"Plumas County"

1854, Plumas County was made up from an area detached from Butte County one of the original California counties. The name Plumas came from the Spanish name for the Feather River whose headwaters were in the new county, the Rio de las Plumas. Remote from the valley, county seat and with expanding mining activities, the creation of Plumas County made sense to the legislators.~

1858 April 17, Weekly Wisconsin Patriot -An avalanche occurred in Plumas county, California, a few weeks since; an immense mass of snow and ice came thundering down the mountain, plowing up the earth, and overwhelming everything that lay in its path. Two cabins of miners were swept away and a man and a boy killed. Several others, including a woman and a child, were buried beneath the mass, but strange to say, were dug out uninjured.~

1859, According to The State Register and Year Book of Facts, California 1859, Plumas County had the following Post Offices:  Jonesville, Meadow Valley, Onion Valley and Quincy. There were post offices in Sierra Co. that later became located in Plumas county, but not in 1859.~

1859 May 25, Sacramento Daily Union - WAGON ROADS NORTH - We note that the people of Plumas and vicinity are building wagon roads between the American Valley and Indian Valley, and from the American Valley by the way of Long Valley and Jamison to Beckwourth's in connection with the operations of Colonel Lander on the road between Castle Rock and Honey Lake. These improvements will have a tendency to develop the resources hitherto comparitively unknown country and to greatly benefit Plumas and other counties bordering her.~

1864, Lassen County created from area of Plumas County east of the Sierra and from the eastern half of Shasta County.~

1873 September 29, San Francisco Bulletin - J. W. Desler and W. Frank Stewart have discovered a vein of asbestos in Plumas county eight miles from Quincy. The ledge is a large one and easy of access.~

1881 September 10, San Francisco Bulletin -Last week arsenic was used to poison oxen used in logging at a sawmill in Plumas County. The poisoner is not known.~

1910 September 2, Oregonian- LOCAL OPTION WILL BE TRIED FOR TWO MONTHS - ELECTION IN NOVEMBER - Quincy, Cal., Sept 1 (special) Every saloon in Plumas closed its doors at 12 o'clock last night and went out of business. Each of the six saloons in Quincy this morning had a great sign across its front with the single word "closed." The local option law, that was voted for some time ago, went into effect at midnight, and while the saloon men have made up their minds to obey it, they evidently intend to make conditions just as disagreeable as they can, hoping to have a more favorable vote at another election on the liquor question in November.

It was agreed when this prohibition law was enacted that another election should be held two months later, after the people had been permitted a trial of dry conditions. Last night was a merry one in local saloons, saloon men and their friends enjoying the last jollification permitted them.

Conditions that obtained along the route of the Western Pacific during its construction caused the first fight against saloons, the railroads using every effort to keep them at a distance.~



The name Almanor was derived from letters of the names of the daughters of Guy C. Earl, President of the Great Western Power Company at the time the lake was created. The dam was completed in 1917.

Alice = Al; Martha = ma; Elinore = nor

Prior to "Almanor" being applied to the reservoir by Julius M. Howell, in charge of construction, the site was known as"Big Meadows Reservoir."

AKA:  Plumas Pines (no Post Office)

1932 July 15, 4th Class Post Office established as Almanor, Plumas, California located 13 miles northwest of Greenville.

Mrs. Adelaide Smith, First Postmaster.

1943 and 1944 -Summer Post Office not opened.

1951 September 30, Mrs. Leta W. Hughes, Postmaster.

1955 June 25, Eleanor R. Banhard, Postmaster.

1961 November 24, Eleanor R. Charles, Postmaster.

1967 May 19, Changed from 4th Class Post Office to Contract Rural Branch of Greenville.

1974, Dropped from Directory of Post Offices.


Beckwith > Beckwourth

1870 August 24, Post Office establsihed as Beckwith, Plumas, California located 5 miles east of Portola. Named for James P. Beckwourth, fur trader, inn keeper, explorer. He discovered Beckwourth Pass in 1851 which became an immigrant and railroad route to California.

