Sunday
Aug232015

Flume

1903 May 2, U.S. Post Office established as Flume, Shasta County, California, along Flume Creek which got its name for looking like a man-made flume when it was how the natural flow of the water wore the bed rock. Located 3 miles north of Hazel Creek and 4 miles south of Castella.

1903 May 2, James B. Clark, Postmaster.

1904 October 31, Flume Post Office discontinued.

1907 December 16, Flume, Shasta County, California Post Office re-established.

1907 December 16, James Gamble, Postmaster.

1908 May 12, Walter T. Jenkins, Postmaster.

1910 September 30, Flume Post Office discontinued. Service moved to Hazel Creek, Shasta, California.

Tuesday
Jun082010

Fort Crook (Community)

1877 Directory for community of Fort Crook:  75, William BURGETT, USA, Merchant; 76, Marvin James BARNUM, USA, Farmer; 127, Martin BENNETT,    , Farmer; 140, Hiram Hale BAKER, New York, Farmer; James Franklin BOWMAN, Scotland, Farmer (Nevada County, California); 230, Thomas BLAY, Canada, Farmer (Colusi County, California); 293, Simon COEN, USA, Farmer; 294, Leander CRUZAN, USA, Farmer; 295, Philip Morris COEN, Ohio, Farmer; 311, Julian Francis CORNAZ, Switzerland, Farmer (Almakee, Iowa); 376, Samuel Rapheal Othello CRAIG, Iowa, Laborer; 377, Thomas Paddock CRAIG, Iowa, Farmer; 408, Stephen Rensselaer DAVIS, USA, Farmer; 439, William DOYLE, Ohio, Farmer; 447, Loren DANA, New York, Teamster; 531, John Leonard ELIHU, Missouri, Farmer; 560, Peleg FRUITS, USA, Farmer; 580, Arthur Archibald FRENCH, New York, Farmer; 586, Peter FITZPATRICK, Ireland, Farmer, (Shasta Co.); 618, Abijah FARRAR, Maine, Stage Driver; 659, George GROSS, Ohio, Farmer; 663, Mathew Riley GOODMAN, Illinois, Farmer; 665, Milas GORDMAN, North Carolina, Farmer; 733, Aldana HINKSON, USA, Farmer; 734, Lorin Kingsbury HINKSON, USA, Farmer; 738, Benjamin Quincy HOLLENBEAK, Kentucky, Farmer; 764, Cyrus HOISINGTON, Vermont, Farmer; 770, William Mathew HORN, Iowa, farmer; 771, Asa Manuel HOLLENBEAK, Missouri, Farmer; 772, William Hebry HOLLENBEAK, Illionis, Farmer; 784, Alexander Clark HILL, North Carolina, Farmer; 785, Stephen HOLLENBEAK, Iowa, Farmer (to be continued)

 

 

Saturday
Apr072012

Four Mile House

1855 March 1, Daily Alta California, MARRIED - At Four Mile House, Shasta county, February 18th, Mr. John C. Clark to Miss Mary L. Densmore.~

1856 August 27, San Francisco Bulletin - The Shasta Republican - On Sunday, Aug. 17th. the till of the bar-room at the Four Mile House, kept by a Mr. Davis, in Shasta County, was robbed of $43. by John Barry, a deserting soldier. Barry stopped at the house and informed Mr. Davis that he had been waylaid and robbed between that place and Whisky Creek. Mr. Davis immediately started out after the supposed robbers. Soon after Mr. Davis left, Barry drew his pistol upon Mrs. Davis, and then committed the robbery. Mr. Davis succeeded in capturing Barry near Muletown.~

1899 October 30, The Morning Searchlight (Redding, CA) - Mrs. L. DeWitt of the Four-Mile house beyond Shasta was  a Sunday visitor in Redding.~

Friday
Aug032012

French Gulch 

1854 February 15, Daily Democratic State Journal (Sacramento) - The Temperance folks have organized a society at French Gulch, Shasta County.~

1856 February 18, French Gulch, Shasta County, California U. S. Post Office, 3rd Class, established  at gold mining site located 21 miles NW of Redding. William G. Gibbs, first postmaster.

1859 June 27, William Davis, Postmaster.

1860 December 17, William Krapp, Postmaster.

1861 August 2, William S. Kidder, Postmaster.

1867 January 1, San Francisco Bulletin - William S. Kidder of French Gulch, Shasta county, has tendered his resignation as Postmaster.~

1867 June 12, Thompson Plumb, Postmaster.

1871, French Gulch - the Highland, Honeycomb and the Washington occupied by Thomas Purnell, Superintendent, S. Gover and J. Syme, Superintendent respectively. - Pacific Coast Business Directory for California, 1871-1873, published 1871, Shasta county,Quartz Mills for Gold counted on November 1, 1870.~

1884 August 6, Shasta Democrat - Trustees of French Gulch I.O.O.F. Lodge No. 75, to Mary A. Wheeler, house and lot, No. 20 in town of French Gulch; $150., dated July 19.~

1885 April 23, San Francisco Bulletin - The Niagara Mine is probably the most promising and best-paying property in the district [French Gulch Mining District]. It is owned by Wm. T. Coleman & Co. of San Francisco. A ten-stamp mill is being erected, and a cannon-ball mill - its predecessor- is said to have cleaned up $13,000. last month.

One fact worthy of note, regarding this Niagara mine, is the rigid enforcement of the Sunday law by the proprietors. It is probably the only mine in the State, or upon the coast, where work is entirely suspended upon the Sabbath.~

1885 August 31, Bernard Gartland, Postmaster.

1887 August 10, Miss Johanna Madden, Postmaster.

1888 November 9, Hattie L. Hubbard, Postmaster.

1903 December 22, Mary I. Syme, Postmaster.

1904 December 31, Mary I. Yarvin, Postmaster.

1906 September 21, Laura L. Smith, Postmaster.

1908 May 4, Daniel l. Smith, Postmaster.

1912 February 5, William M. Shuford, Postmaster.

1913 April 2, Bessie F. Maxwell, Postmaster.

1914 August 8, Marion G. Wheeler, Postmaster.

1914 September 16, James H. Oliver, Postmaster.

1915 February 10, Clara E. Jones, Postmaster.

1915, Mines and Mineral Resources of Shasta County, Siskiyou County, Trinity County - Niagara, formerly known as black Tom, was at one time one of the famous quartz producers of the French Gulch Mining District, but has been idle since 1905. This group, consisting of 410 acres, patented, is located in Secs. 1, 6, 7, 8, 15 and 18, T. 33 N., R 7 W., about 4 1/2 miles by road from French Gulch. Elevation 2800 feet. It is on the same hill as the Washington Mine, and the claims were located in 1857.

Owners:  W.W. Bunzoine et al of French Gulch.

The vein system is not well defined. The main veins, two in number, one on the Niagara, and the other on the Scorpion claims, have been worked. The strike is is northeast and southwest, dip N 70*., foot wall is granite-porphyry and hanging-wall is slate. The ore is free-milling with some pyrites. Ore shoot 200 feet long and 3 feet wide. Workings consist of six tunnels, four being crosscuts from 150 to 2200 feet in length, 2000 feet of drifts, several stopes and raises. Tunnel on Niagara claim is 1662 feet long. The reduction equipment consists of four old stamp mills, 18 stamps in all, steam driven. Mine said to have produced over $1,000,000 in gold. Maximum depth about 500 feet. Said to be on the same lead as the Washington Mine.~

1918 June 7, Gertrude A. Forrester, Postmaster.

1919 October 31, Arleta A. Wolf, Postmaster.

1929 January 10, Mary Wolf, Postmaster.

1949 January 14, Miss Effie V. Berg, Postmaster.

1958 September 30, Mrs. Betty J. Burns, Postmaster.

1963 March 8, Mrs Florence R. Duggan, Postmaster.

1970 January 31, Acey t. Stephens, Officer in Charge.

1981 August 22, Dennis M. Barrow, Postmaster.

2001 September 1, Karen J. Adams, Officer in Charge.

2001 December 1, Karen J. Adams Sheppard, Postmaster.

2011 January 1, Leah Hill, Officer in Charge.

2013 April 6, Converted to a remotely Managed Post Office under the direction of the postmaster of the Shasta Post Office.

Tuesday
Jun082010

Gas Point

1875 February 1The Gas Point, Shasta County, California Post Office was a 4th class service point established 2 1/2 miles north of Pinckney.

1875 February 1, The first postmaster was John Shepherd Williams (1823-1883).

1881 May 26, Albert M. Irwin (Erwin?), Postmaster.

1881, One of my favorite reference books is The History and Business Directory of Shasta County, 1881. I have a 1978 reproduction issue made possible by the Shasta Historical Society that I purchased in a used book store in Eureka in 1999.

Breaking out pertinent information, here is the County Directory section for Gas Point:

Baker, George - Carpenter; Criss, John - Saloon; Donohue, Michael - Blacksmith; Erwin, Albert - Postmaster; Garden, J. W. - General Merchandise; Glasser, F. - Farmer; Reagan, James - Ditch Owner; Williams, John - Carpenter.~

1882 November 27, William T. Roberts, Postmaster.

1885, There was also a Shasta County Business Directory published in 1885. Not having my own, I thank Shasta Historical Society and Janie for publishing on the web.

