1901 August 2, U.S. Post Office established at Boralma, Shasta County, California. Located 7 miles west of Kennett.
Andrew P. Anderson was the first postmaster.
1902, Boralma was a voting precinct.
1902 March 8, William D. Watson, Postmaster.
1903 April 10, Lulu Dwyer, Postmaster.
1906 October 31, Post Office discontinued and service moved to Kennett.~
1893 January 17, U.S. Post Office established at Brewster, Shasta County, Califronia. Located 8 miles south of Dunsmuir the name was for William H. Brewster who made geological surveys of the area in the 1860's.
Alexander Levy was the first postmaster.
1895 May 24, Brewster Post Office discontinued and service moved to Castella.~
1879 December 29, U.S. Post Office at Brincard, Shasta County, California established 6 miles SW of Redding. Arthur Brincard was the first postmaster.
1880 March 19, Adolph Minville, Postmaster.
1880 March 22, San Francisco Bulletin, Pacific Coast Postal Changes - Washington, Mar 21 - Postmasters Appointed: Adolph Minville, Brincard, Shasta county...
1881 June 17, U.S. Post Office discontinued and service moved to Igo.~
AKA: Ohio City
1857 April 3, Sacramento Daily Union, ". . .The dry diggings in the vicinity of Buckeye are now paying well. Buckeye is located on the left side of the Sacramento River, and some eight miles to the eastward of Shasta. and is a small town consisting of three stores, one hotel, one meat market, and one shoemaker shop. . ."
1880 February 12, U.S. Post Office established at Buckeye, Shasta County, California. Located five miles north of Redding the name stems from the large number of miners from Ohio, the "Buckeye State." Sometimes referred to as Ohio City. George W. Burtt first postmaster.~
1880 February 12, George W. Burtt, U.S. Postmaster~
1880 February 16, San Francisco Bulletin, Pacific Coast Postal Changes, Washington, February 15th- Offices established - Buckeye, Shasta County, George W. Burtt, Postmaster...
1881 December 22, James P. Beard, U.S. Postmaster; also 16 January 1882, and 12 August 1903.~
1902 19 December, William Mason, U.S. Postmaster.~
1902 December 20, San Francisco Call, Fourth Class Postmasters appointed - California - William Mason, Buckeye, Shasta County, vice James T. Beard, resigned.
1907 October 23, William R. Marshall, U.S. Postmaster.~
1908 April 6, Annie Landes, U.S. Postmaster.
1908 April 7, San Francisco Chronicle, April 6 - Annie Landes was to-day appointed postmaster at Buckeye, Shasta county, vice W.R. Marshall resigned.~
1913 February 13, Lora Bales, U.S. Postmaster.~
1918 January 31, Buckeye U.S. Post Office closed and service moved to Keswick, Shasta County, California.~
1938 June 20, Mrs. Betty F. Shelby, U.S. Postmaster.~
1938 July 30, U.S. Post Office at Buckeye re-established with Mrs. Betty F. Shelby as the first postmaster.~
1942 August 30, Mrs. Norma J. Wagner, U.S. Postmaster.~
1943 April 5, Buckeye U.S. Post Office discontinued and service moved to Redding, Shasta County, California.
1963 April 16, established as contract rural stastion of Reddsing. This arrangement was discontinued on 31 December 1965.
1891 April 25, U.S. Post Office establsihed for Burgess, Shasta County, California. Named after a pioneer settler along Cape Horn Creek 8 miles north of Montgomery Creek, this was a 4th Class Post Office.
Miss Helen English was the first postmaster.
1892 May 2, Mrs. Helen E. Hall, Postmaster.
1892 June 22, Silvetus C. English, Postmaster.
1903 August 15, U.S. Post Office discontinued and service moved to Wengler.~
1865, "In the spring of 1865 Bill Burgett from Silver City arrived at the small village with his Indian wife and two children. The town was named for Burgett, who bought out Bowles, operator of the first blacksmith shop in the valley. He built a bridge across Fall River at Burgettville."
The first hotel was built about 1868 by James Estep, Sr.
James Estep, Jr., Redding, was born in Burgettville and served as Superior Court Judge of Shasta County for many years. -Fall River Tidings Newspaper, Fiftieth Anniversary Edition, 1893-1943, published in 1944~
Burgettville, Shasta, California, was located six miles northwest of Fall River Mills (name change from Fall City) in the Fall River Valley. At one time the first town in the Fall River Valley had a church, school, and Masonic Lodge along with other business establishments.~
1869 March 11, William Burgett married Elizabeth "Lizzie" Selvester. Lizzie died in 1873.~
1871 April 13, The Post Office was in Burgettville from April 1871 to December 1876; re-established January 1877, then discontinued January 1888, when it was taken over by a new town called Swasey.
1871 April 13, John E. Mooers, first postmaster.
Burgettville was named for William "Bill" Burgett. A story is told that Burgett found it was illegal to sell liquor within a mile of a military reservation, so he paced off the exact distance of 2 miles south of the Fort Crook boundary to establish his store and blacksmith shop. William Burgett's first wife was an Indian woman and the couple had two children. Mrs. Burgett died in 1869 and later William married one of Josh Selvester's daughters. Burgett had sold most of his land to Selvester in 1869, but he kept his store. Burgett was noted for being a reasonable and responsible negotiator when it came to resolving White-Indian problems that occurred in the locale during ithe 1870's.
Even though William Burgett's namesake town is in existance, you'll find him as a resident of Fort Crook on the 1877 Great Register.~
1873 April 27, William Burgett married Mary Jane Countwright.
1876 April 3, Sacramento Daily Union - Postal Changes on the Pacific Coast - Washington April 2d - Postmasters Appointed: Joshua Selvester, Burgettville, Shasta county, California.
