"Shasta County" 
Friday, June 4, 2010 at 7:29PM
Jo Giessner

1844 - Mexican Land Grant to Major Pierson B. Reading called San Buenaventura in Shasta county. Consisted of 26,632 acres

1850 February 14 - California's first legislature created Shasta County. One of original 27 counties.

1850 October 7 - W. R. Harrison sworn in as first Shasta County Judge.

1851 February 11 - Existing townships were Shasta, Lower Springs, Clear Creek and Cottonwood.

1851 August 7 - Additonal  four townships set up by the Court of Sessions: French Gulch, Fortunate (Oak Bottom and Whiskeytown), Scott's (now in Siskiyou County) and Shasta Plains (included all the rest of Siskiyou County and all that is now Modoc County).

1852 December 1, Alta California - In 1852, various communities in Shasta County contributed to the Washington Monument! "From Shasta precinct $86.50; Quartz Hill $7.00; Oak Bottom $4.50; Mule Town $5.00; Lower Springs $9.50; Horse Town $26.50; French Gulch $25.00; Whisky Creek $36.75; Eagle Creek $7.50; Middletown $6.60; Cottonwood $7.80; One Dog Town $7.00 and Red Bluff $20.00."~

1855 January 26, Daily Democratic State Journal (Sacramento, California) - Postmasters/Offices as of 15th Day April 1854:  Cottonwood, Shasta, David C. Hamilton; Horsetown, Shasta, George W. Baker; Kilna, Shasta, William Potter; Red Bluffs, Shasta, S. M. Bishop; Shasta, Shasta, D. H. Harrell.~

1855, Public Highways

Shasta - Red Bluff via Briggsville; Shasta - Upper Mountain House via Whiskeytown; Shasta - French Gulch via Main Street; Shasta - Squaw Creek via Waugh's Ferry; High Street via schoolhouse, courthouse, sheriff's office, St. Charles lot.; End of High Street, run to Main via Methodist Church, Trinity House and Trinity Avenue; Stockton & Andrews Bridge to Muletown via Horsetown; Jackass Flat to Bald Hills via Horsetown, Stockton & Andrews Bridge; Conger's Ranch to Seldon and Atkins sawmill on Clear Creek; Lean's Ferry via Cottonwood to McComber's Mill via Daingerfield's Ferry and Smith Ranch; Daingerfield Ferry to Jones & Shepperson's via Battle Creek crossing.~

1855 July 28, The Shasta Courier - RACING- The race between Tanner's mare "Lucy" and Harvey's bay horse "Billy" for a purse of $1000.00 - distance 350 yards - will come off, over Bell's Course on Clear Creek on Sunday, August 5th.

Other race tracks noted in Shasta County in newspaper articles between 1855 and 1859, were at Oak Bottom and the Cannon House Course.~

1855 September 24, Daily Democratic State Journal (Sacramento, California) - Increase - The election returns of Shasta show an increase of population in that county of 1,144 men in one year.

There can be but little doubt that the adult portion of our population numbers considerable over three thousand souls. From information furnished by persons recently arrived from Siskiyou and Trinity, we are satisfied that to this will be added at least a thousand miners within the next two months. They are attracted hither by the certainty of an abundant supply of water in the Middletown, Muletown, Horsetown, Briggsville, Jackass Flat, and Texas Springs diggings--thanks to the Clear Creek Ditch Company --Shasta Courier.~

Members of Western Star Lodge #2 have formed three other Lodges in Shasta County.

1857, The first was Clinton Lodge #119 Under Dispensation of The Grand Lodge of California dated June 27, 1857, Chartered on May 17, 1858, at Horsetown and subsequently moving to Piety Hill and then to Igo (all three locations near Clear Creek). Clinton Lodge later consolidated back into Western Star Lodge #2 on October 15, 1936. Next came Northern Light Lodge #190, Dispensation issued on May 14, 1868, Chartered on October 15, 1868, at Millville. Last was Redding Lodge #254, Dispensation issued on February 22, 1879, Chartered on October 16, 1879, Redding.- Retrieved from www.westernlodge.org on 12 June 2012.~

1857 August 13, San Francisco Bulletin - The Shasta Courier learns, from the assessment roll of that county, just completed, that the tax-list for the present years amounts to the sum of $1,994,018.25, being $136,000 greater than last year's assessment.

Of stock, there are in the county: 920 horses; 701 mules; 14 jackasses; 814 work cattle; 1,214 cows; 5,244 hogs; 75 sheep; 5,520 chickens.