This is the listing for Gas Point in 1885:

Bolton, S. Miss - School Teacher; Davis, Enoch - Farmer, Miner; Davis, Millard F. - Miner; Dexter, John -Stock raiser; Dickerson, Calvin - Farmer; Dickerson, Melvin N. - Farmer; Drew, James S. - Farmer, 280 acres; Elam, William B. - Farmer; Fitzhenry, Enoch - Farmer; Frank, E. Miss - School Teacher; Fratis, John C. - Hog Raiser, Miner, 480 acres; Groom, Elijah - Farmer; Henriques, Francisco R. - Stock raiser; Hoover, Charles - Laborer; Jordan, William - Saloon; Jordan, William H. - Mail Carrier; Kyle, Mathew; Leschinsky, Jacob - Farmer; Leschinsky, John - Farmer, 200 acres; Leschinsky, John Jr. - Farmer, 160 acres; Marshall, John - Farmer, 160 acres; Moon, George C. - Farmer, 160 acres; Moon, Archibald - Farmer; McAllister, George - Farmer; Peterson, J. M. - Farmer, 360 acres; Rabbit, Frank - Hog Raiser; Rader, Isaac - Farmer; Reagan, James - Farmer, Water Ditch; Schultz, Charles - Miner; Schutz, Richard J. - Physician, Farmer; White, Benjamin - Farmer, Sheep Raiser; Wilder, John C. - Blacksmith.~

1886 April 8, George H. Anderson, Postmaster.

1888 June 6, Union S. Petty, Postmaster.

1889 August 9, Sarah A. Reagan, Postmaster.

1893 December 29, Charles E. Benson, Postmaster.

1896 March 7, Henrietta Leschinsky, Postmaster.

1898 December 17, Henrietta Heins, Postmaster.

1899 February 1, Morning Searchlight (Redding, California) - F. F. Souza, of Gas Point, is now driving one of Adam's Iron Mountain stages.~

1899-1900, Gas Point is located twenty-five miles southwest from Redding, on the North Fork of Cottonwood Creek. In early days it was a rich mining section, and its placers have not yet been exhausted. The nearest telephone and telegraph station is Cottonwood, a distance of sixteen miles, from which point there is a tri-weekly mail. Stock raising is at present the principal industry of this section.

Living here at this time:  James Drew, Stockman; Henry Hines, Stockman, Mrs. Henry Hines, Postmistress; Kee Lee, General Merchandise; James Reagan, Stockman; and H.H. Shuffleton, Stockman. - Shasta County Directory, published in 1900.~

1909 April 12, John H. Ponte, Postmaster.

1912, Redding Record Searchlight -There are several parts of Shasta County where the "Eagle" will scream this Fourth, but none according to John Ponte, where it will make any more noise than at the old historical Gas Point out in the extreme western part of the county. Mr. Ponte says they are to have open air dancing day and night, horse racing, foot racing and lots of other attractions for the amusement of both young and old.~

1915 October 29, Henry Hiens, Postmaster.

1923 Feb 11, Redding Searchlight- Rains-Rickard - Albert Rains of Gas Point, aged 35 and Rosa J. Rickard aged 17 of Anderson were married in Anderson Thursday by Justice of the Peace T A Dunham. The consent of Anna Rickard, mother of the bride, was given. The return of the marriage license to the County Recorders Office does not give the names of the witnesses to the ceremony.~

1933 July 15, Gas point Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Cottonwood.

Wednesday
May182011

Glenburn 

See also:  Burgettville > Swasey > Glenburn

1892 March 5, Glenburn, Shasta County, California Post Office established as a name changed from Swasey located 6 miles NW of Fall river Mills.

1892 March 5, John R. Crichton, Postmaster.

1897 September 27, Francis M. Scott, Postmaster.

1897 November 13, George M. Rock, Postmaster.

1899 April 26, John V. Selvester, Postmaster.

1899 June 21, George W. Levens, Postmaster.

1906 February 8, John H. Creighton, Postmaster.

1915 March 1, Sacramento Union - Postmasters appointed:  Glenburn, Shasta County, John H. Creighton.

1918 January 3, Minnie Creighton, Postmaster.

1920 May 3, Sacramento Union - PIT RIVER INDIAN CHIEF DIES OF FLU - Chip Craig, age about 60 years, chief of the Fall River branch of Pit River Indian Tribe, died at his home near the old Craig ranch above Glenburn, after a week's illness due to influenza. Chip was elected to the position after the death of Chief Henry 10 or 12 years ago. It is probable that several big meetings will be called and pow-wows indulged in before the vacancy can be filled. In the meantime, Chief Buckskin of Hat Creek and Montgomery Creek will no doubt conduct the "affairs of state."~

1926 October 30, Arthur M. Dunlap, Postmaster.

1934 December 31, Mrs. Grace E. Dunlap, Postmaster.

1939 May 10, Mrs. Helen M. Hollenbeak, Postmaster.

1944 March 22, Mrs. Iona Strickland, Postmaster.

1953 May 18, Mrs. Louise C. Dustman, Postmaster.

1956 August 7, Mrs. Norma L. Parker, Postmaster.

1957 February 22, Mrs. Norma l. Parker, Postmaster.

1966 May 17, Mrs. Grace Berniece Hawkins, Postmaster.

1966 December 2, 4th Class Glenburn Post Office changed to Rural Branch of Fall River Mills.

Inter Mountain News - 8 Apr 1976 - 7th in a series - By Lillian Kent and Norman Smith, with most information obtained at Fort Crook Museum.

Basic facts for this story were taken from an article written by F. M. Callison for the Fort Crook Historical Society.

In passing through Fall River Valley, going from McArthur or Fall River Mills toward McCloud, the traveler will encounter a small crossroads combination store and former post office (closed recently) and a church. This is Glenburn, one of the three names by which the town has been known.

With the establishment of of military protection afforded by Fort Crook in 1857 settlers began looking for locations for future homes, particularly on the fertile lands along Fall river to the south and east of Fort Crook.

An enterprising blacksmith by the name of Bill Burgett set up a shop at the crossing on Fall River, a quarter mile east of the Glenburn Church, at a point where a traveler had to cross by ferry, and later a bridge, if he were going to Pitville, where a few hardy individuals, including Charley Young, had already settled.

During the mid 1860's Josh Selvester, another early settler, built a large two story residence to serve as a hotel, and near by he built a livery stable. The with the addition of a store and a post office and a few residents that have long since been forgotten, the town of Burgettville came into being.

Pioneer families claimed the surrounding lands. As time went on some of the homes of the settlers away from the river and in the interior valley were abandoned as the winters mud on these flatlands apparently had not been reckoned with by the early home-seekers.

Some 20 years later another page in the history of Fall River Valley community unfolded when H. M. Swasey, a real estate promoter of no mean ability, laid out a town a quarter mile west of Burgettville.

Swasey appears to have planned his venture with great care as Swasey became the second official name of the town.

Now the town consisted of a general merchandise store, post office, a second hotel, livery stable, printing office with a weekly newspaper (The Fall River Mail), a dance hall and recreation building. There was a saloon, blacksmith shop, a country doctor, a modern flour mill, besides many residents.

For a time Swasey flourished, but all too soon it withered and became a ghost town. Swasey was apparently a man of vision, but who had lived far ahead of his day.

There is a story told of Meander Moore, an easterner, who was currently operating the Swasey General Store, while his wife "Aunt Mae Moore", held the appointment of postmaster. It is related that Swasey had left for greener pastures as the bloom of his town had faded.

Now "Aunt Mae Moore" looked across the dreary winter mud flats of Swasey and pined for the green hills of a small town in Maine, which bore the name of Glenburn, where she had grown to womanhood. Upon giving the matter more consideration, she had petitions circulated, with the end result that the name Swasey was dropped from the post office records, and then name Glenburn became official in about 1892.

About the only reminders of the past "three name town" is the old Glenburn Church, still in use, and the abandoned flour mill.~

Friday
Aug282015

Goering

1879 April 28,  4th Class Post Office established as Goering, Shasta County, California located 12 miles NE of Redding.

1879 April 28, John Goering was the first and only  postmaster for his namesake.

1879 June 30, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Redding.~

Sunday
May152011

Goose Valley 

Inter Mountain News - 1 July 1976 - 18th in a Series of the historical happenings by Lillian Kent. Most information obtained from Fort Crook Museum.

This account was written by Charles Jones Hulsey who was born in 1886 in a log cabin in Goose Valley east of Burney. Goose Lake was a big marshy body of water where thousands of waterfowl flocked every year; geese especially, which gave the valley its name.

Here is part of a story or rather history:

"The first school I attended was in a log house near our cabin. Other pupils besides my sisters and I were the Hobson kids and a few young Indians. Local women taught the school. By then there were many settlers near us. The first teacher I remember was Florence Hayes. Desks and benches were homemade. We studied four or five subjects. The teacher's salary was $50 or $60 a month. She built her own fires and was her own janitor.

At home, our chores were the usual on ranches. We seldom went any place for there was no where to go. Once I went with Dad to Redding by wagon, about 75 miles one way. We had to cross over a toll bridge at Hatchet Creek. From then on we were on a toll road, closed at either end with gates and locks. Fee to enter was 75 cents unless more than one horse. Then it was $1 to $1.50. depending on the number of horses, their size and the size of the rig they pulled. A man named Cummings owned it. It was toll road to Montgomery Creek and on into Redding. There were two more roughly made bridges to cross but no toll fee. All toll roads charged the same. It was their only pay for hacking out a passable road and keeping it open through the mountains.

We always had plenty of wood, wild game and we raised out meat. Cattle were of every color, a lot of Durham mixtures. They were hardy and big and were usually kept until four years old. They were sold on the hoof to trading posts, lumber camps and mills, also to mining camps and private parties. Animals butchered on a cool or frosty evening, hung in open air to chill, wrapped in heavy canvas in the morning and put in the shaded place kept fine. Even in summer this was true if hung out to cool each night and wrapped again before sun-up. Meat hardly ever spoiled. Venison kept longer this way than any other meat. The outer skin got dark and toughened but it didn't spoil. Produce was kept from spoiling also by use of salt brine. Butter, always made in two-pound rolls, wrapped in cloth, was kept at home and stored in kegs of salt brine. The price was 50 cents for the roll, it wasn't cut in pieces. Beef and pork and eggs were kept the same way. Salt dissolved in water until the brine would 'float an egg' was safe to keep food from spoiling.

Another way much in use and practical too were the fly-proof screened boxes, with shelves inside, or hooks in the ceiling. Sacks fastened over this box, with water kept running over them, made a fin outdoor cooler. The air and breezes going through and constantly wet sacks kept this temperature evenly cool.

'Spring houses' were built with troughs through them where water piped from a cold spring ran constantly around the milk, butter and cream set in jars in the trough, kept it chilled and sweet.

Our water ran through a big ditch from Goose Creek. A big water wheel pumped water, it made the power to churn butter in the huge old wooden churns set on axles. It was built of huge logs of burnt cedar trees left standing after a forest fire. This cedar was cured to a durability hardly equalled by any wood except perhaps redwood. The centers turned red in the process and became hard as iron.

