Copper City > Ydalpom

Towns within the Pittsburg Mining District.

1863 April 11, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - COPPER CITY - This new town, which has sprung up in the Pittsburg mining district since the late discoveries of silver and copper in the county, is now in a thriving and growing condition. There are now at that place 40 camps or tents, 7 frame houses, 14 saloons, 6 eating houses, 2 grocery stores, 1 dry good store, 1 blacksmith shop, 1 butcher shop, 1 bakery, besides other places of business reminding one of the early days of California when towns sprung up as if by magic. This town possess one peculiarity seldom seen in other places - it is fenced in by O.R. Johnson and Captain Johnson, of Red Bluff, who claim that they have a title to the town site.~

1863 April 18, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - PETITION FOR A NEW MAIL ROUTE - A petition, numerously signed, has been forwarded to the Post office Department, asking for a tri-weekly post route between Shasta and Copper City and Pittsburg, in this county, where the new silver mines are situated. The rapid increase of the population in that section and situated as they are about twenty-five miles from any mail facilities, renders the establishment of this route necessary, and one that will soon pay its own expenses.~

1863 July 25, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - TURNPIKE ROAD TO PITTSBURG MINES - Messrs J.J. Bell & Co. have completed their toll road from the Sacramento Valley to Copper City, in the Pittsburg mining district with a grade not exceeding fifteen inches to the rod. They have purchased the ferry right of the Worley Brothers on Pit River, and have placed a large and safe boat on the river, which renders it perfectly safe for large freight wagons to cross with ease. This road is one of the most direct routes to the new mines, and will prover a profitable investment to its owners.~

1863 August 8, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Board of Supervisors - Ordered that an election precinct be established at Copper City.~

1864 March 23, The Copper City Pioneer - newspaper published by W. L. Carter made its initial appearance.~

W.D. Olendorf =Medical  Doctor in  Shasta and then Red Bluff, Tehama County, California. In 1855 he announced practicing medicine in Shasta, with Dr. J.A. Raymond, office being a few doors below Rhodes & Co's Banking House.~

Joseph Kessler = Shareholder in Williams & Kellinger Mining Company, Pittsburg District, Shasta County, California in 1864.~

1864 March 26, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California [Same notice as below]~

1864 April 9, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - BRIDGE NOTICE - The undersigned hereby give notice, that they will apply to the board of Supervisors of Shasta county, thirty days from the date hereof, or as soon thereafter as  said Board shall meet and be able to consider said petition, for a license to construct and keep a toll bridge across Pit River, near Copper City, in said county of Shasta, at a point about one mile, or one and a half miles above the ferry now kept, or formerly kept and owned by George Silverthorn, in said county of Shasta. Dated this 25th day of February, A.D. 1864. Signed:  W.D. Olendorf. Joseph Kessler.~

1864 May 2, Copper City School established.~

1864 May 7, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California, Board of Supervisors Meeting for the May Term, 1864 - Petition received from several citizens of Copper City praying for the establishment of a School District at that place. Petition granted and an order made creating Copper City School District, No. 21, to embrace all that portion of township No. 5 north of Pit River.~

1865 September 30, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Judges and Inspectors of Election - Copper City:  R.C. Babcock, Inspector; W.K. Conger, Wm. H. Gooch, Judges.~

1865 October 21, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - TELEGRAPHIC - Mr. Peck will in a few days commence the erection of a line of telegraph from this place [Shasta] to Copper City. Though the line may not pay at once, there is no doubt in the minds of those well posted but that it will be a paying institution in a short time. As a matter of convenience it would be of great utility now.~

1866 February 3, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - WILLIAMS & KELLINGER - This company, the only one now working at Copper City, have been at work constantly driving tunnels. Their main one is now in to where they have struck mineral bearing quartz. The strike took place in the fore part of this week, and created quite an excitement. By next week we hope to be able to chronicle that this company have met with assured success. Their persistent energy and industry deserve a rich reward.~

1867 January 26, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - COPPER CITY - This place, once so promising, is now almost deserted, and its silent streets and vacant buildings give it an air of desolation disagreeable to a live Yankee to behold. Work is entirely suspended on all the quartz claims, and but six or seven men remain in the place. Two years ago it contained a population of two or three hundred.~

1867 February 23, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - COPPER CITY - Unless the Kellinger Company resumes work in the spring, Copper City will probably be left without a solitary white inhabitant. Out of the former population of the place, there is now left but eight men and a few women and children.~

1867 March 9, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - KELLINGER - J.J. Bell informs us that an English company of Swansea, Wales, has offered to lease the Original Williams and Kellinger Mine at Copper City. The company proposes to take possession of and work the claim for a certain number of years, for which privilege the stockholders of the mine will receive a per centage of the total amount realize. The Kellinger Trustees held a meeting at Red Bluff last week to consider the proposition and the probabilities are that it will be accepted. If the arrangement is completed, the new company will proceed to erect smelting works at Copper City for the reduction of the ore preparatory to shipping it to Swansea. Practical miners will also be brought from England to work the claim.~

1867 August 24, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - GOLD EXCITEMENT - Wm. Logan, of Copper City, came in from that place this week and brought information that rich diggings had been discovered on a stream known as First Creek, three miles above Pittsburg. Every man about Copper City has located claims on this creek, and prospecting is going on at a lively rate. Logan showed us eight dollars in gold dust which he panned out in one day. The diggings are located on a narrow bar, extending some two hundred yards parallel with the creek, and the gravel is nowhere over three feet deep. The creek on which this discovery has been made, is about four miles long, and heads on the northeast side of Bully Hill. Logan says the character of the gold found on First Creek is the same as that taken from the Tetrick claim on the south side of Bully Hill.~ [ First Creek - Stream:  Flowed to Squaw Creek, now the Squaw Creek Arm of Shasta Lake.]

1867 October 12, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - ELK - Mr. Brock of Copper City recently killed an elk in the mountains near Squaw Valley, which weighed seven hundred pounds when dressed. A herd of these animals has ranged through the mountains about the head waters of McCloud River for a number of years, but they were very wild and watchful and always eluded the most cautious hunter. Brock has boasted for a long time that he would ultimately get one of them.~

1867 October 19, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - GIVEN UP - Harvey Dickenson moved his family from Churntown to Copper City soon after the discovery of the quartz ledges on Kellinger Hill, and made up his mind to "see the place out." Ledge after ledge was abandoned and finally work ceased entirely on all the claims, and the district was comparatively abandoned. Still Dickenson held on, and waited month after month in hopes that work would be resumed on some of the ledges, or that capitalists would come along a buy up the district and develop rich mines; but no one went near the spot where so much money had been expended without producing any recompense. Dickenson has finally weakened, and announces his intention of abandoning Copper City as a failure. If there is a man in the county deserving of credit for faith and perseverance in the face of discouraging circumstances, that man is Harvey Dickenson.~

1868 August 15, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Election Precincts - Copper City:  George Silverthorn, Inspector; A. Sandford and C.W. Pierce, Judges; H.H. Worley and W. Curl, Alternates.~

1869 May 22, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California -COPPER CITY - We are informed that an English company have lately made a proposition to the Kellinger Company to work the Lellinger Mine at Copper City. The Englishmen propose to work the mine provide they are allowed all the ore they can take out for three years. If the proposition is accepted, smelting works will be erected at Copper City this summer.~

1870 November 26, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - STORE BROKEN OPEN - One night last week the store of Dr. Pierce at Copper City, was broken open and about $50. worth of good stolen. The thieves effected an entrance into the building by cutting a couple of panes of glass from one of the windows. They also attempted to break open the safe with a sledge and would probably have succeeded had they persevered in the attempt a while longer. Pierce was away from home the night the robbery occurred.~

1871, residents received mail addressed to Shasta, 22 miles southwest.

1878 May 11, Copper City School re-established.~

1878 May 21, 4th Class U.S. Post Office established as Copper City, Shasta County, California. Name derived from the Gold Silver Copper Company (1863). Located 30 miles northeast of Redding. (north side of Pit River near the mouth of Squaw Creek.)

Cary M. Fulton First Postmaster.

1878 May 27, San Francisco Bulletin - Pacific Coast Postal Changes - Post Office established:  Copper City, Shasta County, California, C.M. Fulton, postmaster.~

1878 August 8, "The first daily U.S. mail between Reading and Copper City left here on the second instant under the care of Wm. Thompson, proprietor of the rand C.C. Express."

1879 April 9, Sacramento Daily Union, SILVER BRICKS FROM COPPER CITY - The Extra Mining Company of Copper City shipped two silver bricks to-day valued at $3,890. The mine is improving very much, and all others in the district look well.~

1880 May 10, Copper City Post Office discontinued and service moved to Redding.~

1888 July 12, 4th Class Post Office established as Ydalpom, Shasta, California. Located 7 miles east of Baird per Postal Route Map. Ydalpom is a Wintun Indian place name meaning "north lying place." This post office/location name replaced Copper City which had a post office from 1878 to 1880.

Anderson Tetrick was the first Postmaster for Ydalpom.~

1889 February 5, Eliza Miles, Postmaster.~

1895 August 19San Francisco Chronicle, Shasta County Teachers - Copper City School:  Myra Giles.~

1899 January 15San Francisco Call, DEATH AT COPPER CITY - David Porter Miles, a prominent citizen and merchant of copper city, is dead, having succumbed to a stroke of paralysus. He was 49 years of age. A large family survives him.~

1899 March 5, Searchlight, Redding, California - Miss Nellie Lynch, the Copper City school teacher and Miss Bertha Miles of that place were visitors in Redding yesterday.~

1899 March 22San Francisco Call, SHASTA COUNTY'S COPPER MINES - A great deal of attention is being attracted in this county to the Pittsburg mining district abounding in copper and gold ores. Twenty claims were filed in the County Recorders Office on Monday. Within this district is the old Copper city camp. An extremely rich ledge of copper ore is being developed on Bully Hill, and as other copper and a number of free gold strikes have lately been made in the district, unusual attention has been attracted.~

1901 April 26San Francisco Call, SEEKING COPPER IN SHASTA - Captain J. R. Delamar, a millionaire mine owner, has again shown his faith in the copper belt of Shasta County. To-day he took, through his agents, a bond on the Globe Group of copper claims near Copper City, within three miles of the Bully Hill plant, which he recently transferred to corporate ownership. The bond is said to be in a good figure, although the amount is not given out.~

1911 July 8, Sacramento Union - Teachers Appointed - Mabel Couey.~

1912 August 31, Pearl Engle, Postmaster.

1912 October 30, San Francisco Chronicle, California Postmasters, Washington, October 29 - ". . . commissioned today were:  Pearl Engle, Ydalpom. . ."