1877 January 2, Joshua Selvester, Postmaster.
1877 April 30, George Mitchell Rock, Postmaster.
1877, The list of residents in the Great Register for the County of Shasta, 1877, read as follows: 35, Joshua T. ANGLIN, Pennsylvania, Farmer 149, Francis BROWN, New York, Farmer 151, Casper BOSWELL, Illinois, Farmer 160, Jacob, BARD, Pennsylvania, Physician 185 Knowlton BARRETT, USA, Laborer 208, Wallace Clinton BARRETT, Michigan, Farmer 209, Joseph BODLY, Ohio, Farmer 319, Morgan CLARK, Ohio, Farmer 347, John Sharrah CRAIG, USA, Farmer 533, Granville EDES [EADES], Kentucky, Farmer 535, Peter EILER, Virginia, Clerk 536, William Joshua EVERETT, Tennessee, Blacksmith 594, Thomas Jefferson FRAZIER, Ohio, Farmer 679, James GREENLEE, Illinois, Farmer 679, John Frederick. GROS, USA, Farmer 682, Samuel GORDON, USA, Farmer 798, Absalom Benton HARDEN, Kentucky, Physician 799, Sears HAZEN, Pennsylvania, Farmer 816, Chancey Augustus HORR, USA, Mail Carrier 817, William Henry HINES, USA, Blacksmith 949, Alvin KETCHUM, New York, Farmer 1018, Alfred LYCAN, Illinois, Farmer 1159, James Joseph MOSS, USA, Farmer 1165, Nelson MILLER, Michigan, Farmer 1166, James H. MOORE, Kentucky, Farmer 1167, John Edward MOOERS, Maine, Miner 1171, William [Willard] Crockett McFADDEN, Maine, Laborer 1257, Silas Prior NICHOLSON, Ohio, Stable Keeper 1259, Sterling Harry NEWELL, USA, Cook 1350, Lyman Hall POWELL, New York, Farmer 1443, Carydon RYAN, Pennsylvania, Carpenter 1588, Edwin R. SAMPSON, Indiana, Farmer 1589, John SARGENT, Virginia, Farmer 1590, Samuel SARGENT, Illinois, Farmer 1592, Thomas Harrison STORY, England, Hotel Keeper (6th Sec Reg Act) 1604, Jasper STANLEY, Iowa, Farmer 1611, Harber STANLEY, Iowa, Farmer 1631, John Brady STEWART, Pennsylvania, Farmer 1715, George THOMPSON, Ireland, Farmer (Naturalization through father) 1716, Simeon T. THORNTON, Indiana, Farmer 1717, James W. THORNTON, Missouri, Farmer 1718, Edward Robert TAYLOR, USA, Miner 1760, Jacob VAN SCOYCK, Ohio, Laborer 1867, Ebenezer Lansing WARNER, Pennsylvania, Carpenter 1872, Joseph WILLIAMS, Arkansas, Laborer.~
1878 June 13, J. H. Wiseheart, Postmaster.
1878 July 18, John E. Mooers, Postmaster.
1883 February 24, Shasta Courier- The Masonic Hall at Burgettville is approaching completion and the structure will be a credit to the town.~
1883 April 7, Shasta Courier- Odd Fellows are flourishing and Masons almost ready to organize in their new hall at Burgettville which is tastefully finished.~
1886 December 14, William C. Selvester, Postmaster.
1887 January 18, Florence A. Mooers, Postmaster.
1887 July 30, Shasta Republican - BURGETTVILLE is a thriving little town situated on Fall River[stream], in the midst of the fertile portion of the valley, is six miles northwest of Fall River [Mills]. The new wagon road to Sisson [Mt. Shasta City] will start from this place, and is bound to make it boom. The town has a fine church, schoolhouse, town hall, and a flourishing lodge of Masons.~
1887 August 19, Alexander O. Mooers, Postmaster.
1888 January 17, Now Swasey, Shasta, California Post Office. Named by H. M. Swasey, who built a mill at the site located 6 miles northwest of Fall River Mills.
John R. Crichton, First postmaster.
1888 January 17, Menander O. Mooers, Postmaster.
1889 October 28, Amos W. Gordon, Postmaster.
1892 March 5, P O discontinued. Name changed to Glenburn.
1892 September 17, Free Press (Redding, California) - Florin Bros. have commenced operations on the new bridge at Burgettville with a full force of men and expect to have it completed before October 1st. With their 1000-pound hammer used for driving piles, and other necessary machinery, they will undoubtedly do a good job of work.~
Burney Valley was named by R. M. Johnson for Samuel Burney who came to the area in 1848.
1859 April 6, Red Bluff Beacon - A WHITE MAN AND INDIAN BOY MURDERED - Louis Yank and R. Johnson returned last week from Pit River Valley, where they have been "snowed in" during the winter. On their way down they passed the place lately located by Mr. Predmore for a ranch, about eighteen miles west of Fort Crook. Here they found the dead bodies of a man named Burney and an Indian boy, who had been left in charge of the place. The body of B. was found a short distance from the house covered with rocks. The boy was about three hundred yards from the place. His throat was cut. Appearances indicated that the boy had been compelled to pack the provisions amounting to several hundred pounds and other effects, to that distance, and that he was then cruelly butchered. An unfinished leter, written by Burney was found, dated the 11th of March, from which it appears the last act of his existence was writing the words: "There are three Indians in camp at this time," at which instant, from appearances, he was struck on the back of the head with a hatchet. - Shasta Republican~
1872 December 6, Burney Valley Post Office was established 6 December, 1872, with Henry N. Murphy as postmaster. On 17 December 1894, Burney Valley Post Office became Burney (Valley was dropped) for the village that had grown up along Burney Creek at the foot of Burney Mountain.
1875 August 25, George R. Carman, Postmaster.
1875 December 3, Asa White, Postmaster.
1876 March 14, Robert Crews, Postmaster.
1877, Per the Great Register for the County of Shasta, California, 1877: 162, Elias Edward BROWN, Illinois, Farmer; 165, Harvey Edward BAKER, Iowa, Farmer; 173, Benjamin Taft BIBBENS, USA, Farmer; 217, William Wesley BROWN, Oregon, Farmer; 313, Henry COOK, Iowa, Miner; 797, William Luther HOWE, Wisconsin, Farmer; 803, Godfrey HOFFMASTER, Germany, Butcher (Alleghaney, Pennsylvania); 812, John HATHAWAY, USA, Laborer; 820, Thomas Kirkland HAYS, Pennsylvania, Carpenter & Stockraiser; 842, James Armstead HULSEY, Arkansas, Stockraiser; 843, Walter Scott HAYS, California, Stockraiser; 896, William Alexander JONES, Canada, Farmer (born Canada of American parents); 953, John David KIRK, USA, Farmer; 972, Johan Frederick KNOCH, Germany, Farmer (Shasta Co.) - jf; 1163, William Monroe MOORE, Missouri, Farmer; 1177, Diedrich MURCKEN, Germany, farmer (Plumas Co., California) - jf; 1256, John NICHOLS, Illinois, Farmer; 1342, Daniel Hall PITNEY, New Jersey, Farmer; 1459, Frank David Ray, New York, Farmer; 1866, Luther WILLIAMHOWE, [Luther William HOWE] Wisconsin, Farmer; 1902, Asa WHITE, Kentucky, Farmer.~
1880 February 24, Mary J. Johnson, Postmaster.
1880 March 1, San Francisco Bulletin, Pacific Coast Postal Changes, Washington, February 29th- Postmasters appointed: Mrs. Mary J. Johnson, Bureny Valley, Shasta county...