The barn was known as a post barn, the huge timbers were set in the earth upright like fence posts. It was 120 feet long, 50 feet wide with 40 foot high gable ends. The center inside, about 25 feet wide and the length of the bar, was boarded up and filled with hay, about 35 feet high. Cattle fed on each side of it. Timbers were cut a uniform height for the sides. The roof was covered with 'shakes'. Snow didn't slip off these shakes very easy. It had to be shoveled off to keep the roof from breaking in. Dad gave some Indians a beef to keep the barn roof free of snow all winter. One winter snow fell continually, and a man at the Burney store kept a record of his snowfall and it measured 21 feet by spring.

Social life wasn't too varied but we had a lot of fun at the dances, potluck suppers, basket socials and programs. There was consierable local talent for local music and i played a lot of the times. A dance lasted the whole night through. People came from far and near, all the kids came along, the grandpa's and grandma's too. Dancing started eraly and by midnight everyone was hungry. After a feed we went on with the dancing until daylight. We had breakfast before we started home. If snow was deep people came in sleds, otherwise they drove a team and wagon, with blankets and feed for the team. If snow was too deep, we just didn't go."~

1906 March 2, Semi Weekly - The Shasta Courier (Friday) - Mr. and Mrs. DeForest Hobson were in town [Redding] Wednesday on their way to their future home in Goose Valley, in the eastern part of Shasta County. They came direct from Grass Valley, Nevada County.

When DeForest Hobson left Shasta County not many days ago he was a single man. The fact that he returns a benedict will be an agreeable surprise to his many friends in eastern Shasta.

Mr. Hobson was married at Grass Valley Monday evening to Miss Augusta Marsh, a populat teacher who last summer taught the Bunker Hill School near Burney Valley. It was there the two became acquainted. The acquaintance ripened into friendship and then love. Now they are married.

Mr. Hobson is a well known and respected young man, the son of G.D. Hobson, who lives at the twelve mile house on Cow Creek.

Mr. and Mrs. Hobson will leave in a few days for Goose Valley where they will make their future home. They will spend a few days at the home of the groom's father.~

Wednesday
Aug262015

Gregory > Antler(s)

Also see:  Antler(s)

1900 September 18, 4th Class Post Office established as Gregory, Shasta County, California. Named for James Franklin Gregory who was the hotel proprietor and first postmaster. The location was 7 miles south of Bayles and 7 miles north of Mabel.

1908 February 5, Gregory Post Office discontinued. Post Office name changed to Antler.

Tuesday
Jun152010

Happy Valley

The area of Oak Highlands attracted settlers in the early 1860's when water became available from  Andrew's Ditch. Alexander Andrews originally had the ditch built for mining, later it served agriculture.

Onward was the first post office for the area (see Onward), it was on a plateau just west of present-day Cloverdale. The Onward post office later re-opened as the "Oak" Post Office and remained so until discontinuation in 1943.

Olinda Post Office (see Olinda) was so named and established by Samuel T. Alexander, who had arrived between 1887-1900 from the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii) having made a fortune in sugar cane, and bought 1400 acres for olives and fruit crops. Olinda was a name of a town he knew in the Islands.

Samuel T. Alexander's "Mansion" still stands on Palm Avenue.

Overtime, Oak Highlands, Onward, Oak, Cloverdale, Olinda all became part of the overall name of Happy Valley, so called by an early settler from the San Francisco Bay area. Still later, the post offices discontiuned for service out of Anderson, so most addresses became Anderson.

It was hard for the early settlers to give up their individual location names especially because they were on a "Plateau" more so than in a "Valley".

1891 January 24, San Francisco Bulletin - One year ago Happy Valley in Shasta County did not even sustain a Methodist clasp. Today there is a neat little church of that denomination and a flourishing Sunday School.~

1906 March 9, Semi-Weekly, The Shasta Courier, (Friday) -PERCENTAGE OF ATTENDANCE IN MISS BOYER'S SCHOOL WAS 95.  - The following is the report of the Cloverdale School, Miss Laura E. Boyer, teacher, for the month ending on 3 March 1906:

Whole number of days taught, 20; boys enrolled, 12; girls enrolled, 7; total enrollment, 19; average daily attendance, 17; percentage of attendance, 95.

Those who were neither absent nor tardy for the month were Martin McDaniel, Ralph Miller, Johnnie Mews, Lena Simonson, Alma Simonson and Harry Rickard.

Visitors during the month were Mrs. Kate Brincard, county superintendent, Miss Sarah Boyer, Carrie Pharr and Anna Rickard.~

1930, In the Anderson Valley News, Anderson, Shasta, California on 25 December 1930 - Notice of Annual Meeting of Stockholders:

OLINDA IRRIGATED LANDS COMPANY on 21 January 1931 @ 2:00 pm, Office of Corporation in Olinda, California.

HAPPY VALLEY WATER COMPANY on 21 January 1931 @ 10.00 am in the Office of the Corporation, in Olinda, California.

HAPPY VALLEY LAND AND WATER COMPANY on 6 January 1931 @ 10:00 am, in the Office of the Corporation, in Olinda, California.~

Friday
Jul022010

Harrison Gulch 

Log Town, Harrison Gulch, Knob, Goldsboro - locale names of the area used interchangably until Harrison Gulch became the most common.

The name Harrison refers to William R. Harrison, the first elected Judge for the newly formed county of Shasta in the new state of California. His swearing-in ceremony took place at Hamilton in Butte County on October 7, 1850. Hamilton, near Bidwell Bar, or today's Oroville, was the first county seat for Butte County. Many people confuse Butte County's Hamilton with Hamilton City (Glenn County) which wasn't founded until 1905-06.

1896 September 5, History of California Post Offices 1849-1976 -Post Office established at Knob, Shasta, California on 5 September 1896, for the growing community that housed many of the Midas Mine workers and their families. This particular location in the Harrison Gulch vicinity was named for Knob Peak. The Post Office Department would not accept the longer name of Harrison Gulch, so residents shortened Knob Peak to just Knob. George M. Green was the first postmaster. The post office provided service for 48 years and was discontinued 15 May 1944. Residents were then served by Platina Post Office. The Knob Post Office was located 7 miles NW of Platina.~

Stanley A. McIntosh, General Merchandise Firm, formerly known as Whybark & McIntosh

Kauffman Brothers (spelled Koffman on a map) of Corning opened a branch store in Harrison Gulch with Thomas Morrissey as manager.

Jud Van Matre of Hayfork opened a Butcher Shop.

Gasper Zerr, Butcher Shop

Arnold Sanford "Dick" Hammans owned a liquor store and saloon. He had a rectangular lot on Main Street and a triangle shaped lot attaching behind to Alley. His Main Street lot was between Koffman Bros. and John W. Shutts.

Midas Gold Mining Company occupied a building on the corner of Mill and Main Streets for their main office.

Doctors:  C. A. Mueller, T. J. Edgecomb

Photographer:  Oscar Cromwell

As individuals, A. J. Fowler and J. H. Hunter owned several lots in Knob.

C. F. Goodridge also had a street named Goodridge Avenue for him in the town of Knob.

1901 May 2, Map of the Town of Harrison Gulch, Shasta Co., California Surveyed 2 May 1901 - Lot Owners:  J Wallace, D. Mercer, John Martins, P.S. Green, Daniel Bigger, Joseph Peck,  C. Nealey,  C. D. Scranton, S. A. McIntosh, C. F. Goodridge,  C. W. Heibner,  A. J. Fowler, Oscar Markham, Joseph Anlauf, Van Meter (Van Matre), Mrs. R. C. Ryan (2), Koffman (Kaufmann) Bros., O. Q. Large (possibly Carge), J.H. Hunter, Joseph Williams, Gasper Zerr, Z. T. Weyand, Midas Gold Mining Company, A.S. Hammond s/b Hammans (2), John W. Shutts, D. S. Patten, George Green, F. C. Barker (2), Mrs. M.E. Packard, Town Hall Association,  John Gullart, W. J. Thurman, W.W. Markham, S.C. Heibner, Edward Crawford, I. Barns, W. I. Hammond (I believe to be W. J. Hammans or William Joshua Hammans, my Great-Grandfather), Miller, Baker

Further defined:

Area 1:  Streets = Main, Mill and Alley 1 - Joseph Peck, 2 - Daniel Bigger, 3 - P. S. Green, 4 - John Marting, 5 ?, 6 - S. A. McIntosh, 7 - D. Mercer, 8 - J. Wallace, 9 - George Green, 10 - Mrs. M.E. Packard, 11 - F. C. Barker, 12 - Joseph Anlauf, 13 - D. S. Patten, 14 - F. C. Barker, 15 - Jail Yard, 16 - John W. Shutts, 17 - Arnold Sanford "Dick" Hammans, 18 -  Koffman [Kaufmann] Brothers, 19 - Arnold Sanford "Dick" Hammans, 20 - Midas Gold Mining Company

Area 2:  Streets = Main, Goodridge Avenue 1 - S.C. Heibner, 2 - W.J. Thurman, 3 - Stanley A. McIntosh, 4 - John Martins, 5 - George Green

Area 3:  Streets = Mill, Alley, Main, Washington 1 - Koffmann Bros, 2 - Mrs. R.C. Ryan, 3 - Mrs. R.C. Ryan, 4 - Van Meter (Van Matre), 5 - Joseph Anlauf, 6 - Oscar Markham, 7 - W. J. Thurman

Area 4:  Streets = Washington, Church and Main 1 - A. J. Fowler, 2 - C.W. Heibner, 3 - John Gullart, 4 - Town Hall Association

Area 5:  Streets = Church, Main & Harrison Information Missing

Area 6: Streets = Harrison1 -2 -3 -4 -

Area 7:  Streets = Main, High, Church 1 -2 -3 -4 -5 - W. I. Hammond s/b William Joshua Hammans, 6 - J. H. Hunter, 7 - J. H. Hunter, 8 - J. H. Hunter, 9 - J. H. Hunter, 10 - Miller, 11 - Baker

Area 8:  Streets = High, Main, Church 1 - A. J. Fowler, 2 - W. W. Markham

Area 9:  Streets = Main, Goodridge 1 -, 2 - C. Nealey, 3 - A. S. McIntosh (S.A. McInstosh?), 4 - C. D. Scranton, 5 - C. F. Goodridge, 6 -, 7 -, 8 - Z. T. Weyand, 9 - J. H. Hunter, 10 - Gasper Zerr, 11 - A. J. Fowler, 12 - Joseph Williams, 14 - A. J. Fowler, 15 - J. H. Hunter, 16 - O. Q.  Large (Carge?), 17 -, 18 - C. L. Blak???, 19 - I. Barns, 20 - Edward Crawford, 21 - J. H. Hunter, 22 - J. H. Hunter~

1904 March 31Evening News, Redding March 31 - The mail stage bound for Redding from Harrison Gulch was coming down Arbuckle Mountain, forty-five miles west of Redding. It was being driven cautiously along the stretch of road where the mountainside had been slowly sliding down for weeks, but the earth suddenly shot down the mountainside carrying the stage and horses with it.

