Friday
Jun042010

"Shasta County" 

1844 - Mexican Land Grant to Major Pierson B. Reading called San Buenaventura in Shasta county. Consisted of 26,632 acres

1850 February 14 - California's first legislature created Shasta County. One of original 27 counties.

1850 October 7 - W. R. Harrison sworn in as first Shasta County Judge.

1851 February 11 - Existing townships were Shasta, Lower Springs, Clear Creek and Cottonwood.

1851 August 7 - Additonal  four townships set up by the Court of Sessions: French Gulch, Fortunate (Oak Bottom and Whiskeytown), Scott's (now in Siskiyou County) and Shasta Plains (included all the rest of Siskiyou County and all that is now Modoc County).

1852 December 1, Alta California - In 1852, various communities in Shasta County contributed to the Washington Monument! "From Shasta precinct $86.50; Quartz Hill $7.00; Oak Bottom $4.50; Mule Town $5.00; Lower Springs $9.50; Horse Town $26.50; French Gulch $25.00; Whisky Creek $36.75; Eagle Creek $7.50; Middletown $6.60; Cottonwood $7.80; One Dog Town $7.00 and Red Bluff $20.00."~

1855 January 26, Daily Democratic State Journal (Sacramento, California) - Postmasters/Offices as of 15th Day April 1854:  Cottonwood, Shasta, David C. Hamilton; Horsetown, Shasta, George W. Baker; Kilna, Shasta, William Potter; Red Bluffs, Shasta, S. M. Bishop; Shasta, Shasta, D. H. Harrell.~

1855, Public Highways

Shasta - Red Bluff via Briggsville; Shasta - Upper Mountain House via Whiskeytown; Shasta - French Gulch via Main Street; Shasta - Squaw Creek via Waugh's Ferry; High Street via schoolhouse, courthouse, sheriff's office, St. Charles lot.; End of High Street, run to Main via Methodist Church, Trinity House and Trinity Avenue; Stockton & Andrews Bridge to Muletown via Horsetown; Jackass Flat to Bald Hills via Horsetown, Stockton & Andrews Bridge; Conger's Ranch to Seldon and Atkins sawmill on Clear Creek; Lean's Ferry via Cottonwood to McComber's Mill via Daingerfield's Ferry and Smith Ranch; Daingerfield Ferry to Jones & Shepperson's via Battle Creek crossing.~

1855 July 28, The Shasta Courier - RACING- The race between Tanner's mare "Lucy" and Harvey's bay horse "Billy" for a purse of $1000.00 - distance 350 yards - will come off, over Bell's Course on Clear Creek on Sunday, August 5th.

Other race tracks noted in Shasta County in newspaper articles between 1855 and 1859, were at Oak Bottom and the Cannon House Course.~

1855 September 24, Daily Democratic State Journal (Sacramento, California) - Increase - The election returns of Shasta show an increase of population in that county of 1,144 men in one year.

There can be but little doubt that the adult portion of our population numbers considerable over three thousand souls. From information furnished by persons recently arrived from Siskiyou and Trinity, we are satisfied that to this will be added at least a thousand miners within the next two months. They are attracted hither by the certainty of an abundant supply of water in the Middletown, Muletown, Horsetown, Briggsville, Jackass Flat, and Texas Springs diggings--thanks to the Clear Creek Ditch Company --Shasta Courier.~

Members of Western Star Lodge #2 have formed three other Lodges in Shasta County.

1857, The first was Clinton Lodge #119 Under Dispensation of The Grand Lodge of California dated June 27, 1857, Chartered on May 17, 1858, at Horsetown and subsequently moving to Piety Hill and then to Igo (all three locations near Clear Creek). Clinton Lodge later consolidated back into Western Star Lodge #2 on October 15, 1936. Next came Northern Light Lodge #190, Dispensation issued on May 14, 1868, Chartered on October 15, 1868, at Millville. Last was Redding Lodge #254, Dispensation issued on February 22, 1879, Chartered on October 16, 1879, Redding.- Retrieved from www.westernlodge.org on 12 June 2012.~

1857 August 13, San Francisco Bulletin - The Shasta Courier learns, from the assessment roll of that county, just completed, that the tax-list for the present years amounts to the sum of $1,994,018.25, being $136,000 greater than last year's assessment.

Of stock, there are in the county: 920 horses; 701 mules; 14 jackasses; 814 work cattle; 1,214 cows; 5,244 hogs; 75 sheep; 5,520 chickens.

No notice has been made of turkeys and geese.

Of improvements, there are:  16 sawmills, costing $20.000.; 4 quartz mills, costing $18,000.; 9 ferries; 5 toll bridges.

Amount of poll-tax paid in is $2,810.75; Hospital tax collected, $4,333.25.~

1858 January 23, Shasta Courier - County Officers for the year 1858:  District Judge:  William T. Daingerfield of Shasta; County Judge:  Joel T. Landrum; Associate Justices:  J.B. Steward & William Knowlton; County Treasurer:  James Hayburn; County Clerk:  H.I. Van Horn; Sheriff:  H. Clay Stockton; Under sheriff:  John Dent; County Assessor:  W. H. Angell; County Surveyor:  E. Linn; Public Administrator:  Benjamin Swasey; District Attorney:  James D. Mix; School Commissioner:  G.K. Godfrey; County Physician:  Dr. James E. Pelham; Board of Supervisors:  1st District - Samuel Payne; 2nd District - William B. Stoddard; 3rd District - D.C. Johnson; Township Officers:  Shasta Township, Justice of the Peace, H. A. Curtis, E.K. Shea; Constables, Robert O. DeWitt, R.R. Smee; Clear Creek Township:  Justices William Knowlton, James Eby; French Gulch Township:  Justice J.B. Stewart; Sierra Township:  Justice S.D. Baker; Pit River Township:  Justice J. M. Hunt

Shasta County Courts:  Held on the first Mondays of February, April, June, August, October and December. At said terms the business pertaining to the Court of Sessions shall first be disposed of and after that the business of the County Court and Probate Court in such order as the judge may determine.

Board of Supervisors meet the first Mondays in February, May, August, November.~

1860 June 9, San Joaquin Republican (Stockton, California) - The Shasta Courier says, in that county the fruit crop bids fair to be unusually abundant. The peach trees especially are heavily laden. The vines are also uninjured.~

1871, According to the Pacific Coast Business Directory for 1871-1873, the following areas were served by the  following post offices and usually an Express Service:

American Ranch - Elias Anderson, Postmaster

Adams Ferry, American Ranch, Foster's Ranch,  and Ludwig's Bridge.

Horsetown - William Goodall, Postmaster

Arbuckle, Bald Hills, Eagle Creek, Gas Point, Horsetown, Janesville, Piety Hill, Roaring River, Texas Springs, and Watson Gulch.

Shasta - L. Wellendorf, Postmaster

Bass Ranch, Bell's Bridge, Buckeye, Centerville, Churntown, Clear Creek near Bell's Bridge, Copper City,  Cottonwood (if not Tehama Co.), Dog Creek, Igo, Lower Springs, Magee's Store, Middletown, Oakland Ferry, Shasta, Shingletown,  and Whiskeytown.

Millville - John Wheatley, Postmaster

Caten's [Cayton], Fort Crook, Millville.

French Gulch - Thompson Plumb, Postmaster

French Gulch, Mountain House and Tower House

Portugull - William T. Smith, Postmaster

Hazel Creek, Portuguese Flat, Portugull, Slate Creek, and Soda Springs.