1915 August 14, Searchlight, Redding, California - TEACHERS CHOSEN - Copper City - Miss Hazel L. Moyer.~

1915 August 30, Searchlight, Redding, California - Miss Hael Moyer departed Monday morning for Copper City, where she will join Mr. and Mrs. Ira Engle on a week's outing on Squaw Creek at Kelly's Place. Miss moyer will open the Copper city School next Monday.~

1919 September 30Red Bluff Daily News - Mrs. S. D. Pierce, who taught school for many years in Tehama county, is teaching at Ydalpom, Shasta county.~

1923 September 21, Searchlight, Redding, California - TO CONSOLIDATE TWO SCHOOLS - Owing to the suspension of mining and smelting by the Shasta Zinc and Copper Company, the population of [Copper City] and Winthrop, or Bully Hill, has fallen off so greatly there are not enough children in Copper city and Winthrop districts to maintain separate schools.

It has been arranged that school will be opened in Copper City next Monday morning with Miss Margaret Monahan of Bully Hill as teacher. She will bring down from Winthrop the four children in her home district. The distance between the two school houses is only four miles. There are six children in Copper City and four in Winthrop.~

1923 October 7, Searchlight, Redding, California - LEAVING COPPER CITY TO GO TO CASTELLA - Ira P. Engle, for twenty-three year the only merchant and hotel keeper in this old gold camp, has bought five acres of ground along the Sacramento River in Castella, and will move his business and buildings to the canyon town in the spring. His large storeroom, hotl, garage, and warehouses will be torn down and the material moved on auto trucks to Castella.

Engle has bought five acres of land between the railroad and the river at the upper end of Castella. He will not only build a store but he will build a summer resort hotel.

There are a fine grove of forest trees and two mineral springs on the tract. Engle is now improving the ground at Castella in the way of doing some landscape work.

Engle's location in Castella is a beauty spot. He will even improve on nature and will spare no money to make his five acre tract a great summer and health resort.~

1924 June 11, Mrs. Mary Sheehan, Postmaster.

1924 August 15, Evening Tribune (San Diego, CA) - Redding, Aug. 15 - Two women are struggling for the position of postmaster of Ydalpom, the post office name of the pioneer mining town of Copper City. Mrs. Ira P. Engle, Incumbent holds the fort.

Mrs. P.A. Sheehan, armed with a commission and necessary receipts, demands that the office be turned over to her. Mrs. Engle holds on, insisting that only a post office inspector can transfer the office. An inspector drops around at Ydalpom about once in three months.~

1931 July 23, Mrs. Ida May Cunningham, Postmaster.

1943 July 31, Ydalpom Post Office discontinued. Service moved to Redding.




1903 June 26, Los Angeles Herald, BIG SMELTER TO BE BUILT - The semi-official announcement is made here [Redding] that the Balaklala Mining Company has contracted with an eastern manufactory for the construction of a million dollar smelting plant at the mine. Peter Kimberley, representing a syndicate of Philadelphia, holds an option on the mine in the sum of $650,000. The news of the proposed construction of a big smelter, which would indicate a sale, and active operations from now on, is joyfully received in Shasta County.~

1906 May 15, Sacramento Union, WILL CONDUCT BOARDING HOUSE AT BALAKLALA - P. J. Anson of Anson & Company, Salt Lake City, visited Kennet and the new town of Coram the past week. His company has the contract for conducting the Balaklala Company's boarding-house at both mine and smelter.~

1906 June 13, Sacramento Union, SECURES BIG CONTRACT - A. G. Frost has secured the big contract for the grading of the Balaklala smelter. From forty to fifty teams will be employed.~

1906 July 27, Sacramento Union, BUSINESS AT CORAM - Several new business houses are already launched at the new smelter camp of Coram. Perhaps the most important next to Golinky's branch store from Kennet, is the well-established lumber business of B.F. Boyd.~

1906 July 29, San Francisco Call, FIGHTING FOR SUPREMACY - The towns of Coram and East Coram, near the new Balaklala, are having quite a fight for supremacy, with the advantages in favor of East Coram where lots are readily sought and where the Southern Pacific has a depot.~

1906 August 4, 4th Class Post Office established as Coram, Shasta County, California. Named for Joseph A. Coram, President of the Davis-Daly Estate Copper Company incorporated in Maine, May 1906 with holdings in Butte, Montana. The site chosen for Coram was below Kennet and 2 1/2 miles north of Copley and along the railroad.

1906 August 4, Henry W. Brown, First Postmaster.

1906 August 15, Sacramento Union, CORAM IS GROWING AND LOTS SELL RAPIDLY -The last lot in the so-called business district of the newly laid-off town of Coram has been sold, and residence lots are going at a rapid rate. One of the best purchasers of business lots was M. Hansen, who has holdings also at the camps of Delamar and Kennet.~

1906 October 6, Sacramento Union, NEW LODGING-HOUSE AT BALAKLALA MINE - The new lodging-house at the Balaklala mine just completed is the biggest in the Northern California mining field. It is four stories high and contains 70 rooms, having accordingly room for 140 men. There is a long reading and recreation hall, extending the whole length of the building.~

1907 January 12, oram School established.  (at mining site now south of Shasta Dam. Coram was also the end of the 9 mile tram line taking gravel to the construction of Shasta Dam).~

1907 January 13Sacramento Union - CORAM NOW HAS SCHOOL BUILDING - Coram, Jan 12 - The new camp of Coram will soon have a going school. The Balaklala company has built and furnished a nice one-story school building for temporary purposes, and a public schoolcommittee on the part of the citizens secured pledges from the business men and people of the community for $62.50 per month for the support of a teacher for the next four months. This is necessary,as the school will not come in for apportioned school moneys till after the first of July.~

1907 May 4Sacramento Union - Coram, May 3 - the school census, which has just been completed, gives Coram 120 children, or more than enough to entitle the district to employ two teachers next year. This is a pretty good showing for a new district that will draw its first public money after the first of July, when the district's organization will be perfected.~

1907 May 24, Sacramento Union, FOUR-HORSE STAGE - A four-horse stage now makes the round trip daily from Coram to the Balaklala and Shasta King mines.~

1907 July 16Sacramento Bee, TO BUILD SCHOOL - One-Year-Old District Plans $8000. Structure - Coram, Shasta County - An election will be called immediately in the Coram school district for the purpose of voting bonds to build an $8000 public school building. This is an unusually large amount for a schoolhouse for a district which has not been in existance for a year, but the indications point to such a growth in population here that a less costly one would not answer the purposes. The Coram school was conducted during the latter part of last term by means of private subscription, the district having been formed too late to receive an apportionment of the school moneys. A temporary building was erected by the Balaklala company, but to properly accommodate the pupils which will be here inside of next year will require a large building.~

1907 August 12, Sacramento Union, IMPROVEMENTS AT CORAM - Time and money are not being spared by the Southern Pacific in its yard improvements east of Coram to the smelter. It is expected that the new depot will be finished next week. It will be a handsome structure, far above most of the depots in Northern California. Building is active in Coram. The evacuation for the Tillotson building is nearly finished and is serving a double purpose. The earth taken away is being used to fill the low ground on Fir Street.~

1907 August 23Red Bluff News - CORAM SCHOOL TEACHERS - The Coram School Board has been very fortunate in securing two very excellent teachers. Miss Nellie E. Braynard of Red Bluff will be principal and teacher of the higher grades, and Miss Louise Hoadley of Martinez will have charge of the primary grades. The school will open on the second of September for the winter term, which will be of  six months duration - Coram Recorder

Miss Braynard has been teaching in the Redding schools.~

1907 October 8, Sacramento Bee - SELL SCHOOL BONDS - Coram, Shasta County - Bonds of the Coram School District in the sum of $8000 were sold yesterday by County Treasurer Dennis, the Bank of Anderson being the successful bidder. The bonds brought $130 premium. They bear 6% interest. County Treasurer Dennis says that the same bonds six months ago would have brought $400 or $500 premium. The proceeds will be used in building a new school house. This was the second time the bonds were offered for sale. A month ago not a single offer was made.~

1907 October 10, Sacramento Union, WORKED SMOOTHLY - The new aerial tramway that extends from the smelter to the mines of the Balaklala company was successfully operated this week. Within a short time it will be handling thousands of tons of ore monthly.~

1907 October 18, Red Bluff News, SMELTER SHUT DOWN - The Balaklala smelter was shut down Saturday night, throwing out of employment some sixty men. Only the Superintendent and watchman are retained.~

1908 February 4, Sacramento Union, NOW FLAG STATIONS - The Southern Pacific has closed down its depots at Coram, Sims and Mott, owing to the slack in business. These places will now only be flag stations. Coram was doing the heaviest business of any station between Redding and Ashland, Kennett excepted, up to the time that the smelter construction ceased at the Balaklala. The Coram depot will be as good as ever just as soon as the Balaklala company resumes operations. The depot at Sims will again be opened when lumbering is resumed in the spring.~

