Monday
Dec122011

Pioneers @ Shasta Fair, 1927

1927 September 20, Redding Free Press, Anderson, California:

W.W. Elmore Walked Across Plains in 1852 Driving Cattle Herd - Twenty California Pioneers Introduced to crowds at the Shasta County Fair

From W.W. Elmore, who came to California in 1852 as a nine-year-old boy, and who walked across the endless miles of plains driving cattle, each one of the more than 20 pioneers who were introduced at the Anderson fair Saturday could tell a story of much interest in which there is certainly no lack of colorful action.

H.H. Shuffleton, Jr., son of the forty-niner, H.H. Suffleton and secretary of the local parolor of the Native Sons, made the introduction. . . Included in the number were Mrs. Francis Domenici, Mrs. Emma Rockhold, Mrs. A.F. Souza, Sr., Mrs. Nora Ashfield, Mrs. Nellie Dobrowsky, Mrs. Georgia Whitney, Mr. & Mrs. A.W. Glover, Mrs. Belle Stevens, Mrs. Aleinda Hubbard, J.C. Duncan, J.E. Reynolds, Mrs. Mary Jones, W.W. Elmore, Mrs. Ruamie Brown, Mrs. Jerry Culverhouse, Mrs. Ella Sullaway, Mrs. Mary Welch, George Anderson, and L.C. Smith.

Fred Dersch, the oldest living white child born in Shasta County, did not locate the place where the introductions were made until too late for the ceremony. His mother was killed by Indians when he was six years old on the ranch where Dersch now resides.

The large number of women and relatively small number of men present for the event caused Mrs. Nora Ashfield to remark that ,"It looks as if only women crossed the plains in the early days."

Mr. & Mrs. A.W. Glover of Cottonwood announced that they had just celebrated their fifty-fifth wedding anniversary. Both were born in California.

When Mrs. Belle Stevens, Igo postmistress, came forward, Shuffleton said, "This is an introduction in which I take exceptional pride -- my own big sister. She was born in old Shasta in 1857." Mrs. Emma Rockhold is an aunt of Shuffleton's, and it was learned that Mrs. Nellie Dobrowsky and her husband were married by Shuffleton, Sr., who was for many years a justice of the peace.

J.E. Reynolds was introduced as the "shotgun messenger, who for many years protected the Wells Fargo strong box filled with California gold."

Saturday
Jun122010

Property Transfer, 1884

Published in the Shasta Democrat on 6 August 1884, for July transactions:

J.[G.] K. Willard to M. Manasse and L. K. Grim; the n1/2 of sec 13, tp. 29, r 7 w; $5. dated 19 July 1884

E. R. Jones to David Smith; lot in town of Ono; $5. dated 15 July 1884

E. R. Jones to G. K. & C. F. Willard; lot 1 in town of Ono; $5. dated 15 July 1884

Saturday
May192012

S. R. Hubbard Owed Taxes in 1877

1877 January 27, Shasta Courier - DELINQUENT TAX LIST, SHASTA COUNTY FOR 1876-77:

Hubbard, S. R. [Stephen Return], Possessory claim and improvements on South Fork, Clear Creek, known as the Ellsworth Mill Site, and personal property, $25.10.~

Thursday
Jun172010

SELVESTER, Isaac (1854-1930)

It is said Isaac Selvester was born on the ship in the Atlantic Ocean when the family was coming from England to America. For official purposes, his birthplace is noted as Mineral Point, Iowa, Wisconsin, 1 January 1854.

Isaac was the son of George William and Mariah (Bailey) Selvester of Warwickshire, England. George and Mariah married 1 April 1844 in England and had four children before boarding the ship. The couple with about six of their eventual 13 children continued on to the county of Linn, Oregon. One son, Samuel, spent some time in the Fall River Valley of northeastern Shasta County where the Joshua Selvester family was living.

Isaac married Nancy Elizabeth Jones, 15 July 1877, in Walla Walla, Washington. By 1880, the couple and baby, Smith Lynn, were living in Cottonwood, Umatilla, Oregon. Son, Smith Lynn was born 27 Sep 1879, by his own account,  in either Washington or Oregon. 

