« American Ranch | Main | Andrews Creek »
Wednesday
Jun022010

Anderson

The town of Anderson was established 10 miles south-southeast of Redding - Anderson Creek, a stream, flows 16 miles to the Sacramento River, 2.25 miles south of Ball's Ferry - Railroad - Post Office - Schools:  anderson, Lone Tree, Anderson High - Farming - Fruit Packing - Box Factory -

Anderson was established as a railroad station town in 1872, by the California and Oregon (Central Pacific) as it built northward from Sacramento to Oregon. The Railroad Company named the location for Elias Anderson of American Ranch, as they bought right-of-way land from him. Mr. Anderson's land was originally part of Major P.B. Reading's Mexican Land Grant.

"Thomas Freeman was the first settler to buy here in 1854. His adobe was a convenient stopping place for miners, freighters, and pack trains on their way to the gold diggings."

"Elias Anderson bought Freeman's 160 acre American Ranch in December 1856, and enlarged the ranch to 370 acres. He then built and operated the original American Ranch Hotel. In 1878, he bought a lot in the new town for $100 and moved his wood-frame hotel to the corner of Center and Ferry Streets, across from the Railroad Depot." - Anderson Historical Society and Museum Brochure

1876 February 10, Anderson School established by means of American Ranch School Districrt changing its name to Anderson School District.~

1877, A list of Anderson residents from The Great Register for the County of Shasta, California:  Elias Fleming ANDERSON, Kentucky, Railroad Clerk (son of Elias Anderson); William Somers ANDERSON, California, Farmer (son of Elias Anderson); George BAKER, New York, Cabinet Maker; Reuben BAKER, Pennsylvania, Farmer; John Leland CASTO, Indiana, Farmer; Joseph William DAILEY, Ohio, Farmer; Joseph FRATUS, Azore Islands, Laborer (Trinity Co., CA); William Marion JOHNSTON, Jr., California, Laborer; Riley Blythe MANN, Missouri, Farmer; Joseph Samuel PARHAM, Iowa, Laborer; Jonathan Stoner SCLEIGH, Pennsylvania, Blacksmith; George Horace SNOW, Missouri, Farmer; Harry STRODE, Pennsylvania, Stockraiser; Addison Marion STARK, Indiana, Farmer.~

1878 May 11, Central School established. (Near Anderson and Oak Knoll)~

1878 April 15, The American Ranch Post Office discontinued in April 1878 and the service was moved to the newly established community of Anderson 15 April 1878. Anderson, named for Elias Anderson, the owner of the American Ranch and American Hotel, had deeded property to the Central Pacific Railroad for the laying of the railroad track. The town was actually a railroad station in 1872, and then lots were sold for private dwellings. W. W. Elmore erected the second house in the town and said he had to cut through the manzanita to get to his house.~

1878 April 15, The Anderson Post Office was ranked as a First Class post office in 1878, with Elias Anderson as the first postmaster. Some records show William S. Anderson as the first postmaster.~

1878 April 22, San Francisco Bulletin - Pacific Coast Postal Changes -  Washington April 21 - Post Office Names Changed:  American Ranch, Shasta county to Anderson. Postmasters appointed: Anderson, Shasta County, W. Anderson.

1878 August 7, Central School rescinded.~

1880 January 29 - San Francisco Bulletin - Twenty-four cars of beef cattle have been shipped from Anderson, Shasta County, since January 1st. They were driven from Siskiyou County and said to be in splendid condition.~

1880 October 9, San Francisco Bulletin - A farmer has just arrived at Anderson, Shasta County, from the Bald Hills, with 1,500 turkeys, which he is pasturing in the vicinity.~

1880 December 8, George H. Anderson, Postmaster.~

1880 December 13, San Francisco Bulletin, Washington, December 12th - Postmasters appointed:  George W. Anderson, Anderson, Shasta county...