1908 August 22, Sacramento Bee, CONTRACT AWARDED FOR CORAM SCHOOL -Coram, Shasta County - A contract was awarded to-day for the construction of a $7000 four-room school house for this camp. It is to be of the same general outline, and plans as the Kennet school building. At Kennet, all four rooms are already in use,, although at the opening of that camp two years ago there were only two rooms used and only two teachers weere employed.~

1908 December 19, Sacramento Union - Great Day for Coram - Wednesday was another red-letter day for coram, the baby smelter center of the Pacific slope, the second furnace of the coram Plant of the First National Copper Compnay being on that day blown in. It is expected that the converter plant will be finished by the holidays, and the new year will assuredly see Coram climbing the ladder of prosperity to the highest rung.~

1910 April 27, San Francisco Call, COPPER COMPANY TO DISPOSE OF FUMES - SMELTER COSTING $150,000 TO BE INSTALLED SOON AT CORAM - A final agreement has been signed between the farmers' committee and the officials of the Balaklala copper company regarding the disposition of the fumes from the company's smelter at Coram. The Balaklala company has agreed to install a plant to dispose of the fumes by the Cottrell process. The plant will cost $150,000. and will be installed by July 1.~

1910 December 29, San Francisco Call, BALAKLALA SMELTER RESUMES OPERATIONS - SMOKE CONSUMER REMOVES OBJECTIONS OF FARMERS - The Balaklala smelter, which was shut down early in December at the request of farmers whoi complained that the smoke was injurious to crops, resumed today, one furnace being blown in. A smoke consumer has been installed. The smelter employs 500 men.~

1911 July 6. Red Bluff News, RED MEN COMBINE - The closing down of the smelters at Coram has caused such an exodus of residents from that town that it has seemed advisable to consolidate the Coram Lodge of Red Men with the Redding Lodge. This has been done and the former Balaklala Tribe #191, has become merged to Manawa Tribe #201, at Redding.~

1911 July 8, Sacramento Union - Teachers Appointed - Edna M. Behrens.~

1911 July 28, Los Angeles Herald, BALAKLALA SMELTER CLOSED - The Balaklala Copper company has closed down its mines and smelter at Coram for an indefinite period. Judge Morro of the united States Circuit Court decided from the evidence presented by the farmers that the Balaklala was failing to control the smoke from the big plant and ordered the plant closed within thirty-five days. Contrary to expectations, the Balaklala did not fight the claims of the farmers and instead of availing itself of the fulltime granted decided to close at once. This resulted in the discharge of about 500 men from the mine and about 200 from the smelter.~

1911 October 12, Sacramento Union - WILL CLOSE POST OFFICE AT CORAM - Closing of Balaklala Smelter Means Depopulation of Once Prosperous Town - Washington D.C., Oct 11 - By order of the postoficce department, the office at Coram, Shasta county, will be discontinued October 31.

Coram was less than a year ago one of the most properous little cities in Californina having a population of over 1500 inhabitants with fine stores, large hotels and many pretty homes. This was in the days of the operation of the Balaklala smelter. Then Coram claimed the largest tonnage of any point in California north of Sacramento. The little city had a payroll of over $880,000 a month, with a city government planning good streets and sidewalks.

The great smelter closed down a few month ago and since that time Coram has been steadily decreasing in population and business until now the government finds that it will not support a fourth-class post office.~

1912 March 21, George S. Bolles, Postmaster.

1912 October 17, William H. Carroll, Postmaster.

1913 December 4, Harry B. Wilson, Postmaster.

1914 August 25, Sacramento Union, BALAKLALA MINE SHUTS DOWN - The Balaklala Copper mine has stripped to a war basis. All hands but four at the mine and four at the smelter have been laid off. The buckets have been stripped from the aerial tram line. up to the time of the little unplesantness in Europe, the Balaklala was shipping 250 tons of ore daily to the smelter at Kennett or to the smelter in Mason, Nev.~

1915 July 1, George S. Ferguson, Postmaster.

1915 July 1, Los Angeles Herald, JOBS FOR 1000 MINERS - more than a thousand men will be put to work in the Trinity and Balaklala copper mines within a short time, it was announced today by the directors of the mining company.~

1915 August 11, Searchlight, Coram School - The teacher of the Coram school next term will be Mrs. Bigler from the Gladstone mine. Mr. and Mrs. Bigler are moving here.~

1915 August 14, Searchlight, Redding, California - TEACHERS CHOSEN - Coram - Mrs. Mabel Bigler.~

1915 October 28Searchlight, Redding, California - Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Rolls of Coram werein this city Wednesday afternoon. Mr. Rolls brought down the election returns. Only twelve votes were cast in the city of Coram.~

1915 October 30Searchlight, Redding, California - FOR CORAM SCHOOL - The women folks of Coram have arranged to have a dance and entertainment in a hall down town Saturday evening, all for the benefit of the Coram school. The proceeds will be used in purchasing some needed appliances, such as maps, etc. Mrs. George S. Ferguson and Mrs. Mabel Bigler, teacher of the school, are engineering the affair, which is bound to be well attended.~

1915 November 14, Searchlight, Redding, California - Mr. and Mrs. G.M. Couey of Ono, accompanied by their daughter, Miss Clara Couey, were in Redding Saturday to take the evening train for Coram, where they will spend Sunday with their daughter, Mrs. B.D. Bigler, teacher of the Coram School.~

1915 October 28, Searchlight, Redding, California - Mr. and Mrs. W.R. Rolls of Coram werein this city Wednesday afternoon. Mr. Rolls brought down the election returns. Only twelve votes were cast in the city of Coram.~

1917 April 30, Sacramento Union, CORAM POSTMASTER TAKES EXAMINATION - A civil service examination was held in the Redding postoffice Saturday for those who would like to be postmaster at Coram. Freeman B. Cullom, who has been acting postmaster ever since George S. Ferguson left Coram, was the only applicant. Cullom is accountant for the Balaklala Copper Company.~

1917 May 27San Francisco Chronicle, CORAM, May 26 - Miss Wilma Bolles has been engaged to teach the Coram school next term.~

1917 June 18, Freeman B. Cullom, Postmaster.

1919 May 14, Sacramento Union, TO SHUT DOWN MINE - The Balaklala Copper Company mine is to be shut down within a few days, according to a statement issued here today by company officials. They said this action would be necessary owing to a shortage of labor and the fear that a strike of smeltermen at Kennett, three miles from the properties, would spread to the Balaklala mine.~

1921 July 30, Sausalito News, Condensed News of California - Coram - The Balaklala Copper Company has laid off a watchman at Coram. Assuming that he will move away, there will be left only two men in Coram, which a few years ago was an incorporated city. The other male resident is William Wood, who makes his living tearing down houses. When the Balaklala Copper Company's meter was running this place had a population of 2000. There has been no school here for two years. The two-story, four-room school house, that cost $10,000, is falling into decay and it is proposed to sell it as junk.~

1922 April 29, Coram Post Office discontinued and service moved to Kennett.

1923 June 8, Sacramento Bee - SHASTAN HAS NEARLY ENOUGH CHILDREN TO START UP CORAM SCHOOL - Coram, Shasta County - The Coram school district lapsed two years ago and the two-story schoolhouse was sold as scrap. Now that the Balaklala is on the point of starting up again, the district will be revived if possible.

Frank H. Buick, foreman of the Balaklala tramline, has come back to take his old position. Eight children are required to re-establish a school district. As Buick has seven in his own family, he feels confident that another family with a child will come to Coram and fill out the quota.~



Cottonwood, a town 4.5 miles south of Anderson, mostly on the north side of Cottonwood Creek -Post Office - Schools:  Oak Knoll, Cottonwood - Voting Precinct - 

1852 February 20, Cottonwood, Shasta County, California Post Office established near Cottonwood Creek 17 miles north of Red Bluff per the Postal Route Map.~

1852 February 20, Marcus J. Clanton, First Postmaster.~

1852 November 16, G.W. Clanton, Postmaster.~

1852, Marcus J. Clanton established a toll ferry across Cottonwood Creek in 1852 (or earlier) to serve the traffic to and from Shasta and the Bluffs (later Red Bluff). The river boats were coming as far as the Red Bluffs on the Sacramento River and occasionally further north. The Clanton and Lean Ferries were essential to the early commerce of northern California.~

1852, Partners William Lean and J. R. Lasiter established a ferry across Cottonwood Creek near the present day Tehama/Shasta Counties bridges for Main Street Cottonwood and Interstate 5 freeway in 1852. At that time it may have been called Lasiter's Ferry. It is on record as being licensed 10 December 1853, solely to William Lean.~

1853 May 27, David C. Huntoon, Postmaster.~

1853 November 22, William K. Lean, Postmaster.~

1854 September 21, Prices Current and Shipping List (San Francisco, California - Corrrect List of Post Offices in California - Cottonwood, Shasta; William Lane [s/b William Lean, but it is pronounced Lane].~

1858 August 28, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Election - James L. Hart, Inspector; S.B. Sheldon and William Ludwig, Judges.~

1859 August 6, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Election - William Lean, Inspector; G.K. Garrison and William Wilson, Judges.~

1860 March 26, Alexander B. Jackson, Postmaster, Cottonwood, Tehama County, California as a result of the county boundary change.~

1863 November 3, Oak Knoll school established.~

1869 August 4, John A. Brown, Postmaster, Cottonwood, Tehama County, California.~

1872 September 20, Post Office again in Shasta County.~

1872 September 20, Jacob Foster, Postmaster. Said to have run the post office from his tavern on Main Street after the first train passed through Cottonwood to Redding.~

1873 February 8, Weekly Shasta Courier, Shasta California - COTTONWOOD BRIDGE - A Joint High Commission, representing Shasta and Tehama counties, met at Cottonwood on Thursday to examine Cottonwood bridge and report on the condition of the same. Shasta was represented by Messrs. McDonald, Gwin and Garrecht. The report was complimentary to the bridge. Therefore Shasta County pays $400 (scrip). Tehama county pays $490. and the citizens of Cottonwood pay a few hundred more, and the bridge is a free one heretofore.~