George William was the second child and son born, 1881 in Oregon, and third son, Joseph Lockhart Selvester, born 10 April 1883, states the location as Weston, Umatilla, Oregon. Grandparents, George and Mariah were also living in Weston at this time.

By 1894, when 4th son, Jesse Isaac Selvester was born, the family was in Colusa County, California. From there they went to Harrison Gulch and settled.

Fifth child, Daisy Bell Selvester, was born 21 March 1896, somewhere in northern California.

The 1900, 1910, and 1920 Census Enumerations gave the Isaac Selvester address as Harrison Gulch. The ranch was really located on Beegum Creek and was a "stopping place" for teamsters about a day's drive out from Red Bluff. It was the former Franklin and Sarah Walcott place. The 1900 Census, however, shows the Walcott and Selvester families were neighbors.

May Kingsbury boarded with the Selvester family as she began her teaching career at the Goldboro summer school in 1901:

"The place where I was to stay for the term was known as a stopping place. It was on Beegum Creek and was about one day's drive from Red Bluff. Here teamsters could get plenty of feed and water for their horses and bed and board for themselves. We were always glad when the teamsters arrived as it meant some excitement for us. There were three big boys in the family and two girls, a girl who helped Mrs. Selvester and I. [By this she means daughter, Daisy, and another girl not family] Those evenings were spent dancing and listening to tall tales. The young teamsters danced while one of the old men fiddled. In those days a violin was known as a fiddle. There being only the two of us [Daisy Selvester and May Kingsbury] we had no trouble about being wall flowers."

In May 1903 a fire, which started in the night, burned the boarding house and most of the out buildings.

In March 1904, as if fire wasn't enough, flooding waters of Beegum Creek took out the Beegum Bridge that was crucial to travel and trade between Red Bluff and Harrison Gulch and other points west.

By May 1904, Isaac Selvester hauled lumber down from the Wildwood Mill, chose a new location  upstream for a better crossing, and with help, built the bridge within ten days.  The freighters were back in business.

The boarding house was replaced by a large, one story family home.

By 1910, George William Selvester bought into his parents operation.

The Harrison Gulch Mining phased down and out and the automobile came on the scene. The Selvesters added services such as gasoline and auto repair, a store, restaurant, campground and swimming hole. The Beegum Resort had said good-bye to the teamster of the old stage road and was catering to the traffic of the Red Bluff-Eureka Auto Stage Road. Isaac even added guided hunting and fishing. By 1928, however, he was getting tired and he turned over his portion of the business to another son, Smith Lynn Selvester.

Isaac died in April 1930 and is buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery in Red Bluff. Nancy moved to Red Bluff and lived until passing in 1932. She, also is buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery.

Of the three "big boys" that Ms. Kingsbury describes, Joseph Lockhart Selvester was the first to marry and move from Beegum. He took Maybell Beryl Belote as his bride on 17 October 1906 in Tehama County.

Throughout their lives this couple with daughters Beryl born in 1907 and Beatrice born 1911 lived in the Ono vicinity farming and stock raising. Maybell was also a teacher and taught at the newly formed Beegum School District in Tehama County, 1918-19. The first six students were Selvester and Linton children.

An interesting note is that for the 1930 Census taking, Maybell Selvester was the enumerator. She called the area where she and Joseph lived as "along the Redding - Knob Road".

Joseph died 3 Mar 1955 and Maybell on 28 Jan 1966. They are buried in the Lawncrest Cemetery in Redding, Shasta, California.

Smith Lynn Selvester married Pleiad Elizabeth Wright on 7 March 1909 in Tehama County. Pleiad's father was Daniel Wright who came by covered wagon to the Vina area of Tehama County. Smith Selvester appears in various Tehama locations in the Census, usually boarding for work. It doesn't appear he stayed at Beegum very long before selling out to his brother George. He died in Vina 8 Dec 1943 and is buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery in Red Bluff. The couple had four children, 2 sons and 2 daughters. Pleiad stayed with her son Raymond in San Luis Obispo County in her golden years and died there on 5 Nov 1969, at the age of 82.

George William Selvester, named for his grandfather, served in the U.S. Army during World War I. He continued living and working at the family businesses in Beegum, leaving every now and then for farming or mining to augment his income. At the age of 46, George married Marie V. Daugherty and they had five children. In 1942, George was back out at Beegum with a Platina mailing address working for himself as he still held the Beegum property but had leased it out. In 1948, he sold it to his son, John.