1882 January 13, Timothy Desmond, Postmaster.
1882 January 16, San Francisco Bulletin - Pacific Coast Postal Changes - Postmasters Appointed: Timothy Desmond, Burney Valley, Shasta county, Cal.~
1884 November 13, Charles A. Teel, Postmaster.
1887 July 30, Shasta Republican - BURNEY VALLEY is twenty miles south of Fall River Valley, and is next in importance in size. The valley is well watered by a number of streams, the largest being Burney Creek, and is settled by an enterprising and industrious class of people. The town is also known as Burney Valley, and has two well-stocked general merchandise stores, one hotel and a blacksmith shop. The road passing through the valley is traveled by the stage and all freight teams hauling from the railroad to points north.~
1887 September 10, Shasta Courier - Items From All Sources - Charles A. Teel of Burney Valley has gone into the real estate business. He learned how to work that sort of business in Los Angeles.
Billy and Chris Bidwell of Burney Valley haved traded their store to Ben Bainbridge for his ranch and have gone into the stock raising business.
While Mrs. T.B. Smith, Mrs. William E. Hopping and Mrs. Johnson of Shasta were driving a buggy down the steep hill into Burney Valley a few days ago, one of the horses became fractious and an upset resulted. All three of the ladies were considerably bruised but are in luck that more serious consequences did not ensue.~
1887 September 22, Eugene Blackborn Bainbridge (1849-1922), Postmaster.
1887 October 29, Shasta Courier, E. B. Bainbridge is the new postmaster at Burney Valley.
1888 July 21, Republican Free Press, J.A. Brown and E.B. Bainbridge have bought R. Crew's Store.
1889 September 1, Albert W. Gale, Postmaster.
1889 October 12, Republican Free Press - The Odd Fellows of Burney Valley will meet tonight at the Burney Valley Hotel for the purpose of taking action to form a lodge and build a hall.~
1890 January 11, Charles Gracie (Tracie?), Postmaster.
1892 October 22, Free Press (Redding, California) - The postoffices at Burney Valley and Round Mountain have been made money-order offices.
1894 December 17, Mrs. Eva Vaughn, Postmaster.
1895 September 5, Olsa T. Fitzpatrick, Postmaster.
1898 February 28, George M.D. Hobson, Postmaster.
1899 June 14, Evening News - Redding, June 14 - News comes by stage that the Burney Valley Hotel on the Bieber stage line has been burned. It was a large, two-story building under lease to Timothy Desmond. It is not known whether it was insured or not. The loss is estimated at between $3000 and $5000.~
1899 June 17, Shasta Courier - The Burney Valley Hotel conducted by Tim Desmond at Burney was burned to the ground about 10:00 Monday morning. The fire was caused by a deflective flue. Nothing was saved from the flames. The hotel was a good-sized two-story building.~
1899 October 19, Searchlight (Redding, CA) - Charles Wagner, the farmer, bridgebuilder and general rustler, will return to his home in Burney Valley this morning, after a visit of several days here [Redding].~
1899 November 1, Searchlight (Redding, CA) - Frank Cornaz, the merchant of Burney Valley and one of the tallest men in the county, left for his home Tuesday after a visit here [Redding].~
1900 May 2, Albert W. Gale, Postmaster.
1907 December 26, George J. Grinnell, Postmaster.
1908 September 26, Phoebe. W. Smyth, Postmaster.
1908 November 12, San Jose Mercury News, Redding, Nov. 11 - Julius Francis Cornaz [1831-1908], the third white man to settle in Burney Valley, in the eastern part of the county, died Tuesday in the home where he had lived almost half a century. The pioneer was buried at Burney on Thursday. Mr. Cornaz was born in Switzerland in 1831. He came to America in 1851 and arrived in Burney Valley in 1868, coming by the ox team route from Portland, Oregon.~
1910 February 18, Samuel Brewster, Postmaster.
1915 February 12, Dennis M. Desmond, Postmaster.
1918 August 7, Robert T. Desmond, Postmaster.
1921 May 19, George W. Levens, Postmaster.
1922 November 18, Robert A. Peters, Postmaster.
1923 March 28, Redding Searchlight - Fred Haynes left this city Tuesday morning for his home in Burney in a fine new automobile he purchased here.~
1926 December 21, Samuel Brewster, Postmaster.
1928 August 9, Samuel Brewster, Postmaster.
1933 December 30, Ralph Brewster, Postmaster.
1934 February 1, Salve Bue, Postmaster.
1955 January 4, Sacramento Bee - NEW RAIL SECTION WILL GIVE BURNEY MAIN LINE LINKUP - Burney, Shasta Co. - Completion of a 32 mile extension of the McCloud River Railroad next summer will link the Burney Basin with all points in the United States via three major railroads.
The completion date is scheduled for July 3rd with the driving of a golden spike in Burney. The line will hook up with the Southern Pacific trackage at mount Shasta, Siskiyou County, and the Western Pacific and Great Northern Railroads at Hambone, Siskiyou County.
The first passenger train to be run from Burney will bring persons from as far north as Seattle and Portland and south to Los Angeles and San Diego. The Burney Recreation Commission, the Burney Chamber of Commerce, the McCloud Recreation Commission, the Dunsmuir Chamber of Commerce, and the Central Coast Railway Club of San Jose will unite in conducting the ceremonies.
The Central Coast Railway Club is arranging a special train to run from the bay area to Burney to carry several hundred railroad enthusiasts.
The new railroad is reported to be the first built in Northern California in the last 24 years by private capital.