1874 January 26, Henry Lyman (Syman?), Postmaster.~

1874 March 10, Jacob Foster, Postmaster.~

1874 March 17, San Francisco Bulletin - Postal Changes - Postmasters Appointed:  Cottonwood, Shasta County, California:  Jacob Forster.~

1877, The Great Register for the County of Shasta, California, listed the following residents:  Antoine BAUNN, Switzerland, Laborer; William Murry CLEVELAND, Ohio, Bar Keeper; Thomas CHAPMAN, Michigan, Laborer; Stephen Davis DAMMON, Maine, Railroad Man; Thomas GRAY, Indiana, Blacksmith; William Franklin HARDMAN, Missouri, Laborer; William HORTON, USA, Farmer; Matthew P.T. KYLE, Pennsylvania, Miller; John George LOVELL, Vermont, Farmer; Elmus NICKOLAS, Pennsylvania, Farmer; William Franklin PRICE, Missouri, Merchant; Eugene Benton RICHARDSON, Illinois, Teamster; Luman Hopkins ROWLEE, USA, Blacksmith; Michael RILEY, Ireland, Laborer; James Oscar SMITH, New York, Physician; Adam SCHUMAN, Germany, Merchant (Tehama County, California); Andrew Madison SMITH, Iowa, Farmer; Adolphe TUPKER, Germany, Carpenter (Shasta Co.).~

1877 August 20, William Knowlton, Postmaster in his small store on Front Street. Knowlton also operated the Wells, Fargo and Company office.~

1881The History and Business Directory for the County of Shasta, California:  Henry ARMENTROUT, Wagon maker; George BILLUP, Merchant; Charles BILLUP, Merchant; Captain H. BOSANKO, Sheep Raiser; Westley BROWN, Farmer; George BUTTERWAY, Carpenter; F. CROWLEY, farmer; Charles FORSTER, Agent Wells Fargo & Company; Jacob FORSTER, Hotel; John FORSTER, Telegraph Operator; Thomas GREY, Blacksmith; E D R JONES, Carpenter; William KNOWLTON, Merchant and Postmaster; William LANE [LEAN], Farmer; Mrs. Wilhelmina LUDWIG, Stockraiser; E. NICHOLS, Farmer; William F. PRICE & Company, General Mechandise; L. H. ROWLEE, Blacksmith; J.O. SMITH, Physician; L. SCHUMAN (with W.F. Price & Co.); Adolph TUPKER, Carpenter.~

1881 July 23, Shasta Courier - List of School District Clerks - Cottonwood, H.H. Shuffleton of Gas Point.~

1886 September 16, Walton W. Felts, Postmaster.~

1886 October 12, San Francisco Bulletin - Pacific Coast Items - Mail service has been established from Cottonwood to Gas Point, Shasta County seventeen miles and back, twice a week.~

1886 December 4, William Knowlton, Postmaster.~

1889 March 26, Camellia Parlor No. 41 of the Native Daughters of the Golden West, Cottonwood, Shasta County, California was instituted this date. The center of the seal is a single Camellia blossom.~

1889 April 25, Solomon S. Crane, Postmaster.~

1893 August 5, Mrs. Virginia S. Martin, Postmaster.~

1895 August 19, San Francisco Chronicle, Shasta County Teachers - Oak Knoll School:  Amelia Blumb, Lottie Kingsbury.~

1897 October 12, Thomas J. McCabe, Postmaster.~

1899 February 21, Searchlight (Redding, CA) Mrs. Kate J. Lean has petitioned for letters of administration on the estate of her late husband, Robert Henry Lean, of Cottonwood. The personal property is valued at $275. She asks for the guardianship of two minor children.~

1899 June 28, Searchlight, Redding, California - Mrs. Ludwig paid Cottonwood friends a visit this week. Mrs. Ludwig owns a large farm west of this place, but now makes her home with her daughter, Mrs. Weaver, who lives near Anderson.~

1899 June 28Searchlight, Redding, California - Miss Gertrude McNamar, teacher of the primary department at Cottonwood, drove to Redding Monday on business.~

1902 May - May Day Edition of the Cottonwood Herald -

"There are four Fraternal organizations in town, and all in a flourishing condition:  Court Cottonwood, Ancient Order of Foresters, No. 8926; Olive Branch Lodge, No. 201, Fraternal Brotherhood; Shasta View, Modern Woodmen, No. 10,489; Oaknole [Oak Knoll] Circle, Companion to A.O.F. Besides there are several social societies that help to keep the community in harmony and good fellowship."

"Cottonwood Gun Club - Members in 1902 included W.L. Rose, T.D. Goodman, Ed G. Carter, John Hutchinson, I.N. Gould, and Jim Long."~

1908 - Miss Marcia Ardley, E.M. Null, and Miss Olive Owens, Teachers, Oak Knoll School.~

1908 December 4, Shasta Courier,(Redding, California) -  Edward G. Carter, a leading businessman of Cottonwood, was a Tuesday morning arrival in this city on legal business. Mr. Carter is the leader of a number of citizens who are fighting the new Anderson high school measure.~

1911 May 23, Sacramento Bee - Cottonwood, Shasta County - The School Trustees have elected the following teachers for the ensuing year:  Principal, Miss Carita E. Miles (re-elected); Intermediate, Miss Hattie McCampbell of Copper City; Primary, Miss Myra E. Giles of Balls Ferry.~

1911 July 8, Sacramento Union - Teachers Appointed - Oak Knoll: Hattie McCampbell and Bessie Maxwell.~

1912 July 17, Joseph C. Ashbaugh, Postmaster.~

1915 March 2, Virginia H. Gould, Postmaster.~

1915 August 14, Searchlight, Redding, California - TEACHERS CHOSEN - Oak Knoll - Miss Ida Heitt, Miss Dorris Bacon and Miss Alma Love.~

1917 May 27, San Francisco Chronicle - Fred Bongers, a storekeeper of Bella Vista, and Miss Alma Love, principal of the Cottonwood schools, were married in Sacramento last Friday. They returned to Bella Vista Monday evening.~

1920 February 11, Virginia H. Rice, Postmaster.~

1923 June 3, Searchlight, Redding, California - EIGHT GRADUATES - Oak Knoll School of Cottonwood closed last week. The following pupils passed the final examination and are ready for their graduation diplomas:  Alfred Seale, Elizabeth Butterway, William Becker, Louis Joseph, Mary Joseph, Hazel Graham, Miriam Morgan and Merle Heer. Elizabeth Butterway and William Becker were present every day, 165 in all, and were never tardy. Hazel Graham was absent only one-half day.~

1923 June 17, Searchlight, Redding, California - TO BE PRINCIPAL IN COTTONWOOD - Miss Myra Giles has been elected principal of the Cottonwood schools for the coming year. She has taught the Lone Tree School near Balls Ferry for a number of years. Miss Giles is a member of the County Board of Education.

Mrs. Helen Dwinell was retained as assistant teacher.~

1923 July 17, Searchlight (Redding, California) - THOMAS J. MCCABE DIES IN HOSPITAL - Kick of a Horse Proves Fatal to Cottonwood Farmer - Woodland, July 16 - Thomas J. McCabe, 66, for thirty-five years a widely known rancher of Cottonwood, Shasta county, died in a hospital here yesterday as the result of a kick in the groin by a horse. He was a native of Indiana.

Surviving are the widow, six daughters and two sons and four brothers and one sister.

Thomas J. McCabe was postmaster at Cottonwood for a good many years.

He had a small farm north of Cottonwood and was one of the first in the district to get the full benefit of irrigation. McCabe was a highly respected citizen.~

1925 February 21, Denver C. Jamerson, Postmaster.~

1933 August 31, Alfred F. Seale, Postmaster.~

1971 July 17, Mr. Manville L. Hatcher, Postmaster.~



The Cove - Located 2 miles north-northwest of the village of Montgomery Creek - Big Bend - 

1880 August 5, Cove School established.~

1883 September 29Shasta Courier, School notes, September 13th:  Cove, primary grade. Enrolled 22, present 12. Building unfinished, seats ditto. Fairly supplied with apparatus. water abundant and pure. Grounds natural. Miss M.M. Blodgett, teacher 2nd grade. Salary, $60.00. Jacob Laub, Clerk.~

1895 August 19, San Francisco Chronicle - Shasta County Teachers - Cove School:  Kate Crocker.~

1899 August 12, Searchlight, Redding, California - Shasta's List of School Teachers - Cove:  Clara Ledgerwood.~

1911 July 8, Sacramento Union - Teachers Appointed - Minnie Burtner.~

1915 August 14, Searchlight, Redding, California - TEACHERS CHOSEN - Cove - Miss Bertha F. Bass.~

1921 January 7, Sacramento Bee - BOARD AUTHORIZES ISSUE OF BONDS - Wengler, Shasta County - The Supervisors have authorized Cove School District at this place to issue $1000. in bonds to build a new school house.