Stillwater - John S.P. Bass, Postmaster

Stillwater

And until Burgettville of northeastern Shasta County got it's post office, the place was served by Shasta.~

1872 June 28, Jackson Citizen Patriot - Laws of the United States Passed at the Second Session of the 42nd Congress:

From Red Bluff via Roaring River, Janesville, Igo, Piety Hill, Horsetown and Middletown to Shasta City

From Shasta City via Millville, Phillips Ranch, Round Mountain, Littrells Ranch, Vayton Valley, Burney Valley. Burney Falls, Pit river, Burgettville, Fall river Valley, Big Valley, Davidson's Ranch, Mayfields Mills, Whitfields Crossing, Ash Creek, Adin, McDevitts Mills, Townsends Ranch, Steel Bros Ranch, Hot Springs Valley, Butte Mountain, Dorrisburg, Franklins Store, Goose Lake and Fort Bidwell to Lake City~

1871, The Pacific Coast Business Directory of 1871-73 listed the following sawmills for Shasta County:

Battle Creek - Ball's- 1 saw- capacity 3000 feet per day - water power- cost $6000 - H. S. Ball, Occupant

Battle Creek - Klotz - 3 saws - capacity 6000 feet per day - water power - cost $12000. - Klotz & Company

Bear Creek - Carver's - 1 saw - capacity 1500 feet per day - water power - cost $2000 - W. S. Carver

Churn Creek - Myer's - 1 saw - capacity 2000 feet per day - water power - cost $3000 - George H. Myers

Clear Creek - Camden's - 1 saw - capacity 1500 feet per day - water power - cost $6000 - Charles Camden

Cow Creek - Winegar's - 1 saw - capacity 2000 feet per day - water power - cost $2000 - Carter & Company

French Gulch - Hunter's - 1 saw - capacity 1000 feet per day - water power - cost $1500 - Hunter &  Co.

Oak Run - Predmore's - 1 saw - capacity 3000 feet per day - water power - cost $4000. -  J. H. Predmore

Spring Creek - Spring Creek - 1 saw - capacity 3000 feet per day - water power - cost $7000 - Woodward & Company

Whiskytown - Crocker's - 1 saw - capacity 2000 feet per day - water power - cost $2500 - E. F. Crocker

Whiskytown - Fleming's - 1 saw - capacity 2500 feet per day - water power - cost $2500 - John Fleming~

1878 March 26, Territorial Enterprise (Virginia City, Nevada) -

The nomenclature of Shasta (Cal.) towns is not classical. A correspondent writes to a contemporary: "The beauty of one stream is expressed by the choice name of Dog Creek; another is Cow Creek, while one of the prettiest towns in the county rejoices in the exhilarating title of Whiskytown. Among the principle villages are also Bullskin City, Muletown, Hogtown and Sourkraut."~

1879 July 18, San Francisco Bulletin - The Shasta County Republicans have nominated the following ticket:  Superior Judge, A. Bell; Sheriff, William Jackson; County Clerk, F.C. Tiffin; County Treasurer, T.J. Webb; District Attorney, E.G. Anderson; Superintendent of Public Instruction, Mrs. D.M. Coleman; Coroner & Administrator, D.P. Bystle; Assessor, W.S. Kidder; County Surveyor, J.M. Graves.~

1880, The Shasta Courier of 17 July 1880, reported the statistics from the Annual Report of the Shasta County School Superintendent for the year ending 3 June 1880.

Number of children in the county between five and 17 years of age: 2,276. Number attending public schools: 1,840. Number of school districts in which school was maintained six months or more: 44. Number of new districts established: 3. Number of teachers employed: 47.~

1883, Schools receiving moneys from the Shasta County Superintendent of Schools, Mrs. D. M. Coleman, were:  Anderson, Antelope, Albion, Bald Hills, Bear Creek, Buckeye, Beaver Creek, Bunker Hill, Bates, Centerville, Clover Creek, Cottonwood, Cow Creek, Copper City, Cayton Valley, Clear Creek, Central, Cloverdale, Cove, Cedar Creek, Eagle Creek, Eureka, Excelsior, Fall River, Fall River Mills, French Gulch, Fort Crook, Flat Creek, Hatchet Creek, Island, Junction, Klotz, Kimball, Mill Creek, Millville, Mountain Grove, Mineral, Oak Knoll, Oak Run, Oak Grove, Pacheco, Parkville, Piety Hill, Pine Grove, Pit River, Phillips, Prairie, Redding, Round Mountain, Rockland, Sacramento River, Shasta, Sheldon, Sierra, Stillwater, Slate Creek, Smithson, and Whiskeytown.~

1888 March 1, San Francisco Bulletin, Redding, February 29 -

REDDING TO BE DECLARED THE CHOICE OF THE PEOPLE NEXT MONDAY -

The Supervisors will meet Monday next and declare Redding the county seat, according to the decision of the Supreme Court, unless restrained in some manner. Hatch, attorney for the obstructionists, went to Shasta last evening and returned to Red Bluff this morning. This action causes conjectures as to how much mischief is in store yet. Very few Shasta residents now object to the removal, and any more unwarranted delay will be severely criticized almost unanimously.~

1889, Per an article in the Shasta Courier 25 May 1889, "30 Years Ago" - "In 1859 there were only seven post offices in the territory than comprising Shasta county and following postmasters:  American Ranch, E. Anderson; Cottonwood, William Lean; French Gulch, W.G. Gibbs; Horsetown, J. R. Pile; Red Bluffs, J.R. Broadway; Shasta, Orin Fitch; Whiskey Creek, Ben Mix."

[I have to question the accuracy of this article as Tehama became a county in 1856, so Red Bluffs would be in that county in 1859.]~

1900-01, Statistics of California Production, Commerce and Finances for the years 1900-01 with brief sketches of the origin and development of Mining, Ag & Horticulture in the state, published by M.M. Barnet & J. O'Leary:

Many new copper locations have been or are being devolped by Boston people in Shasta county.

Shasta, with its large copper yield stands at the head of the list for the state.~

1902 March 17Evening Tribune  (San Diego, California) - Redding, Cal. March 17 - The Northern California Power Company has been formed with a capital stock of $2,000,000 to absorb the Keswick Electric Power Company of this city, the Redding Power Company, the Redding Electric Light and Power Company and the Tehama County Electric and Light Company of Red Bluff. The plant of the last named corporation was recently nearly ruined by fire but the lines of wire are all in good shape. H. H. Noble will be the president of the greater company.

Mr. Noble announces that the new company will soon have wires down the Sacramento Valley as far as Willows, Glenn County, and will later reach further down the valley for business.

The company will increase the present plant of the Keswick Power Company on Mill Seat Creek in this county. There is at present machinery at the plant for the creation of 3,000 horse power with available water rights for the creation of 12,000. A line of wire is now being run from here to Red Bluff, which is already connected with Corning by the wires of the burned out power company, so the absorbing company corporation will soon be able to light the people of the Maywood Colony and then the lines will be run to Orland, Glenn County and later to Willows, the County Seat.~

1903 July 2, The Free Press, Redding - The following named teachers will be appointed Monday to teach in the Keswick and other schools:

Keswick:  Beverley Wood, Principal; Miss Ora Coombs, Miss Lena Stevens and Miss M. Taylor

Bass:  Miss Clara Ledgerwood

French Gulch:  Miss Margaret Strouse

Cottonwood:  H.H. Shuffleton, Jr., Principal; Miss Loraine Heath

Centerville:  Sadie B. Honn

Igo:  Mrs. Lottie E. Cunningham~

1907 February 5San Jose Mercury News - Kennett, Feb. 4 - For some unaccountable reason the transformer which is located on the line of the Northern California Power Company burned out and caused the main wire carrying 20,000 volts to melt by the intense heat. The arm of the transformer was melted off and the pole caught fire. When the wires fell to the ground the ends were a few feet apart, but the intense current caused an arc of several feet to form, which was intensely brilliant, and appeared similar to sudden successive flashes of lightning.~

1907 February 10, San Jose Mercury News, Redding Feb 9 - The Northern California Power Company, which furnishes gas and electric lights as well as water to the residents of Redding, has been charging what it pleased for lights and gas though the rates for water are fixed annually by city ordinances.

