Saturday
Jul142012

"Humboldt County"

1853, Humboldt County created. Named for Alexander von Humboldt, Prussian Scientist.

1855 April 24, Daily Democratic State Journal- The Humboldt county papers speak in very encouraging terms of business prospects in that region. Every man appears to be profitably employed, and the loafers of the large California cities are invited to travel thitherward and try their fortune.~

1859, According to The State Register and Year Book of Facts, California, 1859 -  Humboldt County had the following post offices:  Bucksport, Eel River, Eureka, and Uniontown. She later gained a few early established post offices when Klamath County was eliminated.~

1859, According to the State Register and Year Book of Facts, California, 1859 , there were 5 Grist Mills in Humboldt County:  EEL RIVER - called Cooper's - owned by Cooper, Newell & Co - 1 stone - run by water - worth $5,000.; EUREKA - owned by W. R. Duff - 2 stones - steam - worth $20,000.; HOOPA VALLEY - (Klamath Co.) owned by J. Akileson - 3 stones - water - worth $7,000.; MAD RIVER - owned by Septhen Hopkins - 1 stone -water - worth $5,000.; UNION - owned by T.J. Titlow & Co. - 1 stone - steam - worth $5,000.~

1865 October 9, Lowell Daily Citizen and News -The ladies of a social circle in Humboldt county, California, have forwarded a novel present to General Grant. It is a silk bedspread, one side of which is composed of red and white silk stripes, while the other is a blue silk ground, upon which are neatly wrought, in the national colors, thirty-six miniature flags - one for each state- with the name of each embroidered upon the blue ground of each little flag. In the centre is the national coat of arms and motto:  "E pluribus unum," with other appropriate inscriptions. The article brought eight hundred dollars at a sanitary fair in California.~

1875 April 1, Sacramento Daily Union - Location of the Granges of the Patrons of Husbandry in this State (California) by Name, Post Office, County:

Elk River, Eureka, Humboldt

Ferndale, Ferndale, Humboldt

Kimelattah, Arcata, Humboldt

Mattole, Petrolia, Humboldt

Rohnerville, Rohnerville, Humboldt

Table Bluff, Table Bluff, Humboldt.~

1915, Panama-Pacific International Exposition San Francisco February to December 1915 - Visitor Booklet - The main feature of the exhibit of Humboldt County at the exposition will be a log and stump house. The log and stamp will be twenty feet in diameter taken from a section of a tree 2000 years old. Inside of the stump will be an art exhibit representing oil painting of the forests of Humboldt, also the dairying and agricultural lands, and fishing and hunting scenes. There will be exhibited one of Mr. C.T. Wilson's celebrated oil paintings of the Redwoods, painted specially for the exposition at a cost of $1,000. Inside of the log, which is twenty feet in diameter and twenty feet high, will be exhibited the lumber products of the county, both in finished and unfinished state.

Immediately on entering the Humboldt section will be seen a relief map of the county, seven and a half feet wide by fifteen feet long, to be set on a pedestal of native woods of the county, very highly finished, hand carved. Back of this will be featured the dairy and agricultural exhibits, also a display of hortocultural products and a very attractive mining display.

The county will have a miniature lighthouse, representing Cape Mendocino light, with a revolving tower made exclusively of apple jelly in glasses.~

Humboldt County also had a 1/2 page advertisement in the booklet ON PAGE 116:

"HUMBOLDT COUNTY, California - The Land of Opportunity, The Playground of the West -Its 2,325,760 acres offer greater and more varied resources than any other county in the State. Leads all the counties in lumber and dairy products - NO IRRIGATION - The cool and refreshing summer climate and abundance of fish and game make it the unrivaled Camping Ground of California - For information and description literature, apply to the HUMBOLDT BOOTH IN THE CALIFORNIA BUILDING OR HUMBOLDT CHAMBER OF COMMERCE, EUREKA, CALIF."~

Saturday
Nov172012

Acorn 

1891 June 11, 4th Class Post Office established as Acorn, Humboldt, California located 8 miles northeast of Korbel and 23 miles southwest of Hoopa. An acorn harvesting site for the Native Americans.

David Wright, First Postmaster.