Bonds carried at the election unanimously. The bonds are to become payable in from one to five years.~

1923 March 22, Searchlight, Redding, California - Mrs. Charles G. Hill of Ingot was in Redding Wednesday. She is to teach the school in Cove District in the Big Bend, commencing next month.~


Cow Creek

Cow Creek, stream formed by the confluence of of Old Cow Creek and South Cow Creek, flows 14 miles to Sacramento River nearly 4 miles north-northwest of Balls Ferry - Named in 1846 by John C. Fremont when he observed wild cattle in the area - Emmigrant Ferry across Sacramento River near mouth of Cow Creek - No Post Office - School: Cow Creek became North Cow Creek - (See:  North Cow Creek)

1891 May 16, Free Press, Redding, California - Road overseer of District No. 5 ordered to notify Messrs. Cutter and Forrester to remove all obstructions from the Cutter Road withn twenty days and upon failure to do so, the road overseer to remove the same at the expense of the parties notified.~



Crow Creek

Crow Creek, a stream that flows 7 miles to Roaring River, 7.25 miles southeast of Ono - Named for early settler, Isaac Crow - There is also Crow Flat, an area 10 miles south-southwest of Ono along Middle Fork Cottonwood Creek - and, Crow Gulch, a canyon drained by a stream that flows nearly 4 miles to Beegum Creek, 5 miles southeast of Arbuckle Mountain - 

1860 December 8, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Delinquent Tax List - Crow Creek:  A.C. Richey for horses stock and cattle; William E. Roberts for improvements on land, merchandise, hay, horses, oxen, cattle, wagon and buggy; and. Roberts & Bregantees for hogs.~

1866 December 22, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - ACCIDENT - On Friday morning, 14th inst., James Reagan, Deputy Tax Collector, met with a serious accident near Janesville. He was riding along the Crow Creek canon trail, when someone discharged a gun nearby, which startled the horse so as to cause it to lose its footing and fall on the rocks below.--Reagan appears to have fallen under the horse, and in this way received several severe cuts about the head and face. After remaining insensible for some time he revived sufficiently to mount his horse and ride into Janesville, about two miles distant. Dr. Shurtleff was sent for and dressed his wounds. He is now pronounced out of danger, and recovering as rapidly as can be reasonable expected.~

1867 September 28, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - GOOD CLAIM - Peter Larkin & Co., are said to have the most valuable mining claim in the county. It is located on an extensive flat, at the junction of Crow Creek and Roaring River, a short distance below Janesville. The gravel bank is from tn to twenty feet in depth, and prospects well from the surface to the bed rock. The claim is well provided with hose, pipe, etc. and the gravel is knocked down and well shattered by drilling holes eight or ten feet back from the face of the bank, in which heavy blasts of powder are placed and discharged. This claim pays from fifteen to twenty dollars per day to the hand, and cannot be worked out in the next ten years.~

1873 August 16, Weekly Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Petition for consolidation of Roaring River and Cottonwood School Districts granted [by Board of Supervisors] new District to be known as Cottonwood District and school house to be located at Crow Creek crossing.~


Crowley Gulch

Crowley Gulch, 1.5 miles west of Cottonwood - 

1921 August 6, Sacramento Bee - ORDER BRIDGES - Shasta County Plans Seven New Structures to Cost $30,000 - ...across Crowley Gulch a mile and a half west of Cottonwood;...~

1921 September 8, Sacramento Bee - CONTRACTS LET - ...The Crowley Gulch bridge near Cottonwood will be built by the Cottonwood Lumber Yard for $2,835.00...~

1921 November 30, Sacramento Bee - MANY BRIDGES ARE ERECTED IN SHASTA - County Completes Several Important Concrete Structures This Year - ...Across Crowley Gulch west of Cottonwood is a new bridge of sixty-eight feet...~


Crystal Lake 

Crystal Lake, lake, 4500 feet long, 7 miles east-northeast of Burney - near Cassel - near Baum Lake - No Post Office - Fish Hatchery

1923 September 14, Searchlight, Redding, California - Ad. - FOR SALE - Pure Blood Shorthorns, about 30 Head at Crystal Lake Ranch. Apply to F.G. Baum or J.H. Davis, Jr., Cassel, Calif.~

1947 - present - Crystal Lake Fish Hatchery - "Located near Cassel in Shasta County on the south shore of Baum Lake, a short distance downstream from Crystal Lake. The hatchery consists of 24 raceway type ponds, 6 residences, and operations buildings. Construction started in 1947 with Wildlife Conservation Board funds. This was the first large undertaking with these funds. The ponds were put in operation in October 1947.

During the first year of operation, a serious infection of ceratomyxa caused heavy losses of fish. During the next year, heavy losses necessitated changing the water supply from Crystal Lake to Rock Creek, a small stream adjoining the property.

Crystal Lake Hatchery was completed July 1955 at a total cost of $272,299.43. It furnishes catchable-sized trout for Modoc, Lassen, and eastern Shasta Counties.

The property on which the hatchery is situated was originally owned by Frank G. Baum, widely known for his pioneering in hydoelectric power. Remains of his homemade powerhouse at the Crystal Lakes falls are still in evidence. His outstanding electrical inventions and designs are widely used in modern hydroelectric powerhouses today.

Baum Lake was ranked with the outstanding Canadian lakes for its large brown trout by a national fishing magazine." - A History of the California Fish Hatcheries 1870-1960~



Within the Old Diggings Mining District. Located 1.5 miles south-southeast of Motion along the Southern Pacific Railroad. Cuargo was the junction point of the Southern Pacific and Quartz Hill Railroad and was at the end of the Sacramento River footbridge.

1908 September 29, Sacramento Bee - WANT STATION CHANGED - S.P. ASKED TO MAKE CUARGO A STOPPING PLACE - A petition is in circulation asking the Southern Pacific to make Cuargo instead of Central Spur the stopping place for passenger trains. These stations are directly across the river from Whitehouse, or Old Diggings, and are nearly half a mile apart. Cuargo is the junction point of the Southern Pacific and the Quartz Hill Railroad and is at the end of the river bridge which the public uses. Central Spur is almost half a mile south of Cuargo. This was a convenient place for Old Diggings people to take the trains when the river was crossed by the cable route. As it is now, people walk from Old Diggings, or Whitehouse, to Cuargo and then down the tract to Central Spur. It is believed that the Southern Pacific will grant the request when the wishes of the traveling public are made known.

Cuargo has had a hard time of it over its name. The junction point was first called Quartz. Then the railroad company thought that was too common and decided to adopt the Spanish word for "quartz." A bulletin was there upon issued making the station name "Curago." This name was soon discovered to be spelled wrong. Another bulletin was issued making the correction and fixing the name at "Cuargo." Now, an old Spanish scholar of the camp declares that the proper spelling of the Spanish word for "quartz" is "Cuarzo."

1915 May 7, Searchlight, Redding, California - FOOTBRIDGE FOR OLD DIGGINGS - The supervisors have given Supervisor Welsh authority to spend $250. in helping to provide a footbridge across the Sacramento river for the accommodation of the people of Old Diggings. Since a part of the Mammoth Copper Company's bridge across the river at Cuargo was washed out last winter, the people have no way of crossing.~

[The new footbridge was built, but not at Cuargo. It was moved to Central Spur. See articles under Central Spur.]


Daingerfield Ferry

Ferry - Sacramento River - Mouth of Bear Creek - Court of Sessions - Board of Supervisors - Lower Road, ran via Daingerfield's Ranch, which was south of Clear Creek - 

L. P. Daingerfield = LeRoy Parker Daingerfield, Jr. (1825 - 1904) younger brother to the well-known Judge William Parker Daingerfield (1824-1880). Sons of LeRoy Parker Daingerfield, Sr (1786-1862) and Juliet Octavia Parker Daingerfield (1797-1856).~

R.N. Slack = Robert N. Slack, M.D.

1853 October 22Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - NOTICE - Notice is hereby given to all whom it may concern, that Leroy Daingerfield and R.N. Slack will make application, at the next December term of the Court of Sessions to be held in and for the county of Shasta, State of California, for a license to establish and keep a Public Ferry across the Sacramento River, in said county, at a point opposite the ranch of said Slack & Daingerfield, at the mouth of Bear Creek, and about five miles below the Immigrant Ferry. signed:  Z. Montgomery, Attorney for Applicants, October 22, 1853.~

1853 December 7, Ferry across the Sacramento River at the mouth of Bear Creek licensed by the Shasta County Court of Sessions for Daingerfield.~

1854 December 9, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - NOTICE - Is hereby given, that the undersigned will apply to the Honorable the Court of Sessions for Shasta County, at the next regular term thereof, for license to keep a ferry across the Sacramento River, at a point three miles above Major P.B. Reading's and about four miles below the Emigrant Ferry - the point at the mouth of Bear creek where the present ferry kept by the undersigned now stands. Said license will be sought for twelve months. Signed:  L.P. Daingerfield & Co. Nov 6, 1854.~

1855 June 9, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Board of Supervisors, May 10, 1855 - Ferry privilege granted to L. P. Daingerfield & Co., 12 months from date.~



Dana, a village 8.5 miles north-northeast of Burney Falls - Loren Dana settled here in 1860's and built a sawmill - See:  Anderson Historical Society website for article on Dana - 

1888 March 9, A 4th Class Post Office established as Dana, Shasta County, California located 14 miles northwest of Fall River Mills per the Postal Route Map. Named for the Loren Dana Family who operated a lumber mill there.

1888 March 9, Elmer D. Boyes, (Boyce) First Postmaster.

1891 July 24, Ethan Boyes, (Boyce) Postmaster.

1891 September 12, Mrs. Elizabeth A. Boyes, (Boyce) Postmaster.

1898 May 21, Charles E. Archer, Postmaster.

1900 October 1, John H. Crum, Postmaster.

1902 January 14, Hiram F. Crum, Postmaster.

1903 March 27, Samuel O. Rock, Postmaster.

1904 April 19, David Ripley, Postmaster.

1904 April 20, San Francisco Chronicle - New Postmasters named, Washington, April 19 - California Postmasters appointed to-day:  Dana, Shasta county, David Ripley.