A petition is in circulation this week asking the City Trustees to enact an ordinance establishing rates for gas and light as many patrons believe the rates established by the company are not equitable. The Trustees will take some action next week.~

1907 November 26, San Francisco Call - Redding, Nov 25 - PIONEER DIES, AGED 94 - Frederick Rochon, a pioneer of Shasta county, died today at a great age. He was 94 years old. In 1881, in Spring creek he discovered the largest nugget of gold ever found in the county. It was worth $3,300.~

1911 December 30, Only two out of thirteen applicants passed the teachers' examination concluded a week earlier. The successful were Irene Bidwell of Hat Creek and Bessie Forschler of Igo. - from Record Searchlight, Today in History, 30 Dec 2011~

1913 July 29, Daily People's Cause, Red Bluff - (Reprinted by Red Bluff Daily News on 27 Aug 2010)Redding, July 28 - Nine Prisoners set at work breaking rock in court house yard -Sheriff Montgomery today re-established the chain gang, placing Charles H. Behrens in charge.

The county jail has become too popular of late. Fourteen prisoners are housed there, and this is too large a number, in Sheriff Montgomery's opinion, to be maintained by the county in idleness. Only nine of the fourteen are subject to chain gang duty. The nine were set at work this morning breaking rock in the court house yard. Six hours makes a day's work.~

1914, Thumbing through a map book I have, I came across a population list for California in 1914. Satisfying a need to make another list, I broke out Shasta County towns and then chose the top 15, which really came to 17 because there were two ties.

Shasta County overall showed a population of 12,133 in 1890; 17,318 in 1900; and, 18,920 in 1910.

Now for the most populated towns in Shasta County, 1914, which might surprise you:

1 - Redding

2 - Kennett

3 - Anderson

4 - Cottonwood

5 - Winthrop

6 - Coram

7 - French Gulch

8 - Shasta

9 - Castella & Mammoth

10 - Fall River Mills

11 - Knob

12 - Ono

13 - McArthur

14 - Millville

15 - Buckeye & Olinda~

1915, Mines and Mineral Resources - The Sacramento River Valley bottom, below the mountains, contains extensive clay banks, and on the higher table lands debris accumulation has in places formed clay deposits.

Alata Lime and Brick Company, formerly known as Coleman & Hill, owns the clay bank in Block 29, Redding [Reading] Grant, about 1 1/4 miles south of Redding, in the Sacramento River bottom. The clay is 6 feet thick, the upper 4 feet being plastic, which grades into and rests upon a bed of sand, underlaid in turn by gravel; color is tawny. In former years a great many bricks of good quality were burned in this yard.

Holt & Gregg of Redding own a clay deposit in Sec. 17, T 30 N., R. 4 W., in the town of Anderson. The holdings consist of 200 acres, patented. Another deposit owned by this firm is 2 miles north of Anderson near the railroad. This clay bed is 15 feet thick and worked by means of open cuts. Equipment for making bricks consists of grinding mill, brick kiln of a capacity of 40,000 bricks in seven hours, cars, etc. The stack is 120 feet high, with 12 feet diameter at base and 8 feet at the top. Cost about $4.50 per thousand to manufacture the brick, which are used for buildings in Redding and other towns in the Sacramento Valley. Fifteen men employed at present. Plant operated upon demand.

This firm also owns a good deposit of fire clay in Sec 34, T. 34 N., R. 5 W. Used in lime kilns for lining.

R. L. Reading owns an extensive clay deposit in the Reading Homestead, east of Cottonwood. This deposit, on the Sacramento River, is 1 mile long and 1/4 of a mile wide. The clay is 30 feet thick, capped by 15 feet of gravel. It has not been developed.

Southern Pacific Railway Company owns a clay bed in Sec. 19, T. 32 N., R. 4 W. This deposit covers about 40 acres, and is topped with gravel. It is undeveloped.

Redding Brick and Tile Company owns 40 acres, patented, in Sec. 19, T. 31 N., R. 5 W., 3 miles southwest of Redding. Small kiln at Redding. Idle. Operated upon demand.~

1925 January, Redding Record Searchlight -Eleven applications for citizenship were filed in Shasta County in 1899:  From England:  Henry Mitchell, Alfred Trevillyan, William A. Temple, David S. Leslie and Lyn Coleman; From Italy:  Thomas Cleone; From Austria:  Louis Gander; From Russia:  Charles J. Stulander and Fritz Oding; From Germany:  Casper Heinlein and Charles H. Jens~

1930, Anderson Valley News, 25 December, 1930 - Teachers in Shasta Elementary Schools are given Certificates -

With all members of the board of education present the following teacher's certificates in the elementary schools were granted last Saturday:  Mrs. Ethel Myers, Mrs. Augusta Stevenson, Mrs. Gladys Leal, Misses Lorena Thatcher, Stacy Spoon, Doris Lewis, Grace Jack, Flora Hall, Margaret Flannagan, Cecil Cook, Evelyn Voge, Hilda Jessen, Mildred Haynes, Nelda Brown, Mrs. Mildred Haaley, Mrs. Nelita Hunt, Mrs. Ethel Shoup, and Mrs. Clara Gill, high school.

There were no applicants for the examination on the constitution.

The members of the board of education are:  Miss Myra E. Giles of Anderson, W.L. Gay, Palo Cedro, Mrs. Sydnie Jones, Igo, J.P. Gallagher, Castella and Miss Bertha Merrill, Redding.~

1946, Myra Giles Scrapbook - R. H. Cross, Berkeley Historian, discussed early Inns of California and obtained additional information on several in Shasta County. He stated the five leading Inns for Shasta County early on were:  Bell's Mansion, Tower House, Empire Hotel, Charter Oak Hotel and the Dominion.~

1953 September 7, Sacramento Bee - Redding, Shasta Co. - RETIRING SHASTA DEPUTY ASSESSOR IS HONORED FOR 46 YEARS OF SERVICE - More than 40 fellow workers and friends honored Della Kidder as she prepared to end 46 years of service to Shasta County.

The observance was conducted in the superior courtroom Friday, her final day as Chief Deputy in the office of County Assessor Thomas Thatcher. She officially will end her connection with the county tomorrow.

Superior Judge Albert F. Ross acted as master of ceremonies for the event recorded by court reporter J. Irving Wiseman as part of the official court transcript.

Ross presented a wristwatch to Miss Kidder on behalf of courthouse employees.~

Wednesday
Jun022010

Agland

1894 January 6, A 4th Class Post Office was established at Agland, Shasta, California, located 15 miles NW of Ono, on 6 Jan 1894, and discontinued on 31 October 1895. The community planned by the Agricultural Land Company did not develop as the founders had planned. Richard G. Hart, Jr. was the first and only postmaster. (Richard G. Hart, Sr. was the first and only postmaster for Hart, Shasta, California.)~

Thursday
May302013

Albertson > Roberts > Palocedro > Palo Cedro

1883 June 4, The 4th Class Post Office named Albertson was established in the farming area 4 miles W of Millville. It was named for William Armstrong Albertson (1834-1897), Ohio native and farmer. On 17 November 1885, William's wife, Martha Emily "Mattie" (maiden name unknown) Albertson (1840-1905) became licensed as a Sole-Trader in the location of Millville as her husband was ill or disabled and she had to support the household by farming and raising livestock.

The Albertson P.O. (1883) changed its name to Roberts (1885) and then Palocedro (as one word, 1893) and finally Palo Cedro (1906).

Roberts continued as a 4th Class Post Office as the name was changed from Albertson on 22 September 1885 and Mary Margaret Stanford Roberts became the first Postmistress. The name Roberts honored Benjamin Franklin Roberts (1846-1897), a pioneer teacher in the area. In 1880, B.F. Roberts was the Federal Census Enumerator for Township No. 7 and listed his occupation as Teacher. The 1885 Shasta County, California Directory lists B. F. Roberts as operating a general merchandise, hotel, feed corral and acting as Postmaster. The Roberts P.O. was discontinued 28 May 1893 when the name changed to Palocedro.

