1890, A 4th class post office established 25 December 1890, and named for Joseph and Jess L. Addington who farmed the area in the 1870's and 1880's. Located 25 miles NW of Merrillville and 15 miles SE of Hayden Hill the PO was discontinued 15 May 1894, re-established 12 March 1908 and discontinued for good 15 December 1910 when the service moved to Merrillville. Emma E. Burch was the first postmistress.~
1890, Established 31 December 1890, this 4th Class Post Office was named for Amedee Moran of the Northern California-Oregon Railroad. The location was the terminus of the line. Located 4 miles S of Wendel, service was discontinued 20 February 1924 when Wendel assumed the responsibility. Lewis W. Brubeck was the first Postmaster.~
"Amedee Moran was one of the Moran brothers (Moran Brothers Bank of New York) who obtained the N-C-O railroad through a foreclosure sale. The town of Amedee was named after him. The town of Wendell was named by Amedee's brother, Thomas Moran, on behalf of a friend." - Randall C. Lorenz~
1892 March 29, Sacramento Daily Union - Notaries Public - Governor Markham appointed the following Notaries yesterday: Charles Teague, Amedee, Lassen County.~
1873, A 4th Class Post Office established approximately 3 miles N of present day Bieber on 30 July 1873 and discontinued on 22 March 1878 when the service moved to Hayden Hill. John W. Isawan was the first Postmaster.~
1889, A 4th Class Post Office was established 12 June 1889 beside Ash Creek located 20 miles SE of Adin and 13 miles W of Madeline. Benjamin Bath was the first Postmaster. The P.O. was moved 1 mile NE from its original location on 4 June 1897 and then discontinued on 30 November 1900 when the service moved to Madeline.~
1879, "Post Office established and named for Nathan Bieber, who in 1877 built the first store and house at the crossing of Pit River known as Chalk Ford."- Erwin G. Gudde~
1930 July 1, Republic- CENSUS TAKER FINDS ONE RESIDENT IN TOWN, Redding, Cal., June 28 - Nevadaville, Colorado with one resident finds its equal or better in northern Lassen county where Asa McKenzie of Bieber, Cal., census enumerator, found only one resident. "The man I found said he was only 'visiting' so I lost 4 cents a name the government pays for making the census," said McKenzie.~
1880 June 26, Shasta Courier - "William Burgett, after whom the prosperous town of Burgettville was named, is active in building new roads in Big Valley. Bill is a rustler and knows what is for the interest for the locality in which he resides and nothing contributes more to the prosperity if any locality that good, well-kept highways."~
1908, - History of California Post Offices 1849-1976 - "Doyle - Post Office established 29 January 1908 in Lassen County. Named for John W. and Stephan A. Doyle, 1860's settlers. Located 19 miles SE of Milford and 24 miles north of Plumas Junction, per Postal Route Map (PRM)."~
Eagle Lake is a natural lake located about 15 miles north of Susanville in Lassen County, California. It is the second largest natural lake in California located entirely within the state. At at elevation of just over 5,000 feet, Eagle lake is unique in that one end is in pine forest and the other in the desert. About 14 miles long and shaped like a bird's large wing span, the lake may have been mistakenly named for the Eagle when it was really an Osprey. The lake's history is ripe with natural curiosities and man's attempts to change her natural state.~
1873 February 21, San Francisco Bulletin - The Lassen Advocate of February 15th says: Merrill, the agent of a number of capitalists in this State, has been with us this past week. It is the intention of this gentleman to run a tunnel from Willow Creek Valley to tap the waters of Eagle Lake, a distance of over one mile, by which operations it is estimated 1,000,000 acres of land will be reclaimed in and about Eagle Lake and over 500,00 acres made valuable for agricultural purposes by irrigation in Willow Creek and Honey Lake valleys which are now worthless. The project, though immense, is feasible and once completed, will prove one of the most gigantic and remunerative constructions in the State. It will not only make valuable one and a half million acres of land which is now worthless, but will furnish a supply of water by which hundreds of acres of valuable mineral lands in the county can be worked, which is now of no value because water cannot be obtained. An effort is now being made to secure the establishment of a daily mail from Reno to Susanville.~
1880 January 10, San Francisco Bulletin- Eagle Lake, lying 10 miles south of Susanville, is as fine a body of water as there is in the State, being about 60 miles in circumference and in form like an eagle with wings extended, from which and the great number of eagles around there, the lake derived its name. Game of all kinds is abundant, while the water is thick with very fine fish, among which are salmon trout, mullet of three different kinds and a native white fish. Commissioner B. B. Redding last winter forwarded to Sanders & Dow 130,000 Lake Michigan white fish, which they successfully planted in the lake this summer. The same gentlemen have planted 1,000 Hudson River catfish in the waters of the county, a part of them being put in Honey and Eagle lakes. - Corr. Reno Gazette.~
1921 May 7, Evening Tribune(San Diego, CA) - J. B. Christie of Eagle Lake recently visited Susanville. He says an auto can easily make it to the foot of the grade on either side, but from there over the summit a horse is needed. Christie thinks it will be a week or more before cars can get through.~
1866, - History of California Post Offices 1849-1976 - "Evan's Ranch established 28 May 1866. Discontinued 24 June 1868. Named for Alvira Evans, the 1st post master. Located 25 miles SE of Milford and 16 miles north of Summit, Plumas County per Application for Post Office (AFPO)."~
1871 April 13, 4th Class Hayden, Lassen, California established 26 miles southeast of Bieber per 1884 Postal Route Map. Named for J.W. Hayden, who with others, discoverd gold in 1869. AKA Providence City without a post office.