1907 December 16, Louis Brewster, Postmaster.

1920 November 2, Red Bluff Daily News - Advertisement - 162 ACRE RANCH FOR SALE - In Fall River Valley, Shasta county, 100 acres meadow land, balance timber and grazing land; good buildings and improvements; 20 head stock cattle; 1 team young mares; all farming implements; 60 tons hay. Price $8,000., terms if desired. For particulars address T.R. Elder, Dana, Shasta Co., Calif.~

1921 March 4, Born - to Mr. and Mrs. Cecil Day at Dana, Shasta Co., a daughter.

1929 January 3, George Brewster, Postmaster.

May 1967, Early Day Life in Dana by Josephine Bosworth for a local history class instructed by Richard Roberts. Excerpts: 

"Dana Town is on the main road leading to Bartle, Sisson [now Mt. Shasta] and McCloud. Dana was a stopping place for the teamsters and mail stages going from our valley to Bartle. Bartle was about 20 miles from Dana. There was a hotel at Bear Flat about where the Pondosa Road turns off the Highway 89 and that was a stopping place for the teamsters enroute to Sisson.  At Dana there was a hotel, post office, two-story store and a livery barn for the teamster's horses. Our freight was brought from Sisson where there was a railroad station. Heavy laden wagons, filled with all kinds of freight, were driven with four, six or eight horse teams. This necessitated stopping places for the teamsters about every ten, fifteen or twenty miles. These stopping places were Sisson, Elk Lawn, Bartle, Bear Flat, the Hill Place, about one mile north of Dana, Dana, Glenburn and Fall River Mills."~

"Above Dana, about 7 or 8 miles, was the Florin Lumber Mill on Bear Creek. It was run by water power and the penstock was made of even sized logs. It ws quite fascinating to look at. The Florin Mill was built by the three Florin Brothers, Ernst, Louis and Fred. They logged the timber with oxen. The feed was so plentiful that they turned the oxen out at night and let the feed all night and caught them in the morning and used them to bring the logs into the mill. The Florins also had a Sash and Door factory in Fall River Mills, just on the bank of the river above the rapids. Here they made all kinds of wood products, even caskets. We had four roads that led to the Florin Mill. One via Erickson's, one on the Hill Road and one in between the Erickson and Hill roads that went past Charley Eastman's homestead. We could also go on the Boyce Road to Bear Flat and cross over the hill to the Florin Mill. At Dixon Flat there was a sawmill owned by Chase and Sanborne. In the 1880's they had their Post Office at Burgettville. This was later known as Glenburn. This was quite a distance to go for their mail."~

"Our Ft. Crook school was a winter school, but we had a summer school at Soldier Mountain District, about 3 or 4 miles out in the timber." ~

1976 April 29, Inter Mountain News - 10th article in a series by Lillian Kent and Norman Smith. Most of the information obtained from the Fort Crook Museum.

The town of Dana was named for a man by the name of George Dana [Loren Dana, George's father] who owned a large acreage of the property around Dana. His place comprised the two heads of Fall River, Big Springs (or Rainbow Springs) as some call it, now the property of Zareda Jensen; and the other head is comprised of a Million Springs, heading Mallard Creek, a branch of Fall River with springs large and small coming out of the lava. This place is now owned by Dr. Vincent Meyer, these two branches come together about a half mile below the Rainbow Springs.

Mr. Dana had a sawmill just below the Rainbow Springs, run by water power, supplying local residents with necessary lumber in the 1880's. The first School House was on his property, and was called the Fort Crook School District. 7 August 1877, it was a Log House, and was on the corner between the road and the present school building, this housed the school from the 1880's until the new school was built sometime before 1890. This school was in operation continually until Unification of the Districts.

Last July 26, 1964, Mrs. Sadie McKay Hayes, a teacher in this district in 1894, came to visit the School House together with two of her former pupils. Recalling many memories she taught the nine grades from one to ninth, our playground equipment was the small pine trees, large enough to climb up and swing back and forth, the games were Town Ball (baseball), Hide and Seek and Teeter Board - a board balanced on a log.

Christmas was the one feature of the year, a program with all participating, a large Christmas Tree decorated with popcorn strings and numerous Christmas candles lit to give brilliance to the occasion, the branches laden with gifts for all. No fear of fire in those days. Some of the pupils walked from one to five miles distant to attend, if the snow was frozen they walked on top of the snow or came on snowshoes, some were fortunate to have a horse to ride so would pick up those along the way, as long as there was room enough on the horse's back.

At one time Dana comprised of a Post Office, Hotel Stage Stop, Herod's General Merchandise Store with a large hall on the second story where many Holiday dances were held to the music of Bosworth's Orchestra - the orchestra consisted of four pieces, Violin, Bert; Clarinet, Curt; Guitar Gell and Organ, Birdie Hulsey Melone and Rachel Peck Brown (Willard Brown's mother). They began playing in the early evening and continued until daylight the next morning, coming in sleighs from Cayton Valley, during wintertime. Other enjoyments for the community were Play Parties at different homes in the winter time. Summer time found all too busy for parties. Beyond Dana, one mile, was the Hill Hotel and stopping place. Mr. Hill had made a competitive road joining the Boyce Road at Dixon Flat, claiming not so much hill to travel. However, today the main road travels the old Boyce Road over the Boyce Grade and the Hill Road is almost abandoned.

At one time the Hill place had a Post Office named Alpha, which was in existence just a few years as well as a newspaper, Alpha Daily, printed there for about the same length of time. The newspaper was of short duration and we do not know of any copies in existence.

In 1916, Mr. and Mrs. Henry Harden took over the hotel and Stopping Place for several years. One year in the 1890's Mr. Hill experienced a great loss of cattle resulting of deep snow, a thaw that caused flood waters around his home and many of his cattle were drowned as well as frozen in the flood waters thus causing them to be left for several weeks until the thaw came so they could be removed. Of course all neighbors helped in any way they could.

The changing of ownership of much of the property around Dana has made a different picture from the original one. The Fort Crook District School House still stands but is gradually being destroyed, to our sorrow.~


Deer Flat

Deer Flat, 10.5 miles west-northwest of Lassen Peak, along Deer Creek, stream flowing 2.5 miles to North Fork Battle Creek 12. 5 miles west-northwest of Lassen Peak - No Post Office -

1889 February 9, Free Press - Redding, California - FROM DEER FLAT - Deer Flat is about twelve and a half miles east of Shingletown. The weather is fine and clear, but somewhat cold. The thermometer however, has only been to 18 degrees above zero.

We had about nine inches of snow about a week ago, but the ground is getting bare in places now. The prosects are that we will have but little snow this winter, which will result in our having a scanty supply in the mountains next summer.

Our precinct, Mountain Home, went unanimously for the bonds.

There is some talk of petitioning for a post office at the Eureka Mill. Mr. Zinn says he will take charge of it. He also talks of keeping a grocery store and shoemaking and blacksmithing businesses. That would be a good thing and we are all in favor of it. [see: Zinn]

The Free Press is a better paper than I expected; glad I subsctibed.  - B.F.L.

1892 February 20, Free Prsss - Redding, California - William Wolf is staying alone at Deer Flat now, taking care of the property.~ 



1918 March 22, A 4th Class Post Officee established as Deerhaven, Shasta County, California located 3 miles north of Hazel Creek in a meadow where deer liked to graze.

1918 March 22, Raella Ferguson, first and only Postmaster.~

1919 June 14, Deerhaven post Office discontinued and the service moved to Hazel Creek.~



 Often spelled Delamar or DeLamar, located near Sallee, South Sallee and Copper City serving Bully Hill mines and smelter -

1891 February 25, San Francisco Bulletin - The Delamar Mines Sold - A deed transferring the Delamar group of mines in Idaho to a London syndicate has been placed in escrow today with the Boise City National Bank until the money arrives from Europe. The purchase price of the mines is said to be $400,000. and the stock will be put on the London market in 300,000 shares of $1. each. J. R. Delamar retains 200,000 shares, or one-half the capital stock.~

1895 March 29, San Francisco Call Bulletin, Captain DeLamar, owner of the famous Monitor and Jim Crow mines in Ferguson District, Lincoln County, Nevada, has patented an improved cyanide process, which, it is claimed, gives greater speed in treatment by 50 per cent than that now applied, and reduces the average cost per ton for working ores.~

1899 July 17, San Francisco Call Bulletin - The Bully Hill group of four copper claims near Copper City, in Shasta County, have not yet been sold to Millionaire Delamar for $350,000. as reported a day or two ago. The owner, James M. Sallee of San Francisco, returned here on Saturday with Captain Delamar's representative, Mr. Hartwig Cohen, but the deal has not been closed, though it likely will be. This is the most important mining deal pending in the State just now and if effected will be one of the most important of recent years. It would mean copper mining operations and the erection of a smelter on something like the scale of the Mountain Copper Company at Iron Mountain and Keswick, and it would mean the development of a large and rich copper belt and further enterprises. A year ago the property, on which considerable development work has been done, was bonded for $275,000 to L.A. Snowden and others, who failed to float the proposition in the East and in London before the bond expired on July 1. Mr. Sallee raised his price $75,000. but Captain Delamar is figuring on the proposition while Redding hopes and prays.~

1899 September 12, Searchlight, Redding, California  - DE LAMAR VISITS BULLY HILL - The Millionaire Copper Operator Inspects His New Property - Captain J.R. DeLamar of New York and Salt Lake, millionaire copper operator and man of the world, has just paid a visit to his newly acquired property at Copper City. Captain DeLamar, accompanied by his financial agent, Hartwig Cohen, arrived in Redding Sunday morning. The gentlemen were driven at once to the Bully Hill mine. They returned Monday evening and took the night train for San Francisco, whence they proceed to New York....~

1899 December 30, Searchlight, Redding, California - DeLAMAR OWNS THE PROPERTY - Decision Rendered in a Case Involving Shasta County Mines - United States Circut Judge Morrow by a decree handed down Thursday has settled a very important case, involving the ownership of several valuable copper mines in Shasta County.

The suit was brought originally by Hugh McDonnell against James Sallee. This was followed by the filing of a cross-complaint against McDonnell by J.R. DeLamar, who set up ownership.