Palocedro, which is Spanish for Cedar trees, became the name of the Post Office on 28 May 1893. The trees growing in the vicinity served as a landmark. The Postal Department granted the spelling change to two words, Palo Cedro, in 1906. Loraine A. Rodgers was the first Postmistress for the newly named community.~

1883 June 4, Albertson Postmaster:  William A. Albertson.

1883 August 4, "A new postoffice has been established at the junction of the Anderson, Redding and Millville roads, three miles this side of Millville. The new postoffice is called Albertson with Mr. Albertson as Postmaster."

1884 February 18, Albertson Postmaster:  Mary M. Roberts.

1885 September 22, Roberts Postmaster: Mary M. Roberts.

1888 August 7, Roberts Postmaster:  Annie E. Lilly

1889 May 1, Roberts Postmaster:  Annie E. Forrester.

1889 August 26, Roberts Postmaster:  William A. Albertson.

1893 May 29, Palocedro Postmaster:  Loraine A. Rodgers (Rogers).

1899 April 7, Palocedro Postmaster:  Edward O. Messinger.

1901 July 31, Palocedro Postmaster:  Franklin R. Love.

1906 March 12, Name spelling now Palo Cedro.  Postmaster:  Mary F. Love.

1910 December 24,  Samuel E. Lilly, Postmaster.

1921 August 9, Florence Gullixson, Postmaster.

1924 November 11, Postmaster, Eli Addington.

1939 September 29, Postmaster, Mrs. Sarah Addington.

1949 May 20, Mrs. Mary E. Jones, Postmaster.

Sunday
Nov132016

Albion

See: Carbon

Thursday
May302013

Alfa

1888 March 14, A Post Office called Alfa, Shasta County, California, was established 7 miles N of Burgettville as a 4th Class P.O. Discontinued 15 July (or 31 July) 1895, the mail was then distributed from Dana.

Alfa was the name chosen by Alexander Clark "Alex" Hill, first Postmaster, for his daughter. Miss Hill may have spelled her name Alpha, but there was already a post office in Nevada County named Alpha.

Alex Hill had established a new road, stage stop and store for travel north out of Fall River Valley. He also began a newspaper called Alfa Advance (1888) as a means of advertising timber claims. Competition from the Boyes Road and other newspapers seemed to phase out the need for Mr. Hill's enterprises.~

1888 August 25, Shasta Courier - The Alfa Advance, published at the head of Fall River Valley is now 18 weeks of age, but not a single local business card or advertisement. There is a post office there, and the postmaster ought to advertise that just as a matter of local pride.~

1892 April 30, Shasta Courier - Folsom of the Alfa Advance and Alexander C. Hill had a disagreement.~

1892 June 4, Shasta Courier - Miss Nora Manning of Fall River has charge of the editorial and mechanical department of the Alfa Advance.~

1895 June 1, Shasta Courier- Charles W. Hill of Fall River Valley is a rustler and has already commenced running his fast freight and supply wagon from Alfa to Sisson. Charlie can run his market wagon most anywhere, but will not run it up to the coal mines south of Bartle until the Fourth of July.~

1895 July 20, Shasta Courier - The Hill Brothers, Charlie and Jess of Alfa, are rustlers and make weekly trips to Sisson and Dunsmuir with loads of poultry, butter, and other commodities that go to make up good living. They always drive good horses, make good time, and what they haul gets to market in the right shape.~

1898 June 11Shasta Courier - Alexander C. Hill died at his home at Alfa on Bear Creek near Dana Post Office in Fall River Valley a few days ago. He was one of the pioneer settlers in the valley; a native of North Carolina, and aged about 71 years. The deceased leaves a wife, two sons, three daughters, and a number of other relatives and a large circle of friends and acquaintances to mourn his departure. Mr. Hill was one of the most energetic and progressive citizens of his part of the county, and when a man like him is removed from the path of life, his loss is seriously felt.~

Wednesday
Jun022010

American Ranch

1855 July 19, History of California Post Offices 1849-1976 -

A 4th Class Post Office was established at American Ranch, Shasta, California on 19 July 1855, and discontinued on 15 April 1878, when it was moved to the nearby Anderson townsite. The name stems from the American Hotel and Ranch which was a stopping place for freight teams enroute to the Shasta and Trinity mines. Located 27 miles north of Red Bluff, the Reading Land Grant property was first purchased by Thomas A. Freeman in May 1854, and then sold to Elias Anderson in 1856. Freeman was the first postmaster. American Ranch Post Office was the fifth postal station established in Shasta County.

1855 July 19, Thomas A. Freeman, Postmaster.

1855 October 29, Daily Democratic Starte Journal, New Post Office - A post office has recently been established at the American Ranch in this county [Shasta]  of which Thomas A. Freeman is Postmaster.

1857 January 16, Elias Anderson, Postmaster.

1857 July 26, Thomas A. Freeman, Postmaster

1859 January 16, Elias Anderson, Postmaster.

1877, Postal authorities established the post office at American Ranch in 1855 and moved it to the town site of Anderson in 1878. The railroad station was named Anderson in 1872 by the Railroad authorities for Elias Anderson who had granted railroad right away across his land. Consequently in the Great Register for the County of Shasta, California, 1877, residents are listed in both locales. The American Ranch residents list themselves as farmers, stockraisers, one laborer and one miner.

Elias ANDERSON, Kentucky, Farmer; George Henry ANDERSON, Missouri, Farmer; Thomas Boaz BELL, USA, Farmer; Manuel Joseph DAIS, Portugal, Farmer (Naturalization through Father); William Thomas GLOVER, USA, Laborer; William McHendree JOHNSTON, USA, Farmer; Francis JOSEPH, Portugal, Farmer; Alexander LIGGET, Ohio, Stockraiser; William LEAN, England, Farmer (Shasta Co.); Daniel ROBERTSON, Ohio, Farmer; John Wesley SPANN, USA, Farmer; Samuel Bostworth SHELDON, USA, Farmer; James SUNDERLAND, Indiana, Stockraiser; William H. STINE, USA, Miner; William STULL, Pennsylvania, Farmer.

1878 April 15, Elias Anderson, Postmaster. American Ranch Post Office discontinued and the post office moved to nearby townsite called Anderson and became Anderson, Shasta County, California Post Office.

Wednesday
Jun022010

Anderson

Anderson was established as a railroad station town in 1872. Named for Elias Anderson of American Ranch and proprietor of the American Hotel of that location, Elias Anderson also bought one of the first 12 lots sold for the township of Anderson and moved his hotel to that location renaming it the American Ranch Hotel. It was located on the northwest corner of Main and Ferry Streets, near the Railroad Depot. In 1878, the American Ranch post office was discontinued and the Anderson Post Office was established 15 April 1878.~

1877, A list of Anderson residents from The Great Register for the County of Shasta, California:

Elias Fleming ANDERSON, Kentucky, Railroad Clerk (son of Elias Anderson); William Somers ANDERSON, California, Farmer (son of Elias Anderson); George BAKER, New York, Cabinet Maker; Reuben BAKER, Pennsylvania, Farmer; John Leland CASTO, Indiana, Farmer; Joseph William DAILEY, Ohio, Farmer; Joseph FRATUS, Azore Islands, Laborer (Trinity Co., CA); William Marion JOHNSTON, Jr., California, Laborer; Riley Blythe MANN, Missouri, Farmer; Joseph Samuel PARHAM, Iowa, Laborer; Jonathan Stoner SCLEIGH, Pennsylvania, Blacksmith; George Horace SNOW, Missouri, Farmer; Harry STRODE, Pennsylvania, Stockraiser; Addison Marion STARK, Indiana, Farmer.~

1878 April 15, The American Ranch Post Office discontinued in April 1878 and the service was moved to the newly established community of Anderson 15 April 1878. Anderson, named for Elias Anderson, the owner of the American Ranch and American Hotel, had deeded property to the Central Pacific Railroad for the laying of the railroad track. The town was actually a railroad station in 1872, and then lots were sold for private dwellings. W. W. Elmore erected the second house in the town and said he had to cut through the manzanita to get to his house.