No notice has been made of turkeys and geese.

Of improvements, there are:  16 sawmills, costing $20.000.; 4 quartz mills, costing $18,000.; 9 ferries; 5 toll bridges.

Amount of poll-tax paid in is $2,810.75; Hospital tax collected, $4,333.25.~

1858 January 23, Shasta Courier - County Officers for the year 1858:  District Judge:  William T. Daingerfield of Shasta; County Judge:  Joel T. Landrum; Associate Justices:  J.B. Steward & William Knowlton; County Treasurer:  James Hayburn; County Clerk:  H.I. Van Horn; Sheriff:  H. Clay Stockton; Under sheriff:  John Dent; County Assessor:  W. H. Angell; County Surveyor:  E. Linn; Public Administrator:  Benjamin Swasey; District Attorney:  James D. Mix; School Commissioner:  G.K. Godfrey; County Physician:  Dr. James E. Pelham; Board of Supervisors:  1st District - Samuel Payne; 2nd District - William B. Stoddard; 3rd District - D.C. Johnson; Township Officers:  Shasta Township, Justice of the Peace, H. A. Curtis, E.K. Shea; Constables, Robert O. DeWitt, R.R. Smee; Clear Creek Township:  Justices William Knowlton, James Eby; French Gulch Township:  Justice J.B. Stewart; Sierra Township:  Justice S.D. Baker; Pit River Township:  Justice J. M. Hunt

Shasta County Courts:  Held on the first Mondays of February, April, June, August, October and December. At said terms the business pertaining to the Court of Sessions shall first be disposed of and after that the business of the County Court and Probate Court in such order as the judge may determine.

Board of Supervisors meet the first Mondays in February, May, August, November.~

1860 June 9, San Joaquin Republican (Stockton, California) - The Shasta Courier says, in that county the fruit crop bids fair to be unusually abundant. The peach trees especially are heavily laden. The vines are also uninjured.~

1871, According to the Pacific Coast Business Directory for 1871-1873, the following areas were served by the  following post offices and usually an Express Service:

American Ranch - Elias Anderson, Postmaster

Adams Ferry, American Ranch, Foster's Ranch,  and Ludwig's Bridge.

Horsetown - William Goodall, Postmaster

Arbuckle, Bald Hills, Eagle Creek, Gas Point, Horsetown, Janesville, Piety Hill, Roaring River, Texas Springs, and Watson Gulch.

Shasta - L. Wellendorf, Postmaster

Bass Ranch, Bell's Bridge, Buckeye, Centerville, Churntown, Clear Creek near Bell's Bridge, Copper City,  Cottonwood (if not Tehama Co.), Dog Creek, Igo, Lower Springs, Magee's Store, Middletown, Oakland Ferry, Shasta, Shingletown,  and Whiskeytown.

Millville - John Wheatley, Postmaster

Caten's [Cayton], Fort Crook, Millville.

French Gulch - Thompson Plumb, Postmaster

French Gulch, Mountain House and Tower House

Portugull - William T. Smith, Postmaster

Hazel Creek, Portuguese Flat, Portugull, Slate Creek, and Soda Springs.

Stillwater - John S.P. Bass, Postmaster

Stillwater

And until Burgettville of northeastern Shasta County got it's post office, the place was served by Shasta.~

1872 June 28, Jackson Citizen Patriot - Laws of the United States Passed at the Second Session of the 42nd Congress:

From Red Bluff via Roaring River, Janesville, Igo, Piety Hill, Horsetown and Middletown to Shasta City

From Shasta City via Millville, Phillips Ranch, Round Mountain, Littrells Ranch, Vayton Valley, Burney Valley. Burney Falls, Pit river, Burgettville, Fall river Valley, Big Valley, Davidson's Ranch, Mayfields Mills, Whitfields Crossing, Ash Creek, Adin, McDevitts Mills, Townsends Ranch, Steel Bros Ranch, Hot Springs Valley, Butte Mountain, Dorrisburg, Franklins Store, Goose Lake and Fort Bidwell to Lake City~

1871, The Pacific Coast Business Directory of 1871-73 listed the following sawmills for Shasta County:

Battle Creek - Ball's- 1 saw- capacity 3000 feet per day - water power- cost $6000 - H. S. Ball, Occupant

Battle Creek - Klotz - 3 saws - capacity 6000 feet per day - water power - cost $12000. - Klotz & Company

Bear Creek - Carver's - 1 saw - capacity 1500 feet per day - water power - cost $2000 - W. S. Carver

Churn Creek - Myer's - 1 saw - capacity 2000 feet per day - water power - cost $3000 - George H. Myers

Clear Creek - Camden's - 1 saw - capacity 1500 feet per day - water power - cost $6000 - Charles Camden

Cow Creek - Winegar's - 1 saw - capacity 2000 feet per day - water power - cost $2000 - Carter & Company

French Gulch - Hunter's - 1 saw - capacity 1000 feet per day - water power - cost $1500 - Hunter &  Co.