Judge Morrow's decree adjudges DeLamar to be the absolute and exclusive owner. The decree further sets forth that the complainant McDonnell has no estate, right, title or interest at law or in equity therein or thereto in any one of the mines named.~

1900 January 20, San Francisco Chronicle - The title to the Bully Choop [s/b Bully Hill] mine which was clouded by an adverse claim, has been cleared, according to the Red Bluff People's Cause and Captain Delamar, who bought the property some months ago for $250,000., will complete the payment at once. An expert is also on the ground arranging for the erection of a suitable smelter.~

1900 - Established as a community in 1900 and located in the Pittsburg Mining District of Shasta County (along Squaw Creek) and about 30 miles northeast of Redding. Named for Captain Joseph DeLamar (1843-1918) the community came about as housing and services for the laborers of the Bully Hill Mine purchased by Captain J.R. DeLamar from James Sallee (1849-1916). Delamar had communities of the same name in Idaho and Nevada also serving his mining holdings.

1900 March 9, Sacramento Bee - A SMELTER TO BE BUILT NEAR REDDING - A refinery and a smelter is to be established in the vicinity of the Bully Hill mine recently acquired by Captain J.R. Delamar. This statement was given out by Hartwig A. Cohen, financial representative of Mr. Delamar. Work will be commenced within ten days.~

1900 April 1, Red Bluff Daily News, A town has been located and laid out at the Delamar smelter up in Shasta, which will be called Sallee.~

1900 October 3, Sacramento Bee - DRIVING OUT THE CHINESE - Shasta County Towns Will Not Have Them - Redding, October 3rd - Two Chinese who were to have been employed as cooks at the Bully Hill copper mining property were Tuesday met by a delegation from Copper City, taken out of the stage and started back on foot. They were warned not to return.

The Celestials passed through Redding Tuesday morning on their way to the mines. The citizens of Copper City, Sallee and Delamar, towns in the vicinity of the Bully Hill, heard of the intended importation of Chinese labor. A mass meeting was held and the action decided upon which was carried out.

Shasta County is perhaps the banner anti-Oriental labor county in the State. There are neither Chinese nor Japanese in Keswick or Redding. They are not allowed to remain here.~

1902 July 11, Los Angeles Herald, FIFTEEN HOUSES BURNED, News has been received of a serious fire in the town of Delamar [Shasta County.]  As a result of the explosion of a lamp in McConnell's Saloon, a fire was started that consumed fifteen houses in the upper portion of the mining camp before it was brought under control. The loss is estimated at $20,000.~

1903 May 16, San Francisco Call Bulletin - BULLY HILL BOOMS - There is renewed activity at Bully Hill, in Shasta County. The Redding Free Press describes the situation as follows:  The resumption of operations by the Bully Hill Copper mining and Smelter Company at Delamar has awakened that camp from the lethargy consequent upon the abandonment of active operations in October, 1902, and to-day the camp is a hustling village of 500 souls. Every neglected industry has been revived and the future promises the most prosperous season in the history of the camp.  Copper City and Sallee are also influenced by the general awakening and vacant houses are becoming noticably few. Every stage brings additions to the population of these thriving camps. Superintendent Keating has in service at the mine and smelter about 250 men and this force will probably be increased to 400 as the season advances.~

1904 July 15, Weekly Searchlight - Redding, California - Sam Black, the proprietor of the Johnson House at De La Mar, was here Wednesday evening on the way to San Francisco on a visit.~

1904 July 19, Weeky Searchlight, Redding, California - TEACHERS AT DELAMAR - Three teachers will be employed next term in the schools at DeLaMar, Winthrop District. They have been engaged as follows:  Miss Alice M. Dailey, principal; Miss Wolcott, Intermediate; Miss Bertha Miles, Primary.~

1906 July 27, Sacramento Union, The proposed railroad connection between the smelter camps of De La Mar and Kennet, a distance of eighteen miles, begins to look like a reality. Manager W.D. Riordan of the Bully Hill mine has announced that the road will be built.~

1911 August 15San Francisco Call, DELAMAR BEREFT OF RESIDENCES BY FIRE - TOWN HAD SIMILAR VISITATION ONE YEAR AGO WITH GREAT LOSS - The Methodist Episcopal church and 12 small dwellings in the northern part of this town were destroyed by fire late today. The total loss was about $6,500. This fire robbed the town of virtually all of its residences. A year ago all of Delamar's business houses and several dwellings were burned.~


Delta > Slate Creek > Bayles > Delta

Within the Dog Creek Mining District.

1871, Sim Southern and J. S. Cameron kept an Inn. Washington Farleigh, Hotel Propreitor; E. Phillips, General Merchandise. Mail for residents addressed to Shasta, 39 miles south.

1875 August 10, 4th Class Post Office established as Delta, Shasta County, California. Named for the Greek letter formed by the intersection of the Sacramento River and Dog Creek at the site.  Some folks called their community Dog Creek, however, that was the name used more for the headwaters than the mouth of the stream. There was also a mountain peak called Delta Point 1 1/4 miles southeast of LaMoine. The route of the railroad tended to follow along the Sacramento River. Original location 24 miles southwest of Dunsmuir.~

1875 August 10, William T. Smith, First Postmaster, Delta Post Office.

1877 February 7, "Delta is the name of a new postoffice lately established at Dog Creek."

1880 June 3, Delta Post Office discontinued. Post Office moved 4 miles north and name changed to Slate Creek, Shasta County, California. Located 5 miles north of Bayles. Named for type of rock exposed by the creek.

1880 June 3, James S. Smithson, First Postmaster for Slate Creek.

1881 March 30, Edward J. Curtis, Slate Creek Postmaster.

1882 November 20, Francis "Frank" M. Whitlow, Slate Creek Postmaster.

1884 December 4, 4th Class Bayles, Shasta, California Post Office established located 5 miles south of Slate Creek and 6 miles north of Smithson. Named for Abrham M. Bayles who was also the  first postmaster.

1885 June 18, Slate Creek Post Office discontinued and service moved to Bayles.

1885 August 14, Wheeler C. Blumberg, Bayles Postmaster.

1887 January 3, Mark R. Hardin, Bayles Postmaster.

1898 January 10, Mrs. Vercilla A. Sanders, Bayles Postmaster.~

1898 January 13, Los Angeles Herald, Commissioned postmaster:  Mrs. H. L. Sanders at Bayles, Shasta County, California, vice Mark R. Hardin resigned.~

1898 June 14, Red Bluff Daily News -  ANOTHER MINING INDUSTRY - A new industry, the product of which will materially add to the mineral wealth of Shasta county, has been inaugurated on Slate Creek, near Delta. A company of Oakland capitalists secured control of the slate beds on Slate Creek and has placed a force of men at work quarrying the stone, which will be used for roof-tiling. - Free Press.

1899 March 8, Delta School established.~

1899 March 9, Free Press, Redding, California, Board of Supervisors - The Supervisors created four new school districts yesterday--The Delta and Sweetbriar districts in Sacramento River Township were two for Supervisor Cahow...~

1899 August 12Searchlight, Redding, California, Shasta's List of School Teachers - Delta:  Grace Rathburn.~

1908 February 21, James P. Beard, Bayles Postmaster.

1910 August 29, Sacramento Union - HOTELMAN DIES AT YREKA - RESIDENT OF DELTA, SHASTA COUNTY, IS CALLED - David Whalen, saloon keeper and hotel man of Delta, died at Yreka yesterday afternoon and was brought here (Redding) on the 2:35 this morning. The body was taken to the T. J. Houston Undertaking Parlors.

Mr. Whalen formerly ran a stage line between Delta and Carrville. He married his second wife, Miss Eva Jones, a former school teacher of the county, nearly ten years ago. He also leaves a brother, James, at Castella, another brother, Thomas, who was formerly of Old Diggings, but now of San Francisco and a sister in San Francisco. He has no children.~

1911 July 8Sacramento Union - Teachers Appointed - Sarah H. Frisbie.~

1912 November 11, Boston Journal (Boston, Massachusetts), Redding, Cal., Nov 8 - Bandits Loot the Shasta Limited - The north-bound Shasta Limited, the Southern Pacific Coast Train deluxe, was held up and robbed and one bandit was killed at Delta. thirty miles north of here tonight.  A companion of the dead bandit escaped with the registered mail. None of the passengers was injured. A plucky brakeman nearly frustrated the robbers and accounted for the one killed.~

1915 March 1, Sacramento Union - The following fourth-class postmasters in Northern California have been appointed:...Bayles, James P. Beard...~

1915 August 14, Searchlight, Redding, California - TEACHERS CHOSEN - Delta - T.D. Johnson.~

1915 December 3, Searchlight, Redding, California - Gus Peterson, proprietor of the Delta Hotel, returned to Redding from a week's stay in San Francisco Thursday evening. While he was at the bay, he attended the wedding of his sister, Miss Caroline Peterson and W.S. Brunner of LaMoine. Mr. and Mrs. Brunner have gone to Ohio on a visit. Mr. Peterson will leave this morning for his home and buisniess in Delta.~

1918 May 20, Annie B. Beard, Bayles Postmaster.

1923 June 9, Searchlight, Redding, California - Mrs. Elsie (Kidder) Hodgkins, teacher of the school in Delta, is in Redding on a brief visit with her mother, Mrs. W.S. Kidder, and sister, Miss Della Kidder.~

1929 August 14, Mrs. Nellie L. Stillson, Bayles Postmaster.

1944 March 1, Mrs. Louella McVey appointed Postmaster at Bayles.

1945 June 13, Mrs. Louella McVey, Bayles Postmaster.

1948 May 1, Bayles Post Office discontinued as the Delta Post Office was re-established.

1954 June 30, Delta Post Office discontinued and service moved to Dunsmuir in Siskiyou County, California.




Digger Creek

1. Stream flows 19 miles to North Fork Battle Creek, 2.5 miles west-southwest of Manton - Part of Shasta Tehama Count Line - 2. Stream flows 1 mile to Digger Bay, 3 miles north-northeast of Summit City, Shasta County - Unknown at this time where the Jefferson School was located -

1899 March 8, Jefferson School District established.

1899 March 9, Free Press, Redding, California - Board of Supervisors -...and Jefferson District in the Digger Creek section...