1878 April 15, The Anderson Post Office was ranked as a First Class post office in 1878, with Elias Anderson as the first postmaster. Some records show William S. Anderson as the first postmaster. 

1878 April 22, San Francisco Bulletin - Pacific Coast Postal Changes -  Washington April 21 - Post Office Names Changed:  American Ranch, Shasta county to Anderson. Postmasters appointed: Anderson, Shasta County, W. Anderson.

1880 January 29 - San Francisco Bulletin - Twenty-four cars of beef cattle have been shipped from Anderson, Shasta County, since January 1st. They were driven from Siskiyou County and said to be in splendid condition.~

1880 October 9, San Francisco Bulletin - A farmer has just arrived at Anderson, Shasta County, from the Bald Hills, with 1,500 turkeys, which he is pasturing in the vicinity.~

1880 December 8, George H. Anderson, Postmaster.

1880 December 13, San Francisco Bulletin, Washington, December 12th - Postmasters appointed:  George W. Anderson, Anderson, Shasta county...

1882 February 17, Postal Contracts let on 17 February 1882 included Anderson to Igo to Jerry Culverhouse for $448.00 per annum. The star route mail service was for the term of four years according to the Post Office Department.~

Then on 13 October 1882 an announcement came from Postmaster George Anderson of Anderson that the Postmaster General of Washington D.C. had discontinued the mail route between Anderson and Igo. Dunham and Leiter of Igo are carrying Wells, Fargo and Company treasury and as an accommodation are again conveying the mail backward and forward. It was understood that the Postmaster General had been informed of the true facts of the case and would probably order the route re-established. This route accommodates so many people in the county that it should be re-established.~

1883 November 25, Charles W. Richardson, Postmaster.

1885 July 10, James F. Bedford, Postmaster.

7 May 1886 - Anderson:  The much talked of free bridge of this place was decided on by the Board of Supervisors last night. There has been a bitter sectional fight in the county for three months over this matter and the actions of the board are being appreciated by the culmination of much enthusiasm here.~

6 May 1886 - The location of the bridge across the Sacramento River of this place was decided on by the Supervisors to-day to be at Wells Ferry.~

9 July 1886 - Shasta - The contract for an all iron bridge over the Sacramento River at Anderson, in this county, was to-day awarded to Captain Burrell of Oakland representing the California Bridge Company. The contract price is [unreadable]. The contract provides for five iron spans crossing the entire river. This will be the fifth bridge which this company has built across the Sacramento River, and the people of Anderson and the county generally are well pleased with the action of the Board of Supervisors.~

1887 Nov 22, Evening News, Anderson, Cal., Nov 22 - as Mrs. William Gates was returning from Texas Springs to her home in this place, at 8 o'clock last evening, she met persons in a carriage who fired a gun. Her horse ran away, throwing her into a ditch and wrecking the buggy. Three hours later she was found by passers unconscious and she has been insensible with slight intermission ever since. The perpetrators of the outrage it seems, fired the gun along the road out of pure deviltry.~

1889 December 7, James H. Beacher (Beecher?), Postmaster.

1894 June 15, Charles J. Bedford, Postmaster.

1894 December 17, Ira M. Fickas, Postmaster.

1899 February 8, Daniel Zumwalt, Postmaster.

1904 February 11, Grace E. Fuller, Postmaster.

1907 January 10, Grace E. Fuller, Postmaster.

1910 March 8, William S. Anderson, Postmaster.

1914 March 10, Edwin L. Story, Postmaster.

1920 October 1, O. F. Oliphant, Postmaster.

1920 December 17, Riverside Independent Enterprise - Cracksmen last night blew open the safe of the Anderson, Shasta county, postoffice says a special dispatch to the Sacramento Bee and obtained $200 in stamps, $39 in cash and a package of jewelry. The robbery was discovered this morning by Postmaster O. F. Oliphant. No clues were left.~

1921 November 8, Augustus H. Johnston, Postmaster.

1925 November 25, Lloyd E. Smith, Postmaster.

1928 November 1, Annie G. Bedford, Postmaster.

1930 December 25, Anderson Valley News - Mr. and Mrs. Leon Miller will have as their Christmas guests Tom Robinson and Harvey Miller of Sacramento; Mr. and Mrs. R.J. Robinson, Frank Miller and Roy Couey of Ono. Misses Clarabelle and Alma Robinson and Mr. and Mrs. H.T. Forschler of Redding. ~

1938 February 1, Mrs. Mary Ella Dow, Postmaster.

1958 January 31, Richard A. Wallace, Postmaster.

Monday
Sep122016

Andrews Creek

Named for Alexander R. Andrews, a member of the second California Constitutional Convention and an assemblyman from Shasta County at the 7th, 18th, and 19th sessions of the legislature, who had mining claims on this creek.

Wednesday
Aug262015

Antler(s)

See Also:  Gregory

Modern Day Highway Exit Sign reads Antlers.

1908 February 5, 4th Class Post Office established as Antler, Shasta County, California located 7 miles south of Bayles. Name stemmed from the deer and antelope antlers decorating the walls of the hotel. James F. Gregory was the first postmaster.

This post office was established from the Gregory Post Office that had been in the location since 18 September 1900, after the Central Pacific Railroad built a station in 1898. The same location had served as the Smithson Stage Station in 1879. The Gregory Hotel, 32 miles north of Redding and about 100 yards from the Sacramento River built by James Franklin "Frank" Gregory (1863-1936), in 1901, became popular with hunters and fishermen. Before long several sets of antlers adorned the walls thus the name change.

Frank Gregory was the first postmaster for both Gregory and Antlers. often assisted by his wife, Martha Ellen "Mattie" Nelson Greenwood Gregory (1856-1952). Mattie was also active as an operator for the Telephone Company of America.

There was also Gregory Creek nearby flowing into the Sacramento River named for this family.

1914 January 15, Post Office discontinued and service moved to Bayles.

Monday
Jun212010

Arbuckle

In southwest Shasta County there is an Arbuckle Mountain, Arbuckle Basin and Arbuckle Gulch.  There was also a community probably in the form of a miners' camp and not especially set on becoming a town. So why was it named Arbuckle? We always assume for the surname of a particular miner who discovers the gold or for that miner's hometown. In this case it was after the initial discovery and working of the diggings.

Sequence of events:

An Oregonian, named Engles, who was driven from "rich diggins" after just a few hours by the Indians may have been in Arbuckle Gulch. He talked about it in the community of Cottonwood.

October 1849,  A group of sixteen prospectors, after hearing from Engles about the rich diggings and letting Engles lead them toward the area up Cottonwood Creek and then he (Engles) slipped away with his new mining outfit and mule that the eager miners had provided for him. The large party later became alarmed and frightened by the Indians demonstration of might and fell back discouraged for not reaching the rich diggings and loosing the investment. They were not "Clear Creek" miners and supposedly left the area.

February 1850 - A party of twelve experienced miners from Clear Creek decided to venture into Indian territory to find what the stories were all about and really did find "rich diggins" in a basin of Cottonwood Creek. This party also met with the Indians and discussed as best as could be communicated an understanding that they were there to find gold and not bother or be bothered by each other. The Indians actually showed them the places to find the gold. When the prospectors went back to Clear Creek camp to gather their gear and provisions to return to the new site, other men, mostly Oregonians, followed them out.  To get along with each other in the mining gulches, they worked out a system of footage for each man's spot. The Indians remained troublesome, but the happy miners weren't as fearful of them. The miners were not experienced enough to follow the veins and get more gold and thus left.

The discoverers:

Abraham Cunningham, Alexander Robertson Andrews, French Tuttle, Noah Batchelder, Joseph Voshay, John S. Hittell, Samuel Nicholson, Samuel McConnell, ? Tomlinson, ? Davis, and two more unknowns.

