Rancho de las Flores
Friday, December 14, 2012 at 10:35AM
Jo Giessner

Flores - Spanish word for flowers.

1832 - William Chard came to California from New Mexico in a trapping party that included Cyrus Alexander, Samuel Carpenter and others.~

1837 - William George Chard of Columbia County, New York, became a naturalized citizen in California for Mexico. At times he was called "Guillermo" Spanish word for William.~

1844 December 22- William George "Guillermo" Chard received the grant land of 13,315 acres from Manuel Micheltorena located in what became Tehama County (1856) south of the Belden (Ide) grant of Barranca Colorada and along the west side of the Sacramento River. Today's communities of Gerber and Proberta are on Rancho de las Flores grant land.~

1857 August 1, Sacramento Daily Union - Red Bluff Beacon has information that the residence of Mr. William Chard, about three miles from Tehama, was destroyed by fire on the 24th July. The fire broke out at about 12 o'clock at night, and the flames progressed so rapidly that Mrs. Chard who was sleeping in the house at the time, would have been burned had it not been for the timely and gallant exertions of the vaqueros, who cut a hole in the corner of the house and rescued her from the crackling element that surrounded her, and which rendered her perfectly helpless. The house was not of much value, but contained many valuable papers, some of which Mr. Chard had been in possession of as far back as twenty-four years, when first he became a resident of California. The house can be rebuilt, but the carefully preserved relics of early gathering cannot be restored, only in so far as memory may perchance render assistance.~

1859 June 9, San Francisco Bulletin - Letter from Los Angeles - Arrival of an Old Resident of Los Angeles - Among the passengers from the East, last Wednesday, was William G. Chard, of Tehama, now just from New Orleans and San Antonio, whither he has been on a visit. Mr. Chard was a resident of Los Angeles twenty-odd years ago - having come over in 1832. Of the party that came with him then, there only remain Mr. Alexander of Russian River, and Mr. Carpenter and Mr. Paulding of this county. The old poblanos, who used to know Mr. Chard in those old times, were glad to see him again after so long an interval and after so many changes. Mr. Chard has been one of the successful old settlers in his business relations. He has a valuable ranch, a store and a newspaper in Tehama. He went East by water and came back overland. He prefers the latter route. From San Antonio to El Paso, he came by the extreme southern route, from thence, by Butterfield route. He was allowed to take his time; he stopped several days at El Paso and Los Angeles.~

1859 September 19- Patent date for the Rancho de las Flores Mexican Land Grant in the name of William George Chard.~

1859 December 13, San Francisco Bulletin - Marriages - In Tehama County, December 4, E. J. Lewis to Anita Chard.~

1872 October 5, San Francisco Bulletin, The Sacramento Valley, Land There - Its Price and Products-Where Small Farms May Be had - Redding, Shasta County, October 1st, Information for Land Buyers - ". . . The next grant, on the north is that of William G. Chard. It is nearly all cut up and owned in small farms. Colonel E. J. Lewis, a well-known politician, is one of the largest owners on the Chard tract. He is extensively engaged in wheat raising. . ."

1877 September 20, Sacramento Daily Union, W. Chard, one of the largest land proprietors of Tehama County was found dead on the ranch of his daughter, Mrs. Senator E. J. Lewis, Wednesday evening.~

1892 December 28, Red Bluff Daily News - Death of Stephen Chard - 

1919 August 29, Red Bluff Daily News - Mrs. Anita Lewis Passes Away At Age Seventy-Eight - Mrs. Anita Lewis, one of Tehama county's oldest residents died at her home in Proberta last evening of heart failure. She was taken ill and before a doctor arrived from Red Bluff, had passed away. The funeral arrangements have not yet been completed.

Mrs. Lewis was born Christmas day 1840 in Santa Clara, California. Her father was William Chard and her mother was Marie Robles, a Spanish woman. In the spring of 1842 the Chards in company with Colonel Bidwell and Captain Thomes came north and settled in Tehama county.

Chard took up a large tract of about 15,00 acres of land under a Spanish grant, which reached from what is now known as Elder Creek to some distance north of Proberta and east to the Sacramento river.

In the early sixties Anita Chard married E.J. Lewis who assisted his father-in-law on the ranch for several years and who later studied law. Lewis was for many years one of the leading lawyers of Northern California and was considered one of the most eloquent speakers in the entire state. During the seventies her represented Tehama County in the state senate. In 1879 he was elected as the first superior judge of Tehama county under the new constitution. Lewis died of tuberculosis in the spring of 1881 after which his wife and five surviving children took up their residence at Proberta. One of Mrs. Lewis' sons, William, served as district attorney of Tehama county for one term. Mrs. Lewis is survived by four children, Nettie L., Worth P., Josephine, and Leland S. Lewis.~

Article originally appeared on History & Happenings (http://HistoryandHappenings.squarespace.com/).
See website for complete article licensing information.