Recently the McCloud Lumber Company purchased 1,500,000,000 board feet of timber in the Burney Basin from the Fruit Growers Supply Company and the stand is expected to last for 50 years. The new rail line has been built to haul cut logs from this stand to the mill in the town of McCloud, as well as products from mills in the Burney area. Construction costs are expected to be paid for by the revenue originating on the extension during the next 30 years.~
1956 April 30, Mrs. Irma K. Brann, Postmaster.
1957 April 29, Alfred E. Rider, Postmaster.
1966 November 1, Ronald G. Telford, Postmaster.
1976 November 20, Shasta Historical Society Pioneer Plaque Program, Redding, California, Guest Book for History of Richard Wilkinson Haynes Program: Johanna C. Giessner (Daughter), Burney, CA; Alice B. Gammell, Burney, CA; Cathe Harris, Santa Cruz, CA; Howard & Carrie Marx, Anderson, CA; Collin & Emmalee Haynes, Hayward, CA; Doris Coates Hicks, Los Molinos, CA; Leon Cathern, Old Station, CA; N.W. Haynes, Anderson, CA; Marian & Mary Greenhalgh, Anderson, CA; Pat Bosworth, Cottonwood, CA; Elener Haynes, Redding, CA; Eva Ruth Haynes Giessner (Daughter), Cassel, CA; Claud Fullerton, Redding, CA; Luann Bosworth, Cottonwood, CA; Rebecca Bosworth, Chico, CA; Louise Guthrie, Pittville, CA; Babe Hillman, McArthur, CA; Sarah Haynes Miller, Ukiah, CA; Clarence Coates & Family, Redding, CA; Mr. & Mrs. Clay Coates, Red Bluff, CA; Floyd & Maxine Summers, Fall River Mills, CA; Opal L.?, Fall River Mills, CA; Marjorie Bidwell Earnest, McArthur, CA; Clifford & Elizabeth Coates, Red Bluff, CA; Virginia, Tamara, Tracie & Teri DeAtley, Hat Creek, CA; C.E. & Lois Startt, Cassel, CA; Beulah L. Martin, Burney, CA; Charlotte D. Grant, Burney, CA; Merrill Grant, Concord, CA; Rudolph & Checkers Giessner, Cassel, CA; Jan L Reuther, Redding, CA; Dale & Pauline & Tina Goza, Burney, CA; Zoe Hawkins, McArthyr, CA; Bob & Jordi Grant, Concord, CA; Frances Hollenbeak, McArthur, CA; Willis & Mary Albaugh, McArthur, CA; Frances Gassaway, Fall River Mills, CA; Esther Fitzwater, Fall River Mills, CA; Helen Cruickshank, Glenburn, CA; Robert Bosworth, Cottonwood, CA; Percy Creighton, Fall River Mills, CA; Laurie Laughlin, Cassel, CA; Roberta, Kenneth & Elmer Laughlin, Cassel, CA; Elsie Morgan, Anderson, CA; Noel & Lila Knoch, Fall River Mills, CA; Maple James Perkins, Pittville, CA; Lisa Miller, Ukiah, CA; Marshall Grant, Concord, CA; Lillian J. Kent, Fall River Mills, CA; Bruce & Donna Bosworth, Red Bluff, CA; Emily Haynes, Hayward, CA; Bill & Ruth Giessner, Belmont, CA; Bessie Bosworth (Daughter), Red Bluff, CA.~
1884 November 1, Shasta Courier -Fred Knoch and Herman Smith, both residents of Hat Creek, Shasta County, situated about 80 miles north of Red Bluff, came down Saturday bringing with them about 2,600 pounds of butter which they will dispose of in this market. Mr. Knoch informs us that the amount has all been made on his dairy since May 1, including also a small amount he has disposed of to transient customers. He generally visits Red Bluff every fall, bringing down his dairy products, and laying in his stock of goods for the year. He has about 40 cows.~
1885 July 14 -A 4th class post office was established as Carbon, Shasta, California. Moved 1 mile east on 25 May 1910. On 30 November 1923 the P O was discontinued and the mail moved to Cassel. The name came from the color of the soil and at one time, Carbon was a toll road station. Located 9 miles SW of Fall River Mills and 10 miles NE of Burney Valley. Family story says the post office was torn down in 1942.
Diederich Murcken, [brother-in-law to Johann Frederick "Fred" Knoch], was the first postmaster. [Murcken and Knoch located farming here from their mining activities in Plumas County.]~
1886 September 28, San Francisco Chronicle - Nominations Made By Shasta County Republicans - The Republican County Convention met here yesterday and nominated the following ticket: Sheriff, W.E. Hopping; Clerk, A.F. Ross; Assessor, Richard Murcken; . . .~
1887 January 22, Shasta Courier- Mr. Knoch has been appointed custodian of the State Fish Hatchery on Hat Creek until the next run of salmon. Knoch is a partner of Dick Murcken in the ranch business.~
1889 November 9, Republican Free Press [Redding, CA] - D. Murcken of Carbon was here this week for winter supplies.~
1894 April 7, Shasta Courier - D. Murcken of Carbon, who disappeared mysteriously sometime ago, has been located in Bangor, Butte County.~
1894 October 25, Saloma Simpson, Postmaster.
1894 November 17, Shasta Courier - It is conceded that John W. Brown got a big bargain when he purchased the Knoch and Murcken Ranch at State Fish Hatchery on Hat Creek for $5,000. The land sold is 1,040 acres, considerable of which is under cultivation and on whch are good buildings and water for irrigation is plentiful.~
1895 June 22, John H. Brown, Postmaster.
1899-1900 - Located in 1873 on Hat Creek, a tributary of Pit River, in Burney Valley township, Shasta County, ten miles northeast of Burney and seventy miles northeast of Redding, the county seat, nearest banking and shipping point. Ships farm produce. A sawmill is operated by power derived from the creek. Mail every other day.
