AKA: Motion; Camp Bailey
1886 August 20, 4th Class U.S. Post Office established as Copley, Shasta County, California. Named for the operator of the vacation resort; located 7 1/2 miles north of Waugh and 8 miles south of Kennett. Miss Anna M. Nichols, first postmaster.
1891 May 28, Evening News (San Jose, California) - A Shasta Postmaster Will Have To Stand Trial - San Francisco, May 28 - United States Commissioner to-day held Postmaster Nicholls of Cossley [Copley], Shasta County, in one thousand dollar bonds for opening letters addressed to other persons.
1894 August 3, Jesse J. Gregory, Postmaster.
1897 May 26, Dennis McCarthy, Postmaster.
1897 November 29, Patrick H. Roan, Postmaster.
1901 November 2, Louis Heller, Postmaster.
1903 April 6, Edward J. Maltby, Postmaster.
1903 April 7, San Francisco Chronicle - Washington April 6, 1903 - Edward J. Maltby was to-day appointed postmaster at Copley, Shasta County, California.~
1907 May 7, Jennie M. Maltby, Postmaster.
1913 May 15, Copley post office discontinued. Service moved to Keswick.
1913 May 19, Sacramento Union - Post Offices discontinued: Copley, Shasta County; mail to Keswick.
AKA Pittsburg District, Williams (for Charles Williams), Brownsville, Ydalpom
1864 March 23, The Copper City Pioneer - newspaper published by W. L. Carter made its initial appearance.
1871, residents received mail addressed to Shasta, 22 miles southhwest.
1878 May 21, 4th Class U.S. Post Office established as Copper City, Shasta County, California. Name derived from the Gold Silver Copper Company (1863). Located 30 miles northeast of Redding. (north side of Pit River near the mouth of Squaw Creek.)
Cary M. Fulton First Postmaster.
1879 April 9, Sacramento Daily Union, SILVER BRICKS FROM COPPER CITY - The Extra Mining Company of Copper City shipped two silver bricks to-day valued at $3,890. The mine is improving very much, and all others in the district look well.~
1880 May 10, Copper City Post Office discontinued and service moved to Redding.~
1899 January 15, San Francisco Call, DEATH AT COPPER CITY - David Porter Miles, a prominent citizen and merchant of copper city, is dead, having succumbed to a stroke of paralysus. He was 49 years of age. A large family survives him.~
1899 March 22, San Francisco Call, SHASTA COUNTY'S COPPER MINES - A great deal of attention is being attracted in this county to the Pittsburg mining district abounding in copper and gold ores. Twenty claims were filed in the County Recorder's Office on Monday. Within this district is the old Copper city camp. An extremely rich ledge of copper ore is being developed on Bully Hill, and as other copper and a number of free gold strikes have lately been made in the district, unusual attention has been attracted.~
1901 April 26, San Francisco Call, SEEKING COPPER IN SHASTA - Captain J. R. Delamar, a millionaire mine owner, has again shown his faith in the copper belt of Shasta County. To-day he took, through his agents, a bond on the Globe Group of copper claims near Copper City, within three miles of the Bully Hill plant, which he recently transferred to corporate ownership. The bond is said to be in a good figure, although the amount is not given out.~
1950, The Covered Wagon published by Shasta Historical Society has an article by Helen Hogue regarding Copper City, page 35.
1903 June 26, Los Angeles Herald, BIG SMELTER TO BE BUILT - The semi-official announcement is made here [Redding] that the Balaklala Mining Company has contracted with an eastern manufactory for the construction of a million dollar smelting plant at the mine. Peter Kimberley, representing a syndicate of Philadelphia, holds an option on the mine in the sum of $650,000. The news of the proposed construction of a big smelter, which would indicate a sale, and active operations from now on, is joyfully received in Shasta County.~
1906 May 15, Sacramento Union, WILL CONDUCT BOARDING HOUSE AT BALAKLALA - P. J. Anson of Anson & Company, Salt Lake City, visited Kennet and the new town of Coram the past week. His company has the contract for conducting the Balaklala Company's boarding-house at both mine and smelter.~
1906 June 13, Sacramento Union, SECURES BIG CONTRACT - A. G. Frost has secured the big contract for the grading of the Balaklala smelter. From forty to fifty teams will be employed.~
1906 July 27, Sacramento Union, BUSINESS AT CORAM - Several new business houses are already launched at the new smelter camp of Coram. Perhaps the most important next to Golinky's branch store from Kennet, is the well-established lumber business of B.F. Boyd.~
1906 July 29, San Francisco Call, FIGHTING FOR SUPREMACY - The towns of Coram and East Coram, near the new Balaklala, are having quite a fight for supremacy, with the advantages in favor of East Coram where lots are readily sought and where the Southern Pacific has a depot.~
1906 August 4, 4th Class Post Office established as Coram, Shasta County, California. Named for Joseph A. Coram, President of the Davis-Daly Estate Copper Company incorporated in Maine, May 1906 with holdings in Butte, Montana. The site chosen for Coram was below Kennet and 2 1/2 miles north of Copley and along the railroad.