George William Selvester died 14 Jan. 1950 and is buried by his parents and two of his brothers in the Oak Hill Cemetery in Red Bluff. John Isaac Selvester continued with the Beegum property until December 1955 when he sold to Lester Lancaster. That transaction ended the Selvester family involvement in the once grand Beegum Resort.

Jesse Isaac Selvester, the youngest son, born 2 October 1894, in Colusa County, California, married Garnet Elizabeth Dailey in 1919. The couple had four children, three boys and a girl. Their son, Vernon Lowell Selvester was killed in the Korean War. From 1920 til his death in 1958, Jesse was in the vicinities of Beegum, Platina and Red Bluff. On his 1942 draft card he said he lived at Platina, Shasta County and worked for Donald Woodrum mining near Platina. Jesse died in Shasta County on 8 August 1958 and is buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery in Red Bluff.

Last, but not least is the youngest child and only daughter, Daisy Bell Selvester. Daisy was a big help to her parents working with the Beegum businesses. She married first, Clarence Fred Muncy born in Quincy, Plumas, California but a resident of Knob, Harrison Gulch, in his young manhood. The couple had a son and a daughter. In 1928, she married Frank Nelson Ball and lived in Red Bluff.  Frank played the fiddle at the Saturday night dances in 1947 and 1948 at the Beegum Resort. At the age of 67 years, she married George Henry Bergin. Daisy died in Redding, Shasta, California on 12 May 1967. ~~

 

Saturday
Jan312009

Snowflake

This case came to the attention of Ron Joliff in the research request of the Cleghorn and Eubanks families of S W Shasta. Ron has written for the Shasta Historical Society's 2013 The Covered Wagon. See page 57.

"Snowflake was my grandfather. He was the last 100% Yahi to live. I'm sure of that." - Robert Martin

With all the publicity and political hype of the Ishi story, how could something as profound as this ever surface?

It happened right here in the mining area of Igo. In regards to Snowflakes's mother:

"She hid out on Eubanks Mine in Igo from the 1870's to 1919."

The time has come. Several informed and investigative people have been diligently fleshing out the details and proving the facts to bring the "Snowflake" story to fruition. It will never get the hype of Ishi, but it will get recorded and known to many with Ron writing the story.

Thursday
Apr092009

STREET, William Riley 

Turkey Farmer in the Bald Hills.

William R. Street and his brother came to California to mine for gold in the Mother Lode in 1850. Feeling successful and ready to settle down, he returned to Indiana where he was born in January 1830, to marry his sweetheart, Barsheba Pollard. The marriage took place in about 1862. Barsheba was the daughter of Benjamin S. Pollard and Rachel Gordon Pollard of Indiana.

The bride and groom then came to California via Panama which they crossed by riding mules and then caught a ship to San Francisco. From San Francisco, they took a boat up the Sacramento River to Sacramento and then went on to Jackson, Amador County, California. In Jackson, William Street ran a saloon.

While living in Jackson, Barsheba gave birth to three children - O.C. Alice, 1865; William Harvey, 1866; and Alonzo, 1868.

Not wanting her children to grow up in this particular environment, Barsheba persuaded William to leave.

By 1870, the family was residing in Vacaville, Solano County, California. William was a farmer. Another child, Pearl Street was born at this location on 6 March 1871.

By 1874, the family had moved to the Bald Hills or Gas Point area of Shasta County to raise turkeys. Two more children were born - Henry (1874) and Clara May (1880). The children attended school.

Not finding turkey raising a profitable situation, the older members of the family left for jobs.

Daughter Pearl went to a teacher training class from Chico Normal School held in Anderson, and became an elementary school teacher. Her first teaching job was at Ball's Ferry and she boarded with the Giles family. Her second school for teaching was Aiken Gulch in the Bald Hills. Pearl was active in the social life of the community and met her busband to be, John Jackson Miller, at a local dance. She went "home" to Red Bluff for her vacations between teaching terms and called Red Bluff home until she married in 1899.