Braden, L., Blacksmith; Brown, C.E. Sawmill; Brown, J.W., Postmaster; Latham, A.B., Teacher; Manley, L.R., Watchmaker & Painter; Tyrrell, A.E. , Engineer; Tyrrell, D.G., Engineer.~
1901 February 11, John Wesley Brown registered a livestock brand from Carbon, Shasta County, California.
1902 January 16, Lincoln Braden registered a livestock brand from Carbon, Shasta County, California.
1902 August 8, Andrew Franklin Ray registered his livestock brand from Carbon, Shasta County, California.
1905 October 6, Frank. H. Martin, Postmaster.
1909 June 21, Maud E. Guill, Postmaster.
1910 May 25, Nora B. Smith, Postmaster.
1910 May 26, San Francisco Chronicle - New Coast Postmasters, Washington, May 25 - California postmasters appointed: Carbon, Shasta county, Nora B. Smith, vice M.E. Guill resigned.~
1913 October 3, Nora B. Smith, Postmaster.
1915 May 26, Philip Sheridan Dungan registered a livestock brand from Carbon, Shasta County, California.
1915 August 28, Searchlight (Redding, California) - J.H. Smith, a farmer living near Carbon, at the junction of Hat Creek and Pit River, was in this city Friday. He comes to the county "seat" oinly twice a year, and considering the present state of the roads, he may not be back for a full year.~
1915 November 9, Verne H. Bassett registered his livestock brand from Carbon, Shasta County, Callifornia.
1916 March 28, Gilbert Worley registered his livestock brand from Carbon, Shasta County, California.
1916 June 15, Robert Scofield registered his livestock brand from Carbon, Shasta County, California.
1918 May 17, Lewis C. Snell registered his livestock brand from Carbon, Shasta County, California.
1919 October 27, Beth M. Joerger, Postmaster.
1923 July 7, Louis P. Joerger, Postmaster.
1923 November 7 - Searchlight of Redding, California - GOOD-BYE CARBON - Washington, November 6 - The post office at Carbon, Shasta county, will be permanently closed November 30. Mail and money order records will be sent to Cassel.~
Murken Bench and Murken Lake
Our family spelling is: M U R C K E N.
Mapped as a relief feature in Shasta County, California, 6.25 miles southwest of Coble Mountain is Murcken Bench. There is an intermittent lake 6 miles west-southwest of of Coble Mountain and at the northwest end of Murcken Bench called Murcken Lake.
The "Bench" and "Lake" were named for Richard Diederick Murcken (1835 - 1897) who was born in Germany and arrived in New York in June 1855. He was a storekeeper in New York for five years and then moved west to Saint Louis, Missouri. Later, he continued on to Plumas County, California and mined gold until 1872 when he moved to Carbon, Shasta, California and engaged in farming. On 14 July 1885 he was appointed the first postmaster of Carbon. From Carbon he moved to Oroville in Butte County, California and then returned to Fall River Mills, Shasta, California to be near his sister, Helena Murcken Knoch again. He died 15 December 1897 and was laid to rest in the "new" IOOF Cemetery. Murcken was a charter member of IOOF Fall River Lodge #304 and served in many chairs including Grand. R.D. Murcken never married.~
1878, H.H. Baker served on the jury for the trial of R. Crews killing E.G. Littrell in June 1878.~
1879 April 24, Redding Independent - Burney Valley Items - Baker's Toll Road is said to be the best by those who travel it.~
1880 January Shasta Courier - Advertisement- Baker's Toll road is a favorite Highway. It commences near Fitzpatrick's in Burney Valley, runs to Baker's Mill on Hat Creek [in Cassel], 13 1/2 miles there to Fall City over a graded gradual grade. This road is more free from steep grades than any other road to Fall river. Feed and pasturing good on the route. Is for sale by the Proprietor. Toll same as other roads. Signed: H.H. Baker.~
1880 February 7, Shasta Courier - Baker of Hat Creek and Grand Chief Jenkins of Buzzard Roosters were before the Supervisors this week on road business.~
1880 September 25, Shasta Courier - H.H. Baker, proprietor of Baker's Toll Road between Burney Valley and Fall City, called on us Monday. He reports nothing new up that way.~
1881 November 19, Shasta Courier - Brevities - Henry Baker of Hat Creek has taken unto himself a wife and proposes to enjoy life as times passes. [ Henry Baker and Elizabeth Hagerman were married 7 November 1881 in Shasta County, California.]
1882 May 9, Supervisor's Meeting - Baker Toll Road: Ordered that the report of H.H. Baker, owner of the above named toll road, be accepted and filed and that he be allowed to move his toll gate one-half mile east to the creek known as Rock Creek near his new residence recently erected.~
1882 June 5, Harvey Baker registered his livestock brand from Hat Creek (Cassel), Shasta County, California.
1883 November 10, Shasta Courier- H. H. Baker and his son, Harvey, were down from Hat Creek Thursday. H.H. Baker is about selling his farm on Hat creek to Charles Brown of Hat Creek Falls.~
1887 December 5, San Francisco Chronicle - The Hat creek Colony's Success - Flourishing Condition of the Colony on Hat Creek - Redding, December 4: The colony located on Hat Creek, fifty miles from Redding, is in flourishing condition. Many buildings are in course of erection, irrigating ditches are being dug, and the clearing of land is actively progressing. A new town has been laid out on the old millsite on the Baker toll road and several lots sold and business houses created. Mr. Meyer, founder of this colony, has gone to southern California to lecture on the advantages of Shasta county and to add recruits to the colony.~
1888 January 7, Republican Free Press - George Meyer arrived from Southern California last month. during the past month he has been lecturing and working that section for the interest of the colony and Shasta County to the site which he has laid out for a town and which he has named Cassel City.~
1888 March 17, Republican Free Press - From Cassel City - William Brownley, the present owner of the Baker Toll Road, is selling town lots fast and has the best Toll Road in this upper country.~
1889 August 17, Republican Free Press- August Giessner, the gentleman who expects soon to start a brewery at Burney Valley, came down to Redding this week for a load of iron and machinery connected therewith.(Located on a Spring north of Cassel village).~
1889 October 26, Republican Free Press- Gus Giessner and Martin Frahm of Burney Valley came down Thursday. Gus has a contest before the United States Land Office with Mr. Fagg of Cassel, and Martin is here for the purpose of taking three German settlers and their effects to the valley.~
1890 August 30, Republican Free Press- F. M. Rowlee, the boss butter maker, was here from Cassel this week.~
1892 April 23, Free Press (Redding, California) - Fall River "Mail" Notes - A gentleman by the name of Giessner of Hat Creek has rented the Baker Toll road.~
1892 April 30, Free Press (Redding, California) - Cassel Items. I would advise those going north to travel on the Baker road which passes through our town. There are good accommodations at the Cassel hotel for those wishuing to stop over a few day. Travelers will find Mr. Giessner, the new tollkeeper, very pleasant and accommodating.~
1892 November 19, Free Press (Redding, California) - Died at Cassel, November 3d, in childbirth, beloved wife of August Giessner. Mrs. Lippincott will take the infant left motherless.~
1895 July 27, Shasta Courier (from the Supervisors Proceedings) - August Giessner was appointed Justice of the Peace of Burney Valley Township.~
1899 November 5, Morning Searchlight (Redding, California) - BUYING BEEF CATTLE - A. W. Giessner, the bridge-builder and bustling farmer of Hat Creek, arrived in town Saturday evening with a load of butter. He will take back a load of food stuffs for winter. He reports prosperous times in his region. He also reports a scarcity of cattle at present. The Mountain Copper Company had a representative through there recently who purchased all the cattle he could get. He secured in all 700 head. About 400 of the beeves are in Big Valley at present and 300 on Hat Creek.~
1899-1900, Shasta County Directory, Cassel located on Hat Creek sixty five miles east of Redding in Hat Creek Valley. Is on Baker Toll Road; mail every other day. The country is rough lava formation with small meadow farms scattered through the valley and considerable alfalfa, grain and wild hay being raised. Dairying and stock raising are the principal industries. Population of valley about 100 whites with equal number of Indians.