The vehicle turned over three times in the rapid descent of 100 feet to the bottom of the canyon. Driver Jack Miller was uninjured and the horses escaped any hurt. There were no passengers. The stage was smashed up.

The debris was left by Miller who got out the horses and mail in safety and made his way, five miles to the next stage station, where another vehicle was secured and the journey continued.~

The Harrison Gulch School was located in Log Town, two miles from the town of Knob.

1984, The Covered Wagon, Elaine Miller TielAccording to Hugh H. Shuffleton, Jr., in 1901, Virginia Kelley taught the primary grades one through three in the community church in town, while he (Shuffleton) taught grades four through nine at the school at Log Town. In 1901, he had taken over grade four also, as Miss Kelley had enrolled close to fifty pupils. With that change, both teachers had about forty students each.

Shuffleton went on to become Principal of the Harrison Gulch School District.

Other teachers, during the "heyday" of the Gulch, were Margaret Franceway, Eva Jones Whalen and Anna Sprague.

Anna Sprague (Mrs. Frank Rose) received her training at San Jose Normal School and taught her first two years (1896-1897) at Harrison Gulch School.~

1916 September 20, Kalamazoo Gazette (Michigan), An $1,800 gold brick (real gold) forwarded by parcel post recently attests the faith placed in postal employees by a Harrison Gulch, Cal., mining company. Postage came to 46 cents and the package could be insured for only $100.~

 

 

Friday
Sep042015

Hart

1891 April 29, Hart. Shasta, California Post Office established 7 miles north of Redding. Named for Richard G. Hart, Sr.

Mrs. Mildred Stevins, First Postmaster.

1891 December 30, Richard G. Hart, Sr, Postmaster.

1900 May 28, William J. O'Donnell, Postmaster.

1900 August 8, H.C. Hopkins, Postmaster.

1900 September 29, Hart Post Office discontinued. Service moved to Whitehouse.

* Richard G. Hart, Sr. father of Richard G. Hart, Jr, who was the Agland Postmaster of 1894.

Saturday
Mar062010

Hat Creek

The Naming of Hat Creek - Multiple Choice:

1 -A man by the name of Drury D. Harrill lost his hat in the waters in the days when store hats were scarce in California, thus the name Hat Creek. The stream originates at the base of Lassen Butte, goes north and empties into Pit River a few miles below the mouth of Fall River.

2 - It is said that in 1872, Lt. Haversham was surveying the area near the mouth of Hat Creek and the Pit River and he asked the name of the stream of a man by the name of Louie Poinsett. Louie Poinsett proudly announced the stream to be named for him -  Poinsett Creek.

3 - However, twenty years earlier the stream had been called Hat Creek because of "a prospector lost on the headwaters and all that was found was his hat."

4 - General Fremont named it Poinsett Creek in 1845 in honor of the Secretery of War at the time.

1 and 4, would be most likely with the following addition:

Probably not knowing that Fremont had named the stream, in the 1850's, John S. Follansbee, John Dreilbiss, Drury D. Harrill, and other prominent men of Shasta area went out as a committee for the relief of incoming immigration which was seeking an inlet to Shasta County by way of the Lassen Route. On the return trip and in crossing the swift, swollen and then unnamed stream, Harrill lost his Peruvian hat in the water and after failing to recover it, made the air blue with his sulphurous remarks. As a placater, Follansbee pulled out a red handkerchief and loaned it to Harrill to cover his head. Before leaving the the banks of the creek, Follansbee stood up in his saddle stirrups and declared "This stream shall be named Hat Creek." All in the party agreed.

The above information taken from Shasta Courier articles.~

1877, The Hat Creek stream is formed by the confluence of of East Fork and West Fork 3.25 miles northeast of Lassen Peak and flows 44 miles to Pit River. It comes through the Hat Creek Valley giving a valuable source of water to the farmers and ranchers and great fishing pleasure to numerous people.

At the time of the Great Register for the County of Shasta, California, 1877, the Hat Creek power houses were not in existance. Near the part of Hat Creek that is now called Cassel, Rising River joins Hat Creek to form a larger stream. Jedediah Smith came through the area, and John C. Fremont is said to have named the stream Poinsett Creek in 1845 for the Secretary of War at the time.

There were only seven persons on the 1877 list, six farmers and one cabinet maker. 705, Arnold GEROW, Canada, Farmer (Naturalization through Father); 1453, Francis Marion ROWLEE, Ohio, Farmer; 1622, James Johnson SIMOUIN, Missouri, Cabinet Maker; 1686 Lawrence Whitser SIMPSON, Texas, Farmer; 1727, Stephen TYRRELL, Illinois, Farmer; 1764, Nathaniel VAN NORMAN, New York, Farmer; 1875, George Washington WALKER, Missouri, Farmer.~

1880 July 3, Shasta Courier - Action by Board of Supervisors  - Ordered that the report of the viewers heretofore appointed to view and lay out the road from Old Walker's Place on Hat Creek to Charles Wilcox's ranch in Shavehead Valley be accepted and filed and the said road be recorded as a public highway.~

1887 July 30, Shasta Republican - HAT CREEK is located on the stream of that name, fourteen miles south of Fall River, and is the center of one of the best stock-raising valleys in the state. Hat Creek possesses the same peculiarity as Fall River being fed by springs which burst from the lava beds in hundreds of places. The stream runs almost on a level with the banks and is fairly alive with fish, while the surrounding mountains can furnish as lively sport as the most enthusiastic sportsman could desire. Six miles lower down is Carbon post office, at which point the U.S. Salmon hatchery is located. The stream runs into Pit River about one mile from Carbon.~

1888, Republican Free Press 26 May 1888 - Cassel City Cullings - "Hat Creek is certainly a beautiful, clear fine stream of water, and the trout are as lively as one could wish."

1899 October 10, Searchlight, Redding, California - Frank Brown of Hat Creek will leave for his home this morning after spending nearly a week here. He returned from a month's visit to San Francisco and the southern part of the state, taken for the benefit of his health. The journey was very successful in its purpose.~

1899 November 10, Searchlight, Redding, California - N.E. Welch, Rube Wilcox and Clarence Shearin brought a bunch of beef cattle down from Hat Creek country last week and delivered them at Anderson for the Mountain Copper Company - Millville Tidings~

1899 December 15, The Morning Searchlight (Redding, CA) - C.C. Bidwell, the farmer and stockraiser, whose home is on Hat Creek six miles from Burney Valley, will return home Friday after several days visit here. He was accompanied to Redding on this trip by his little nephew, James Bidwell.~

1907 June 7, Sacramento Union, Redding, June 6. - The Shasta Power Company, commonly known as the Shannon Company, ansd which has already erected its substation in Redding and is now wiring this city, has commenced action to condemn 3000 inches of water out of Hat Creek for public uses. The principal fight the company will have is against the Northern California Power Company which is interested in not permitting the company access to Redding. Among the defendants here named are many staunch friends of the operating company, and much bitterness has already been shown. The public is greatly concerned in the suit, which will be fought hard at every stage of the game. The defendants are:  Thomas B. Walker, Emma A. Rankin, Park Henshaw, J.W. Long, W.P. Hall, Lydia E. Hall, Nancy E. Townsend, A.R. Perkins, V.W. Stevenson, William M. Sherrin, George E. Giles, E. Muhlin, Carrie Klotz, Alexander Brown, John D. Kirk, R.A. Wilcox, Adolph C. Wols, J.S. Ratledge, Alva J. Anderson, Mary A. Rieves, A.J. Opdyke, F.R. Morris, H. Morris, H. Lonquist, C.C. Bidwell, L.H. Sullivan, C.H. Sikes, F.F. Brown, Catherine Doyel, A.W. Giessner, Harriet McCline, Harvey Massie, C.H. Brown, H.E. Williams, W.W. Brown, M.H. Dana, Lincoln Braden, F.H. Martin, W.H. Schnittyer, W.R. Duncan, S.Ray, A.F. Ray, Emma Ray, F.H. Martin, et al.

Large numbers of men are being sent onto the ditch line of the company, nearly fifty leaving Anderson yesterday for the scene of operations.~

1909 December 7, Weekly Searchlight, Redding, California - WIFE'S CRUELTY LED TO DIVORCE - CLARK A. ROWLEE OF HAT CREEK GETS DECREE AND BOTH CHILDREN - An Interlocutory decree of divorce was given to Clark A. Rowlee of Hat Creek Valley by Judge J.E. Barber in the Superior Court Department 2, Friday afternoon. The ground upon which the divorce was granted was cruelty on the part of the wife, Jessie A. Rowlee.

The custody of a son, aged 12, and a daughter, aged 9, was awarded to the father.

Mrs. Rowlee is in Redding, but she will leave today for Seattle. Mr. Rowlee is a prosperous farmer living on Hat Creek.~

1912 May 1, Sacramento Union - UNCLE SAM IS HOMELESS - Special to the Union, Fall River Mills (Shasta Co.), April 30 - The residence of Frank Rieger and the postoffice at Hat Creek, Shasta county, Cal., was burned to the ground. Residence and postoffice were in the same building. Two chairs were all that was saved of the entire furnishings.~

1914 February 4, Sacramento Union - LONG LITIGATION CLOSED IN SHASTA - Six Years of Lawsuits Over Waters of Two Creeks Is Settled by Stipulation - Redding, Shasta Co., Feb 3. - Six years of litigation over the rights of the waters of Hat and Lost creeks has been ended by the filing of a stipulation between the plaintiff farmers in that section and the defendant, the Northern California Power Company, whereby the land owners will have the right to use the water of the streams during the irrigation season, and the power company for the remainder of the year.