1892 November 21, Post Office moved 4 miles south with George L. Sowash as the Postmaster.

1894 December 17, William O'Donald, Postmaster.

1896 November 17, John F. McAtee, Postmaster.

1904 December 31, Post Office disocntinued and the service moved to Korbel. 

Sunday
Nov252012

Adele > Field's Landing

1889 February 9, (March 8, 1889 per local history) 4th Class Post Office established as Adele, Humboldt, California located 4 miles north of Beatrice and 7 miles south of Eureka. Named after Adele Haughwout, the first Caucasian born at the site.

Tunis Haughwout, First Postmaster.

1889 December 14, The Post Office ws discontinued when the name changed to Field's Landing.~

1889 December 14, 3rd Class Post Office established as Field's Landing, Humboldt, California located 5 miles south of Eureka. Honored Waterman Field, an 1865 settler. The "Landing" stems from the wharf he built on Humboldt Bay.

Tunis Haughwout, First Postmaster.

Tuesday
May282013

Albeeville > Albee

See also:  Klamath County

This post office was established 5 March 1862 in what was Klamath County until the county was dissolved 28 March 1874. Albeeville was discontinued 2 April 1863 and then re-established as Albee, 1 November 1952 in Humboldt County until discontinued 11 June 1962. Located 1 1/2 miles south of Eureka, the location now is within Eureka city limits. Named for J.P. Albee, the first postmaster.

Wednesday
May292013

Alderpoint

1911 February 20, Third Class Post Office established as Alderpoint, Humboldt County, California located 20 miles northeast of Garberville. The name was derived from an Alder tree covered point (bend) in the Eel River. The location was an operation center of the Northwestern Pacific Railroad.

Robert P. Adrian, First Postmaster.

1928 December 8, Mrs. C. Maude Fulmor, Postmaster.

1933 January 10, Frederick M. Helmke, Postmaster.

1937 October 1, Miss Blanche Patton, Postmaster.

1938 February 3, Mrs. Aldora D. Capelle, Postmaster.

1939 May 28, Dr. Wall M. Billings, Postmaster.

1947 August 15, Mrs. Edith M. Dokweiler, Postmaster.

1948 February 24, Mrs. Gladys Gossairt, Postmaster.

1948 March 1, Mrs. Trilby I. Zortman, Postmaster.

1949 January 8, Mrs. Mildred L. Partridge, Postmaster.

1950 August 24, Mrs. Mary M. Tibbitts, Postmaster.

1960 July 31, Mrs. Maxine O. McCreary, Postmaster.

Wednesday
May292013

Alliance

1892 December 14, 4th Class Post Office established as Alliance, Humboldt, California located 1 1/2 miles north of Arcata, and named for an organization of farmers of the area.

Jerry R. Brown, First Postmaster.

1897 July 15, Thomas St. Louis, Postmaster.

1899 October 5, William J. McConaghy, Postmaster.

1902 May 1, William J. Hill, Postmaster.

1903 June 6, Richard A. Green, Postmaster.

1920 February 28, Post Office was discontinued and the service moved to Arcata. 

Saturday
Dec102016

Alton

See:  Hansen > Alton

Wednesday
May292013

Arcata

See:  Union Town, Uniontown or Union > Arcata

Monday
Jun032013

Bald Hill(s)

See also:  Klamath County

This 4th Class Post Office was first established 25 November 1867 in what was Klamath County. When Klamath County was dissolved 28 March 1874, Bald Hills became a part of Humboldt County. Located approximately 31 miles NE of Trinidad and 10 miles SE of Orick when the P. O. was discontinued 23 January 1878, the mail service was moved to Trinidad. John J. Hopkins was the first Postmaster.~

 

Saturday
Apr222017

Bayside

1886 December 4, 3rd Class Post Office established as Bayside, Humboldt, California located 3 miles southeast of Arcata and 8 miles northeast of Eureka on the east side of Arcata Bay.

David F. Dyer, First Postmaster.

1893 August 7, John F. Murray, Postmaster.

1906 December 19, Benjamion E. Barwise, Postmaster.

1910 March 31, Lizzie Barqwise, Postmaster.

1911 July 27, Lucile Griswold, Postmaster.

1916 January 17, Florence L. Rader, Postmaster.

1919 March 27, Hiram Henry, Postmaster.

1930 March 18, Charles O. Lincoln, Postmaster.

1937 February 1, Mrs. Nellie E. Warren, Postmaster.

1952 May 22, Mrs. Nellie E. Johnson, Postmaster.

1957 March 31, Muriel A. Graham, Postmaster.

 

 

Saturday
Apr222017

Bayview

1925 February 6, 4th Class Post Office established as Bayview, Humboldt, California located in the southeast section of Eureka overlooking Humboldt Bay.

