diggins = Butte County Historical Society

Yearbook = Trinity County Historical Society

Siskiyou Pioneer = Siskiyou County Historical Society

Humboldt Historian = Humboldt County Historical Society

Tales of the Paradise Ridge = Gold Nugget Museum

Check your Society Newsletters for contact and submission information. Don't procrastinate, just do it! We'll all be glad you did!


Humboldt County Historical Society

Location:  703 8th Street, Eureka, CA 95501

Mail:  P O Box 8000, Eureka, CA 95502-8000

Tele:  (707)445-4342

Fax:  (707) 445-4146



Check the website for hours of operation.

The beautiful two-story Colonial Revival style house, home to the HCHS offices, and research library is easy to find and a pleasure to visit. The staff are very helpful and the library is clean, well organized and comfortable for research.


Kelly Griggs House Museum

Located at 311 Washington Street in Red Bluff, Tehama County, California, the museum is a wonderful example of how people lived in the 1880's. Exhibits include furniture, costumes, wall art, basketry and more. Tours are avaialble and book releases, fundraisers and other events are held within the house or beautiful yard.

The Kelly-Griggs House Museum Association was organized in 1965, as a non-profit, educational corporation for the sole purpose of purchasing the Victorian from the last remaining Kelly and renovating it to "help preserve the past for present and future generations." The museum is supported entirely by memberships, donations and fundraising events. Admission is by voluntary donation.

Call (530) 527-1129 for hours, tours or other information.~



Lassen County Historical Society

P O Box  321, Susanville, CA 96130

Preserves history of Lassen County and the Museum on Weatherlow Street, Susanville, open May through October.

Tele:  (530) 257-3292 or (530) 253-3434


Lassen Loomis Chapter 1914 E Clampus Vitus

The Chapter takes its name from Peter Lassen and Benjamin Franklin Loomis both associated with Lassen Peak, and from the year 1914, the beginning of the volcanic eruptions of Lassen Peak. The territory for the Chapter stretches from the northern and eastern borders of Shasta County down the east side of I-5 to the southern and eastern borders of Tehama County. Lassen Loomis Chapter 1914 received its full Chapter status from Trinitarianus Chapter 62 on 1 May 2004.

Lassen Loomis 1914 has established historical plaques at Hat Creek Station, Old Station; Tehama Jail, Tehama City; Forward Brothers' Sawmill, Manton; The Tehama Railroad Bridge, Tehama; Noble Emigrant Trail, Shingletown; Old Station Post Office, Old Station; Klub Klondike, Lakehead; Miners Inn (Liersch House), Corning; The Hotel Maywood, Corning; Inwood School, Shingletown; Moore's Blacksmith Shop, Red Bluff; Viola Lumber Company, Shingletown; and other sites not currently in the brochure.

For more information:  ECV Lassen-Loomis 1914, P O Box 592, Manton, CA 96059


Modoc County Museum

600 S. Main St., Alturas, CA 96101

(530) 233-6328

Features Marc & Myrtle Belli's Indian and Pioneer artifacts; photos, papers, and gun collections.


Mt. Shasta Sisson Museum

Founded in 1983 to present and educate via exhibits, demonstrations, and annual activities, the social, economic and natural history of the Mount Shasta area.

To visit:  From I-5 take Central Mt. Shasta City exit # 738, head west to Old Stage Road into the Mount Shasta Fish Hatchery grounds. No entry fee.

Address:  #1 North Old Stage Road, Mt. Shasta, CA 96067

Tele:  530 926-5508



Orland Historical & Cultural Society (OHCS)

Formed in the spring of 1977 when members of the Orland 1976 Bi-Centennial Committee called a town meeting. A vote was taken to continue the successful 200th Bicentennial Celebration in 1976 as an annual event and form the Orland Historical and Cultural Society (OHCS).

The number one goal:  The historical preservation of the community of Orland.

In 1981, the relocation and preservation of the "Southern Pacific Depot" to the Glenn County Fairgrounds was completed.

In 1985, the Schmidt family house was given to OHCS by Edna Schmidt Ingraham. Edna requested that the house be named for her sister Alta. Thus at the corner of Fourth and Yolo Streets in Orland is located the OHCS Museum or "Alta Schmidt House".