This group also befriended a man by the surname of Watson and sent him into a place they had found on their first trip. This turned out to be a good find and was named for him as Watson Gulch.

According to Alexander Robertson Andrews who was actually in the party of twelve, the discovers, possibly writing in 1880, we have the following:

"After the discoverers left the Arbuckle mines they were deserted by white men until the spring of 1851, when they were again worked by a man named Arbuckle and they have been known as the Arbuckle Diggings since that time. They have been mined almost continuously since the time Arbuckle worked there and a great deal of gold has been taken from them. With the present improved facilities for obtaining water for mining there is little reason to doubt that the Arbuckle mines will yield largely in the future."

Arbuckle as a community didn't establish a post office or a school. The folks received their mail from the Horsetown Post Office or depended on an expressman. In 1871, George and John Parks had a general merchandise store to serve the mostly miners who lived there.

However, in The Great Register for the County of Shasta, 1877, Twenty-one men were listed as living in Arbuckle, all miners except Robert Shaw, a farmer, and George Willis Raymond, a Sheep Herder.~

Arbuckle being a popular place name in Shasta County I must make note here that we are talking about the Arbuckle Basin, Gulch and Mountain in southwest Shasta County mapped from the USGS 7.5' Map, Arbuckle Mountain.

1862 September 4, San Francisco Bulletin -

Homicide in Shasta County - On August 22nd at New Gulch, two miles from Arbuckle, Shasta County, a man named Butler was shot and instantly killed by one Larry Crumbe. The cause of the affair was a dispute about a squaw. Crumbe escaped.~

1877, The GREAT REGISTER of the COUNTY of SHASTA:

Local Residents listed in Arbuckle, Shasta County, California, did not hide the fact they were there for mining. George Willis Raymond brought sheep into the locale to take advantage of the grass.

Robert BLAIR, Scotland, Miner, Arbuckle (Shasta County); William BOWERS, Ireland, Miner, Arbuckle; Charles CABANEKE, Poland, Miner. Arbuckle (Shasta County); Thomas CLARK, Ireland, Miner, Arbuckle (Sullivan County, New York); Joseph DIEHL, _____, Miner, Arbuckle (Shasta County); George Warren DIXON, England, Miner (Shasta County); William HICKS, Massachusetts, Miner, Arbuckle; William LEESE, Isle of Man, Miner, Arbuckle; Antonio LOZADA, Mexico, Miner, Arbuckle (Shastas County); John PARK, England, Miner, Arbuckle (Lucerne, Connecticut); William PARK, England, Miner, Arbuckle (Shasta County); Robert Augustus POWERS, New York, Miner, Arbuckle; Alexander Columbus PHILPOT, Kentucky, Miner, Arbuckle; George Willis RAYMOND, USA, Sheep Herder, Arbuckle; John REAGAN, USA, Miner, Arbuckle; Robert SHAW, Ohio, Farmer, Arbuckle; Cornelius SULLIVAN, Ireland, Miner, Arbuckle; William SULLIVAN, Ireland, Miner, Arbuckle; Meinrad SCHAFFTER, France, Miner, Arbuckle (Shasta County); Gregor SCHNIEDER, Germany, Miner, Arbuckle; John WILLIS, Prussia, Miner, Arbuckle (Shasta County). ~

Wednesday
Oct142015

Ash Creek

Stream - Tributary to the Sacramento River. Ash Creek was designated the southern boundary of a Reservation planned for Shasta County Native Americans in 1851 Treaty No. 8, which was never ratified.~

Tuesday
Jun042013

Baird (Community)

See also under Fish Hatcheries Category.

1878 April 8,  The 4th Class Post Office was established at Baird on 8 April 1878 to serve the community that had grown up around the United States Fish Hatchery of the same name. Myron Green, of the Salmon Breeding Station, served as the first Postmaster. The P.O. was discontinued on 31 January 1920 and re-established 16 October 1929 until 15 August 1933 when the service moved to Ydalpom. 

1878 April 8, Myron Green, Postmaster.

1878 May 6, Mrs. Eva Green, Postmaster.

1879 November 24, James A. Richardson, Postmaster.

In 1881, a Mr. Richardson was listed as postmaster. Lawrence Bass also kept the general store and the post office within. In 1885, R. Radcliff was listed as postmaster.~

1882 December 18, J. M. Willey, Postmaster.

1883 January 9, Robert Radcliff, Postmaster.

1891 January 22, Joseph Bass, Postmaster.

1918 July 5, Dean H. Briggs, Postmaster.

1920 January 31, P.O. discontinued.

1929 October 16, Mrs. Nancy R. Frick, Postmaster for the re-established Baird Post Office.

1933 August 15, Baird Post Office discontinued and service moved to Ydalpom.

Friday
Jun112010

Bald Hills

1856 February 5, San Francisco Bulletin, from Shasta Courier: From the Bald Hills, we learn that along the whole length of the Bald Hill ditch, which conveys the waters of a branch of Cottonwood Creek through the region of country around Bald Hills, for a distance of eight or ten miles, laborers are rewarded with highly remunerative wages.~

1859 June 25, Shasta Courier - Election - Bald Hills- Knowlton's Store, Judges: William Knowlton and John Fowler.~

1871 - Pacific Coast Directory for California - Bald Hills folks had to get their mail at Horsetown or receive it via an Express man. It was considered 25 miles to Shasta. Michael Braner was a wool and sheep merchant; James S. Drew had a blacksmith shop and Henry Gary provided general merchandise.~

1877, List from The GREAT REGISTER for Shasta County:  Bald Hills - the center is considered 6 miles south of Ono between North Fork and Middle Fork Cottonwood Creek. It was reported by Whitney in 1865, that the range of hills had a peculiar appearance because it was destitute of trees and shrubs.

Elijah Dixon BAKER, USA, Miner, Bald Hills; John Baptiste BALLOY, France, Miner, Bald Hills; Michael BREWER, Germany, Farmer, Bald Hills (Shasta County); James Martin CHESNUTT, USA, Farmer, Bald Hills; Meredith Clark COSTEN, Tennessee, Farmer, Bald Hills; Manuel Fortado DACRAZ, Portugal, Miner, Bald Hills; Henry Johnson DELLEBANTE, USA, Miner, Bald Hills; James Harvey DICKERSON, Georgia, Miner, Bald Hills; Thomas LARKIN, Missouri, Farmer, Bald Hills; Frank LITCH, USA, Miner, Bald Hills; Jehu McMINN, Georgia, Miner, Bald Hills; William Voluntine MURPHY, Pennsylvania, Miner, Bald Hills; James SOWLE, USA, Miner, Bald Hills; Jehu STUCK, USA, Farmer, Bald Hills; Carl VOSS, Germany, Farmer, Bald Hills (Shasta County).~

1877 February 1, Weekly Rescue (Sacramento, California) - Shasta County - Bald Hills Lodge, No. 170, recently gave an "oyster supper," the net proceeds of which, $40. was applied in liquidation of hall debt. Brother William S. Kidder, the Lodge Deputy, says the hall debt will soon be wiped out, when something substantial will be done for the Orphans' Home Fund. The "dime collection" was not taken, but a temperance meeting will be held on the 11th inst., when the collection will be for the benefit of the "N.T.S. dime collection."~

1880 - Census - Dutch Gulch Report - "The census taker then turned west into what he called the 'Bald Hills.' He found another single stock raiser, and then William Frazer, placed by Homestead records in the northeast corner of Section 32. The census taker next found five households of Anglo and Indian miners, some with wives but none with children. One of these is listed as Charlie, and would be Charlie Maupin. . ."

Isaac Crow, for whom Crow Creek is named, is living with an Indian wife as of 1880. Together this group of five households probably formed the Indian Village near Gas Point.