William R. and Basheba and the other children were settled in Red Bluff, Tehama County, California. William pursued laborer jobs and farming. At the age of 70 years he also went up to Harrison Gulch and worked as a miner. He was counted twice in 1900, Red Bluff and Harrison Gulch.

William Riley Street died in Red Bluff, Tehama, California, on 29 April 1904. Barsheba Pollard Street died om 8 March 1907. They are buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery.

O.C. Alice Street married George Curtis Downer and continued to live in Red Bluff. They had one son, Elton Downer.

William Henry Street married Cora Josephine Frank. This couple lived in Red Bluff also.

Alonzo Street and wife Helen moved around as Alonzo's job as a Southern Pacific train conductor demanded.

Henry (or Harry) S. Street died in Red Bluff in 1931.

Clara May Street married Thomas Evans in Tehama County in 1904 and they continued to live in Red Bluff vicinity.

It doesn't appear that any of the Street family members registered a livestock brand in Shasta County. Pearl Street will be featured in another short biography with her husband, John Jackson Miller.~

 

Thursday
Jun032010

SW Shasta Election, 1858

The following is a list of judges and inspectors for the SW Shasta Co. precincts appointed by the Board of Supervisors for the general election on 1 September 1858. The County overall had 30 precincts, southwest Shasta, 9. - Shasta Courier, 14 August 1858 by Thelma Shiplett in Shasta County East of Hatchet Mountain

Watson Gulch - S. H. Lee, Inspector; Judges, John Gleason & William Gray

Roaring River - Matt Alderson; E. Armington & E. Hillis

Texas Springs - R. F. Kuntz; John Speer & C. M. McKinney

Arbuckle - Caleb Duncan; David Harris & John Anderson

Horsetown - John C. Spencer; J.H. Hough & John Gardener

Eagle Creek - James Lemmon; W. S. Conger &  Alex Andrew

Middletown - William Weil; Emmett Cook & M. Hickey

Bald Hills - Elijah Poorman; William Knowlton & S. E. Love

Cottonwood - James L. Hart; S. B. Sheldon & William Ludwig

Friday
Jun042010

SW Shasta Election, 1868

The Shasta County Board of Supervisors met on 8 August 1868 (a Saturday) to set the Election Precincts, and Officers. The Shasta Courier of 15 August 1868 ran the list and I broke out the southwest Shasta portion. From a breakout of 9 in 1858, we went to 13 precincts. The county as a whole had 28 precincts in 1868 so SW Shasta locations made up about 1/2 of the list.

The first name is the Inspector, the second two names are Judges, and the fourth and fifth names are Alternate Judges.

Middletown - T. S. Mount; M.B. Hicky & John Heivner; J.F. Gage & C. W. Dingee

Muletown - John Bezan; J. Doeblin & E.W. Richardson; P. Dosh & J. Jollie

Ludwig's Bridge - Jacob Forster; T. Gray & William lean; B. Shufflebeam & William Ludwig

Texas Springs - U.R. Lord; G. Reese & A. C. Wright; H. McCracken & J. McCarley

American Ranch - E. Anderson; D Robinson & W.A. Johnson; J.W. Spann & C.L. McCrea

Eagle Creek - J.A. Baker; J. Frank & H.W. Atkins; Valentine Dahl [Doll] & George McFarland [McFarlin]

Piety Hill - C. Kingsbury; J. Parker & A. Stiller; Fred Gardener & L. Burts

Horsetown - James Daley; J. Wheel & B. Conroy; J. Simpson & R. Close

Chicago - T.B. Stoddard; R.M. Boxford & H. C. Jacobson; G.K. Willard & J.P. Bachelder

Roaring River - J.A. Cushing; A.R. Andrews & E. Neigh; Fred Howe & Peter Larkin

Bald Hills - F. Fiddler; James Chestnut & H. Gary; T.A. Jones & J. Drew

Arbuckle - R.A. Powers; M. Shoemaker & R. Blair; T. Saymore & John Parks

Janesville - W.S. Palmer; J.W. Garden & H.H. Shuffleton; R. White & D. Maupin

Friday
Jun042010

SW Shasta Jurors, 1880

The Shasta Courier reported on 24 April 1880, a list of the grand and trial jurors selected by the Board of Supervisors on 19 April 1880. There were eight townships, and not knowing for sure the boundaries, I went by recognition of the names that Townships numberd 7 & 8 are for our southwest Shasta research.