The plaintiffs in the various suits were:  Thomas B. Walker, Rube A. Wilcox, John D. Kirk, J.S. Ratledge, Albert A. Anderson, Mary A. Rieves, Andrew J. Opdyke, Horace Morris, Herman Lonquist, C.W. Rieves, C.C. Bidwell, Lee H. Sullivan, Frank Rieger, Charles H. Sikes, F.F. Brown, John Kenyon, Catherine Doyel, David Doyel, Effie May Doyel, August W. Giessner, Charles Brown, W.W. Brown and P.M. Honn.~

1914 February 4, Sacramento Union - MARRIED - BRAMHALL - BIDWELL - At Hat Creek (Shasta County), February 3, 1914, by the Rev. M.C. Dungan, Albert W. Bramhall of Hat Creek and Mrs. Elba O. Bidwell of San Francisco.~

1915 June 12, Searchlight (Redding, CA) - FROM HAT CREEK - C.C. Bidwell, Reuben Wilcox, Charles Hawkins and Frank Rieger, all farmers of Hat Creek Valley, arrived in Redding by automobile Friday evening. Mr. Rieger is postmaster at the post office called Hat Creek.~

1916 November 21, Sacramento Union - ESTATE OF HAT CREEK FARMER WORTH $10,000 - Redding (Shasta Co.), Nov 20 - In the superior court the will of the late F.F. Brown of Hat Creek was admitted to probate on the testimony of Mrs. E. Ellen Brown, widow and executor, and A.W. Gale, the Burney merchant who witnessed the will executed in September 1910. The estate is more than $10,000 in value. No bonds are required of the executor to whom letters testamentary were issued.~

1918 March 18, Sacramento Union - HAT CREEK RESIDENT TUBERCULOSIS VICTIM - Special to the Union - Hat Creek (Shasta Co.), March 17 - James Bidwell, after suffering with tuberculosis for the past five years passed away at the family home here yesterday.

Mr. Bidwell was born in Millville 37 years ago and had resided most all of his life there and in this section of the county.

He is survived by a widow, Mrs. Hattie Bidwell and three small children. There are three brothers: John Bidwell at Cayton, William Bidwell and Mack Bidwell, farmers on Hat Creek; and these sisters, Mrs. Adolph Bystle of Redding; Mrs. Nellie Erickson of Dana, Mrs. Burney Erickson (s/b Toreson), Mrs. Mattie Loftus (s/b Lonquist) and Miss Irene Bidwell of Hat Creek.

The remains will be taken to Millville for burial Monday afternoon in the family plot in the Millville cemetery.~

1919 July 22, Red Bluff Daily News - INDIAN COUPLE FROM HAT CREEK ARE MARRIED - Billie Muchache of Fall River Mills and Mary Snow of Hat Creek were married yesterday afternoon by Judge Lennon. Both are Indians and for several years have been married by Indian rites and have four children.~

1920 February 25, Red Bluff Daily News - HAT CREEK STOCKMEN TO PURCHASE CATTLE - Ralph Bidwell, Perry Opdyke, H. Lonquist and Vernon March, all prominent stock raisers of Hat Creek, Shasta county, were in this city yestersday en route to Davis.

They intended to purchase a number of purebred bulls which will be shipped to their ranges.~

1921 March 26, Los Angeles Herald - SICK INDIAN BURIED ALIVE, WOMAN INFORMS FATHER - Redding, Cal., March 26 - Charges that William Taylor, an Indian afflicted with smallpox, was buried alive on Hat Creek several weeks ago were presented to the district attorney for investigation.

Chief Samson Grant of the Hat Creek Indians said that he had received such information from his daughter, Mrs. Lela Rhoades. She wrote that two Indians who took the coffin to the grave heard Taylor kicking, but were afraid to open the box fearing the wrath of the health officer.~

1923 February 6, Searchlight, Redding, California - Asa Doty, the Hat Creek farmer, left this city Monday evening for Anderson, where he will visit his wife, who is spendig the winter there.~

1923 February 8, Searchlight, Redding, California - A.D. Hollenbeak, Percy Opdyke, Harry M. Wilcox, Asa Doty and Claire Brown, who drove a band of beef cattle to Redding from Hat Creek, left for their homes Wednesday morning on horseback.~

1923 March 16, Searchlight, Redding, California - BORN, in Redding, California, Friday, March 9, 1923, to Mr. and Mrs. Asa L. Doty of Hat Creek, a son - Morris Lovett Doty.~

1923 December 2, Searchlight, Redding, California - Louis P. Joerger, daiyman living near the mouth of Hat Creek, was in Redding Saturday. He used to be the postmaster at Carbon, but that office was abolished on October 1.~

1925 May 12, San Francisco Chronicle -2 WOMEN CANDIDATES FOR HAT CREEK P. O. - Mrs. C. R. Heryford, postmaster here sent in her resignation several weeks ago. There are two aspirants for the position, Mrs. H.M. Wilcox and Mrs. J.S. Ratledge. They are to report to Redding next Friday for a civil service examination.~

1946 January 8, Sacramento Bee, Sacramento, California - SHASTAN DIES IN WRECK OF CAR IN BURNEY VICINITY - Charles R. Hereford, postmaster at Hat Creek, Shasta County was killed last night when the car in which he was traveling alone turned over on Highway 89 at Four Corners, near Burney.

The Highway Patrol, which is investigating the fatality had not determined the cause of the accident.~

1949 July 31, Mrs. Ramona M. "Pat" Hymer, Acting Postmaster.

1949 October 25, Mrs. Ramona M. "Pat" Hymer, Postmaster.

1979 October 5, Mrs. Ellen E. Taylor, Officer-in-Charge.

1980 January 26, Mrs. Ellen E. Taylor, Postmaster.

Sunday
Dec152013

Hatchet Creek & Hatchet Creek Mountain

1873 August 23, Shasta Courier -Demolished - On the bank of the beautiful mountain stream, Hatchet Creek, this side of Burney Valley at Jackson's Bridge, a man by the name of Sanders started a bar last spring. The house consisted of a frame structure erected over the stump of a pine or fir tree about five feet in diameter. Sections of wood sawed from the stump in regular graduations from top to bottom left shelves for the reception of demijohns, bottles, glasses, etc. and suggested the name by which the place was known:  Stump Saloon.

A few days ago some boys, who were erecting a sawmill at Hatchet Creek in the vicinity of the saloon, set fire to some brush that was in their way, and the fire caught the bark of a red fir tree seven feet in diameter at the base and over 200 feet high. The fire followed the outside bark to a height of 70 feet where it communicated to the heart of the tree through a large knothole. Fire and smoke continued to issue from this hole for two days, and as the tree stood near the saloon and leaned toward it, the boys felt a little nervous about going in and getting their regular nips so they resolved to cut the burning tree down and fall it so as not to interfere with the saloon. Accordingly they set to work industriously to accomplish that object.

After cutting the tree over half-down, the boys concluded to take a drink and were proceeding to the bar for that purpose when the tree cracked and broke at the burning knothole, and the upper part fell with a crash right across Stump Saloon.

On hearing the tree crack, Sanders and Dr. Eaves ran out of the building barely in time to save their lives. The building, all liquors, and fixtures, etc. were completely smashed up and demolished and Sanders and his customers were left to mourn over departed spirits. Dr. Eaves lost about $50.00 worth of dentist's tools by the smash-up, and Sanders' loss will amount to $150.00.~

1876 August 26, Shasta Courier -Sanders, or Old Stumpy, the mixerologist of Hatchet Creek, has done a good thing for the rising generation in the way of building a school house to accommodate the large number of children in his immediate vicinity. His place is some 4, 437 feet above the level of the sea thus making it a pleasant climate in which to summer, neither too cold nor too hot.

1877 September 15, Shasta Courier - The "Old Stump" Station now being kept by Charley Heaton is a good place to stop. Charley knows how to keep a hotel.~

1878 September 12, Redding Independent- . . .One half mile north of Alexander's is the old Stump Saloon now owned and operated by Jesse Crume. This place is the oldest stand on the mountain and had in early days been the scene if many a sanguinary conflict where the parties have parted to meet no more. But times have changed, and the heroes of the early period of the Stump Saloon have all departed and no ones knows where. It is one of the handsomest locations to be found, surrounded by fine land, good springs, convenient and close to Hatchet Creek, one of the finest streams of water in the state where thousands of speckled trout can be seen luxuriating in the ice cold, clear water.

Our old friend, Jesse, keeps a well-regulated establishment where the weary traveller can always find a quotation of spirits vine or something else for the stomachs sake as well as good feed and stabling for his team.~

 

Sunday
Apr252010

Haynes Flat

An area in Shasta County 3 miles west-southwest of Burney.

This was first the location of the Littrell family ranch and then Richard Wilkinson Haynes (my great grandfather) bought the acreage from Littrell family members in 1907. The Haynes family moved from the Goose Creek (Goose Valley) area to this location and continued making improvements, adding acreage and conducting a livestock and farming operation here. 

A nice open area of meadow and a stopping station for cattle drives to and from the mountains and Sacramento River Valley, drovers were known to call it "Haynes Flat."

Family called it "The Haynes Ranch."

Saturday
Oct102015

Hazel Creek

See:  Portugee > Hazel Creek

Friday
Sep042015

Henderson

See Also:  Big Bend

1906 July 19, Henderson, Shasta, California Post Office established 11 miles north of Wengler. Named for Thomas J. Henderson.

1906 July 19, Thomas J. Henderson, First Postmaster.

1915 February 12, Laura Fowler, Postmaster.

1922 April 22, Henderson Post office discontinued and name changed to Big Bend.

Friday
Sep042015

Heroult

1907 November 16, Heroult, Shasta, California Post Office established 2 miles SE of Baird. Named for Dr. Herooult of the Northern California Power Company. Location now under Lake Shasta.

George H. Edwards, First Postmaster.