Oak Run - Predmore's - 1 saw - capacity 3000 feet per day - water power - cost $4000. -  J. H. Predmore

Spring Creek - Spring Creek - 1 saw - capacity 3000 feet per day - water power - cost $7000 - Woodward & Company

Whiskytown - Crocker's - 1 saw - capacity 2000 feet per day - water power - cost $2500 - E. F. Crocker

Whiskytown - Fleming's - 1 saw - capacity 2500 feet per day - water power - cost $2500 - John Fleming~

1878 March 26, Territorial Enterprise (Virginia City, Nevada) -

The nomenclature of Shasta (Cal.) towns is not classical. A correspondent writes to a contemporary: "The beauty of one stream is expressed by the choice name of Dog Creek; another is Cow Creek, while one of the prettiest towns in the county rejoices in the exhilarating title of Whiskytown. Among the principle villages are also Bullskin City, Muletown, Hogtown and Sourkraut."~

1879 July 18, San Francisco Bulletin - The Shasta County Republicans have nominated the following ticket:  Superior Judge, A. Bell; Sheriff, William Jackson; County Clerk, F.C. Tiffin; County Treasurer, T.J. Webb; District Attorney, E.G. Anderson; Superintendent of Public Instruction, Mrs. D.M. Coleman; Coroner & Administrator, D.P. Bystle; Assessor, W.S. Kidder; County Surveyor, J.M. Graves.~

1880, The Shasta Courier of 17 July 1880, reported the statistics from the Annual Report of the Shasta County School Superintendent for the year ending 3 June 1880.

Number of children in the county between five and 17 years of age: 2,276. Number attending public schools: 1,840. Number of school districts in which school was maintained six months or more: 44. Number of new districts established: 3. Number of teachers employed: 47.~

1883, Schools receiving moneys from the Shasta County Superintendent of Schools, Mrs. D. M. Coleman, were:  Anderson, Antelope, Albion, Bald Hills, Bear Creek, Buckeye, Beaver Creek, Bunker Hill, Bates, Centerville, Clover Creek, Cottonwood, Cow Creek, Copper City, Cayton Valley, Clear Creek, Central, Cloverdale, Cove, Cedar Creek, Eagle Creek, Eureka, Excelsior, Fall River, Fall River Mills, French Gulch, Fort Crook, Flat Creek, Hatchet Creek, Island, Junction, Klotz, Kimball, Mill Creek, Millville, Mountain Grove, Mineral, Oak Knoll, Oak Run, Oak Grove, Pacheco, Parkville, Piety Hill, Pine Grove, Pit River, Phillips, Prairie, Redding, Round Mountain, Rockland, Sacramento River, Shasta, Sheldon, Sierra, Stillwater, Slate Creek, Smithson, and Whiskeytown.~

1888 March 1, San Francisco Bulletin, Redding, February 29 -

REDDING TO BE DECLARED THE CHOICE OF THE PEOPLE NEXT MONDAY -

The Supervisors will meet Monday next and declare Redding the county seat, according to the decision of the Supreme Court, unless restrained in some manner. Hatch, attorney for the obstructionists, went to Shasta last evening and returned to Red Bluff this morning. This action causes conjectures as to how much mischief is in store yet. Very few Shasta residents now object to the removal, and any more unwarranted delay will be severely criticized almost unanimously.~

1889, Per an article in the Shasta Courier 25 May 1889, "30 Years Ago" - "In 1859 there were only seven post offices in the territory than comprising Shasta county and following postmasters:  American Ranch, E. Anderson; Cottonwood, William Lean; French Gulch, W.G. Gibbs; Horsetown, J. R. Pile; Red Bluffs, J.R. Broadway; Shasta, Orin Fitch; Whiskey Creek, Ben Mix."

[I have to question the accuracy of this article as Tehama became a county in 1856, so Red Bluffs would be in that county in 1859.]~

1900-01, Statistics of California Production, Commerce and Finances for the years 1900-01 with brief sketches of the origin and development of Mining, Ag & Horticulture in the state, published by M.M. Barnet & J. O'Leary:

Many new copper locations have been or are being devolped by Boston people in Shasta county.