George S. Moranda, First Postmaster.

1927 January 19, Lena M. Marcelli, Postmaster.

1935 September 30, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Eureka.

Monday
Dec122016

Beatrice

1884 February 19, 4th Class Post Office established as Beatrice, Humboldt, California located 10 miles south of Eureka and 1 1/2 miles northeast of Table Bluff. Named for Beatrice White.

Berie McNulty, First Postmaster.

1889 January 22, Hiram Thompson, Postmaster.

1890 May 22, Justin N. Adams, Postmaster.

1907 February 11, Frank L. Antognazzi, Postmaster.

1911 January 7, Jacob O. Cloney, Postmaster.

1914 September 28, Michael F. Cloney, Postmaster.

1945 April 30, Mrs. Beatrice A. Schaner, Postmaster.

1955 February 28, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Loleta.

Saturday
Apr222017

Benbow

1929 December 30, 4th Class Post Office established as Benbow, Humboldt, California located 2 miles south of Garberville. The location of a resort hotel built in 1926 by the Benbow Family, pioneer ranchers of the area.

Nellie Baird Brown, First Postmaster.

1930 August 23, Miss Loleta Benbow, Postmaster.

1943-44 - Post Office remained closed.

1953 January 31, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Garberville.

Saturday
Apr222017

Blaine

1893 March 25, 4th Class Post Office established as Blaine, Humboldt, California located 14 miles north of Trinidad and 8 miles south of Orick. Named for James G. Blaine, United States Secretary of State.

Nellie M. Plitsch, First Postmaster.

1895 January 14, Eunice A. Foss, Postmaster.

1895 April 15, Post Office disocntinued and the service moved to Elk.

Saturday
Apr222017

Blocksburgh > Blocksburg

1877 January 30, 4th Class Post Office established as Blocksburgh, Humboldt, California located 21 miles south of Bridgeville and 10 miles north of Alderpoint. Named for Benjamin Blockburger, 1872 settler.

Philip H. Mulford, First Postmaster.

1881 January 31, Frederick W. M. Georgeson, Postmaster.

1886 April 9, Deming L. O'Connor, Postmaster.

1891 December 24, Mrs. Harriet A. Blockburger, Postmaster.

1893 April 29, "h" dropped from spelling - Blocksburgh to Blocksburg. Martin F. Helmke, Postmaster.

1896 January 15, Benjamin Blockburger, Postmaster.

1899 March 30, Vernetta Charles, Postmaster.

1900 November 8, Harriet A. Blockburger, Postmaster.

1903 November 23, Peter T. Hamann, Postmaster.

1908 February 10, William J. Asbill, Postmaster.

1914 June 5, Frank E. Henderson, Postmaster.

1915 October 20, Francis M. Scott, Postmaster.

1916 October 26, Lucena H. Shields, Postmaster.

1925 November 18, Charles E. Wilkinson, Postmaster.

1938 June 25, Max G. Watson, Postmaster.

1940 October 1, Floyd B. Madden, Postmaster.

1942 January 29, Mrs. Clara M. Snider, Postmaster.

1942 October 1, Mrs. Ruth E. Hofer, Postmaster.

1945 June 23, Mrs. Barbara P. Burgess, Postmaster.

1960 February 5, Georgette M. Ripple, Postmaster.

Saturday
Apr222017

Blue Lake

1878 April 8, 2nd Class Post Office established as Blue Lake, Humboldt, California located 19 miles northeast of Eureka. A farming and dairy area also known as the gateway to the mad River Valley. AKA:  Scottsville (no Post Officce)

Clement Chartin, First Postmaster.

1889 August 13, Samuel Baxter, Postmaster.

1892 February 24, George D. Marvin, Postmaster.

1898 June 30, Charles W. Teal, Postmaster.

1905 May 15, Nora A. Teal, Postmaster.

1908 June 22, Herbert A. Barber, Postmaster.

1926 July 2, Herbert A. Barber, Postmaster.

1934 September 21, Mrs. Ida E. Barber, Postmaster.

1940 April 30, Homer Clark, Postmaster.

1971 June 12, Ronald R. Brunson, Postmaster.

Friday
Jul202012

Boynton Prairie

1981 Sept-Oct, The Humboldt Historian, Diana W. Finney - A Place Name, BOYNTON PRAIRIE. 

Located ten miles east of Arcata, Paul Boynton left Cook County, Illinois and arrived in Humboldt County in 1853. In 1857, he and his family moved east of Union (Arcata) on the Trinity Trail. Boynton served as a volunteer guard under Captain Bell during trouble between the whites and the Indians. On Sept. 14, 1858 he was killed within 200 yards of his house by Indians. His land became known as Boynton Prairie.