Braden, Mrs. L, Teacher; Brown, W.W., General Store; Giessner, August, Bridge Builder; Dungan, M.C., Sawmill (Minister); Lister, Miss K, Teacher, Government Indian School; White, Miss G. E., Teacher; Williams, H.E., General Store, Hotel, Postmaster.~
1902, Shasta County, California, Burney Voters Precinct, but with an address of Cassel: BIDWELL, Christopher C. 45, William Greene 25; BROWN, Frank Frederick 44, William Wesley 49, John Frederick 21, Charles Henry 52, David Amos 47; [BROWN, John Wesley 56, gave Carbon as address];CONRAD, Friedrich Michael 38; DOYEL, David Louis 27; DUDGEON, James H 61; DUNGAN, Phillip Sheridan 26, Michael Combs 30; FARMER, William Richard 31; FISHER, Noble Andrew 63; GIESSNER, August Wilhelm 49; HONN, Paul Millman 36; PICKETT, Hosea D 47; REIVES, John Wesley 40; RIEGER, Frank 39; ROWLEE, Clark Asa 29; SIKES, Charles Henry 45; SULLIVAN, Lee Hardy 39; WELCH, Newton Elmer 42, Willard Cass 47; WILLIAMS Henry Edward 44.~
1902 April 25, August Wilhelm Giessner registered his livestock brand from Cassel, Shasta, California.
1902 August 31, San Francisco Call, Redding, Aug 30 - KILLED BY FALL FROM A BARN - Louis Pritten, a farmer, fell from a barn on his place near Cassel, in Eastern Shasta County, yesterday and his neck was broken.~
1906 February 20, Shasta Courier- CHOKED HIS OWN HORSE TO DEATH - Burney Valley Man Accidentally Kills his own Animal - Lariat too tight around a jumping horses' neck - every member post graduate class in Cassel passes examination - Notes from Burney Section
Cassel, February 16 - Ernie Morris had the misfortune to kill a horse Saturday. It was a wild two year old which persisted in high jumping. It escaped from the high log corral and Morris lassoed it. The rope slipped very tight, and before it could be removed the horse was dead.
The post graduate class in Cassel School took the eighth grade examination last week. Both members passed with very good standings. Irene Bidwell, the only eighth grade pupil, took the examination with the other class and made the best average, after being in the grade a little over six months. Diligent study will accomplish much and if parents would see that pupils spend their spare time in a profitable way, both pupil and teacher would be much benefited.
Mr. and Mrs. John Kinyon are taking care of Frank Brown's ranch during his and Mrs. Brown's absence below.
Mr. and Mrs. L. V. Thatcher visited Mrs. Mary Bidwell Friday evening until Sunday morning.
Mr. and Mrs. J. W. Rieves and Lloyd Thatcher were Burney visitors today.~
1906 August 14, Otto M. Giessner registered his livestock brand from Cassel, Shasta, California.
1910 October 1, Pacific Rural Press - A creamery and cheese factory was recently built at Cassel, Shasta county. This is the beginning of the dairy industry in this section. Already 300 cows have been promised to furnish milk for the creamery.~
1912 February 5, Sacramento Union - Cassel, Shasta Co., Feb 4 - The friends and neighbors of Otto Giessner of Cassel gave him a very pleasant birthday party last Sunday evening at the home of his parents. All sorts of amusements and a delicious supper were on the evening's program. The guests of the evening were: Mr. and Mrs. M.C. Dungan, Mr. and Mrs. John Kerns, Mr. and Mrs. Samuel Kerns, Mr. and Mrs. David Doyel, Mr. and Mrs. Frank Rieger, Mr. and Mrs. John Kenyon, Mrs. R.A. Wilcox, Mr. and Mrs. A.W. Giessner. Misses Lillie Hobson, Mabel Young, Margaret Heaney, Gladys Smith, Gladys Wilcox, Elsie Giessner, Messers. Otto Giessner, Binger and Harold Hobson, Levi Spaulding, Emil Wagner and Oscar Giessner.~
1912 June 10, Sacramento Union - The Cassel creamery, now owned by A. W. Giessner and operated by his son-in-law, Martin Karpe, was reopened last Saturday on the banks of Hat Creek, about ten miles from Fall River Mills. At present the creamery will turn out about sixty two rolls of buttter daily. As the amount of ice consumed amounts to several hundred pounds daily, Mr. Giessner will install an ice plant to be run in connection with the creamery. This will be the first plant of the kind in this section of the country, where heretofore natural ice has always ineffeciently supplied the demand.~
1913 May 8, Redding Free Press - GIESSNER - HAYNES - A couple from the eastern part of Shasta county were married in the parlors of the Temple Hotel Tuesday evening. Judge J. E. Barbor officiating. The groom was Otto Giessner, son of A.W. Giessner, an old settler of Cassel. The bride was Miss Eva Haynes, daughter of R. W. Haynes, who lives near Burney.~
1914 June 30, Sacramento Union - BORN - Grant - At Cassel (Shasta Co.) June 25, 1914, to the wife of Jesse Grant, a son.~
1914 September 18, Sacramento Union - MARRIED - Rhoades-Grant - At Cassel (Shasta Co.), September 12, 1914, by the Rev. M. Dungan, Olney Rhoades and Miss Lela Grant, both of Shasta county.~