1909 August 16, Lewis E. Nelson, Postmaster.

1910 May 27, Sacramento Union, REVOKE LICENSE OF HEROULT SALOONMAN - (within the article of the Shasta County Board of Supervisors meeting of 26 May 1910) A.J. Smith, a saloonman, proprietor of a saloon at Heroult, in the vicinity of the iron smelter, appeared before the board to show cause why his license should not be revoked, and on his failure to do so to the satisfaction of the supervisors, the license was withdrawn.

The charge against Smith was that of selling liquor to women and Indians and although the trial was provacative of several amusing incidents, the charge was conclusively proved in the opinion of the board and the adverse decision was returned.~

1915 March 5, Charles J. Cogan, Postmaster.

1919 December 10, Frank J. French, Postmaster.

1922 December 22, Lewis E. Nelson, Postmaster.

1927 November 2, James G. Pulos, Postmaster.

1928 May 15, Heroult Post Office discontinued and service moved to Baird.

Wednesday
May042011

Horse Town, Horsetown

First called Reading's Bar, where Major Reading discovered gold, the location evolved to Clear Creek Diggings to One Horse Town or One Horsetown to finally Horse Town or Horsetown.

A miner by the name of Nelson Waite is credited with naming One Horsetown. He is also responsible for blowing up the natural rock bridge that spanned Clear Creek west of Watson Gulch and two miles north of Igo. His reasoning, to keep hostile Indians from crossing over from the Cottonwood side.

The natural rock bridge was composed of limestone. It measured 63 paces long, 16 paces wide and was 20 feet from the bottom of the gulch with clear icy water flowing. At each end was an apartment measuring 14x10x7 feet containing rude bowls, basins and other items. The Indians never passed over the bridge without placing a stick or stone on the top of some rock near the bridge to thank the spirits.

1848 February, Major Reading visited the place of Marshall's gold discovery in Coloma and based on his observations returned to his Rancho and explored up Clear Creek from the Sacramento River.

1848 March, Major Reading found a bar at the mouth of Clear Creek Gorge that contained gold, the first discovered in this part of the state. The Major and his crew, said to be mostly Native Americans, worked out the first diggings.

1848 July, Major Reading discovered gold in the Trinity River.

1852, Alexander Robertson "Alex" Andrews was a '49er highly involved in the Shasta County Gold Rush and stayed on becoming very involved in the southwest Shasta County area.

There is a court record that Andrews with his partner, Henry Clay Stockton, licensed a toll bridge across Clear Creek in 1852. In 1861, the license was solely for A. R. Andrews.

His bridge was better known as the Horsetown Bridge. On 16 February 1867, he sold his toll bridge to the Shasta County Board of Supervisors for $300.00. The Supervisors in turn made it a County Free Bridge. This may have been the start of the government owned - free bridge crossing concept.

Writing for the SHS Covered Wagon, 1960, Florence Saeltzer states:      ". . .The present bridge is in almost the same place where the old one was. The foundations of the old Andrews bridge were there when the construction of the new bridge began."~

1852 October 12, 4th Class Post Office established as Horse Town, Shasta County, California located along Clear Creek below the 1849 mining site of Reading's Bar.

George W Baker, First Postmaster.

1852 December 6, The Shasta County Court of Sessions issued a license to Landrum and Briggs for their toll bridge over Clear Creek at Briggsville below Horsetown.

1853, The first topographical map of the mineral districts published from actual survey shows the location as Horse Town.

1853 December 20, John C. Spencer, Postmaster.

1854, Official Map of California by an Act of the Legislature shows One Horse Town.

1854 September 21, Prices Current and Shipping List (San Francisco, California) - Correct List of Post Offices in California - Horse Town, Shasta.

1856, The SWSCHG has aquired a letter from the Post Office Appointment Office dated 17 February 1856:

Sir: The Postmaster General has ordered the appointment of James R. Pile at Horsetown in the County of Shasta and State of California in place of John C. Spencer, resigned.

I have the honor to be Very respectfully, Your obedient servant,

Horatio King, First Assistant Postmaster General

Hon. J. W. Denver, House of Reps.~

1856 February 18, James R. Pile, Postmaster.

1856 November 17, Daily Democratic State Journal (Sacramento, CA) - The Shasta Republican informs us that no village in the county of Shasta has improved more rapidly during the year than Horsetown. The rich mining claims recently opened on the Hill and in the neighborhood have given an extraordinary impetus to improvement - Among many others who are investing capital in the permanent improvement of the place, we observe that J. C. Spencer, Esq., has recently commenced the erection of a large and commodious hotel. The mining interest has been suffering in the county, during the past few weeks, for want of water. In the vicinity of the line of the Clear Creek Ditch, from which an abundance of water can be obtained, miners are all doing well. In other localities they await the rain, and as it is late this year, their works and profits are delayed. In many of the richest mining localities of the county nothing has been done since Spring.

1858 June 19, James M. Eby, Postmaster.

1860 June 8, Charles McDonald, Postmaster.

1860, Cottonwood Express, Charles McDonald, Proprietor.

This express will leave Horsetown every Saturday morning for the following places: Piety Hill, Gaines Flat, Eagle Creek, Gas Point, Roaring River, Bald Hills, Watson Gulch, Arbuckle.

All orders left at the following places will be promptly attended to: S.S. Dunnels @ Piety Hill; C. Moore @ Gaines Flat; E. Scott @ Eagle Creek; E. Barnum @ Gas Point; Engle & Martin @ Roaring River; William Knowlton @ Bald Hills; and, Love & Gray @ Watson Gulch.

Horsetown Argus, 24 November 1860 (taken from handwritten notes at Behrens-Eaton on 27 April 2011.)~

1860 September 8, Horsetown Argus Ad.- Shakes! Shingles! Undersigned has constantly on hand and offers for sale cheap for cash, at the Lumber Yard in front of town, a superior lot of shakes and shingles -  William Goodall

1860 December 1San Francisco Bulletin, Says the Horsetown Argus (Shasta Co.) of 24th November: 

Mining is looking up in our section. We daily hear of the opening of new placers. The new mining camp on the middle fork of Cottonwood Creek, known as Tuttletown, is rapidly gaining prominence. The prospects in mining already obtained indicate good returns. bates & Co., in six days washing, obtained $340. There are several claims that will yield well, when water can be obtained. The gravel containing the pay is extensively deposited, and appearances justify the belief that a flourishing will ere long exist there.

On Roaring River, new discoveries are constantly being made. We have heard of a flat in this vicinity that has prospected at the rate of ten cents to the pan. The camp is rapidly developing its resources.

The claim of Bunker, Nash & Howe, at Jaynesville, formerly one of the richest claims in the Cottonwood region, is again yielding well. Link & Co. who have a claim in the vicinity of the above, have been making remarkably good pay.

On a gulch, about a mile and half below Horsetown, emptying into Clear Creek, we are informed Kittredge & Co. have a claim that yields from $10 to $15 a day to the hand.~

1861, Possibly published in Argus Newspaper of Horsetown: Distances from Horsetown to: Piety Hill - 3 miles; Eagle Creek - 7 miles; North Fork Cottonwood - 8 miles; Jerusalem Creek - 13 miles; Bald Hills - 12 miles; Watson Gulch - 14 miles; Arbuckle - 22 miles; Knob Gulch - 28 miles; Harrison Gulch - 30 miles; Janesville (Gas Point) - 8 miles; Roaring River - 9 miles; Texas Springs - 3 miles; Middletown - 4 1/2 miles; Shasta - 8 1/2 miles; Whisky Creek via Clear Creek - 12 miles; French Gulch - 22 miles; Weaverville - 47 miles; Yreka - 124 miles; Red Bluffs - 28 3/4 miles; Tehama - 40 3/4 miles; Marysville - 117 miles; Sacramento - 158 miles; San Francisco - 283 miles.~

1861 July 27 - Weekly Champion & Press - The citizens of Horsetown, California have raised the Stars and Stripes on a tall pole near the bridge over Clear Creek, and just beyond the flag and staff they have erected a gibbet with this inscription:  "Salute the Flag unconditionally or hang."

1864 February 17, William Goodall, Postmaster.

1871, Pacific Coast Business Directory of California - Listed the following residents with businesses:

William Boyd, Hotel Proprietor; Robert Close, Blacksmith and Wagon maker; B. Conroy, Saloon; Ed Dweyer sold Fruits and Vegetables; L. Farnum was a Blacksmith; John Gleason, Hotel Proprietor; William Goodall, Postmaster, Carpenter and Cabinetmaker; Dr. A. Gutmann, Physician & Surgeon; C. Shean, Saloon; Simpson & Leiter, General Merchandise Store; E.W. Snyder, Carpenter; Elijah Wendell, Fruits and Vegetables.~

1873 October 28, San Francisco Bulletin - Washington, October 27 - Important California Land Decisions - The Secretary of the Interior today affirmed the decision of the Commissioner of the General Land Office in the appeal of John Gleason against Patrick Wynne & Co., mineral claimants, involving the title to 160 acres of land in Shasta County, Caliofrnia, said to contain very valuable placer mines. The land is decided to be mineral, and Wynne & Co. are allowed to proceed with their application for a patent.~

1877, An 1849 settlement orginally called One Horse town located on Clear Creek. It was second to the town of Shasta for the gold mining boom. The post office was established in 1852, the third post office in Shasta County. Despite the devastating fire of 1868, the Great Register for the County of Shasta, California, 1877, shows a good number of residents. If you will notice, about half were born in Ireland.