1906 August 4, Henry W. Brown, First Postmaster.
1906 August 15, Sacramento Union, CORAM IS GROWING AND LOTS SELL RAPIDLY -The last lot in the so-called business district of the newly laid-off town of Coram has been sold, and residence lots are going at a rapid rate. One of the best purchasers of business lots was M. Hansen, who has holdings also at the camps of Delamar and Kennet.~
1906 October 6, Sacramento Union, NEW LODGING-HOUSE AT BALAKLALA MINE - The new lodging-house at the Balaklala mine just completed is the biggest in the Northern California mining field. It is four stories high and contains 70 rooms, having accordingly room for 140 men. There is a long reading and recreation hall, extending the whole length of the building.~
1907 May 24, Sacramento Union, FOUR-HORSE STAGE - A four-horse stage now makes the round trip daily from Coram to the Balaklala and Shasta King mines.~
1907 August 12, Sacramento Union, IMPROVEMENTS AT CORAM - Time and money are not being spared by the Southern Pacific in its yard improvements east of Coram to the smelter. It is expected that the new depot will be finished next week. It will be a handsome structure, far above most of the depots in Northern California. Building is active in Coram. The evacuation for the Tillotson building is nearly finished and is serving a double purpose. The earth taken away is being used to fill the low ground on Fir Street.~
1907 October 10, Sacramento Union, WORKED SMOOTHLY - The new aerial tramway that extends from the smelter to the mines of the Balaklala company was successfully operated this week. Within a short time it will be handling thousands of tons of ore monthly.~
1907 October 18, Red Bluff News, SMELTER SHUT DOWN - The Balaklala smelter was shut down Saturday night, throwing out of employment some sixty men. Only the Superintendent and watchman are retained.~
1908 February 4, Sacramento Union, NOW FLAG STATIONS - The Southern Pacific has closed down its depots at Coram, Sims and Mott, owing to the slack in business. These places will now only be flag stations. Coram was doing the heaviest business of any station between Redding and Ashland, Kennett excepted, up to the time that the smelter construction ceased at the Balaklala. The Coram depot will be as good as ever just as soon as the Balaklala company resumes operations. The depot at Sims will again be opened when lumbering is resumed in the spring.~
1910 April 27, San Francisco Call, COPPER COMPANY TO DISPOSE OF FUMES - SMELTER COSTING $150,000 TO BE INSTALLED SOON AT CORAM - A final agreement has been signed between the farmers' committee and the officials of the Balaklala copper company regarding the disposition of the fumes from the company's smelter at Coram. The Balaklala company has agreed to install a plant to dispose of the fumes by the Cottrell process. The plant will cost $150,000. and will be installed by July 1.~
1910 December 29, San Francisco Call, BALAKLALA SMELTER RESUMES OPERATIONS - SMOKE CONSUMER REMOVES OBJECTIONS OF FARMERS - The Balaklala smelter, which was shut down early in December at the request of farmers whoi complained that the smoke was injurious to crops, resumed today, one furnace being blown in. A smoke consumer has been installed. The smelter employs 500 men.~
1911 July 6. Red Bluff News, RED MEN COMBINE - The closing down of the smelters at Coram has caused such an exodus of residents from that town that it has seemed advisable to consolidate the Coram Lodge of Red Men with the Redding Lodge. This has been done and the former Balaklala Tribe #191, has become merged to Manawa Tribe #201, at Redding.~
1911 July 28, Los Angeles Herald, BALAKLALA SMELTER CLOSED - The Balaklala Copper company has closed down its mines and smelter at Coram for an indefinite period. Judge Morro of the united States Circuit Court decided from the evidence presented by the farmers that the Balaklala was failing to control the smoke from the big plant and ordered the plant closed within thirty-five days. Contrary to expectations, the Balaklala did not fight the claims of the farmers and instead of availing itself of the fulltime granted decided to close at once. This resulted in the discharge of about 500 men from the mine and about 200 from the smelter.~
1912 March 21, George S. Bolles, Postmaster.
1912 October 17, William H. Carroll, Postmaster.
1913 December 4, Harry B. Wilson, Postmaster.
1914 August 25, Sacramento Union, BALAKLALA MINE SHUTS DOWN - The Balaklala Copper mine has stripped to a war basis. All hands but four at the mine and four at the smelter have been laid off. The buckets have been stripped from the aerial tram line. up to the time of the little unplesantness in Europe, the Balaklala was shipping 250 tons of ore daily to the smelter at Kennett or to the smelter in Mason, Nev.~
1915 July 1, George S. Ferguson, Postmaster.
1915 July 1, Los Angeles Herald, JOBS FOR 1000 MINERS - more than a thousand men will be put to work in the Trinity and Balaklala copper mines within a short time, it was announced today by the directors of the mining company.~
1917 April 30, Sacramento Union, CORAM POSTMASTER TAKES EXAMINATION - A civil service examination was held in the Redding postoffice Saturday for those who would like to be postmaster at Coram. Freeman B. Cullom, who has been acting postmaster ever since George S. Ferguson left Coram, was the only applicant. Cullom is accountant for the Balaklala Copper Company.~
1917 June 18, Freeman B. Cullom, Postmaster.
1919 May 14, Sacramento Union, TO SHUT DOWN MINE - The Balaklala Copper Company mine is to be shut down within a few days, according to a statement issued here today by company officials. They said this action would be necessary owing to a shortage of labor and the fear that a strike of smeltermen at Kennett, three miles from the properties, would spread to the Balaklala mine.~
1921 July 30, Sausalito News, Condensed News of California - Coram - The Balaklala Copper Company has laid off a watchman at Coram. Assuming that he will move away, there will be left only two men in Coram, which a few years ago was an incorporated city. The other male resident is William Wood, who makes his living tearing down houses. When the Balaklala Copper Company's meter was running this place had a population of 2000. There has been no school here for two years. The two-story, four-room school house, that cost $10,000, is falling into decay and it is proposed to sell it as junk.~
1922 April 29, Coram Post Office discontinued and service moved to Kennett.
1852 February 20, Cottonwood, Shasta County, California Post Office established near Cottonwood Creek 17 miles north of Red Bluff per the Postal Route Map.
1852 February 20, Marcus J. Clanton, First Postmaster.
1852 November 16, G.W. Clanton, Postmaster.
1852, Marcus J. Clanton established this toll ferry across Cottonwood Creek in 1852 (or earlier) to serve the traffic to and from Shasta and the Bluffs (later Red Bluff). The river boats were coming as far as the Red Bluffs on the Sacramento River and occasionally further north. The Clanton and Lean Ferries were essential to the early commerce of northern California.~
1852, Partners William Lean and J. R. Lasiter established a ferry across Cottonwood Creek near the present day Tehama/Shasta Counties bridges for Main Street Cottonwood and Interstate 5 freeway in 1852. At that time it may have been called Lasiter's Ferry. It is on record as being licensed 10 December 1853, solely to William Lean.
1853 May 27, David C. Huntoon, Postmaster.
1853 November 22, William K. Lean, Postmaster.
1854 September 21, Prices Current and Shipping List (San Francisco, California - Corrrect List of Post Offices in California - Cottonwood, Shasta; William Lane [s/b William Lean, but it is pronounced Lane].
1860 March 26, Alexander B. Jackson, Postmaster, Cottonwood, Tehama County, California as a result of the county boundary change.