E. Dunkinn, First Postmaster.

1931 January 17, Bertha R. Nelson, Postmaster.

1932 July 1, Name changed to the correct spelling:  Beckwourth.

1933 August 12, Mrs. Bertha Nelson Bishop, Postmaster.

1933 September 16, Mrs. Inez A. Nelson, Postmaster.

1944 May 1, Mrs. Florence Oliver Percy, Postmaster.

1956 May 15, Mrs. Florence O. Wilson, Postmaster.

1956 December 21, Mrs. Viola D. Jones, Postmaster.

1960 August 1, 4th Class Post Office changed to Independent Rural Station of Portola.

1966, Changed to Rural Branch.




1909 October 8, 3rd Class Post Office established as Belden, Plumas, California located 37 miles north of Yankee Hill. Name honors Josiah Belden, grantee of the Barranca Colorada Rancho, a Mexican Land Grant.

Robert Belden, First Postmaster.

1913 December 9, Christ B. Webster, Postmaster.

1914 June 24, Richard H. Wiley, Postmaster.

1918 February 15, Lucille Belden, Postmaster.

1920 November 16, Goldie M. Morganhaler, Postmaster.

1944 July 1, Richard Leo Hays, Postmaster.

1945 May 15, Jacob W. McCrillis, Postmaster.

1947 November 15, Mrs. Florence M. Dedmon, Postmaster.

1949 June 9, Florence M. Dedmon, Postmaster.

1973 March 30, Changed from 3rd Class Post Office to Rural Branch of Oroville, Butte County.


Big Meadows > Prattville

1868 October 13, 4th Class Post Office established as Big Meadows, Plumas, California located 16 miles northwest of Greenville. Site location reason for name.

Dr. Willard Pratt, First Postmaster.

1874 March 2, Post Office name changed to Prattville, Plumas, California. Named for Dr. Willard Pratt, the first Postmaster.

1876 April 25, Norman B. Gardner, Postmaster.

1876 November 24, William W. Benner, Postmaster.

1882 July 11, Hiram B. Abbott, Postmaster.

1889 April 20, Nettie F. Abbott, Postmaster.

1896 January 15, Lucius A. Bunnell, Postmaster.

1897 November 23, Robert A. Coster, Postmaster.

1911 December 27, Timothy Lucy, Postmaster.

1914 March 31, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Greenville.



1913 January 6, 3rd Class Post Office established as Blairsden, Plumas, California located 3 miles north of Clio. Named for the country home of James A. Blair, an official of the Western Pacific Railroad.

Isidore Riffel, First Postmaster.

1925 December 14, Louis C. De Armond, Postmaster.

1945 April 1, Mrs. Mary Ferrari, Postmaster.

1950 November 15, Karl W. Taylor, Postmaster.



1896 January 10, 4th Class Post Office established as Box, Plumas, California located 6 miles west of Bucks and 10 miles east of Merrimac. Name shortened from "Letter Box" at the mining trading center.

Eugene Day, First Postmaster.

1901 March 30, Post Office discntinued and the service moved to Bucks.


Buck's Ranch > Buckeye Ranch > Bucks > Bucks Lake

1861 September 18, 4th Class Post Office established as Buck's Ranch, Plumas, California located approximately 16 miles southwest of Quincy. Named for Horace "Buck" Bucklin, rancher in the area.

William Wagner, First Postmaster.

1868 June 11, Post Office discontinued, moved 10 miles southwest and the name changed to Buckeye Ranch.

1868 June 11, 4th Class Post Office esatablished as Buckeye Ranch, Plumas, California. Said to have been named by prospectors from Ohio, the "Buckeye" State. AKA: Buckeye Ranch Dry Diggings.

Joel Flinn, First Postmaster.

1868 August 10, Buck's Ranch Post Office re-established with William Wagner as Postmaster.

1870 January 28, Buckeye Ranch Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Buck's Ranch.

1894 August 3, "Ranch" dropped and Buck's Ranch became Bucks with William Wagner as Postmaster.

1909 September 30, Post Office discontinued.

1910 September 10, Bucks Post Office re-established.

1913 July 15, Post Office discontinued.

1927 January 7, Post Office re-established.

1927 November 30, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Quincy. 

1940 August 6, 4th Class Post Office establshed as Bucks Lake, Plumas, California located 17 miles southwest of Quincy and 48 miles northeast of Oroville, Butte County. Named also for Horance "Buck" Bucklin, pioneer rancher.