1915 April 5, Oscar A. Giessner registered his livestock brand from Cassel, Shasta, California.
1915 June 13, Sacramento Union, MARRIED - In Redding (Shasta Co.) June 11, 1915, by Justice of the Peace Herzinger, Herman Giessner of Cassel and Miss Anna Haynes of Burney, both of Shasta county.~
1915 July 7, Sacramento Union - BIRTHS - KERNS - at Cassel, (Shasta Co.), July 1, 1915, to the wife of John Kerns, a son.~
1919 February 28, Sacramento Union - Redding, Shasta Co., Feb 27 - Wednesday was naturalization day in the Superior Court before Judge J. E. Barber. Two new American citizens were made - Martin Karpe, Stockman and farmer of Cassel, and John Pehan, owner of the Centerville Winery. Karpe was a native of Germany, and had resided in this county since early boyhood days. Pehan was a native of Italy.~
1919 October 2, Sacramento Union - H.E. Williams of Cassel, Shasta county, owner of the Williams telephone system, has petitioned the railroad commission for authority to sell the plant to E.R. Fuez, also fof Cassel. Williams says his telephone system covers the distance of 125 miles, has 100 customers, and has no indebtedness, no stocks and no bonds. He estimates that the plant is worth about $5000. He gives advancing years as his reason for selling out.~
1923 March 28, Redding Searchlight - Otto Bowling and Oscar Giessner, both from Cassel, were in this city on business Tuesday.~
1928, Hat Creek School District, (school located at Cassel) Annual Report of Eighth Grade for Period ending 28 Jan 1928. All students had a post office address of Cassel. The teacher was Frances E. Kennedy:
Abbie Fuller, Ben Kerns, Robert Davis, Hedwig Feuz, Ella Feuz, August Giessner
Final Report of eighth Grade of Hat Creek School District 1 Jun 1928. Frances E. Kennedy, Teacher:
Ella Louise Feuz, Hedwig Feuz, August Giessner, Benjamin Kerns all of Cassel
Hat Creek School District Report ending 28 Jan 1928. Teacher, Frances E. Kennedy-
Fifth Grade: Emma Feuz, Elmer Giessner
Fourth Grade: Scott Kerns, Rudolph Giessner
~ From the school records in the Otto & Eva Giessner Memorabilia, in my possession. My grandparents housed Hat Creek School teachers as well as students at various times.~
1944 February 23, Fall River Newspaper, JULIET FEUZ LAID TO REST SUNDAY - Funeral Services for Mrs. Juliet Feuz, Cassel postmistress who died last Saturday [18 Feb 1944] from a heart attack, were held at 2 pm Sunday at the graveside in Pine Grove Cemetery at McArthur.
The Rev. C.N. Schuchman of the Fall River Mills Community Church officiated.
Casket bearers were Chester Bethel, Otto Giessner, David Doyel, Allen Brown, C.M. Bidwell and Ben Kerns.~
1969, Cassel (Shasta). The former name, Hat Creek, was changed to the present name by the Post Office Department in 1888 at the instigation of real-estate promoter named Myers, whose birthplace was Cassel, Germany. - California Place Names, The Origin and Etymology of Current Geographical Names, Erwin G. Gudde, 1969.~
1892 April 28, Enoch B. Pixley, Postmaster - Castle Crag.
1892 May 28, Castle Crag, Shasta County, California U.S. Post Office established. George Schonewald, Postmaster.
1901 January 31, Castle Crag postal service moved to Castella, Shasta County.~
1908 August 14, Castle Crags, Shasta County U.S. Post Office established. Frederick W. Bergman, Postmaster.
1909 June 10, San Francisco Chronicle, Washington June 9- New Coast Postmaster- Roland L. Still was to-day appointed postmaster at Castle Crag, Shasta county vice F. W. Begman resigned.~
1909 September 23, James R. Foster, Postmaster.
1911 December 28, Mrs. Oregon E. Morris, Postmaster.
1913 May 13, Walter Burnette, Postmaster.
1915 February 19, Charles F. Pendleton, Postmaster.
1916 June 22, DeWitt C. Brown, Postmaster.
1930 May 13, Castle Crags discontinued and service moved to Dunsmuir, Siskiyou County, California.~
Named for William Cayton who settled in the valley in 1855. The Cayton Creek stream originates in the valley and flows to Lake Britton. Cayton was considered located in Cayton Valley 3.25 miles north-northeast of Burney Falls and was the name of the post office established in 1884 and discontinued in 1951.
1855, William Cayton settled in a valley 14 miles northeast of Burney Valley in 1855.~
1873 May 28, Sacramento Daily Union - DIED - Cayton Valley, Shasta County, May 3rd, John Alexander SNELL, a native of Kentucky, 50 years, 10 months, and 9 days.~
1877, Residents of Cayton Valley per the Great Register for the County of Shasta, 1877 were: 1198, Daniel Page MERRILL, Massachusetts, Farmer; 1897, John Cobb WHITE, Missouri, Farmer.~
1884 May 14, A 4th Class Post Office was established as Cayton, Shasta County, California located 14 miles NE of Burney and 16 miles NW of Fall River Mills. Named for William Cayton who came to the Valley in 1855.
Andrew J. Opdyke was the first postmaster. The 4th Class Post Office lasted until 30 June 1951 when the mail came through the Burney Post Office.~
"The first post office in Cayton was established by Jack Opdyke [Andrew Jackson Opdyke], a Civil War Veteran. He wrote to Washington D.C. for permission. Mail was brought out from Burney three days a week by horse and cart. Mary House ran the post office after Mr. Opdyke. Gill Bosworth [Charles Gilbert Bosworth] was the third postmaster. From 1910 to 1938 John and Anna Bidwell [John Nero Bidwell and wife, Anna Mae Littrell Bidwell], early settlers, ran the post office. In 1938, Percy Norris took it over." -Early Cayton History by Elsie Bosworth; [square brackets by Jo Giessner]~
1886 May 1, Shasta Courier - CAYTON VALLEY, one of the most beautiful little valleys on Pit River, is well settled up by a thrifty population and has a good public school taught by Miss Eddy. The valley was named after William Cayton, an old and well-known pioneer. When we passed through the valley, there were but two settlers there. A. J. Opdyke is Postmaster, but he don't put on airs on account of holding a Federal office.~
1887 July 30, Shasta Republican-CAYTON VALLEY is about fifteen miles southwest from Fall River Valley on Pit River, and is devoted mostly to stock raising, although the soil is adapted to the growth of all the cereals, as well as the fruit-culture.~