1869 August 4, John A. Brown, Postmaster, Cottonwood, Tehama County, California.
1872 September 20, Post Office again in Shasta County.
1872 September 20, Jacob Foster, Postmaster. Said to have run the post office from his tavern on Main Street after the first train passed through Cottonwood to Redding.
1874 January 26, Henry Lyman (Syman?), Postmaster.
1874 March 10, Jacob Foster, Postmaster.The toll ferry may have been in operation as early as 1850-1851. As late as 1862 Lean (Lean's Ferry) is on record as renewing his license. It was not discontinued as a public service until 1874.~
1877, The Great Register for the County of Shasta, California, listed the following residents:
Antoine BAUNN, Switzerland, Laborer; William Murry CLEVELAND, Ohio, Bar Keeper; Thomas CHAPMAN, Michigan, Laborer; Stephen Davis DAMMON, Maine, Railroad Man; Thomas GRAY, Indiana, Blacksmith; William Franklin HARDMAN, Missouri, Laborer; William HORTON, USA, Farmer; Matthew P.T. KYLE, Pennsylvania, Miller; John George LOVELL, Vermont, Farmer; Elmus NICKOLAS, Pennsylvania, Farmer; William Franklin PRICE, Missouri, Merchant; Eugene Benton RICHARDSON, Illinois, Teamster; Luman Hopkins ROWLEE, USA, Blacksmith; Michael RILEY, Ireland, Laborer; James Oscar SMITH, New York, Physician; Adam SCHUMAN, Germany, Merchant (Tehama County, California); Andrew Madison SMITH, Iowa, Farmer; Adolphe TUPKER, Germany, Carpenter (Shasta Co.).~
1877 August 20, William Knowlton, Postmaster in his small store on Front Street. Knowlton also operated the Wells, Fargo and Company office.
1881, The History and Business Directory for the County of Shasta, California:
Henry ARMENTROUT, Wagon maker; George BILLUP, Merchant; Charles BILLUP, Merchant; Captain H. BOSANKO, Sheep Raiser; Westley BROWN, Farmer; George BUTTERWAY, Carpenter; F. CROWLEY, farmer; Charles FORSTER, Agent Wells Fargo & Company; Jacob FORSTER, Hotel; John FORSTER, Telegraph Operator; Thomas GREY, Blacksmith; E D R JONES, Carpenter; William KNOWLTON, Merchant and Postmaster; William LANE [LEAN], Farmer; Mrs. Wilhelmina LUDWIG, Stockraiser; E. NICHOLS, Farmer; William F. PRICE & Company, General Mechandise; L. H. ROWLEE, Blacksmith; J.O. SMITH, Physician; L. SCHUMAN (with W.F. Price & Co.); Adolph TUPKER, Carpenter.~
1886 September 16, Walton W. Felts, Postmaster.
1886 October 12, San Francisco Bulletin - Pacific Coast Items - Mail service has been established from Cottonwood to Gas Point, Shasta County seventeen miles and back, twice a week.~
1886 December 4, William Knowlton, Postmaster.
1889 March 26, Camellia Parlor No. 41 of the Native Daughters of the Golden West, Cottonwood, Shasta County, California was instituted this date. The center of the seal is a single Camellia blossom.~
1889 April 25, Solomon S. Crane, Postmaster.
1893 August 5, Mrs. Virginia S. Martin, Postmaster.
1897 October 12, Thomas J. McCabe, Postmaster.
1899 February 21, Searchlight (Redding, CA) Mrs. Kate J. Lean has petitioned for letters of administration on the estate of her late husband, Robert Henry Lean, of Cottonwood. The personal property is valued at $275. She asks for the guardianship of two minor children.~
1902 May - May Day Edition of the Cottonwood Herald -
"There are four Fraternal organizations in town, and all in a flourishing condition: Court Cottonwood, Ancient Order of Foresters, No. 8926; Olive Branch Lodge, No. 201, Fraternal Brotherhood; Shasta View, Modern Woodmen, No. 10,489; Oaknole [Oak Knoll] Circle, Companion to A.O.F. Besides there are several social societies that help to keep the community in harmony and good fellowship."
"Cottonwood Gun Club - Members in 1902 included W.L. Rose, T.D. Goodman, Ed G. Carter, John Hutchinson, I.N. Gould, and Jim Long."~
1908 December 4, Shasta Courier,(Redding, California) - Edward G. Carter, a leading businessman of Cottonwood, was a Tuesday morning arrival in this city on legal business. Mr. Carter is the leader of a number of citizens who are fighting the new Anderson high school measure.~
1912 July 17, Joseph C. Ashbaugh, Postmaster.
1915 March 2, Virginia H. Gould, Postmaster.
1920 February 11, Virginia H. Rice, Postmaster.
1923 July 17, Searchlight (Redding, California) - THOMAS J. MCCABE DIES IN HOSPITAL - Kick of a Horse Proves Fatal to Cottonwood Farmer - Woodland, July 16 - Thomas J. McCabe, 66, for thirty-five years a widely known rancher of Cottonwood, Shasta county, died in a hospital here yesterday as the result of a kick in the groin by a horse. He was a native of Indiana.
Surviving are the widow, six daughters and two sons and four brothers and one sister.
Thomas J. McCabe was postmaster at Cottonwood for a good many years.
He had a small farm north of Cottonwood and was one of the first in the district to get the full benefit of irrigation. McCabe was a highly respected citizen.~
1925 February 21, Denver C. Jamerson, Postmaster.
1933 August 31, Alfred F. Seale, Postmaster.
1971 July 17, Mr. Manville L. Hatcher, Postmaster.
1888 March 9, A 4th Class Post Office established as Dana, Shasta County, California located 14 miles NW of Fall River Mills per the Postal Route Map. Named for the Loren Dana Family who operated a lumber mill there.