Grand and Trial Jurors for Township #7 - E. Anderson, George Anderson, Henry Bosenko, George Billups, J. Bedford, Thomas Bell, George Butterway, D. Bebel, F. Crowley, G. Davidson, J. Daily, H. Dales, Jacob Forster, E. Frisbie, William Horton, C. Kimbeck, John Jones, William Johnson, John Leschinsky, Jr.,  J. Lovell, E. Nichols, C. Owens, D. Parham, John Price, and George Reese.

For Township #8 - J. Adkins, N. Beeves, W. Brommett, A. Baker, George Baker, S. Banks, James Crow, A. Leiton, George Corsen, M.J. Downing, James Drew, E. Davis, E. Fitzhenry, James Frank, Fred Glassar, John Gleason, R. Hemminger, T. Jones, Thomas Larkin, Charles Mullavey, William McCormick, John Marshall, S. Pollard, B.W. Stewart, and J.J. Wheelock.

Monday
Jan172011

SW Shasta, Church History

Pioneers - Sketches of Pioneer Days in Shasta, Tehama, Trinity and Siskiyou Counties with Emphasis on the Beginnings of Religious Organizations by Don M. Chase, Home Published in 1945

Mr. Chase's section on Anderson included references to Ono:

As in most communities in the early days, the Methodists were the first to bring the gospel to the Anderson Valley. The Presbyterians did not organize until 1879, to the best of my knowledge, Rev. I. N. Waterman of Redding being in charge. It was about this time that North Methodist records first mention Anderson, although under the circuit system services may have been held earlier. However, the South Methodists were undoubtedly first in this field, organizing in 1859 in Anderson, Dry Creek, Eagle Creek (Ono), Shasta, Igo and other places.

The first pastor of which I can find record, was F. M. Stanton, 1865. Others succeeding were C.M. Stanton, A. Groves, and W.H. Howard. It was Howard who was pastor when the stone church was built in Millville. One of his achievements was to rear a family of twelve children, two or three of whom became preachers, and others of whom gave loyal support to Christian values in many communities.

Rev. R.A. Sawrie followed Howard, and was followed in turn by H. Neal, E.H. Robertson, M.C. Fields, A.L. Paul, and M.V. Howard, son of the elder Howard.

It was M. V. Howard who built the church in Anderson, the first to be built in the town and is still standing. He also built a church in Ono or Eagle Creek as it was then known.

To turn aside to Ono for a moment, we have noted above that a class was organized there in 1859. It was doubtless visited through the years by South Methodist preachers from Millville or Anderson. We have no record of any other church being established in Ono. In 1891 Ono parted company with Anderson, but combined with Millville, and then reached out westward to Watson Gulch, Harrison Gulch, and also included Antelope Valley. Many years later Brother Pierce, who now resides at Red Bluff, was pastor at Ono and Millville. During his pastorate the wooden church at Ono was torn down, the lumber used in constructing a parsonage, and a concrete chapel built. One of the results of his ministry was the conversion of Robert Bartell, farmer and blacksmith, at Ono, later to live at Millville, and now at Anderson. Ono ceased to have a church some years ago when the building was destroyed by fire.

The early circuit which in 1860 included besides Anderson, Millville, Cottonwood, Dry Creek, Ono, Igo, Bald Hills, Texas Springs, Shasta and Centerville, eventually shrank to Anderson, Millville and Ono, and then at last to Anderson, only in the last few years.

[The article then goes on to name pastors and families involved in Anderson.]

Monday
Apr042011

Trial Jurors for Coming Year

The Free Press - Redding, Cal - 12 January 1903 - Within the listings:

From Second Division: Harrison Gulch Township - Joseph C. Williams, W.W. Warkham, P.L. Savage, R.H. Spiers

Igo Township - W.D. Bull, August Anderson, C.R. Eaton, H.T. Forschler, R.G. Harvey, Edward Jones, J.K.P. Lewis, C. Mattos, J. W. Banks, C.E. Benson, H.H. Shuffleton, R.S. McClanahan, J.H. Ponte, H.M. Rockhold, E.T. Shuffleton, John F. Simon, J.W. Thomas, Carl G. Voss, F. H. Albright, H. Arkarro, George Couey, V. Doll, M.B. Gill, Charles W. Kidder.