1893 November 20, Mary House, Postmaster.
1896 March 26, Mary Brown, Postmaster.
1896 December 18, Albert H. Bosworth, Postmaster.
1898 April 9, Andrew Jackson Opdyke, Postmaster.
1902, Shasta County, Cayton, Voters Precinct: Arkwright, Manuel, 45; Bidwell, John N., 28; Blake, William Lee, 38; Bosworth, Edward A., 65; Bosworth, David Curtis, 47; Bosworth, Charles Gelert, 31; Bosworth, Walter Scott, 30; Bragg, Jeddiah F., 58; Burton, Charles Aubrey, 30; Cramer, James Monroe, 57; Cummings, Thomas Frederick, 45; Henninger, Isaac, 53; Houston, Frank A., 52; Houston, Harry R., 23; Lindsey, Levi, 40; Opdyke, Andrew Jackson, 65; Rhoades, William, 75; Rhoades, James Wesley, 57; Rhoades, Edmond, 45; Rhoades, John K., 27; Snell, John A., 37; St. John, William Vincent, 47; Summers, Samuel Sterling, 72; Summers, Samuel Sterling, 28; Wade, James, 84.~
1908 October 3, John Nero Bidwell, Postmaster.
1914 April 14, Sacramento Union, BORN - Haley - At Cayton (Shasta, Co.), April 5, 1914, to the wife of Alonzo Haley, a son.~
1914 June 30, Sacramento Union - BORN - Bosworth - At Cayton (Shasta Co.), June 14, 1914, to the wife of Walter Bosworth, a son.~
1938 June 16, Percy E. Norris, Postmaster.
1951 June 30, Cayton Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Burney.
1938 July 12, 2nd Class U.S. Post Office established as Central Valley, Shasta County, California. Names stems from the Central Valley Project which included the building of Shasta Dam. Located 9 miles north of Redding and 9 miles southest of Kennett, the site was once called Boomtown. Royal Hiebert was the first postmaster.
1941 May 1, Thomas B. Mullen, Postmaster.
1941 September 1, Thomas G. Boothroyd, Postmaster.
1966 December 30, Leona M. Wade, Postmaster.
1863 January 12, U.S. Post Office established as Churntown, Shasta County, California. Name taken from nearby Churn Creek. Located 7 miles northeast of Shasta and 12 miles southeast of Whiskey Creek per the application submitted for the post office.
Sylvester Hull, First Postmaster.
1866 December 12, Post Office discontinued.
1867 January 10, San Francisco Bulletin, Postal Affairs - "By order of the Postmaster General, the office at Shasta is to take possession of the effects, etc., of the office at Churntown, Shasta county, the latter being discontinued.
AKA: Motion; Camp Bailey
1886 August 20, 4th Class U.S. Post Office established as Copley, Shasta County, California. Named for the operator of the vacation resort; located 7 1/2 miles north of Waugh and 8 miles south of Kennett. Miss Anna M. Nichols, first postmaster.
1891 May 28, Evening News (San Jose, California) - A Shasta Postmaster Will Have To Stand Trial - San Francisco, May 28 - United States Commissioner to-day held Postmaster Nicholls of Cossley [Copley], Shasta County, in one thousand dollar bonds for opening letters addressed to other persons.
1894 August 3, Jesse J. Gregory, Postmaster.
1897 May 26, Dennis McCarthy, Postmaster.
1897 November 29, Patrick H. Roan, Postmaster.
1901 November 2, Louis Heller, Postmaster.
1903 April 6, Edward J. Maltby, Postmaster.
1903 April 7, San Francisco Chronicle - Washington April 6, 1903 - Edward J. Maltby was to-day appointed postmaster at Copley, Shasta County, California.~
1907 May 7, Jennie M. Maltby, Postmaster.
1913 May 15, Copley post office discontinued. Service moved to Keswick.
1913 May 19, Sacramento Union - Post Offices discontinued: Copley, Shasta County; mail to Keswick.
AKA Pittsburg District, Williams (for Charles Williams), Brownsville, Ydalpom
1864 March 23, The Copper City Pioneer - newspaper published by W. L. Carter made its initial appearance.
1871, residents received mail addressed to Shasta, 22 miles southhwest.
1878 May 21, 4th Class U.S. Pst Office established as Copper City, Shasta County, California. Name derived from the Gold Silver Copper Company (1863). Located 30 miles NE of Redding. (north side of Pit River near the mouth of Squaw Creek.)
Cary M. Fulton first postmaster.
1879 April 9, Sacramento Daily Union, SILVER BRICKS FROM COPPER CITY - The Extra Mining Company of Copper City shipped two silver bricks to-day valued at $3,890. The mine is improving very much, and all others in the district look well.~
1880 May 10, Copper City Post Office discontinued and service moved to Redding.~
1899 January 15, San Francisco Call, DEATH AT COPPER CITY - David Porter Miles, a prominent citizen and merchant of copper city, is dead, having succumbed to a stroke of paralysus. He was 49 years of age. A large family survives him.~
1899 March 22, San Francisco Call, SHASTA COUNTY'S COPPER MINES - A great deal of attention is being attracted in this county to the Pittsburg mining district abounding in copper and gold ores. Twenty claims were filed in the County Recorder's Office on Monday. Within this district is the old Copper city camp. An extremely rich ledge of copper ore is being developed on Bully Hill, and as other copper and a number of free gold strikes have lately been made in the district, unusual attention has been attracted.~
1901 April 26, San Francisco Call, SEEKING COPPER IN SHASTA - Captain J. R. Delamar, a millionaire mine owner, has again shown his faith in the copper belt of Shasta County. To-day he took, through his agents, a bond on the Globe Group of copper claims near Copper City, within three miles of the Bully Hill plant, which he recently transferred to corporate ownership. The bond is said to be in a good figure, although the amount is not given out.~
1950, The Covered Wagon published by Shasta Historical Society has an article by Helen Hogue regarding Copper City, page 35.