1888 March 9, Elmer D. Boyes, (Boyce) First Postmaster.
1891 July 24, Ethan Boyes, (Boyce) Postmaster.
1891 September 12, Mrs. Elizabeth A. Boyes, (Boyce) Postmaster.
1898 May 21, Charles E. Archer, Postmaster.
1900 October 1, John H. Crum, Postmaster.
1902 January 14, Hiram F. Crum, Postmaster.
1903 March 27, Samuel O. Rock, Postmaster.
1904 April 19, David Ripley, Postmaster.
1904 April 20, San Francisco Chronicle - New Postmasters named, Washington, April 19 - California Postmasters appointed to-day: Dana, Shasta county, David Ripley.
1907 December 16, Louis Brewster, Postmaster.
1920 November 2, Red Bluff Daily News - Advertisement - 162 ACRE RANCH FOR SALE - In Fall River Valley, Shasta county, 100 acres meadow land, balance timber and grazing land; good buildings and improvements; 20 head stock cattle; 1 team young mares; all farming implements; 60 tons hay. Price $8,000., terms if desired. For particulars address T.R. Elder, Dana, Shasta Co., Calif.~
1921 March 4, Born - to Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Day at Dana, Shasta Co., a daughter.
1929 January 3, George Brewster, Postmaster.
May 1967, Early Day Life in Dana by Josephine Bosworth for a local history class instructed by Richard Roberts. Excerpts:
"Dana Town is on the main road leading to Bartle, Sisson [now Mt. Shasta] and McCloud. Dana was a stopping place for the teamsters and mail stages going from our valley to Bartle. Bartle was about 20 miles from Dana. There was a hotel at Bear Flat about where the Pondosa Road turns off the Highway 89 and that was a stopping place for the teamsters enroute to Sisson. At Dana there was a hotel, post office, two-story store and a livery barn for the teamster's horses. Our freight was brought from Sisson where there was a railroad station. Heavy laden wagons, filled with all kinds of freight, were driven with four, six or eight horse teams. This necessitated stopping places for the teamsters about every ten, fifteen or twenty miles. These stopping places were Sisson, Elk Lawn, Bartle, Bear Flat, the Hill Place, about one mile north of Dana, Dana, Glenburn and Fall River Mills."~
"Above Dana, about 7 or 8 miles, was the Florin Lumber Mill on Bear Creek. It was run by water power and the penstock was made of even sized logs. It ws quite fascinating to look at. The Florin Mill was built by the three Florin Brothers, Ernst, Louis and Fred. They logged the timber with oxen. The feed was so plentiful that they turned the oxen out at night and let the feed all night and caught them in the morning and used them to bring the logs into the mill. The Florins also had a Sash and Door factory in Fall River Mills, just on the bank of the river above the rapids. Here they made all kinds of wood products, even caskets. We had four roads that led to the Florin Mill. One via Erickson's, one on the Hill Road and one in between the Erickson and Hill roads that went past Charley Eastman's homestead. We could also go on the Boyce Road to Bear Flat and cross over the hill to the Florin Mill. At Dixon Flat there was a sawmill owned by Chase and Sanborne. In the 1880's they had their Post Office at Burgettville. This was later known as Glenburn. This was quite a distance to go for their mail."~
"Our Ft. Crook school was a winter school, but we had a summer school at Soldier Mountain District, about 3 or 4 miles out in the timber." ~
1976 April 29, Inter Mountain News - 10th article in a series by Lillian Kent and Norman Smith. Most of the information obtained from the Fort Crook Museum.
The town of Dana was named for a man by the name of George Dana [Loren Dana, George's father] who owned a large acreage of the property around Dana. His place comprised the two heads of Fall River, Big Springs (or Rainbow Springs) as some call it, now the property of Zareda Jensen; and the other head is comprised of a Million Springs, heading Mallard Creek, a branch of Fall River with springs large and small coming out of the lava. This place is now owned by Dr. Vincent Meyer, these two branches come together about a half mile below the Rainbow Springs.
Mr. Dana had a sawmill just below the Rainbow Springs, run by water power, supplying local residents with necessary lumber in the 1880's. The first School House was on his property, and was called the Fort Crook School District. 7 August 1877, it was a Log House, and was on the corner between the road and the present school building, this housed the school from the 1880's until the new school was built sometime before 1890. This school was in operation continually until Unification of the Districts.
Last July 26, 1964, Mrs. Sadie McKay Hayes, a teacher in this district in 1894, came to visit the School House together with two of her former pupils. Recalling many memories she taught the nine grades from one to ninth, our playground equipment was the small pine trees, large enough to climb up and swing back and forth, the games were Town Ball (baseball), Hide and Seek and Teeter Board - a board balanced on a log.
Christmas was the one feature of the year, a program with all participating, a large Christmas Tree decorated with popcorn strings and numerous Christmas candles lit to give brilliance to the occasion, the branches laden with gifts for all. No fear of fire in those days. Some of the pupils walked from one to five miles distant to attend, if the snow was frozen they walked on top of the snow or came on snowshoes, some were fortunate to have a horse to ride so would pick up those along the way, as long as there was room enough on the horse's back.
At one time Dana comprised of a Post Office, Hotel Stage Stop, Herod's General Merchandise Store with a large hall on the second story where many Holiday dances were held to the music of Bosworth's Orchestra - the orchestra consisted of four pieces, Violin, Bert; Clarinet, Curt; Guitar Gell and Organ, Birdie Hulsey Melone and Rachel Peck Brown (Willard Brown's mother). They began playing in the early evening and continued until daylight the next morning, coming in sleighs from Cayton Valley, during wintertime. Other enjoyments for the community were Play Parties at different homes in the winter time. Summer time found all too busy for parties. Beyond Dana, one mile, was the Hill Hotel and stopping place. Mr. Hill had made a competitive road joining the Boyce Road at Dixon Flat, claiming not so much hill to travel. However, today the main road travels the old Boyce Road over the Boyce Grade and the Hill Road is almost abandoned.
At one time the Hill place had a Post Office named Alpha, which was in existence just a few years as well as a newspaper, Alpha Daily, printed there for about the same length of time. The newspaper was of short duration and we do not know of any copies in existence.
In 1916, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Harden took over the hotel and Stopping Place for several years. One year in the 1890's Mr. Hill experienced a great loss of cattle resulting of deep snow, a thaw that caused flood waters around his home and many of his cattle were drowned as well as frozen in the flood waters thus causing them to be left for several weeks until the thaw came so they could be removed. Of course all neighbors helped in any way they could.