Augustine W. Blair, First Postmaster.
1873 June 30, San Francisco Bulletin, Postal Changes in California, Washington, June 29th - Postmasters appointed at Hayden Lassen county, California, Samuel Fair...
1875 October 15, P O discontinued.
1878 August 12, P O re-established this time as Hayden Hill.
1883 March 3, Shasta Courier - Bill Burgett, after whom the town of Burgettville is named, proposes to open a blacksmith shop at Hayden Hill.~
1887 April 2, Discontinued.
1888 March 9, P O Re-established.
1895 June 21, From Hayden Hill to one-word, Hayden.
1912 June 30, P O discontinued.
1915 February 9, P O re-established.
1919 July 31, P O discontinued and service moved to Bieber.
1861, - History of California Post Offices 1849-1976 -"Janesville established 19 December 1861 and discontinued 19 January 1864. Site in Lassen County from Shasta, when Lassen County established 1 April 1864. Re-established 15 June 1864. Discontinued 2 July 1914 when name changed to Lassen. Name "Janesville" restored by petition 22 September 1923." Located 13 miles SE of Susanville, the name honors Mrs. Jane Bankhead, whose husband Malcolm built a hotel in 1857 that became the nucleus of the town.~
1861, According to Henry E. Lomas the settlement at Bankhead's was named Janesville in the fall of 1861 in honor of Mrs. Jane Bankhead, the wife of Malcom Bankhead.
In 1863, Mr. and Mrs. Smith J. Hill stated that in May, when their daughter Jane Agnes was a year old, Hill and L.N. Breed named the place where she was born "Janesville" in her honor.
Various people "swear by" each version. - Fairfield's Pioneer History of Lassen County, California.~
1875 March 23, Owyhee Daily Avalanche - A Law was passed by the late Congress providing for the sale of desert lands in Lassen County, California. Under its provisions any person may become possessed of 600 acres or more of sage brush land in that region by introducing water upon the same within two years and then paying one dollar and a quarter per acre for the section thus taken possession of. Quite a number of families from the Eastern States will go out there soon and locate.~
1880 January 10, San Francisco Bulletin - Growth of the Vicinity of Susanville. Large numbers of sage brush farms have been located in Lassen County this season. All the sawmills have been busy sawing fencing, which is hauled away almost as fast as sawed. Winter grain did well as far as tried on the new land. This was an unusually dry season; however, ten bushels per acre were raised on dry sage land.~
1880 May 18, San Francisco Bulletin, State News in Brief - A Literary Society has been organized in Susanville. A lady named Mrs. Ford is President of the Lassen County Board of Education. The Susanville and Taylorsville telegraph line has been sold to E. A. Weed of the Lassen Advocate.~
1880 September 23, San Francisco Bulletin, State News in Brief - Much sickness in Susanville. Cold nights and frosts in portions of Lassen.~
1882 January 25, San Francisco Bulletin - J. D. Byers of Lassen County, recently shipped to Oakland 180 head of choice beeves, it being his third shipment, amounting in all to 600 head.~
1864, - History of California Post Offices 1849-1976 - "Milford, Established 20 June 1864. Discontinued 8 September 1879. Re-established 15 October 1879. A flour mill at the ford across Mill Creek motivated the name. Located 25 miles SE of Susanville. Perry B. Bronson, 1st post master."~
1888 October 12, San Francisco Bulletin - Milford, Lassen county, post office for postal notes only per the U.S. Postal Department.~
1863, "In the spring or early summer H. C. Stockton brought a sawmill from near Horsetown in Shasta county and set it up on Susan River a mile and a half above the Devil's Corral bridge. It was a water mill and was run until the end of the century." - Fairfield