Shasta, with its large copper yield stands at the head of the list for the state.~

1902 March 17Evening Tribune  (San Diego, California) - Redding, Cal. March 17 - The Northern California Power Company has been formed with a capital stock of $2,000,000 to absorb the Keswick Electric Power Company of this city, the Redding Power Company, the Redding Electric Light and Power Company and the Tehama County Electric and Light Company of Red Bluff. The plant of the last named corporation was recently nearly ruined by fire but the lines of wire are all in good shape. H. H. Noble will be the president of the greater company.

Mr. Noble announces that the new company will soon have wires down the Sacramento Valley as far as Willows, Glenn County, and will later reach further down the valley for business.

The company will increase the present plant of the Keswick Power Company on Mill Seat Creek in this county. There is at present machinery at the plant for the creation of 3,000 horse power with available water rights for the creation of 12,000. A line of wire is now being run from here to Red Bluff, which is already connected with Corning by the wires of the burned out power company, so the absorbing company corporation will soon be able to light the people of the Maywood Colony and then the lines will be run to Orland, Glenn County and later to Willows, the County Seat.~

1903 July 2, The Free Press, Redding - The following named teachers will be appointed Monday to teach in the Keswick and other schools:

Keswick:  Beverley Wood, Principal; Miss Ora Coombs, Miss Lena Stevens and Miss M. Taylor

Bass:  Miss Clara Ledgerwood

French Gulch:  Miss Margaret Strouse

Cottonwood:  H.H. Shuffleton, Jr., Principal; Miss Loraine Heath

Centerville:  Sadie B. Honn

Igo:  Mrs. Lottie E. Cunningham~

1907 February 5San Jose Mercury News - Kennett, Feb. 4 - For some unaccountable reason the transformer which is located on the line of the Northern California Power Company burned out and caused the main wire carrying 20,000 volts to melt by the intense heat. The arm of the transformer was melted off and the pole caught fire. When the wires fell to the ground the ends were a few feet apart, but the intense current caused an arc of several feet to form, which was intensely brilliant, and appeared similar to sudden successive flashes of lightning.~

1907 February 10, San Jose Mercury News, Redding Feb 9 - The Northern California Power Company, which furnishes gas and electric lights as well as water to the residents of Redding, has been charging what it pleased for lights and gas though the rates for water are fixed annually by city ordinances.

A petition is in circulation this week asking the City Trustees to enact an ordinance establishing rates for gas and light as many patrons believe the rates established by the company are not equitable. The Trustees will take some action next week.~

1907 November 26, San Francisco Call - Redding, Nov 25 - PIONEER DIES, AGED 94 - Frederick Rochon, a pioneer of Shasta county, died today at a great age. He was 94 years old. In 1881, in Spring creek he discovered the largest nugget of gold ever found in the county. It was worth $3,300.~

1911 December 30, Only two out of thirteen applicants passed the teachers' examination concluded a week earlier. The successful were Irene Bidwell of Hat Creek and Bessie Forschler of Igo. - from Record Searchlight, Today in History, 30 Dec 2011~

1913 July 29, Daily People's Cause, Red Bluff - (Reprinted by Red Bluff Daily News on 27 Aug 2010)Redding, July 28 - Nine Prisoners set at work breaking rock in court house yard -Sheriff Montgomery today re-established the chain gang, placing Charles H. Behrens in charge.

The county jail has become too popular of late. Fourteen prisoners are housed there, and this is too large a number, in Sheriff Montgomery's opinion, to be maintained by the county in idleness. Only nine of the fourteen are subject to chain gang duty. The nine were set at work this morning breaking rock in the court house yard. Six hours makes a day's work.~

1914, Thumbing through a map book I have, I came across a population list for California in 1914. Satisfying a need to make another list, I broke out Shasta County towns and then chose the top 15, which really came to 17 because there were two ties.

Shasta County overall showed a population of 12,133 in 1890; 17,318 in 1900; and, 18,920 in 1910.

Now for the most populated towns in Shasta County, 1914, which might surprise you:

1 - Redding

2 - Kennett

3 - Anderson

4 - Cottonwood

5 - Winthrop

6 - Coram

7 - French Gulch

8 - Shasta

9 - Castella & Mammoth

10 - Fall River Mills

11 - Knob

12 - Ono

13 - McArthur

14 - Millville

15 - Buckeye & Olinda~

1915, Mines and Mineral Resources - The Sacramento River Valley bottom, below the mountains, contains extensive clay banks, and on the higher table lands debris accumulation has in places formed clay deposits.