The changing of ownership of much of the property around Dana has made a different picture from the original one. The Fort Crook District School House still stands but is gradually being destroyed, to our sorrow.~
1918 March 22, A 4th Class Post Officee established as Deerhaven, Shasta County, California located 3 miles north of Hazel Creek in a meadow where deer liked to graze.
1918 March 22, Raella Ferguson, first and only Postmaster.
1919 June 14, Deerhaven post Office discontinued and the service moved to Hazel Creek.
Nearby Sallee and South Sallee
1900 - Established as a community in 1900 and located in the Pittsburg Mining District of Shasta County (along Squaw Creek) and about 30 miles northeast of Redding. Named for Captain Joseph DeLamar (1843-1918) the community came about as housing and services for the laborers of the Bully Hill Mine purchased by DeLamar from James Sallee (1849-1916). Delamar had communities of the same name in Idaho and Nevada also serving his mining holdings.
1900 April 1, Red Bluff Daily News, A town has been located and laid out at the Delamar smelter up in Shasta, which will be called Sallee.~
1902 July 11, Los Angeles Herald, FIFTEEN HOUSES BURNED, News has been received of a serious fire in the town of Delamar [Shasta County.] As a result of the explosion of a lamp in McConnell's Saloon, a fire was started that comsumed fifteen houses in the upper portion of the mining camp before it was brought under control. The loss is estimated at $20,000.~
1906 July 27, Sacramento Union, The proposed railroad connection between the smelter camps of De La Mar and Kennet, a distance of eighteen miles, begins to look like a reality. Manager W.D. Riordan of the Bully Hill mine has announced that the road will be built.~
1911 August 15, San Francisco Call, DELAMAR BEREFT OF RESIDENCES BY FIRE - TOWN HAD SIMILAR VISITATION ONE YEAR AGO WITH GREAT LOSS - The Methodist Episcopal church and 12 small dwellings in the northern part of this town were destroyed by fire late today. The total loss was about $6,500. This fire robbed the town of virtually all of its residences. A year ago all of Delamar's business houses and several dwellings were burned.~
See also: Bayles
1859, Mining Camp called Dog Creek.
1871, Sim Southern and J. S. Cameron kept an Inn. Washington Farleigh, Hotel Propreitor; E. Phillips, General Merchandise. Mail for residents addressed to Shasta, 39 miles south.
1875 August 10, 4th Class Post Office as Delta, Shasta County, California. Named for the Greek letter formed by the intersection of the Sacramento River and Dog Creek at the site. Some folks called their community Dog Creek, however, that was the name used more for the headwaters than the mouth of the stream. There was also a mountain peak called Delta Point 1 1/4 miles southeast of LaMoine. The route of the railroad tended to follow along the Sacramento River. Original location 24 miles SW of Dunsmuir.
1875 August 10, William T. Smith, First Postmaster.
1880 June 3, Post Office discontinued. Post Office moved 4 miles north and name changed to Slate Creek, Shasta County, California. Located 5 miles north of Bayles. Named for type of rock exposed by the creek.
1880 June 3, James S. Smithson, First Postmaster for Slate Creek.
1881 March 30, Edward J. Curtis, Postmaster.
1882 November 20, Francis "Frank" M. Whitlow, Postmaster.
1885 June 18, Slate Creek P.O. discontinued and service moved to Bayles.
1898 June 14, Red Bluff Daily News - ANOTHER MINING INDUSTRY - A new industry, the product of which will materially add to the mineral wealth of Shasta county, has been inaugurated on Slate Creek, near Delta. A company of Oakland capitalists secured control of the slate beds on Slate Creek and has placed a force of men at work quarrying the stone, which will be used for roof-tiling. - Free Press.
1910 August 29, Sacramento Union - HOTELMAN DIES AT YREKA - RESIDENT OF DELTA, SHASTA COUNTY, IS CALLED - David Whalen, saloon keeper and hotel man of Delta, died at Yreka yesterday afternoon and was brought here (Redding) on the 2:35 this morning. The body was taken to the T. J. Houston Undertaking Parlors.
Mr. Whalen formerly ran a stage line between Delta and Carrville. He married his second wife, Miss Eva Jones, a former school teacher of the county, nearly teo years ago. He also leaves a brother, James, at Castella, another brother, Thomas, who was formerly of Old Diggings, but now of San Francisco and a sister in San Francisco. He has no children.~
1912 November 11, Boston Journal (Boston, Massachusetts), Redding, Cal., Nov 8 - Bandits Loot the Shasta Limited - The north-bound Shasta Limited, the Southern Pacific Coast Train deluxe, was held up and robbed and one bandit was killed at Delta. thirty miles north of here tonight. A companion of the dead bandit escaped with the registered mail. None of the passengers was injured. A plucky brakeman nearly frustrated the robbers and accounted for the one killed.~
1944, Mrs. Louella McVey appointed Postmaster at Bayles.
*1945 May 1, Delta re-established from Bayles Post Office.
*1945 June 13, Mrs. Louella McVey, Postmaster.
1954 June 30, Post Office discontinued and service moved to Dunsmuir in Siskiyou County, California.
* Date could be 1948. More research needed.
1890 April 3, A 4th Class Post Office named Dolde, Shasta County, California located 5 miles southwest of Redding named for Arnold C. Dolde.
1890 April 3, Arnold C. Dolde, first and only postmaster.
1883 April 15, Dolde Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Redding.
1852 April 8 - The Court of Sessions, our first Shasta County government, on 8 April 1852, authorized Henry Hooper to divert Eagle Creek [water] so far as consistent with private rights.
1857 April 24, Daily Globe -A Bold Robbery - On Tuesday night, April 14th, the house of Mr. Hubbard, on Eagle Creek, between Horsetown and Bald Hills, in Shasta County, was entered and an inmate robbed of $124. Two men started in pursuit of the robber, and coming up with him, were told to stand at their peril. As they were unarmed they could do nothing, and the robber went his way unmolested.
1859 June 25, Shasta Courier - Election held at John's Saloon; Judges: P.F Terbush and James Lemmon.
1871, Pacific Coast Business Directory - Eagle Creek residents received their mail from Horsetown Post Office.