Saturday
Apr222017

Briceland

1889 June 12, 4th Class Post Office established as Briceland, Humboldt, California located 8 miles west of Garberville. Named for John C. Briceland, developer of the townsite.

John C. Briceland, First Postmaster.

1894 December 28, San Francisco Call, Washington, Dec. 27. - The special mail service from Briceland to Frank, Humboldt County, will be discontinued from January 27, 1895; also from Briceland to Shelter Cove.

1895 June 21, Hugh P. Robson, Postmaster.

1898 April 20, John M. Bowden, Postmaster.

1910 July 22, Delia Smalley, Postmaster.

1912 June 18, Marguerite Thomas, Postmaster.

1915 March 6, Pauline Harris, Postmaster.

1919 March 5, John W. Bowden, Postmaster.

1924 February 27, Mrs. Lottie Bowden, Postmaster.

1943 September 1, Mrs. Ione M. Robinson, Postmaster.

1945 April 24, Mrs. Ureth Mae Parks, Postmaster.

1946 May 31, Mrs. Violet E. Roach, Postmaster.

1947 May 6, Mrs. Dorothy S. Barbour, Postmaster.

1952 February 15, Mrs. Maevis M. Carruth, Postmaster.

1957 September 27, Nelson J. Randall, Jr., Postmaster.

1960 November 25, Mrs. Edith M. Gallaway, Postmaster.

1962 January 6, Changed from 4th Class Post Office to Rural Station Of Garberville.

1966, Changed from Rural Station to Rural Branch.

1968 December 4, Discontinued and the service moved to Garberville.

 

Saturday
Apr222017

Bridgeville

1877 May 4, 3rd Class Post Office established as Bridgeville, Humboldt, California located 42 miles southeast of Eureka. The townsite was near the bridge over the Van Duzen River. A ranching and lumbering community.

John J. Hale, First Postmaster.

1881 November 3, Edmund B. Barnum, Postmaster.

1900 December 15, Alzina Barnum, Postmaster.

1907 June 7, Edmund B. Barnum, Postmaster.

1908 January 9, George G. Kealing, Postmaster.

1908 August 11, Josiah M. McKnight, Postmaster.

1909 June 29, Henry M. Marvel, Postmaster.

1909 December 27, Mark. W. Gordon, Postmaster.

1910 May 4, Maria J. Cox, Postmaster.

1912 February 24, M. sue Ballard, Postmaster.

1915 July 29, George H. Cox, Postmaster.

1924 January 18, George F. Normile, Postmaster.

1937 January 1, Geoege H. Cox, Postmaster.

1955 August 15, Laura J. Pawlus, Postmaster.

Friday
Jul202012

Bucksport

1852, BUCKSPORT- "Established 1 September 1852. The Shasta Courier (3/19/1853) and the Sacramento Daily Union (11/20/1852) lists the Post Office as established 1 September 1852. The Post Office Department lists established date as 2 November 1855, actually the date it became an independent Post Office. It operated as the Post Office for Eureka until 21 January 1853. To add to the confusion, covers exist addressed and dispatched to both Post Offices within and prior to the dates given. Discontinued 15 April 1863. Re-established 16 August 1918. To Central Station of Eureka 1 September 1926. Discontinued 31 March 1934. Named for David A. Buck, who discovered Humboldt Bay, from the landslide, on 20 December 1849."

William Roberts, First Postmaster.

1855 November 3, William Roberts, Postmaster.

1857 January 16, Robert M. Stokes, Postmaster.

1859 March 18, John Shanahan, Postmaster.

1861 September 24, William Roberts, Postmaster.

1981 Sept-Oct, The Humboldt Historian -Place Name, BUCKSPORT.

Town lay-out in 1851 by David A. Buck. It immediately took a position in the ranks of the then rival towns of Humboldt Bay. In 1854 the Masons built a two-story hall with school rooms on the second floor.

At this time the four towns of the bay were Bucksport, Humboldt, Eureka and Union.

Bucksport was made the port of entry and in 1856 contained a church, two hotels, a sawmill, store, and private residences.