Anthony BOLAND, Ireland, Miner (Horsetown, Shasta, California); Charles BOYD, USA, Miner; William BOYD, Ireland, Miner (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania); Florence CROWLEY, Ireland, Expressman (Shasta Co.); Jeremiah COUGHLIN, Ireland, Miner (Shasta Co.); Robert CLOSE, USA, Blacksmith; Joseph Emmet COOK, Missouri, Clerk; John Clark, Ireland, Miner (Shasta Co.); Frederick Peter CARLSON, Germany, Miner (Racine, Wisconsin); Bernard CONROY, Ireland, Saloon Keeper (New York City, New York); Charles H. COOPER, Ireland, Miner (False River, Louisiana); Louis CHUILLIER, France, Miner (Shasta Co.); Edward DWYER, Ireland, Farmer (Shasta Co.); William ELLIOTT, South Carolina, Miner; Lawrence FARNAN, Ireland, Miner (New York); John GLEASON Ireland, Miner (Shasta Co.); William GOODALL, England, Carpenter (Shasta Co.); Peter HEIVENER, USA, Wagonmaker; Nelson Bruce LARABEE, New York, Engineer; Patrick MAHONEY, Ireland, Miner (Shasta Co.); William Francis MAHONEY, USA, Miner; Wendell OHLIGER, Germany, Miner (New Orleans, Louisiana); Peter POYLE, France, Miner; David QUINN, Ireland, Miner (Shasta Co.); Timothy QUINN, Ireland, Miner (Shasta Co.); Cornelius SHEHAN, Ireland, Miner (Mobile, Alabama); John SCHENICK, Ireland, Miner (Boston, Massachusetts); Michael SCHENICK, Massachusetts, Miner; Clay Webster TAYLOR, USA, Miner; Thomas Thompson WOODCOCK, USA, Miner; Joseph WEIL, Germany, Merchant (Shasta Co.); William Ryan WILKINSON, Pennsylvania, Artist; William WALSH, Ireland, Miner (Shasta Co.).~

1876 June 9, Post Office discontinued and service moved to Redding.

1879, California Map shows Horsetown.~

1880 May 21, Weekly Journal Miner- The ancient Horsetown gravel diggings in Shasta County, California are coming to the front again, and Horsetown is about to get its second wind, and again become a place of some prominence. Eastern capitalists have taken hold and are introducing hydraulic works on a large scale to tear down and wash the gravel hills that surround the place.~

1880 December 30 from typed notes at Behrens-Eaton obtained on 20 April 2011:

Horsetown Bridge -The late flood had swept away the Horsetown Bridge across Clear Creek. The course of travel has changed somewhat since the erection of the old bridge and it now necessary that the new one be built further up the creek near Muletown. A bridge at this point, so we are informed, will save about two and a half miles of travel between Igo and Shasta or Redding; and this being the case, the Supervisors will build the next bridge where the people need it the most - near Muletown.~

1884, U S Postal Map does NOT show Horsetown.~

1915 -Shasta Dredging Company operating on the old Quinn Ranch, owns 400 acres of land along Clear Creek, in Secs 31 and 32, T 31 N, R 5 W, about 4 miles SW of Redding, in the old Horsetown District.

This property was operated for a time by the California and Detroit Mining Company, but their suction dredge proved a failure and the present owners acquired the holdings in 1902. A.S. Newsome, President; W.A. Palmer, Manager; and J. Heaton, Superintendent of dredge for the company. Home office, San Francisco.

The course of the channel is east and west, slate and sandstone bedrock tilted. Pay gravel about 20 feet deep. About 100 acres have been worked. Dredge equipped with 5-cubic foot buckets and 6'X30' screens. Power from Northern California Power Company. Boat handles about 60,000 cubic yards per month. Twelve men employed. Three new hulls have been built by present company. Ground worked in the early days with rockers and was rich.~

 

Sunday
Oct312010

Igo

From an undated Shasta County Report pasted in a scrapbook and photocopied:

IGO - Twelve miles southwest of Redding, a mining town in township 31, north, range 6, west, is one of the neatest and prettiest in the county, full of thrifty and enterprising citizens, who are well deserving of the prosperity they enjoy, and who always see that their public school is of the best. Orders of the Masonic fraternity, Odd Fellows and Good Templars are established here.~

1871, The Pacific Coast Business Directory, Igo residents received their mail through the Post Office at Shasta, 9 miles away. George Kittredge Willard was in the general merchandise business at that time.~

1873, IGO -This 3rd class post office was established 14 July 1873. Olonzo Engle was the 1st Postmaster.

Some say that the word Igo is of an Indian language. The idea that it was of Chinese origin is incorrect.

The most accepted version is that the surveyor laying out the town of Igo, 1/4 mile "down the hill" from Piety Hill, stayed with the George McPherson family while he was doing his job. Each morning when he and George would finish breakfast and get ready to leave for work, one of George's young son's, probably Eugene, would ask could he go with them. Being a young child he would say "I go?"

Upon completion of the town layout of lots, and probably knowing that the post office department did not accept "long words," the surveyor and George decided upon the name of Igo.

The Igo Post Office is still in service. Located in "down town" Igo, Shasta, California. The current zip code is 96047. Ono residents still upset about the discontinuation of their post office, often use their physical address of Ono with the Igo zip code.~

1873 July 14, A 3rd class post office established 1873 July 14 with Alonzo Engle as the first postmaster. Per the Postal Route Map, Igo was 14 miles NW of Anderson, Shasta County.~

1873 July 21, San Francisco Bulletin- POSTAL CHANGES FOR THE PACIFIC COAST - WASHINGTON. JULY 20TH - THE FOLLOWING POSTAL CHANGES HAVE BEEN ORDERED:  OFFICES ESTABLISHED - IGO, SHASTA COUNTY, CALIFORNIA; ALONZO ENGLE, POSTMASTER...

1879 November 24, George K. Willard, Postmaster.

1879 Dec 1 - San Francisco Bulletin - Postmasters appointed - George K. Willard, Igo Shasta County~

1882 December 18, Charles F. Willard, Postmaster.

1885 September 4, Thaddeus A. Jones, Postmaster.

1885  Sep 9 - Deseret News -The following fourth-class postmasters were appointed today, California . . . Igo, Thaddeus A. Jones. . .~

1886 July 9 - San Francisco Bulletin - Following postmasters have been appointed for California, July 8, Alexander Leiter at Igo, Shasta County. . ."~

1887 October 5, Henry Roth, Postmaster.

1887 October 6 - San Francisco Bulletin -"Henry Roth has been appointed Postmaster of Igo, Shasta County."~

1888 June 16, George K. Willard, Postmaster.

1891 September 29, Alexander Leiter, Postmaster.

1892 August 1, Charles N. Kingsbury, Postmaster.

1897 December 31, Alonzo Engle, Postmaster.

1928 January 30, Harry C. Quirk, Postmaster.

1929 October 11, Mrs. Eugenia Graham, Postmaster.

1931 April 29, Mrs. Maggie Woodfill, Postmaster.

1933 February 27, Mrs. Mabel L. Fowler, Postmaster.

1958 September 30, Charlotte M. Marshall, Postmaster.

1960 March 10, Helen H. Miller, Postmaster.

* Belle Stevens, Date unknown.

* Mrs. May Kingsbury, Date unknown.

1877 March 12, San Francisco Bulletin Newspaper ran the following under "State Political Notes" -

"The Shasta Courier says at Igo about 500 guns were fired over the election of Hayes and Wheeler and no sober man could get a wink of sleep within 10 miles of the place for 24 hours."

History tells us that the United States Presidential election of 1876, was and still is one of the most disputed and controversial presidential elections in American History. This is the election where Democratic Party candidate Samuel J. Tilden of New York won the popular vote, but lost by 1 electoral vote to Rutherford B. Hayes, Republican of Ohio.

The commission met in January and adjourned March 2, 1877, giving Hayes/Wheeler the electoral vote victory just in time for the Inauguration two days later.~

1877 April - An announcement ran in the Shasta Courier with the following wording: 

I.O.O.F. A Grand Ball and Supper will be given at IGO, on the occasion of the public dedication of the New I.O.O.F. Hall on Thursday Evening April 26, 1877 and no expense will be spared to render the affair satisfactory to all who attend.

Committee of Arrangements: T. B. Smith, Warren Dunham, Joseph Payne, G. W. McFarlin, J. J. Wheelock.

1877, Piety Hill still had more addresses according to the Great Register, but the town of Igo had been surveyed and populated. Some people were more rural with their farming acreage and one man said he lived in Igo City.

The 3rd Class Post Office was established 14 July 1873, with Olonzo Engle as the postmaster. Igo is said to be an Indian word. If not, it may be of a religious source as are Ono and Onward.  The most common story is that the young son of George McPherson kept asking: "I go?" to his father and the surveyor who were laying out the town, so when it came time to name the map, the two gentlemen decided on Igo.

According to the Postal Route map, Igo is located 14 miles NW of Anderson.

Samuel Pannill ALEXANDER, Virginia, Miner, Igo; Edward Truman BLISS, New York, Laborer, Igo; George BLAKESLEE, Connecticut, Miner, Igo; Jacob BLANK, Pennsylvania, Machinst, Igo; Nicholas Alexander BEEVES, Missouri, Miner, Igo; Merrick COOLEY, USA, Miner, Igo; Presley Haycroft CHENOWETH, Kentucky, Laborer, Igo; Rasmus Munford CUNNINGHAM, Illinois, Miner, Igo; James DELAVAN, Michigan, Miner, Igo; Calvin DICKERSON, New York, Farmer, Igo; Melvin N. DICKERSON, New York, Miner, Igo; John DONAHUE, New Brunswick, Laborer, Igo (Naturalization through father); Herschel GAGE, Ohio, Farmer, Igo; Ferdinand GRONER, Wurtumberg [Germany], Miner, Igo (El Dorado County, California); John Baptiste HIGGINBOTHAM, New York, Artist, Igo; Samuel Wesley HAMPTON, Virginia, Miner, Igo; Robert Gibson HARVEY,  Vermont, Miner, Igo; Samuel Ward LINDSAY, Indiana, Laborer, Igo; Gottlieb LOEFFLER, Germany, Blacksmith, Igo (Shasta County); George Washington McFARLIN, Wisconsin, Blacksmith, Igo; Felix McCARTHY, Ireland, Miner, Igo; Joseph PAYNE, Ohio, Laborer, Igo City; Joseph POTTER, Pennsylvania, Miner, Igo; Josepth RITCHIE, Wisconsin, Laborer, Igo; Samuel RITCHIE, Ireland, Laborer, Igo (Shasta County); Samuel Sherman Ward ROBINSON, Illinois, Miner, Igo; Riel Jackson THOMSON, Vermont, Miner, Igo.~

1881, History and Business Directory Shasta County, California - In some cases I  have expanded initials to names and made some corrections in spelling.