1871, Pacific Coast Business Directory - Businesses: J. M. Frank, Wine Manufacturer; E. R. Jones, General Merchandise; and E. & L. Scott ran a Hotel.
1877, Per the Great Register of the County of Shasta For the Year 1877, the residents, where they were born and their occupations while giving Eagle Creek as their place of residence. Parenthesis indicate where naturalized.
According to David L. Durham, Place-Names of California's North Sacramento Valley, the stream called Eagle Creek flows nearly 7 miles to North Fork Cottonwood Creek.
Henry William ADKINS, England, Farmer, Eagle Creek, (New Orleans, Louisiana); John Thomas ADKINS, Louisiana, Stockraiser, Eagle Creek; John ANDERSON, Georgia, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Almareane Welberne BAKER, Kentucky, Miner, Eagle Creek; George Washington BARNES, New York, Lumberman, Eagle Creek; F.M. BARNETT, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; E. BOHANNON, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; James BARNES, Kentucky, Farmer, Eagle Creek; John BRANNAN, Germany, Miner, Eagle Creek, (Shasta County); Andrew Culbston BRIGMAN, Missouri, Farmer, Eagle Creek; John Louis BRANER, Ohio, Teamster, Eagle Creek; Henry CHAPMAN, Ohio, Miner, Eagle Creek; James DREW, USA, Blacksmith, Eagle Creek; Ferdinand DOLL, Germany, Farmer, Eagle Creek, (Shasta County); Valentine DOLL, Germany, Farmer, Eagle Creek (Shasta County); Levi DAVIS, Ohio, Carpenter, Eagle Creek; Josiah William Patrick DAVIS, Ohio, Printer, Eagle Creek; Albert J. DONALDSON, Iowa, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Madison James DOWNING, Missouri, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William DONALDSON, Iowa, Farmer, Eagle Creek; spaceholder for #491; James Madison FRANK, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; David FRANK, Jr., USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Watrous GAGE, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Eleazer GILLSON, Canada, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Stephen Return HUBBARD, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; John HOLLIDAY, USA, Miner, Eagle Creek; Charles Leonard HUBBARD, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Gottlieb HOWE, Germany, Farmer, Eagle Creek (Rochester, New York); George HALMOTH, Germany, Farmer, Eagle Creek (New York); Edward Ricketts JONES, USA, Ditch Owner, Eagle Creek; Isaac Alfred JAMISON, Missouri, Stock Herder, Eagle Creek; William Mac JAMES, Missouri, Stockraiser, Eagle Creek; James KELL, Ohio, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Leonard LONGMIRE, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William LOVE, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; George McFARLIN, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William MILLER, Ireland, Miner, Eagle Creek (Philadelphia); Ramon MORALES, Chile, Miner, Eagle Creek, (Shasta County); George McALLISTER, Pennsylvania, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Irvin McCORMICK, Illinois, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William Carr MAVITY, Indiana, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William Columbus NICHOLSON, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Cornelius O'BRIEN, Ireland, Miner, Eagle Creek (Shasta County); John Marion POST, Arkansas, Farmer, Eagle Creek; James PETERSON, Denmark, Farmer, Eagle Creek (Shasta County); John RUSTER, Germany, Farmer, Eagle Creek (Shasta County); Charles Gottlieb ROSSIE, Germany, Blacksmith, Eagle Creek; Thomas RIOS, Chile, Miner, Eagle Creek; Joseph REDENCKS, Portugal, Miner, Eagle Creek; Charles SCHIRMAN, Switzerland, Farmer, Eagle Creek (St. Louis, Missouri); George Kaylor SMITH, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William Garrett SMITH, USA, Miner, Eagle Creek; Alanson TAYLOR, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; John Jones WHEELOCK, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; James Allen WEBB, Virginia, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William Parker WRIGHT, Tennessee, Farmer, Eagle Creek.~
Our family spelling is: E I L E R S
Lake Eiler & Eiler Butte:
Luppe "Lu" Eilers was the husband of Rachel Haynes, sister to my Great Grandfather Richard Wilkinson Haynes. In some publications "Lu Eiler" is credited with discovering Thousand Lake Valley. Eiler Lake is within that group of bodies of water and northwest of a butte called Eiler Butte named for the same man. Thousand Lake Valley is 17 miles north of Lassen Peak.
1860 October 17, Elderton Shasta County, California Post Office was established 4 miles west of Cottonwood and 16 miles north of Red Bluff according to the application to establish a post office.
John C. Divine was the first and only postmaster.
1860 October 25, Constitution - Post Office Operations - Elderton, Shasta, California.
1862 September 20, Elderton Post Office was discontinued and the service moved to Cottonwood.
1890 February 5, 4th Class Post Office established as Elena, Shasta County, California located 18 miles north of Montgomery Creek. Named for Elena Haggen considered first woman to settle in the area.
Ellen E. Hinderlong, First Postmaster.
1902 October 16, Charles A. Magill, Postmaster.
1905 September 23, Erik J. Holm, Postmaster.
1906 January 31, Post Office discontinued and service moved to Wengler.
1905 April 26, A 4th Class Post Office called Eubanks, Shasta County, California was established 6 miles south of Dunsmuir and 1 miles north of Castella. Named for J. Cal Eubanks, a pioneer of the area.
Hugo Ehrenpfort was First Postmaster.
1905 August 19, Lucy H. Willson, Postmaster.
1907 July 18, Charles B. Tomson, Postmaster.
1912 December 12, Sadie C. Conroy, Postmaster.
1915 July 22, Josephine Hooey, Postmaster.
1916 June 6, Elizabeth Winchcomb, Postmaster.
1918 November 30, Eubanks Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Castella.
AKA Fall City
1873 October 29, 2nd Class Post Office established as Fall River Mills, Shasta County, California, located in the Fall River Valley, the name was taken from the stream as well as the flour mill and lumber mills in the vicinity.
Peter Eiler, first postmaster.