 

Saturday
Jan312009

WALLACE, William Pope "Willie", Part 1

William Pope Wallace is buried in the Anderson Pioneer Cemetery.

His headstone caught the attention of Ron Joliff and Jo Giessner as they walked and recorded the Cemetery in the summer of 2008.

The headstone reads:

To the Memory of Capt. Willie Pope Wallace,CSA, In Louisville, Kentucky, Mar. 19, 1832, Died Anderson, Cal., Feb 11, 1881.

Confederate Captain from Kentucky in the Anderson Cemetery? And he seems to be a "lone grave" not surrounded by family members? This is odd.

The oddity lingered in the mind of Ron Joliff. Not only is he an avid history buff for the area, he loves the military and war histories. And, Jo, out of curiousity, likes to run things across her pc programs, especially the Federal Census information, and see what she can find.

In our preliminary investigation (not proven) we have gathered the following:

William Pope Wallace known as Willie married Elizabeth Henry Edmonds, usually called "Lizzie" in Kentucky on 18 November 1867.

It appears that the Edmonds family was of vast tobacco farming interests in Kentucky and the Wallace family was from Virginia.

In 1870, Hopkinsville, Christian, Kentucky. Wm. P. Wallace is 32, male, white, farmer, owning real estate. His wife, Lizzie, 26 and young son, Arthur H. Wallace, 2, are in the household with Lizzie's parents and other Edmonds family members. Another son-in-law is a physician named Dangerfield.

There was a George Wallace listed as living in Anderson, Shasta, California, in the 1870 census. We don't know yet, if he is was related.

In 1880, W. P. Wallace, 43, farmer, born in Kentucky of Virginia born father and Kentucky born mother is in Anderson, Shasta, California. His wife, Elizabeth, 35 is keeping house and two more children have been born. Arthur, 11,  has a younger sister, Jean [Willie Jean Wallace] 9, born in Kentucky and brother, Randolph E. Wallace, 2, born in California.

Randolph turned 3 in Oct. 1880.

That puts the Willie P. Wallace family in California sometime between 1870 and 1877.

W. P. Wallace died 11 Feb. 1881.

In 1910, Arthur Hooe Wallace, b: 30 Aug 1868, Kentucky, 1st son, has moved to Los Angeles County, California and is working as a clerk for the [?] railroad.

In 1900, Willie Jean Wallace, b: 20 Nov 1870, has married in 1898, to Charles Rankin and is living in Sauslito Township, Marin, California. Her mother, Lizzie, brother Randolph and brother-in-law Thomas Rankin are in the household. Randolph Wallace is a freight clerk.

In 1910, we find Jean Rankin with her son, Wallace E. Rankin, b: 12 Oct 1900, living in Glen Ellen, Sonoma, California. She is listed as head of household and a farmer. Her mother, Lizzie E. Wallace is with her.

[to be continued]~

 

Wednesday
Apr282010

Willard Brothers, George & Charles

In 1868, George Kittridge Willard opened a mercantile business in the bustling mining area of southwest Shasta County, California. He later partnered in the same business with his brother, Charles Frederick Willard.

The Willard Brothers were born in Strong, Franklin, Maine - George on 11 March 1832 and Charles on 27 September 1846. George learned the wheelwright trade while in Strong, Maine.

Lured to California by the promise of opportunity, George set out from New York, sailed to the Isthmus of Panama where he rode the new railroad across and again sailed for San Francisco landing on 11 May 1856. He left San Francisco directly for southwest Shasta County. He engaged in mining, carpentering, and his mercantile business at Igo.

In 1880 he took his brother, Charles as a partner in the Willard Mercantile and in the same year purchased the Red Bluff Flour Mill.

On 21 September 1875, in the Igo vicinity, George took Katie Terbush as his wife. Katie was the daughter of Peter Finchly Terbush and Katherine "Kate" Durstein Terbush.

The young couple had four children:  Olive Adaline, born 6 January 1877; Carrie, born 1878 and died 1880; Harry Kittridge, born 29 December 1879; and, Imogene Dolores, born 16 January 1894. Olive, Carrie and Harry were born in Igo, Shasta County, and Imogene was born in Red Bluff, Tehama, California.