Mrs. Della M. Childs, First Postmaster. ( Record states she became postmaster on 11 July 1940.)

1942 June 30, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Oroville, Butte County.


Butte Valley

1887 September 10, 4th Class Post Office established as Butte Valley, Plumas, California located 9 miles southeast of Prattville. Butte Valley is situated near the south end of Butt Valley. The name "Butt" commemorates Horace Butts, early settler.

Charles H. Lee, First Postmaster.

1905 April 12, Elizabeth Butterfield, Postmaster.

1907 December 10, Edith Pearl Savercool, Postmaster.

1909 September 9, Carrie Savercool, Postmaster.

1912 July 31, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Seneca.


Camp Rodgers

1916 May 16, 4th Class Post Office established as Camp Rodgers, Plumas, California located 5 miles southwest of Belden along the Feather River. Named for the resort operator.

Emile C. Armand, First Postmaster.

1918 October 14, Margaret P. Rodgers, Postmaster.

1922 August 4, Oscar C. Rodgers, Postmaster.

1933 Septyember 1, Wayne Loel, Postmaster.

1936 February 15, Post  Office disocntinued and the service moved to Belden.



1940 May 28, 3rd Class Post Office established as Canyondam, Plumas, California located 9 miles west of Greenville and 7 miles east of Almanor. Name tkane from location at the Lake Almanor Dam.

Emmett W. Bishop, First Postmaster.

1944 June 17, Mrs. Candace Elizabeth Gardner, Postmaster.

1944 September 14, Post Office discontinued.

1952, June 16, Post Office re-established with Mrs. Dorothy O. Brocke, Postmaster.

1953 June 30, Lucille M. Coppinger, Postmaster.

1955 November 18, Ruth J. Neel, Postmaster.

1959 September 18, Tillie E. Siler, Postmaster.


Cariboo - Caribou

1919, Power Plan established by Pacific Gas and Electric Compnay (PG&E) at this site.

1922 September 21, 4th Class Post Office established as Caribou, Plumas, California located on the North Fork of Feather River 10 miles northeast of Belden. Named for Johnny Cariboo, placer miner of 1850.

Carrie A. Menzel, First Postmaster.

1936 May 1, Alvah E. Hodges, Postmaster.

1938 February 1, Mrs. Orena M. Hodges, Postmaster.

1957 November 12, Constance C. Mower, Postmaster.

1961 June 10, Changed from 4th Class Post Office to Rural Station of Belden.

1966, Changed to Rural Branch.

1973 March 31, Changed to Rural Branch of Oroville, Butte County.

1976 June 30, Discontinued.


Carner Place

1866 May 25,  Post Office established as Carner Place, Plumas, California located 34 miles southwest of Susanville per the application for post office.

Henry Landt, First Postmaster.

1867 August 6, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Susanville, Lassen County.


Cedar Glen > Tobin

1914 September 17, 4th Class Post Office established as Cedar Glen, Plumas, California along the north Fork of the Feather River 2 miles north of Storrie and 7 miles south of Belden. The name describes the setting for the vacation resort on the site.

Leo M. Nevis, First Postmaster.

1915 January 5, Janice M. Nevis, Postmaster.

1918 January 7, Lucy V. Day, Postmaster.

1921 February 21, Post Office discontinued and the name changed to Tobin.

1921 February 25, 4th Class Post Office established as Tobin, Plumas, California in place of Cedar Glen. Named for the operator of the resort at the time.

Lucy V. Day, First Postmaster.

1931 December 31, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Storrie.



1894 April 26, 2nd Class Post Office established as Chester, Plumas, California located 14 miles northwest of Prattville. Named for Chester, Vermont. Sometimes known as Big Meadows.

Burwell Johnson, First Postmaster.