1873 November 3, San Francisco Bulletin -Washington, November 2d - The following postal orders have been made for the Pacific Coast: Post Offices Established --"At Fall River Mills, Shasta County, California; Peter Eiler, Postmaster. . ."~
1880 June 7, Joseph A. Winter, Postmaster.
1881 June 29, Peter Eiler, Postmaster.
1882 January 13, Joseph B. McClelland, Postmaster.
1882 January 16, San Francisco Bulletin - Pacific Coast Postal Changes For the Week - Postmasters Appointed: Joseph McClelland, Fall River Mills, Shasta county, Cal.~
1883 January 20, Shasta Courier, Fall River Mills - ". . .Long before noon on New Year's Day people began to arrive in our town from all parts of the valley, also from Big Valley, Hat Creek, Cayton Valley, Burney Valley and other places to witness the public installation of officers of the I.O.O.F. who were instituted as a lodge in the forenoon. Promptly at 2:00 p.m. the procession formed, headed by the Fall City Cornet Band, and marched to the new hall recently completed over the school room. The hall was soon filled to its utmost capacity after which T.A. Rosebury [Thomas Alexander Roseberry]of Adin, assisted by others, proceeded to install the officers of the new lodge.
DeWitt C. Brownell then delivered an address on the origin of Odd Fellowship, its aims, uses, and etc. which was interesting and did the gentleman credit.
The people then dispersed to meet again at 8:00 in Fall River Hall to trip the light fantastic until they were tired. And, oh, what a crowd was there and what a greeting of friends and renewing of old acquaintances and good times generally was never before seen in our town so fated for its good time. Thus ended the New Year's Day, one long to be remembered in our town though I forgot to say sooner that the Odd Fellows held a meeting early in the evening of the same day and initiated five new members, which with the 18 charter members makes a good showing for a starter. . ." - "Muchache" (C.H. Manning)~
1883 May 5, Shasta Courier - The Odd Fellows and Masons have purchased four acres of land from I. H. Winter which they design for a cemetery ground and will improve and beautify the same by fencing and planting shrubbery.~
1884 February 5, George W. Cox, Postmaster.
1884 March 24, Samuel F. Fitzwater, Postmaster.
1884 June 12, Hugh McArthur, Postmaster.
1885 January 29, Miss Anna McArthur, Postmaster.
1885 August 28, Samuel F. Fitzwater, Postmaster.
1889 January 23, James H. Curtis, Postmaster.
1889 July 4, Grand Jubilee, 4 July 1889 - The citizens of Fall River Mills will give an entertainment consisting of an oration by J. R. Woodward of Stella; reading of the Declaration of Independence by Herbert manning; instrumental and vocal music; Glass Ball trap shooting; horse racing; foot racing; baseball playing and other amusement.
The principal feature of the day will be a grand high wire exhibition by Young Blondin, the World's Champion High wire artist.
He will perform upon a 3/8 inch wire, suspended 100 feet in mid-air above the principle cataract of Fall River.The astonishing feats performed by this young wizard of the air are simply thrilling and beyond description. He is the world's champion. Young Blondin is excelled by none and has a standing challenge of $3000. open to the world for any lady or gentleman who can equal him performing daring feats on a 3/8 wire, suspended in mid-air. He is the youngest high wire artist now living. His daring performances and aerial exhibitions has astonished thousands of people, and it is the unanimous verdict that he is the greatest living high wire performer. This is the highest and most daring exhibition of skill on a high wire ever given this side of Niagara Falls.~
1891 September 30, Milton M. Rowley, Postmaster.
1892 September 17, Free Press (Redding, California) - Fall River "Mail" Notes - A fire occurred at Fred Knoch's place near Fall River Mills last Tuesday, destroying his milkhouse, blacksmith shop and another small building, and on the very near burning his residence. The fire was first discovered by the Reynolds threshing crew, who hastened at once to the scene of the fire and had it not been for them the residence would have been burned. The origin of the fire is unknown, and the loss is estimated at $200.
While assisting at the fire at Knoch's place last Tuesday, Hugh McArthur was wounded on the leg by an explosion of a giant powder cap. Although not serious, still it was a painful wound.~
1893 April 15, Charles H. Manning, Postmaster.
1897 April 16, Menander O. Mooers, Postmaster.
1897 September 22, Ernest Florin, Postmaster.
1904 December 29, August W. Fetzer, Postmaster.
1909 December 10, Robert Summers, Postmaster.
1909 December 11, San Francisco Chronicle - Washington, Dec 10, Coast Postmasters Named, Postmasters appointed: Fall River Mills, Shasta county, Robert Summers vice A.W. Fetzer resigned.~
1912 June 30, Sacramento Union - GODDESS OF LIBERTY CONTEST - The Goddess of Liberty contest has drawn to an exciting close, netting the committee nearly $250 in cash. The amount might have been much larger if those in change had been willing to give out "tips", but the contest was conducted on strictly honorable lines. The winners are Miss Ethel Bidwell of Hat Creek, Goddess of Liberty; Miss Lenora Brewster of Dana, Justice; Miss Edna Guthrie of Pittville, Justice.~
1912 September 26, Sacramento Union, Fall River Mills (Shasta Co.), Sept. 25 - FALL RIVER ADDITION - Shasta County Town Will Be Extended Through Annex - The town of Fall River Mills is soon to have an addition, or rather Knoch's annex. Surveyor and his crew of men starting work the first of this week to lay out the lots that will soon be on sale. This move has been under consideration for some time, since the land has shown that crops there from will pay no more than the expenses of keeping up the property. During the last year or so many applications have been made for town property, and Mr. Fred Knoch is now going to sell to those who will build. The situation is a strip of land lying above or north of the M. E. Church and is about one mile in length, and is a very desirable location for homes, with fine opportunities for drainage and a sewer system.~
1913 October 11, Sacramento Union - . . .Good roads will be the topic of discussion at meeting to be held October 15 in Redding . . .Delegates from Fall River Mills are Ernest Florin, Dr. C.H. Wheeler and Fred Knoch . . .~