1881 July 23, Shasta Courier - List of School District Clerks - Anderson: J.F. Bedford of Anderson.~

1881 - Mrs. J.C. King; Mrs. Eliza P. Veeder, Teachers.~

1882 February 17, Postal Contracts let on 17 February 1882 included Anderson to Igo to Jerry Culverhouse for $448.00 per annum. The star route mail service was for the term of four years according to the Post Office Department.~

1882 October 13, An announcement came from Postmaster George Anderson of Anderson that the Postmaster General of Washington D.C. had discontinued the mail route between Anderson and Igo. Dunham and Leiter of Igo are carrying Wells, Fargo and Company treasury and as an accommodation are again conveying the mail backward and forward. It was understood that the Postmaster General had been informed of the true facts of the case and would probably order the route re-established. This route accommodates so many people in the county that it should be re-established.~

1883 November 25, Charles W. Richardson, Postmaster.~

1885 - Shasta County Directory - R. Berger, Principal. Teachers:  Mrs. A. Dodson, George O. English, Mrs. E.A. King, D.C. Reed, Miss L. Shaw.~

1885 July 10, James F. Bedford, Postmaster.~

1886 May 6 - The location of the bridge across the Sacramento River of this place was decided on by the Supervisors to-day to be at Wells Ferry.~

1886 May 7, Anderson:  The much talked of free bridge of this place was decided on by the Board of Supervisors last night. There has been a bitter sectional fight in the county for three months over this matter and the actions of the board are being appreciated by the culmination of much enthusiasm here.~

1886 July 9 - Shasta - The contract for an all iron bridge over the Sacramento River at Anderson, in this county, was to-day awarded to Captain Burrell of Oakland representing the California Bridge Company. The contract price is [unreadable]. The contract provides for five iron spans crossing the entire river. This will be the fifth bridge which this company has built across the Sacramento River, and the people of Anderson and the county generally are well pleased with the action of the Board of Supervisors.~

1886 July 9, San Francisco Bulletin - Anderson, Shasta county, was made happy last evening over the fact that the County board of Supervisors had rejected the petition in opposition to the projected Anderson Free Bridge. Anvils were fired and general hand-shaking followed the announcement of the supervisors decision.~

1887 July 7, Lone Tree School established between Anderson and Balls Ferry.~

1887 Nov 22, Evening News, Anderson, Cal., Nov 22 - as Mrs. William Gates was returning from Texas Springs to her home in this place, at 8 o'clock last evening, she met persons in a carriage who fired a gun. Her horse ran away, throwing her into a ditch and wrecking the buggy. Three hours later she was found by passers unconscious and she has been insensible with slight intermission ever since. The perpetrators of the outrage it seems, fired the gun along the road out of pure deviltry.~

1889 December 7, James H. Beacher (Beecher?), Postmaster.~

1894 June 15, Charles J. Bedford, Postmaster.~

1894 December 17, Ira M. Fickas, Postmaster.~

1895 August 19San Francisco Chronicle, Shasta County Teachers - Lone Tree School:  Elizabeth Jones.~

1899 February 8, Daniel Zumwalt, Postmaster.~

1899 August 12Searchlight, Redding, California - Shasta's List of School Teachers - Anderson:  E. Vickers, Annie Price, Myrtle Fuller.~

1899 December 3Searchlight, Redding, California - Professor Vickers, principal of the Anderson schools, was visiting his brother, J.F. Vickers in Redding Saturday.~

1903 - Teachers:  Alice Dodson, Olive Bedford, Lutie Fisher, J.H. Creighton, A.D. Cunningham.

1904 February 11, Grace E. Fuller, Postmaster.~

1904 July 15, Weekly Searchlight, Redding, California - Teachers Employed - ...Miss Laura Boyer, Lone Tree...

1905, 1906 - Alice Dodson, Olive Bedford, Lutie Fisher, J.H. Creighton, A.D. Cunningham, Macie I. Dack, James Matlock, Jr., Eliza Wagner, Estelle Matlock, Maude Anderson.