Behind the house is the "Ingranook" where research materials and clerical workshop space is located.

In 1988, the "Heritage Trail" was started at the Glenn County Fairgrounds which includes over 15 historic structures of local interest.

OHCS sponsors the Annual Orland Craft Fair during Thanksgiving weekend as its main fundraiser.

Meetings are held the 3rd Tuesday of every odd-numbered month at 7:30 in the Depot Building at the Glenn County Fairgrounds.

Yearly Dues:  Student = $1.00; Individual/Family = $15.00; Associate = $25.00

Contact:  (530) 865-5444 or (530) 865-9555U.S.

Postal Address:  P O Box 183, Orland, California 95963


Paradise Genealogical Society

The Paradise Genealogical Society, Inc., P O Box 460, Paradise, CA 95967-0460 [Butte County] publishes annually the Genealogical Goldmine.Compiled by Kathleen Corrigan and her Committee, the 2011 issue theme is water and is almost 100 pages with a wide range of articles from Water in Perspective to an Index. Focusing on Butte County, stories cross over into the north state and even further south in California.  From humorous such as Old Naval Slang to serious such as Tragedy on the Oroville Dam Project to everything in between this is a very interesting and informative publication.

Paradise Genealogical Society serving all of Butte County

Tele (530) 877-2330

Web site:



Plumas County Museum & Visitor Information Center

500 Jackson Street, Quincy, CA 95971  (530) 283-6320  Open 10 am to 4 pm, Tuesday thru Saturday, Adult admission to the Museum = $2.00

Well worth the beautiful drive to Quincy to browse the interesting displays, shop in the ample bookshop and spend time in the research center. Helpful staff and a clean and very pleasant environment. Consider supporting the preservation of Plumas County history with a membership or tax deductible contribution.

Other sites:


Ronald McDonald House Pop-Tab Collection Program

The Ronald McDonald House provides a warm place of respite from long hours at the hospital for the families and a place for them to enjoy the company of others in a similar situation or cook a hot meal or rest in a comfortable bed. These families have children being treated in the nearby Shriners' Medical Facility. As a fundraiser for these services the RMH has an agreement with a local recyle facility to receive premium value for aluminum pop or pull tabs.

Please save the aluminum pop-tabs for this worthy cause!



Sacramento Valley Museum

P O Box 1437 (1491 "E" Street), Williams, CA 95987; Call (530) 473-2978; Kathy Manor, Museum Director

Building erected in 1911 as Williams Union High School; opened as museum 14 February 1963. Celebrating 50 years in 2013, the museum houses a permanent collection containing all aspects of life in Colusa County including family, community, religious life, recreation, leisure, agriculture, education and business.

Open from mid-January to mid-November Thursdays, Fridays & Saturdays, 10 am to 4 pm or by appointment.

Small admission fee. Memberships available. Small store within the building.


Shasta Genealogial Society

Browse the website @

Find Membership forms, newsletters, publications for sale and much, much more on the website.

Address:  Shasta Genealogical Society, P O Box 493431, Redding, CA 96049-3431

Visit the SGS Table at the Annual Heritage Faire, 3410 Churn Creek Road, Redding, CA.


Shasta Lake Heritage & Historical Society


Visitors Center Museum located:  1525 Median Street, Shasta Lake

Boomtown Museum open:   M/T/W & Saturday, 10-2; Closed on Holidays

P O Box 562, Shasta Lake, CA 96019

Tele: (530) 275-3995 and E-mail:

Website:  http//

This 501(c)3 non-profit organization came into existance in 2001 through the foresight of Barbara Cross and Evelyn Hoppes, both daughters of Shasta Dam project workers.

"We focus on preserving the heritage and culture of the Shasta Lake area with emphasis on pictures and stories of the people - the early pioneers, the Native Americans, the people who came to work on Shasta Dam, and those who remained in the surrounding area after the Dam was completed."

As the daughter of one of those Shasta Dam and Shasta Lake Bridge workers who also had a lumber business in Project City (Giessner Bros. Lumber) and the Grand and Great-Grand of the early positioned Auto Court and Service Station called the Midway at Project City owned by the W. J. Hammans family, I find the collections at the SLH&HS very interesting.