1917 June 14, Lillian H. Thomsen, Postmaster.
1918 August 7, Lillian H. Cumiskey, Postmaster.
1921 November 23, Ella Pratt, Postmaster.
1926 April 3, Ethel G. Packard, Postmaster.
1926 September 14, Cora C. Fitzwater, Postmaster.
1935 December 16, Mrs. Maud W. Wilson, Postmaster.
1948 May 1, Mrs. Maxine A. Bartle, Postmaster.
1962 May 31, Noel W. Bassett, Postmaster.
1967 October 6, Mrs. Iris V. Bassett, Postmaster.
1985 August 3, Mary Craig, Officer in Charge.
1985 September 28, Robert E. Mitchell, Postmaster.
1992 October 1, Judith N. Hermann, Officer in Charge.
1993 March 6, Richard R. Fuentes, Postmaster.
2007 October 25, Steven R. Manly, Officer in Charge.
2008 April 26, Steven R. Manly, Postmaster.
2012 July 27, Mark A. Rosenthal, Officer in Charge.
2012 October 6, Mark A. Rosenthal, Postmaster.
1976 Inter Mountain News -The second article is on Historical Marker No. 759, Site of the First School in Fall River Valley. The Marker reads as follows:
In 1868 near this spot the first school in Fall River Valley was built of log construction 20 feet by 30 feet, with no floor or windows. About 1870 the first sawmill was built in Dana where lumber was obtained to floor the schoolhouse and build desks.
Plaque placed by the State Park Commission in cooperation with the Fall River Teachers Association and the Fort Crook Historical Society, May 30, 1961.
For many years the question had been asked, "When was the first school constructed in the valley and where was it located?"
The Fort Crook Historical Society had been trying to have a historical marker erected showing the site of the first school in Fall River Valley, but because of conflicting reports and opinions, the Department of Beaches and Parks would not erect a marker until they had more definite proof of the location.
The Fall River Teachers Association and the Fort Crook Historical Society formed a committee chaired by Theodore V. Sampson, now a retired Fall River High School teacher, to locate and authenticate the site and construction year for the first school in Fall River Valley.
The result of this exhaustive investigation was interesting, but it was finally determined that the first school in northeastern Shasta County was built in 1868. It was located on what is now Highway 299 on the first rocky butte just west of the Pistol Club and was called the Pine Grove School.
A stone marker with a bronze plaque marks the site of this school. The building was of hewed logs and measured 20 by 30 feet. It had no windows, just holes cut for windows, until after 1870, when the first sawmill was built in Dana, and then flooring and windows were added to the room.
The school was only in session about three months of the year because of the severity of the weather. According to some of the pioneers it was torn down sometime after 1882.
The first teacher was a Mrs. Mathena, the wife of the first Christian Preacher to come to the valley.
The pioneers who were mainly responsible for locating and authenticating the first school in the valley were "Uncle" Bill Hollenbeak, Mrs. Catherine Callison, Mrs. Sadie Hereford and Mrs. Emma Wilcox.~
1882 September 16, Shasta Courier - Mr. Winters, proprietor of the Fall City Mills, was in town this week. He says the grain crops of Pit and Fall River Valleys is light this season but he has a large quantity of old wheat on hand so there will be no scarcity of flour. He also reports good prices, and a lively demand for cattle and hogs brings money into brisk circulation.~
1884 January 19, Shasta Courier - Jones and Company of the City Meat Market last week received a band of cattle from James F. Bowman of Fall River Valley that represents the bovine as it appears in the stalls of Illinois and most states where cattle are fed and fattened for the market and beefsteaks and gum boot soles are not synonymous. Bowman not only furnishes the best beef cattle sent to the lower country markets, but Jones and Company always buy the best.~
1898 April 17, Post Office established as Fern, Shasta County, California, located 8 miles northwest of Whitmore. Named for the fern plant growing abundantly in the area.
Charles E. Brown, First Postmaster.
1898 December 16, San Francisco Chronicle - A post office has been established at Fern, Shasta County with Charles E. Brown as postmaster.~
1900 Janaury 23, Frank L. Brown, Postmaster.
1901 May 10, John C. Seiter, Postmaster.
1906 April 24, Anna Seagren, Postmaster.
1906 April 26, Post Office moved 1 mile east.
1913 May 23, Bessie Brooker, Postmaster.
1914 March 11, Fred Asher, Postmaster.
1921 August 21, Frederick J. Wheelock, Postmaster.
1945 July 31, Fern Post Office discontinued and service moved to Whitmore.~
1860 May 12, Shasta Courier - Proceedings of the Board of Supervisors -
Present: D.C. Johnson & J. W. Roember
The renewal of ferry licenses were granted to: William Lean (Cottonwood Creek), S.R. Lockhart (Fall River), Haycraft & Lafferty, A.S. Wells (Sacramento River), and Frank Kenyon.
Renewal of bridge license granted to: Chauncy & Swinford.
1860 May 12, Shasta Courier - Proceeding of the board of Supervisors, Shasta County - Ferry license granted to John X. Hale to keep the toll bridge across the Sacramento on the Pit River Road at a point about one mile below H.C. Hartman's house, Sugarloaf Township.~
1861 May 11, Shasta Courier- Ferry Licenses granted to Frank Kenyon, Adams & Bragg, and P.V. Middlesworth.
1864 May 4, Shasta Courier- The renewal of a ferry license granted to A. Thomas for six months to keep a ferry across the Pit River at a point known as Thomas' Ferry.
1864 August 13, Shasta Courier- A license was granted to Richards & Kingston to keep a toll bridge across Fall River for a period of six months on the payment of a monthly tax of $3.
1870 February 12, Shasta Courier -Ordered that the application of William Cayton to keep a toll bridge on Fall River be granted for a term of five years from the 1st day of October, 1869. Said Cayton to file a bond of $2,000. and pay $3. per month into the treasury.
1871 May 13 - Shasta Courier - Ordered that a five year franchise be granted to J.L. Ballard to keep a toll ferry across Pit River on the payment of $36. per annum.
1897 August 27, Post Office established as Fielding, Shasta County, California, 12 miles NW of Keswick at a gold mining site.
1897 August 27, Frederick E. Willson, Postmaster.
1897 September 20, James J. Spellman, Postmaster.
1898 March 31, William McKendrick, Postmaster.
1902 November 18, Arthur Oates, Postmaster.
1903 June 11, Davis Aiken, Postmaster.
1903 June 12, San Francisco Chronicle - Washington, June 11 - Davis Aiken appointed Postmaster at Fielding, Shasta County, California.~
1903 December 15, Fielding Post Office discontinued and service moved to Taylor.~