1907 January 10, Grace E. Fuller, Postmaster.~

1908 July 9, Sacramento Union - Teachers Selected for Shasta County Schools -Anderson - Miss Olive Bedford, Miss Myra Giles, Miss Hazel Keeran and Miss Macie Dack.~

1908 - Miss Carrie Davis, Teacher, Lone Tree School.~

1909 July 1, Anderson Union High School established.~

1910 March 8, William S. Anderson, Postmaster.~

1911 May 23Sacramento Bee - Anderson, Shasta County - The Anderson Grammar School closed today after a successful nine months term. The teachers for the past terms were:  Olive Bedford, Principal; Myra Giles, Macie Dack, and Elsie Shepherd.~

1911 July 8, Sacramento Union - Teachers appointed:  Miss Olive Bedford, Myra Giles, Macie Dack, Eva Cornwall.~

1914 March 10, Edwin L. Story, Postmaster.~

1915 May 19, Searchlight, Redding, California - ANDERSON TEACHERS - The following teachers have been employed to teach the next term of the Anderson Grammar School:  Mrs. Eva Whalen, principal; Miss Iva Morris, Miss Ethel Anderson, Miss Leila Alexander and Miss Virginia Shanahan.~

1915 August 14, Searchlight, Redding, California - TEACHERS CHOSEN - Anderson -  Mrs. Eva Whalen, Miss Exbel Anderson, Miss Virginia Shanahan, Miss Iva Morris, and Miss Leila J. Alexander; Anderson High - H.R. Gaines, Principal; Miss Zella V. Eddy, Miss Emma L. Bammann, Roy E. Simpson, (need two more); and, Lone Tree - Miss Norma Cravens.~

1915 August 22, Searchlight, Redding, California - ANDERSON SCHOOLS - The grammar school of Anderson will open on Monday, September 20. The date is set later than common in other parts of the county so as to permit the children to work in the prune harvest.~

1915 September 23, Searchlight, Redding, California - LONE TREE SCHOOL BEGINS - The Lone Tree school, near Anderson, opened Monday, having been delayed a week in order to let children helping on the prune harvest finish their work. Twenty-eight pupils are enrolled. Miss norma Craven is the teacher.~

1917 December 23, San Francisco Chronicle - Anderson, December 22 - Roy E. Simpson, for two years vice-principal of the Anderson Union High School, has resigned his position to go to Washington to take a position in the quartermaster department.~

1920 October 1, O. F. Oliphant, Postmaster.~

1920 December 17, Riverside Independent Enterprise - Cracksmen last night blew open the safe of the Anderson, Shasta county, postoffice says a special dispatch to the Sacramento Bee and obtained $200 in stamps, $39 in cash and a package of jewelry. The robbery was discovered this morning by Postmaster O. F. Oliphant. No clues were left.~

1921 November 8, Augustus H. Johnston, Postmaster.~

1923 March 25Searchlight, Redding, California - Miss Myra E. Giles, teacher of the Lone Tree school, was in the county seat Saturday to attend the meeting of the County Board of Education.~

1923 May 19, Searchlight, Redding, California - Mrs. A.J. McFarlin, who had spent several days in Kennett visiting Mr. and Mrs. Dalice Smith, came to Redding Thursday to remain until Saturday with other relatives. Mrs. McFarlin's home is in Anderson.~

1923 June 14, Searchlight, Redding, California - LONE TREE TEACHER - Mrs. Ollo Meyer has been engaged to teach the next term of school in the Lone Tree District between Anderson and Balls Ferry.~

1925 November 25, Lloyd E. Smith, Postmaster.~

1928 November 1, Annie G. Bedford, Postmaster.~

1930 December 25, Anderson Valley News - Mr. and Mrs. Leon Miller will have as their Christmas guests Tom Robinson and Harvey Miller of Sacramento; Mr. and Mrs. R.J. Robinson, Frank Miller and Roy Couey of Ono. Misses Clarabelle and Alma Robinson and Mr. and Mrs. H.T. Forschler of Redding. ~

1938 February 1, Mrs. Mary Ella Dow, Postmaster.~

1941 - H.A. Steidley, Anna B. Kimball, Elsie Morgan, Lucille Dailey, Virginia Spear, Teachers~

1958 January 31, Richard A. Wallace, Postmaster.~

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Post:
 
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>