Other families listed in 1880 are Rader and Marshall. The Marshall place later became the Thomasson place.~

Fall 1883, Redding Free Press -Strange it is how settlers will live for years in a certain locality and know scarcely anything of its resources. We are told that a gentleman settled in the Bald Hills, near Igo, and for four years hauled all the water he used. Finally he determined to sink a well, and upon going down twenty feet struck a stream of artesian water which ran over the top of the well.~

1899 December 24, Red Bluff Daily News - BIG LAND DEAL - A deed was filed for record Friday wherein the San Francisco Savings Union transfer to the Cosmos Land and Water Company 8360 acres of land in the Bald Hills in Shasta County. The land is part of the noted diamond stock range formerly owned by Hardin & Riley, the Santa Rosa cattlemen. The price paid is quoted at $39,200. The range extends into Tehama county and it is presumed that part of it is also included in the transfer. - Free Press.~

1901 July 19, Red Bluff Daily News, SHEEP FEED BURNED - Booker Gill, who has a band of sheep in Shasta County, had the misfortune to lose all his fall feed by a fire which swept over his range, which is just west of Major Kimball's sheep range, in the bald hills country. Fire just missed the latter's range.~

1901 - Red Bluff Daily News - Two oil firms tested the land in the Bald Hills area, southern Shasta County (on Kimball's Sheep Range) searching for oil. Kimball's acreage there was from 4,500 to 6,000 acres.

1911 - The Chinese Store in the Bald Hills closed. (?)~

1914 May 3, Redding Record Searchlight (Today in History 3 May 2014)- "The Excelsior School in the Bald Hills closed on April 24. The pupils who passed the examinations were Fern Drew, Money Hickman, John Drew, Frank Drew, Charlotte Coumbs, Gladys Coumbs, Eva Walker, Ray Walker and Mabel Walker. Martha Hufford was the teacher."~

1917 March 9, Sacramento Union, BIG TRACT IN SHASTA IS SOLD FOR $20,000 - The most important land deal made in Shasta county in some time was closed in this city, today when the James Miller estate of 5000 acres of stock range in the Bald Hills was sold to William Foster and Dr. G. W. Grotenfend of the Trinity Land and Cattle Company for $20,000, including all stock and improvements.

The land is situated 24 miles southwest of Redding on the middle fork of Cottonwood Creek. It contains some farming alnd and the balance is some of the best stock range in western Shasta county. The Trinity Land and Cattle Company has extensive stock ranges near Trinity Center for summer grazing.

William Foster, who closed the deal says the company will start improving the property within the next few days by building fences, barns and corral.~

1922 June 29, Red Bluff Daily News (90 years ago, 29 June 2012) - One of the largest land deals that has been consummated in this section of the state in many years was completed today when K. King sold to James Barry, well-known stockman, the famous Kimball or Bald Hills Ranch of 600 acres in Shasta County. [reportedly for $100,000.]~

1947 March 27 Myra Giles' Scrapbook and written by Rosena A. Giles (sister) for a newspaper:

MYSTERY BLAST OF 1869 NOW BELIEVED CAUSED BY METEOR - It was on Feb. 5, 1869, when a strange thing occurred in the vicinity of Bald Hills. The day was fair with no indication of storm. The people residing in the western part of the county, around noon noticed a dense, peculiar cloud hanging over the Bald hills near the head of Roaring River. About 3 p.m. the residents of Bald Hills, Roaring River, Eagle Creek and Janesville were startled by an explosion so terrifically loud and strange in sound as to cause confusion and fear to some that the fatal hour of account had come to the world.

In the immediate locality of Bald Hills the earth was felt to vibrate for several seconds after the explosion which some thought to be an earthquake. Many persons in the town of Shasta, 20 miles from the Bald huills heard the explosion. Parties on Roaring River in the vicinity of Gray's Store said that they heard one very loud report which was followed by a succession of lesser sounds resembling the simultaneous discharge of artillery.

Two men, a white man and an Indian were tending a ditch at Bald Hills when the explosion occurred. The former, a man of intelligence and veracity, states that while he and the Indian were passing along the ditch he observed a sudden flash of yellowish light which illuminated everything around, followed by explosive sounds so loud he was stunned. While the sounds were still reverberating he saw something resembling an immense ball of blazing fire fall with great velocity to the earth, and the earth trembled beneath his feet. His first impression was that the falling body had struck within a few hundred yards of him but afterwards concluded that the distance was much greater. The air smelled strongly of the peculiar odor of that caused by friction-generated heat in machinery.

The Indian, beholding the mysterious fiery mass, fell upon the ground covering his face with his hands in abject terror. Then he leaped up and ran, never stopping until he reached a ranncheria several miles distant. There he told his companions that the Great Spirit was very angry with him for some reason.

We have concluded the falling mass was a great aerolite or meteoric body. A period of heavy storms followed so that investigation seemed impossible.

Mr. Durfor, who was driving McDonald's express wagon on the same days says that he distinctly saw the flash of the meteor from near the Terbush place, and was greatly mystified for the sun was shining brightly and no indication of storm was anywhere visible.

William Miller of Eagle Creek, working on his claim some distance from home, hurried to his house fearing that several kegs of powder that he had stored there, had exploded. The explosion was heard at Bass' on Stillwater and at Woodman's on Cow Creek.

It seems at this later day that such a demonstration should not have been easily forgotten even in that day of lesser explosions traceable to man and nature:  explosions that had to be marked to find an ear to break against. I wonder if anyone, or his descendants, living today can recall anything about it? Who can?

Tuesday
Nov152011

Ball's Ferry (Community)

See also:  Parkville.

1875 October 4, A 4th class Post Office was established at this location 6 miles northeast of Cottonwood on 4 October 1875. It was named for William Wallace Ball (1826-1888), the first postmaster. Ball operated a  ferry across the Sacramento River and was the proprietor of the Ball's Ferry, Shasta, California, Hotel. The ferry was replaced by a bridge in 1897.

1875 October 4, was also the discontinuation of the Parkville Post Office which had been located 1 mile north on Ash Creek. Moving it 1 mile south, it became the Ball's Ferry Post Office.

1875 October 11, San Francisco Bulletin, Postal Changes for the Pacific Coast, Washingto, D.C., October 10 -Name changed--"Park View (s/b Parkville), Shasta County, California, to Ball's Ferry, and William W. Ball appointed Postmaster."

Before the Post Office discontinued on 29 February 1916, postmasters included:  Willaim W. Ball, George Wright, Robert Beck, Willie Flowers, Harry Hall, Timothy Goodman and William G. Hall. Upon closure, the residents received their mail through the Cottonwood Post Office.~

1877, Per the Great Register of the County of Shasta, California:  Philip Joseph GLASS, Germany, Farmer; Frank KENYON, Missouri, Laborer; William T. WILLIAMSON, California, Ferryman.~

1881, History and Business Directory for the County of Shasta, California listed eight businessmen for Ball's Ferry:  James ARNOLD, Farmer; W.W. BALL, Hotel; G.W. HALL, Farmer; William LOSAN; Farmer; A.J. LOSAN, Farmer; E.H. LOSAN, Farmer; Isaac SHOUSE, Farmer and J.F. WINSELL, Farmer. [LOSAN should be LOGAN]~

1888 June 30, George P. Wright, Postmaster.

1891 September 29, Charles J. Ball, Postmaster.

1899 December 1, Robert O. Beck, Postmaster.

1900 December 15, Willie Flowers, Postmaster.

1902 February 28, Harry Hall, Postmaster.

1902, May Day Edition of the Cottonwood Herald - "Harry Hall, the genial and popular member of the firm of Hall & Morgan, Balls Ferry, is a son of W.S. Hall who came to Tehama county in "the days of forty-nine." Mr. Hall, when he became of age, went into the livery business at Anderson where he remained two years, afterwards dealing in stock. Early this year he formed a partnership with George Morgan, purchasing the Balls Ferry Hotel and Store. The firm is doing a good business and have a promising future."~

1902 May, This glowing report was a special article in the May Day Edition of the Cottonwood Herald - Along the picturesque Sacramento River, there is not a prettier spot than that occupied by the Balls Ferry Milling Company. The mill enjoys the proud distinction of being the only one in Shasta County which places its product direct on the market made from grain grown within its surroundings.