1908 February 8, Post Office moved 1 1/2 miles west and Maude R. Gay was appointed Postmaster.

1908 March 6, Sacramento Bee - POSTMISTRESS NAMED - Chester, Plumas County - Notice has just been received here from the First Assistant Postmaster General appointing Mrs. Maud R. Gay Postmistress of Chester to fill the vacancy caused by the death of Burwell Johnson. The Post Office has also been moved to Olsen's Ranch, where it will be conducted in the future.~

1930 July 3, Maude R. Gay, Postmaster.

1940 February 1, Mrs. Eunice Conners, Postmaster.

1943 May 1, Mrs. Eunice Kiehl, Postmaster.

1962 September 24, Frank W. Murphy, Postmaster.




1898 April 13, 4th Class Post Office established as Chilcoot, Plumas, California located 13 miles northeast of Loyalton. Named for Chilcoot, Alaska.

Richard Martin, First Postmaster.

1906 May 28, John N. Fogarty, Postmaster.

1907 February 11, Richard Martin, Postmaster.

1909 December 10, Aeneas P. Riordan, Postmaster.

1909 Dec 11, San Francisco Chronicle, Washington, Dec 19 Coast Postmasters Named, California postmaster appointed:  Chilcoot, Plumas county, Aeneas P. Riordan, vice R. Martin resigned.~

1911 December 30, Joseph W. Adis, Postmaster.

1913 August 2, Roy Lincoln Monroe, Postmaster.

1914 July 7, Guilio R. Sobrio, Postmaster.

1917 September 11, John P. Donnelly, Postmaster.

1948 October 1, William M. McConnell, Postmaster.

1960 October 31, William O'Brien, Postmaster.

1968 September 20, Richard Ward Wiggin, Acting Postmaster.

1969 January 15, Richard Ward Wiggin, Postmaster.





1896 July 20, 4th Class Post Office established as Clairville, Plumas, California located 6 miles north of Mohawk and 11 miles west of Beckwith (Beckwourth). Named fro Claire Bowen. The site was a transfer point for rail freight to wgon teams.

Rutherford L. Chandler, First Postmaster.

1897 February 8, James M. Engle, Postmaster.

1899 January 14, Adam C. Neale, Postmaster.

1901 January 21, Eva F. Neale, Postmaster.

1902 July 19, Joseph H. Flynn, Postmaster.

1903 May 9, Post Office moved 1 1/4 miles east and Emma A. Newman became the Postmaster.

1906 June 2, Post Office moved 1 1/2 miles west and John W. Middleton became the Postmaster.

1910 October 15, Post Office disocntinued and the service moved to Clio.



See:  Wash > Clio


Crescent Mills

1870 July 14, 3rd Class Post Office established as Crescent Mills, Plumas, California located 17 miles north of Quincy. Named for the crescent- like bend in the feather River and the gold ore crushing mills using the water power. Focus now on Agriculture products.

Milford B. Bransford, First Postmaster.

1883 April 2, Joseph S. Hall, Postmaster.

1897 May 26, William W. Hall, Postmaster.

1915 March 1, Sacramento Union, Postmaster Appointed:  Crescent Mills, Plumas county, Mrs. Della A. Bacher.

1926 February 24, William A. Kingdon, Postmaster.

1939 May 19, William A. Kingdon, Jr., Postmaster.

1942 November 13, Samuel H. Kingdon, Postmaster.

1944 March 24, Samuel H. Kingdon, Postmaster.



AKA:  Twenty Mile House (no Post Office)

1880 March 10, 4th Class Post Office established as Cromberg, Plumas, California located 20 miles southwest of Quincy and 5 miles northwest of Mohawk Valley. 

Gerhard A. Langhorst, First Postmaster.

1912 November 30, Post Office discontinued.

1919 September 26, Post Office re-established with Francis M. Charlton as Postmaster.

1920 January 27, John S. Hussey, Postmaster.

1931 November 30, Post Office discontinued.

1950 February 15, Post Office re-established with Paul Cavaille as Postmaster.

1958 May 30, Hugo A. Zunino, Postmaster.

1960 April 27, Dolores V. Varner, Postmaster.

1960 October 14, Changed from 4th Class Post Office to Independent Rural Station of Blairsden.

1966,  Changed to Rural Branch.