Adkins, John Thomas - Farmer; Adkins, Henry William - Farmer; Banks, Samuel - Farmer & Stockraiser; Baker, Prince Thompson - Sawmill; Ballou, Edward L. - Assayer & Amalgamator; Beeves, N. A, - Mine Foreman; Brigman, A (Jones & Brigman) - Butcher; Burns, Jas. - Turkey Raiser; Caswell, Henry - Blacksmith; Criss, J. - Restaurant Keeper; Davis, J W P - Mine Owner; Dexter, - Stockraising; Dickerson, M.. - Hotel; Doll, Valentine - Farmer; Downing, Madison James - Farmer; Drew, James Simpson - Farmer & Stockraiser; Dunham, H. & Co. - Mine Owners; Dunham, Warren - Hotel; Dunham & Leiter - General Merchandise; Engle, Olonzo - Mine Superintendent; Field, J. C. - Sawmill; Fitzhenry, Joseph - Mechanic; Forschler, William - Farmer; Frank, James Madison - Fruit & Stockraiser; Gibson, S. C. - Physician; Gilson, E. - Farmer; Harvey, Robert Gibson - Mine Superintendent; Hemminger, B. H. - Farmer; Hubbard, Stephen Return - Gardening; Jones, Edward R. (Jones & Brigman) - Butcher; Jones,  Thaddeus  A. - Ditch Agent; Kidder, William Samuel Rev. - Assessor; Kingsbury, Charles Nelson - Justice of the Peace; Larkin, John - Stock Dealer; Larkin, Thomas - Farmer; Ludwig, Alexander - Farmer; McAllister, George - Farmer; McCormick, Erwin - Farmer; McCormick, William - Farmer; McFarland, [McFarlin] William Miller - Eagle Creek Merchant; McFarlin, George Washington - Farmer; McJames, - Sheep Raiser; Maupin, Thomas - Farmer; Murphy & Jordan - Sheep Raisers; Murrey, Jacob - Eagle Creek Merchant; Petersen, Martin - Farmer; Peterson, J. - Farmer; Peterson, Rasmus - Farmer; Petty, John Austin - Blacksmith; Post, M. J. - Farmer; Rader, Isaac - Farmer; Regan, James - Miner & Ditch Owner; Rector, A. H. - Farmer; Robinson, J. - Justice of the Peace; Rothwell, Henry - Mine Owner; Russell, Carl - Blacksmith; Shirtland, F. & Henniken Brothers - working Dubuque Mine; Smith, Thomas Burton, Deputy Assessor; Stewart,  - Farmer; Stiller, Augustus Richard - Nurseryman; Strong, J. B. - Fruit Grower; Stuck, Creed - Farmer; Taylor, Alanson - Farmer & Miner; Terbush, George Finchly - Farmer; Thompson, William - Farmer; Voss, Carl - Farmer; Voss, Carl Jr. - Farmer; Weidenbach, Frederick - Saloon; Wheelock, John J. - Farmer; White, Thomas - Mine Owner; Wilder, J. C. - Blacksmith; Willard Brothers (George Kittridge and Charles Frederick) - General Merchandise; Willard, George Kittridge - Postmaster; Williams, Ash - Farmer; Williams, Kenneth - Farmer; *Wray, James - Saloon; Wright, John Pettis - Sawmill

*Business Change: James Wray Saloon, Igo, is now owned by Thomas White. Mr. Wray has gone into the saloon business in Shasta.~

1886, Some rambling notes made by the Independent (newspaper) man as the result of a tour:

. . . We passed through Piety Hill, once a prosperous mining camp, now a suburb of Igo, mostly occupied by Chinese and reached the town of Igo.

About supper time, and domiciled for the night at the caravansary kept by the genial "Doc" Dunham.

In the morning we called on several of the business men of the little town, and found them hopeful of the prospects of spring trade. Trade is a little dull just now, as it is everywhere, but everybody is hopeful. Dunham and Leiter have an extensive stock of merchandise, and keep Wells, Fargo & Co's Express Office. Mr. Cunningham acts as a salesman for the firm, and is obliging and cordial to customers.

Willard Bros., who keep the post office, have quite an extensive establishment comprising s large stock of general merchandise, a lumber yard, and a hay and feed supply department. Mr. C. F. Willard, one of the proprietors, we met, as also so Messrs. Vickers and Downer who assist in the management of the store.

Frank Richmond keeps himself busy at the forge of the village blacksmith shop and seems to be doing a good business.

Among the improvements since our last visit to the town we noted the new Masonic Hall, a neatly furnished two story structure, which is an ornament to the town. After making the tour of Igo, we started for the town with the other euphonious name, Ono.~

1891 January 24, The Republican Free Press published the 1890 Shasta County Population Count on 24 Jan 1891.

Interesting to note:

Igo Township had the largest Chinese population (101), making it almost a third of the entire county (350).

There were 905 Whites, bringing Igo into 7th place of the eleven township divisions, larger than Shingletown, Burney Valley, Sacramento River and French Gulch.

Igo Township was also home to one of the larger Indian populations (65). Overall, 4th place for the county behind Burney Valley (219), Sacramento River (180), and Fall River (73). The City of Redding came in 5th with 64.

There was a category for "Colored." Igo Township had 5. The most resided in Redding (71). At the same time, Redding had (0) Chinese. Anderson had the 2nd largest "Colored" population with 93.

The total population for Igo Township in 1890, was 1,076.

For more information, access http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~shastaca/pop1890.html or set your favorites for Shasta County Resources.~

9 May 1896, The Free Press- Miss Lottie Kingsbury, who taught the pupils of the fifth grades of the Redding Public Schools during the last term, returned to her house in Igo Sunday.~

1906 March 13, The Shasta Courier, published Tuesday and Fridays, Tuesday  - Special to the Courier Free Press - Igo, March 8: A pleasant dance was given at the Masonic hall in Igo Friday night. Owing to the heavy rain the attendance was not large, but all present expressed themselves as having an enjoyable time. Those present from Ono were were Misses Nellie and Eva McCormick, ; Happy Valley Misses Sarah and Laura Boyer, the Misses Reeds, Grover, Rudolph and Alexander Andre, Gilbert Anderson and Mr. Martin. Music was furnished by Alexander Andre and Roy Ferrell, and a delicious basket supper was served at midnight.

Column continues with brevities: 

H. H. Shuffleton and son, Ed, made a business trip to Redding Thursday.

James Drew and Sheppard Wickson were Wednesday visitors in Igo.

Mr. Caswell has been very busy past few days surveying a tract of land near Igo for C.P. Mattos.

C.P. Mattos is putting up a substantial wire fence around his big ranch.

Mrs. Ferrell and daughter were visiting friends in Igo Thursday.

Mr. and Mrs. Guy Ferrell expect to leave soon for their future home in Humboldt county.

Mrs. C. S. Kingsbury is suffereing from an attack of of erysipelas.

Albert Vestal and Nellie Lewis were visitors to Igo Wednesday.

Walter Peterson was a visitor in Igo Wednesday.

H. H. Shuffleton appeared before the supervisors Tuesday in the interest of the taxpayers of the county to try and prevent gates from being placed across the public highways of the county. We all hope that he met with success.

The weather for the past few days has been fine and we hope to see all kinds of stock improving.~

1909 June 30, Denver Post (Denver, Colorado) - Eva Steele Married this Morning to California Man - Miss Eva Crasy Steele, the clever artist who has been connected with the Denver Post, was married this morning to Harold Wingate Rogers of Igo, Shasta County, California. The wedding was a quiet one, only the relatives of the bride being present, and the ceremony was performed by Rev. Dr. Houghton at St. Mark's Episcopal Church at 11 o'clock.

Mrs. Rogers is a talented and very attractive young woman, and the daughter of A. W. Steele, cartoonist on The Post. She wore a white tailored suit and carried white roses. Tonight Mr. and Mrs. Rogers leave for California, and their home will be in Igo.~

1910, A fire in Igo destroyed Leiter's Store; Gus Leschinsky's hotel, saloon and lodging house; two barns; an unoccupied blacksmith shop and the home of Mrs. Parsons. Total damages were estimated at $20,000.~

1911, Redding Record Searchlight, Today in History, 17 Oct 2011 for 1911: "When Miss Alma Wright of Igo became the bride of James Rust, she crossed over the Siskiyou County line soon after their marriage ceremony on a honeymoon trip and found herself outside the confines of Shasta County for the first time in her 22 years of life."~

1939, Redding Record Searchlight - Frank H. Beal was sentenced to pay a $25.00 fine or serve 12 days in the county jail today after a hearing before Judge Alice Couey of Igo to answer the charge of having venison in his possession. Beal pleaded guilty and made arrangements to pay the fine.

Beal was cited by Charles Love, Game Warden at Bell Cow Mine on 26 Jan. Love was accompanied by Captain A.A. Jordon of Redding and Warden Roy W. Anderson of Red Bluff when he made the arrest.~

1939, Record Searchlight - Igo School has the largest enrollment in 20 years with a total of 17 boys and girls in all grades but the seventh. Mrs. Sydnie Jones is the teacher. The enrollment is as follows:

Verne Castagnetto, Albert Jones, Bert Garvin, Emma Jones, Betty Garvin, Donna Plumb, Mary Diehl, Donald Reed, Earl Reed, Donald Diehl, Wanda Reed, Betty Jean Diehl, Barbara Palanca, Dolores Pickett, Yola Pickett, Jimmy Pickett, and Carmel Thompson.~

1964 February 9, Redding Record Searchlight, Today in History, 2014 Feb 9 - "Flames destroyed the historic Igo Hotel and burned it to the ground. Igo residents tried to control the fire with garden hoses until the water supply was exhausted. The hotel had a single resident, Tommy Tye, a retired cowboy."~

2008 on-going, Modern Day Place Names - Ron Jolliff has been researching the current names in the general vicinity of Igo and Ono. For example:

DECK WAY - just west of the "Four Corners" there is a short private road called Deck Way. No one knows who named the road, but locals had some command of the local history. "Deck" was the nickname of Felix Leslie Jones who used to own the property on which the road now exists.

FOUR CORNERS - junction of Gas Point Road, Clear Creek Road, Placer Road, and Platina Road.~