That the output under the management of Mr. L.D. Cheney, has proven successful, it is only necessary to say that the mill, which has a capacity of fifty barrels a day, is worked to the fullest extent, and arrangements are already in progress to increase the output.

The roller process -- the very latest, run by water-power which secures the best results in flour-milling-- is still adopted with he best results, being operated by one of the oldest and best miller in the state.

The Herald learns with much satisfaction that the trade both here and at Redding, De LaMar, Copper City and other places in the county, has been doubled since Mr. Cheney took charge of the mill.

Everything in and around the mill has been improved and renovated, and not a feature that would add to the perfecting of a flour mill has been neglected in the new arrangements.

That the mill will meet with success in the future is a foregone conclusion; the article speaks for itself and behind it is the right man in the right position. ~

1903 November 17, Timothy D. Goodman, Postmaster.

1904 February 7, Seattle Daily Times (Seattle, WA) - Ad. - Flour Mill for sale or exchange for stock of merchandise. A 50-bbl.roller, sifter system, water power mill in most prosperous part of California. Mill is practically new; abundance of grain, fine mill door trade; entire output marketed in vicinity. address L.D. Cheney, Ball's Ferry, Cal.~

1914 August 6, William G. Hall, Postmaster.

1914 August 8, Sacramento Union - NAME CALIFORNIA POSTMASTERS - Washington D.C., Aug 7 - The following fourth class postmasters for offices in California have been named:  Balls Ferry, Shasta county, William G. Hall. . .

1916 February 29, Ball's Ferry Post Office discontinued and  service moved to Cottonwood.

1958 September 7, San Diego Union- The Wildlife Conservation Board is spending $48, 131. for boat launching ramps along the Sacramento River - At Anderson and Balls Ferry in Shasta County, and at Bend Bridge, Tehama County.~

Friday
Jun102016

Bass 

See:  Stillwater > Mountain Gate

Tuesday
Jun082010

Battle Creek

Also see "Battle Creek" under Tehama County.

1832, The stream was first called Sycamore Creek in 1832, and John C. Fremont called it Noza or Nozi Creek in 1846.  After, perhaps more than one White Man/Indian skirmish along the stream people began calling it Battle Creek.

The Battle Creek Community commenced in the 1850's with Alexander Love, Samuel Sheldon, Dr. James F. Winsell and others taking up residence near the Sacramento River and what was once an island that became known as Bloody Island.~

1865, The Battle Creek Post Office was established 14 Sep 1865 and discontinued 25 February 1877 when the mail went to the Ball's Ferry Post Office. The Battle Creek post office was actually located in Tehama County.~

1877, Per the Great Register for the County of Shasta, California:  181, William Marshall BALES, Indiana, Carpenter; 182, Bowater BALES, North Carolina, Carpenter; 333, William Henderson COFFEY, Indiana, Farmer~

Saturday
Jun012013

Bayha

1900 January 4, The Post Office was established 4 January 1900, 4 miles NE of Stillwater (currently Mountain Gate) and 6 miles south of Baird to service the headquarters village of the Black Diamond Mining Company. The first Postmaster was Adam Kirk (1851-1918). Discontinued 31 May 1907, the mail service moved to Buckeye.

George Ludwig Bayha (1872-1935) was involved with mine ownerships and promotion. He partnered in the Evening Star as well as the Black Diamond and arranged for sales of some of the mines to foreign interests. Bayha is credited with building the Pit River Bridge Resort in 1922. Located where the Pit and McCloud Rivers merged prior to Shasta Dam, the resort was a popular social gathering place and service station for automobile travelers.~

1900 March 1, San Francisco Call - INTERESTS THE PEOPLE OF THE PACIFIC COAST - Washington, Feb. 28 - " A postoffice was to-day established at Bayha, Shasta County, and Adam S. Kirk was appointed Postmaster."

1900 December 5, Charles F. Rehwald, Postmaster.

1900 December 8, Press Democrat - PENSIONS & POSTMASTERS - Washington D.C., Dec 5 - Postmaster Appointed:  Bayha, Shasta County, C. F. Rehwald.

1901 April 30, Herman J. Seufert, Postmaster.

1901 May 1, San Francisco Call - INTERESTS THE PEOPLE OF THE PACIFIC COAST - Washington, April 30 -Postmaster Appointed - CALIFORNIA - H. J. Seufert, Bayha, Shasta County, vice C. F. Rehwald, resigned.

1903 January 13, Lawrence E. Peterson, Postmaster.

1907 May 31, The Bayha, Shasta County, California Post Office was discontinued and the service moved to Buckeye, Shasta County, California.

1911 November 7, Sacramento Union - SHASTA MINE SOLD - Kennett (Shasta Co.) Nov 6 - The Golinsky mines near Kennett were sold to a German syndicate for $100,000. The sale was made by George Bayha, a well known mining man of this county, who is now in Germany.~

 

Monday
Jun032013

Bayles > Delta

1884 December 4, The Bayles, Shasta County, California Post Office was established 4 December 1884 as a 4th Class, 5 miles S of Slate Creek and 6 miles N of Smithson in the Sacramento River Canyon. The town site was named for Abraham M. Bayles who also served as the first Postmaster. 

1885 August 14,  Wheeler C. Blumberg, Postmaster.

1887 January 3, Mark R. Hardin, Postmaster.

1898 January 10,  Mrs. Vercilla A. Sanders, Postmaster.

1898 January 13, Los Angeles Herald, Commissioned postmaster:  Mrs. H. L. Sanders at Bayles, Shasta county, California, vice Mark R. Hardin resigned.

1908 February 21, James P. Beard, Postmaster.

1915 March 1, Sacramento Union, The following fourth-class postmasters in northern California have been appointed: ...Bayles, James P. Beard...

1918 May 20, Annie B. Beard, Postmaster.

1929 August 14, Mrs. Nellie L. Stillson, Postmaster.

1944 March 1, Mrs. Louella McVey, Postmaster.

1948 May 1, Bayles Post Office service became Delta, Shasta County, California.~

Sunday
Apr072013

Bee Creek

Rises in Shasta County, in T. 30 N., R 7 W., at altitude 700 feet above sea level; flows north of east 2 miles into North Fork of Cottonwood Creek (Tributary through Cottonwood Creek to Sacramento River); 1 1/2 miles south of Ono; fall, about 25 feet. - Gazetteer of Surface Waters of California, Part I Sacramento River Basin prepared by B.D. Wood under the direction of John C. Hoyt, 1912.

Wednesday
Jun022010

Beegum

1895 December 6, History of California Post Offices 1849-1976- The 4th Class Post Office was established at Beegum, Shasta County and by moving it 1/4 mile on 18 January 1900, ended up in Tehama County, California. It was then discontinued on 31 December 1917, and the residents received their mail through the Knob Post Office. Located 10 miles southeast of Knob and 42 miles northwest of Red Bluff, Beegum is a colloquial synonym to describe a bee colony. The nearby peak was honeycombed with holes inhabited by bees. Sarah Wolcott was the first postmaster.

1895 December 6, Mrs. Sarah Wolcott, Postmaster, Shasta County location.

1900 January 18, Lemuel D. Graves, Postmaster, Tehama County location.

1901 April 8, John D. Graves, Postmaster, Tehama County.

1903 August 28, John F. Goodrum, Postmaster, Tehama County.

1908 November 16, William D. Linton, Postmaster, Tehama County.

1916 January 3, Robert A. Howard, Postmaster, Tehama County.

1916 November 15, William C. Wright, Postmaster, Tehama County.

1917 December 31, Beegum Post Office discontinued. Service moved to Knob, Shasta County, California.