Igo Mining District
Wednesday, August 15, 2012 at 8:26AM
Jo Giessner

1881 January 20, San Francisco Bulletin , via Redding Independent -

If there is one part of Shasta County more prosperous than another, it is the country about Igo. There are a number of nice little farms that are netting their owners a good living and a little beside; but the principal industry is mining. With the aid of the recently invented gravel elevator a new impetus has been given to hydraulic mining, and near Igo are numerous claims of rich gravel which heretofore could not be worked, owing to lack of sufficient fall, but which with the elevator can be made to yield large dividends. The quartz interest is also looking up.

The Chicago Company, O. Engle, Superintendent, after waiting for the rain, are now getting in their heavy work. Two small bars of bullion were shipped not long since, and on Monday Dunham's express conveyed to Anderson for shipment a bar weighing 27 1/2 pounds which was taken out of two tons of rock. Although the ore in the Chicago is somewhat base, it will abundantly pay to work.

R. G. Harvey, Superintendent of the Hardscrabble hydraulic mine, has twelve men employed, and with three giants under way, is doing splendid execution.

Ginsby & Holland of San Francisco have entered into arrangements with Warren Dunham to put up a gravel elevator at his gravel mine near Igo. This mine is situated in a flat and cannot be worked except by the recently patented  gravel elevator.

Jack McConnell & Co. have nearly completed their elevator, and in about three weeks will work their gravel mines opposite Horsetown at the Gleason ranch.~

1893 September 12, Dallas Morning News (Dallas, TX) - from Chicago, Ill - Dissension in the Igo Consolidated Mining Company has led Thomas J. Reid, a stockholder and former vice-president to file a bill in the circut court asking for an accounting and the appointment of a receiver to wind up the affairs of the concern. The company owns mines twenty-five miles northwest of Anderson, Shasta County, California.~

1915 - The Igo Mining District is 13 miles southwest of Redding, and some good placer ground has been worked in this section. The debris law has stopped hydraulic operations. The quartz mining has been carried on to a limited extent. The pay shoots are short but carry good values in gold. Good wagon road from Redding to the town of Igo. The same general conditions apply to Ono, some 7 miles west of Igo.~

1915, ATLANTIC MINE - Consists of 100 acres in Sections 17 and 20, T 31 N, R 6 W, 3 miles northwest of the town of Igo, in the Igo Mining District.

Owner:  W. L. Kingsbury.

Two parallel veins about 150 feet apart have been worked in a small way. Pay shoot 70' long and 15' wide, in granite. One tunnel on vein for a distance of 440 feet. A little ore shipped to Selby smelter gave returns of $80 per ton in gold. Small producer. Two men employed. - Mines and Mineral Resources of Shasta County, Siskiyou County, Trinity County by G. Chester Brown (1915)~

1915, BLACK HAWK MINE - Consists of 80 acres in Sec. 14, T 31 N, R 6 W, about 1 mile northwest of Centerville, in the Igo (formerly South Fork) mining district.

Owner:  W. Dunham [Warren Dunham]

One vein, meta-andesite walls, only small amount of development work by a tunnel 440' long. Little ore taken out.Idle. Prospect. -Mines and Mineral Resources of Shasta County, Siskiyou County, Trinity County by G. Chester Brown (1915)~

1915, Mines and Mineral Resources of Shasta County, Siskiyou County and Trinity County -

CLIMAX MINE - Consists of 60 acres in Sec 16 and 21, T 31 N., R 6 W, about 3 miles northwest of Igo.

Owner:  S.W. Robinson

One vein in granite. Ore shoot short, free near surface but base with depth. Only limited amount of development work by means of short tunnels. Old Justin mill dismantled. Has been a small producer. Worked a few months each year. Prospect.~

1915, CRYSTAL MINE, Mines and Minerals of Shasta County, Siskiyou County and Trinity County - Consists of 60 acres, in Sec. 17, T. 31 N., R 6 W., 3 miles northwest of Igo.

Owners:  Kingsbury and Hubbard.

Three parallel veins in granite. Ore is grayish gold-silver sulphide. Pay shoot short and values are not uniform. Only slightly developed with short tunnels. A little ore shipped to smelter gave returns of $50 per ton in gold and silver. Worked a few months during the year. Prospect.~

1915, DIAMOND MINE -  Formerly known as Black Prince, consists of 80 acres, in Sec 18, T 31 N, R 6 W, 4 miles northwest of Igo, in the Igo Mining District.

Owner:  S. W. Robinson

Four veins on the group, but only one, the Black Prince, has been worked. Granite foot wall and meta-andesite hanging. Pay shoot 100 feet long and 2 feet wide, ore base below the surface. A tunnel 400 feet long, short drifts, and one slope on the vein. Ore shipped to smelter gave returns of $50. per ton in gold and silver. Prospect being worked by Roberts and Wheeler of Igo, under a lease.~

1915, GOLDEN CROWN MINE - Consists of 80 acres, in Sec 19, T 31 N, R 6 W, 2 miles northwest of Igo, in the Igo (South Fork) mining district.

Owners:  Dunham & Gilson

One vein 1 foot wide, syenite footwall and granite-porphyry hanging. Short ore shoot, free milling. Prospect, only slightly developed. Little ore shipped to smelter. Idle.~

1915 - Jewel Quarry is located in Sec 25, T 31 N, R 6 W, 2 1/2 miles east of Igo. Massive deposit. Rock grayish in color and similar to Masterton deposit. It has not been worked for several years.

Note: Masterton Quarry was a massive granite deposit 1 1/2 miles S of Stella.~

1915, LODI MINE - Consists of 60 acres, in Sec 16, T 31 N, R 6 W, about 3 1/4 miles north of Igo.

Owners:  W.D. Bull et al

Elevation 1400 feet. One vein 2 feet wide. Short ore shoot. Ore base below the surface, consisting of gold, silver, zinc and galena. Slightly developed with a short tunnel. Little ore shipped. Idle.~

1915- LOST CHANNEL MINE - (drift) mine, consisting of 580 acres, is located in Secs 3, 4 ,34, T 30 and 31 N, R 6 W, and extends southerly from the town of Igo for a distance of 1 1/2 miles.

Owner:  C.A. Russell of Igo.

The bedrock is soft, decomposed granite, slightly tilted. Course of channel is north and south, and contains some pay to a depth of 20 feet below the surface. Best values found 4 feet above bedrock. Workings consist of several tunnels, longest 1800 feet; also a number of old shafts 50 feet deep, all along Dry Creek. About 5 acres have been worked. Some of the gravel is rich. Gold is 875 fine, and sells for $18 per ounce. Leased by Porter and Thompson of Seattle, Washington, who endeavored to work the ground as "dry land" proposition, using a shovel and then dumping the gravel into a rotary grinder, then running the tailings over a short copper plate. Experiment a failure. Power obtained from Northern California Power Company. Holdings now being drilled to determine dredging possibilities. Six men employed. Property has been a producer since 1865, when the first location (the Blue Bird) was made by T. White. Piety Hill drift mine to the northeast.~

Article originally appeared on History & Happenings (http://HistoryandHappenings.squarespace.com/).
See website for complete article licensing information.