The George Willard Family moved to Red Bluff between 1880 and 1894. Charles Willard lived in Red Bluff also. The 1900 Census shows George as a Miller in his Red Bluff Flour Mill business and Charles is a salesman.

Tragedy struck the family on 10 November 1908. George, his wife, Katie, two daughters, Olive and Imogene, along with a family friend visiting from Alabama were out for a leisurely drive in George's large touring car. For some unknown reason, George pulled onto the Railroad track in front of a Southern Pacific train coming along at about 35 miles per hour. The accident occurred around 6:00 p.m. George, Katie and Olive were killed. The friend, Mrs. Irene Hays, was killed. Imogene, age 14, was the lone survivor.

The town of Red Bluff was a "City in Gloom" as reported by the Red Bluff Daily News on 11 November 1908. George, Katie and Olive were laid to rest in the Oak Hill Cemetery.

Harry Kittridge Willard continued in the firm of Willard, Bush and Co., (although J. S. Bush died the week before the horrific accident) and lived in Red Bluff until his death in 1961. Imogene remained single and died in 1957. They, too, are buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery.

George's brother, Charles F. Willard, married a second time in 1903, to Hattie Smalley (having left his first wife and sons on the east coast) and remained in Red Bluff until his death on 21 May 1919. Hattie lived until 1932 and they are buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery in Red Bluff, Tehama, California.

George Kittridge Willard had been considered a prominent man offering much to the communities of Igo and Red Bluff. He was affiliated with Clinton Lodge #119, F. & A. M. (Free and Active Masons); Red Bluff Chapter #40, R. A. M.(Royal Arch Masons) and the Red Bluff Commandery #17, K. T. (Knights of Templar).~

Saturday
Dec172011

WILLIAMS, Arkansas Josephine Graves (1854-1944)

Did you know that according to May H. Southern Scrapbook - binder 1, at the time that Mrs. Jones was killed by Indians, there was a young girl by the name of Arkansas Graves visiting at the residence who escaped. Southern also goes on to say that this child later became Mrs. A. J. Williams of Carrville, Trinity County.

According to my research this is correct, but a bit confusing. Arkansas used her own initials rather than those of her husband, thus she signed and was referred to as Mrs. A. J. Williams when in fact her husband was J. L. Williams (James Logan).

Arkansas Josephine Graves appears on the Shasta County Census of 1860 and is the daughter of David Rice Graves (1827-1881) and Christine Harmon Graves (1833-1920). She was born in Arkansas 23 Dec 1854. 

Family story has it David Rice Graves with pregnant wife and young daughter Arkansas set out to California by wagon train. The second child, Richard Benjamin Graves, was born enroute in Nevada on 14 Sep 1857. The third child was born in 1860 in Shasta County. 

It seems as though Arkansas was 9 or 10 years old when she experienced the horrific event dated as 9 Sep 1864, in Jones' Valley near Copper City. It can be reasonably assumed that her recent trek across the country by wagon had prepared her for quick thinking in knowing what to do to escape and survive. She was able to run from the house and hide in the woods while the Indians were focusing on the brutal attack of Mrs. Jones and ransacking her abode.

We find the D. R. Graves family in Colusa County in 1870. It appears they left the uncertainty of Shasta County soon after the extremely frightening event their daughter lived through.

It was in 1871, in Colusa County, when Arkansas married James Logan Williams. She was 17 years old and the groom 25 years.

By 1880 James and Arkansas and the first of their children were in Cottonwood on the Tehama County side. By 1900 through 1930 they lived at Trinity Center in Trinity County.

Arkansas Josephine Graves Williams died on 6 Dec 1944 in Tehama County and is buried in the Oak Hill Cemetery in Red Bluff.

She had given birth to seven children:  David Franklin Williams (1871-?), Bertie Williams (1873-1874), Tipton Benjamin Williams (1878-1939), Ada Annie Williams Yancey (1880-1976), Ruel Delbert Williams (1885-1957), James Tolbert Williams (1888-1978), and Russell Burgess Williams (1893-1955).

Page 1 2