Alata Lime and Brick Company, formerly known as Coleman & Hill, owns the clay bank in Block 29, Redding [Reading] Grant, about 1 1/4 miles south of Redding, in the Sacramento River bottom. The clay is 6 feet thick, the upper 4 feet being plastic, which grades into and rests upon a bed of sand, underlaid in turn by gravel; color is tawny. In former years a great many bricks of good quality were burned in this yard.

Holt & Gregg of Redding own a clay deposit in Sec. 17, T 30 N., R. 4 W., in the town of Anderson. The holdings consist of 200 acres, patented. Another deposit owned by this firm is 2 miles north of Anderson near the railroad. This clay bed is 15 feet thick and worked by means of open cuts. Equipment for making bricks consists of grinding mill, brick kiln of a capacity of 40,000 bricks in seven hours, cars, etc. The stack is 120 feet high, with 12 feet diameter at base and 8 feet at the top. Cost about $4.50 per thousand to manufacture the brick, which are used for buildings in Redding and other towns in the Sacramento Valley. Fifteen men employed at present. Plant operated upon demand.

This firm also owns a good deposit of fire clay in Sec 34, T. 34 N., R. 5 W. Used in lime kilns for lining.

R. L. Reading owns an extensive clay deposit in the Reading Homestead, east of Cottonwood. This deposit, on the Sacramento River, is 1 mile long and 1/4 of a mile wide. The clay is 30 feet thick, capped by 15 feet of gravel. It has not been developed.

Southern Pacific Railway Company owns a clay bed in Sec. 19, T. 32 N., R. 4 W. This deposit covers about 40 acres, and is topped with gravel. It is undeveloped.

Redding Brick and Tile Company owns 40 acres, patented, in Sec. 19, T. 31 N., R. 5 W., 3 miles southwest of Redding. Small kiln at Redding. Idle. Operated upon demand.~

1925 January, Redding Record Searchlight -Eleven applications for citizenship were filed in Shasta County in 1899:  From England:  Henry Mitchell, Alfred Trevillyan, William A. Temple, David S. Leslie and Lyn Coleman; From Italy:  Thomas Cleone; From Austria:  Louis Gander; From Russia:  Charles J. Stulander and Fritz Oding; From Germany:  Casper Heinlein and Charles H. Jens~

1930, Anderson Valley News, 25 December, 1930 - Teachers in Shasta Elementary Schools are given Certificates -

With all members of the board of education present the following teacher's certificates in the elementary schools were granted last Saturday:  Mrs. Ethel Myers, Mrs. Augusta Stevenson, Mrs. Gladys Leal, Misses Lorena Thatcher, Stacy Spoon, Doris Lewis, Grace Jack, Flora Hall, Margaret Flannagan, Cecil Cook, Evelyn Voge, Hilda Jessen, Mildred Haynes, Nelda Brown, Mrs. Mildred Haaley, Mrs. Nelita Hunt, Mrs. Ethel Shoup, and Mrs. Clara Gill, high school.

There were no applicants for the examination on the constitution.

The members of the board of education are:  Miss Myra E. Giles of Anderson, W.L. Gay, Palo Cedro, Mrs. Sydnie Jones, Igo, J.P. Gallagher, Castella and Miss Bertha Merrill, Redding.~

1946, Myra Giles Scrapbook - R. H. Cross, Berkeley Historian, discussed early Inns of California and obtained additional information on several in Shasta County. He stated the five leading Inns for Shasta County early on were:  Bell's Mansion, Tower House, Empire Hotel, Charter Oak Hotel and the Dominion.~

1953 September 7, Sacramento Bee - Redding, Shasta Co. - RETIRING SHASTA DEPUTY ASSESSOR IS HONORED FOR 46 YEARS OF SERVICE - More than 40 fellow workers and friends honored Della Kidder as she prepared to end 46 years of service to Shasta County.

The observance was conducted in the superior courtroom Friday, her final day as Chief Deputy in the office of County Assessor Thomas Thatcher. She officially will end her connection with the county tomorrow.

Superior Judge Albert F. Ross acted as master of ceremonies for the event recorded by court reporter J. Irving Wiseman as part of the official court transcript.

Ross presented a wristwatch to Miss Kidder on behalf of courthouse employees.~

Article originally appeared on History & Happenings (http://HistoryandHappenings.squarespace.com/).
See website for complete article licensing information.