1860 October 25, Constitution, Post Office Operations: Susanville - Utah Territory.
1862, "The first post office in the county was established at Susanville. Governor Roop was appointed postmaster and he held the office until his death in 1869. His office was always in a little building on the north side of Main Street about the middle of the street between Lassen and Gay."
"Previous to July 1862 the mail and express were brought from Oroville to the valley this year by a man named Fargo." - Fairfield
1865 March 7, Idaho Statesman - A contract for carrying of the mail between this place [Boise] and Susanville, in Lassen County, California, 500 miles and back, twice a month, was to be let at Washington City on the 6th inst.~
1866, Quotes from Fairfield's Pioneer History of Lassen County, California - In 1866 "the government established the first United States mail route between Susanville and Virginia City. Granville Woods had the contract which began in July. He ran a stage line and carried the mail until that fall or the next spring, and then Charles Cramer bought the line and ran it until July 1870. In 1869, he had a partner named Kline."
"About this time a post office was established at Janesville with L.N. Breed as post master. . ." -
". . .one at Milford with Charles Batterson as post master, . . ."
". . .and another at the Evans Ranch in the north end of Long Valley. Alvaro Evans was post master at the latter place for a couple of years, and then the post office was moved to the ranch of John W. Doyle who was the post master for a great many years."~
1917 October 1, San Jose Mercury News, Susanville, Cal., Sep 30 - Several hundred delegates from northern California, southern Oregon and Nevada were on hand her today at the opening of the annual meeting of the Northern California Counties Association.
One of the features of the meeting will be the dedication of a monument marking the resting place of Peter Lassen, in honor of whom the county and America's only active volcano is named. Lassen brought the first Masonic charter into California for the lodge formed at the old mining town of Shasta, Shasta county. Vice President Jules Alexander of the Northern California Counties' body collected the funds to build the Lassen Monument.
Among the prominent speakers will be: State Market Director Harris Weinstock. Frederick J. Koster, President of the San Francisco Chamber of Commerce; Albert Lindsey of the Practical Farmers League; Fred Shaffer of the Yolo County Board of Trade; Judge Francis Carr of Redding and others.~
1921 April 17, Oregonian- Susanville, Cal - E. W. Hayden, one-time associate in Virginia City of Mark Twain, retired here recently after 55 continuous years as printer and editor in California. he has been publisher of the Lassen Advocate here for years.~
1965 June 14, Omaha World Herald (Omaha, Nebraska) Susanville, Cal - A fire raged for seven hours through the Eagle Lake Lumber Company Sunday morning. Damage was estimated at six million dollars.
A complex of five interconnected buildings was leveled and millions of board feet of kiln-dried lumber were destroyed.
The inferno raced through 40 acres of buildings and yards. The facility-one of the major industries of this Sierra Nevada community-was a total loss, a spokesman said. There were no injuries.~
1863, According to Daniel W. Bryant: "In 1863 P.W. Cunningham and Fred S. Johnson agreed to move a grist mill belonging to Dr. John M. Briceland [a physician of Shasta City] from Cow Creek near Millville [Shasta County] to Toadtown (Johnsonville) [Lassen County]."
"Briceland's mill had been undermined by the stream and was about to fall into it. . ."Briceland agreed with the two men from Honey Lake to take the grist mill machinery for one half interest. - Fairfield's Pioneer History of Lassen County, California.~
1902, History of California Post Offices 1849-1976 - 4th class post office established 15 November 1902 at Johnsonville honored Robert Johnson, Pioneer and Developer of the community. AKA Toadtown (no P O). Located 3 miles W of Clinton and 5 miles SE of Susanville. Andrew L. Spoon was the first postmaster.~
1862, "Sandy Young and perhaps Hy Good came into the valley this year with about a thousand of General John Bidwell's cattle. They built a cabin on the south side of the valley just below where Round Valley opens into it and kept the cattle there until 1864." - Fairfield