1908, Clemence Stiltz, Teacher, Jefferson School.~

1911 July 8, Sacramento Union - Teachers Appointed - Clemence L. Stiltz, Jefferson School.~


Dog Creek

Dog Creek, Shasta County, California - Stream, flows 7.5 miles to Sacramento River nearly 3 miles south-southeast of LaMoine - Named in 1852 Census of Shasta County as a locality; mining camp - Named as an Election Precinct in 1858 -

1855 May 19, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - DOG CREEK - There are some three or four hundred miners on this creek at the present time. Our reports from there are quite favorable. Many claims are yielding well. We have long thought that the diggings upon the Upper Sacramento would prove among the best in the county.~

EXPRESS TO DOG CREEK - Charley Uhl has established a weekly Express from Shasta to Dog Creek, for the purpose of carrying letters, papers, packages, etc., to the miners of Dog Creek and the surrounding localities. This is a thing much needed, and we have no doubt that the people of that section will fully appreciate Charley's enterprise.~

1858 August 28, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Election - S.F. Southern, Inspector; A. Lyttie and James Cameron, Judges.~

1859 August 6, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Judges and Inspectors of Election for 7th Day of September, 1859 - Dog Creek:  James Cameron, Inspector; Michael O'Shea, Andrew Lytle, Judges.~

1860 October 13, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Judges and Inspectors of Election for6th Day of November 1860 - Dog Creek:  Neil McNulty, Inspector; P.J. Quinn, Andrew Lytle, Judges.~

1861 August 17, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Judges and Inspectors of Election - Dog Creek:  P.J. Quinn, Inspector; Andrew Lytle, B.P. Gibson, Judges.~

1862 August 30, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Judges and Inspectors of Election - Dog Creek:  J. Cameron, Inspector; Andrew Lytle, B.P. Gibson, Judges.~

1863 October 17, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Officers of Election - Dog Creek: J.P. Christoler, W. Henwood, Judges; J. Cameron, Inspector.~

1864 October 29, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Judges and Inspectors of Election - Dog Creek:  James Cameron, Inspector; James Christoler, D. Phillips, Judges.~

1865 August 26, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Judges and Inspectors of Election - Dog Creek:  Alfred Hall, Inspector; Robert Jamison, Robert McCall, Judges.~

1866 July 28, Shasta Courier, Shasta California - SPECIAL MEETING OF THE BOARD OF SUPERVISORS - Dog Creek is a precinct in District Number 3; H. Burtt, Clerk; Earl Barney and Benjamin Snow, Judges; E. Phillips and James McKenzie, Alternates.~

1866 November 17, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - W.H. Gooch informs us that the miners on Dog Creek are making active preparations for mining during the coming winter, and he anticipates a prosperous season for both miners and traders in that locality.~

1866 November 17, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - CALIFORNIA LION - Last week, while Robert Foster and his partner were out hunting near Gooch's place, on dog Creek, they suddenly came upon a California lion, when the latter immediately leveled his gun and fired at the animal,inflicting a slight wound. This enraged the beast, and uttering a fearful howl he plunged at the man who fired the shot, but foster put a bullet through the monster before he grappled his partner. - The animal measured 9 1/2 feet from tip to tip and weighed 180 pounds.~

1867 August 31, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - DOG CREEK - W.H. Gooch reports times prosperous on Dog Creek, and says a large amount of gold dust has been shipped from there this season. Quite a number of new claims have been opened on the creek, nearly all of which have paid well. Quartz is attracting the attention of a number of the miners, and some prospecting is being done in that line, with encouraging results. Politically, Dog Creek is sound on the union question, and will give a large majority for the straight Union ticket.~

1868 May 27, San Francisco Bulletin - SHASTA COUNTY ITEMS - ...We learn that W.H. Gooch, of Dog Creek, met with quite a serious accident on Monday last. While driving his team along the Dog Creek road, the horses became frightened and ran away, throwing Gooch from his seat, breaking his leg and otherwise injuring him...~

1868 July 4, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - GOLD - It did one's eye good to look upon the pile of gold which Gooch brought from Dog Creek this week. Most of it was coarse, from the size of a pea to pieces weighing two ounces. Dog Creek bears the palm as a mining camp in this county.~

IN TOWN--Our old friend Gooch, of Dog Creek, was in town this week, so far recovered from his late accident as to be able to travel around with the aid of a crutch. He reports times good and moneu plentiful in his locality.~

1868 August 15, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California -Election Precincts - Dog Creek:  W.H. Gooch, Inspector; A.J. Crane and J.B. Campbell, Judges; George Burtt and J.W. Ferleigh, Alternates.~

1869 May 29, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - DOG CREEK - A. McPhee reports very few miners at work on Dog Creek this season. The late spring rains have kept the water in that stream up so high that miners have been unable to commence working their claims in the bed of the creek. The new mines on Slate Creek are attracted considerable attention, and are thought to be extensive.~

1869 December 25, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - DOG CREEK - We are informed that no store will be re-established at Dog Creeek, as reported some time since. Gooch will, however, run his wagon down from Slate Creek occasionally and deliver all the supplies the boys order from his establishment. By the by, Gooch proposes to issue a proclmation in a few weeks which will interest everybody in his territory who desire to purchase cheap goods and supplies.~

1871 June 17, Shasta Courier, Shasta, Callifornia - KILLED - On the 9th instant, James Bard shot and killed Edward Stacy at his cabin on the Sacramento below the mouth of Dog Crrek. Bard, the only witness, states that Stacy shot at him first and that he killed Stacy in self-defense. Bard presented himself before Justice Knox for examination and was discharged on the plea of having acted in self-defense. Coroner Schuler empaneled a jury and held an inquest on the body of Stacy and the result was a verdict that Stacy came to his death by a rife shot "deliberately fired" by Bard.~

1872 August 31, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - DOG CREEK PRECINCT - (township no. 3) Commence at the West side of the Sacramento River at the mouth of Motion Creek, thence up Motion Creek to the summit of the mountain between the Sacramento River and Clear Creek. Thence in a northerly direction along the summit of the mountain to the head of Bowlder Creek; thence down Bowlder Creek to the Sacramento River across said river and run in an easterly direction to McCloud River, at a point just below the mouth of Squaw Valley Creek, thence down McCloud River to Pit River and down Pit River to the Sacramento River to the place of beginning.~ [must research, but think it should be Boulder Creek]

1881, History and Business Directory Shasta County - Dog Creek is four miles north of Fremont. Angus McPhee and his uncle, a Mr. Cameron, kept a store at the Dog Creek House from 1856 to 1864. The mines on Dog Creek at that time were full of miners who as a general rule made big wages, and who spent their money freely. Cameron and McPhee made a great deal of money. In 1864, George Burtt bought out Mr. Cameron, who went home to his adopted country, Canada, where he shortly afterward died. Messrs. Burtt and McPhee ran the store and hotel for a season, when Burrtt bought out McPhee, who alkso went to Canada and has since died. Burtt ran the property for a few years, when he had the misfortune to have his store burned. However, he had it partly insured. Burtt then sold the property to G.W. Farleigh, who manipulated the property for a short time, when he sold to William T. Smith, who built up quite a trade in the grocery business. Smith ran the property until 1880, when he sold out to Louis Autenrieth, its present owner. The soil of this p[lace is adapted to the raising of alfalfa and grain hay. There is also a fine orchard that bears excellent fruit. The mines of Dog Creek are nearly exhausted.~

1899 December 29, Searchlight, Redding, California - PROOFS OF LABOR -Filed Dec. 28th:  Charles Orewiler:  McCaul Gulch and Slatonis quartz claims in Dog Creek Mining District.

Fred Volkmann:  Fairy and Nugget quartz claims in Dog Creek Mining District.~

1904 July 15, Weekly Searchlight, Redding, California - DOG CREEK LOCATIONS - Joseph T. Cooney has staked out four mining locations in the Dog Creek district, naming them Main Strike, Belvedere, Oaks and Mountain. The notices have been filed for record.~



1890 April 3, A 4th Class Post Office named Dolde, Shasta County, California located 5 miles southwest of Redding named for Arnold C. Dolde.

1890 April 3, Arnold C. Dolde, first and only postmaster.

1893 March 29, San Francisco Chronicle - The post offices at Dolde, Shasta County, Cal., and Chester, Spokane County, Wash. have been ordered discontinued.~

1893 April 15, Dolde Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Redding.~


Dutch Gulch

There are 2 Dutch Gulch locations in Shasta County - this one is the canyon drained by a stream that flows 2.5 miles to French Gulch stream, 1 mile west-northwest of the village of French Gulch -

1870 February 26, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - NUGGET - ...A thirteen ounce nugget was found in Dutch Gulch, in the neighborhood of French Gulch, recently.~


Eagle Creek

Eagle Creek, stream flows nearly 7 miles to North Fork Cottonwood Creek - Voting Precinct - School - mining - farming -

1852 April 8 - The Court of Sessions, our first Shasta County government, on 8 April 1852, authorized Henry Hooper to divert Eagle Creek [water] so far as consistent with private rights.~

1857 April 24, Daily Globe -A Bold Robbery - On Tuesday night, April 14th, the house of Mr. Hubbard, on Eagle Creek, between Horsetown and Bald Hills, in Shasta County, was entered and an inmate robbed of $124. Two men started in pursuit of the robber, and coming up with him, were told to stand at their peril. As they were unarmed they could do nothing, and the robber went his way unmolested.~

1857 May 29,  First date given for Eagle Creek School District being established.~

1858 August 28, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Election - James Lemmon, Inspector; W.K. Conger and Alex Andrews, Judges.~

1859 May 7, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Board of Supervisors - Eagle Creek School District created.~

1859 June 25, Shasta Courier - Election held at John's Saloon; Judges: P.F Terbush and James Lemmon.~

1859 August 6, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Election - P.F. Terbush, Inspector; Sam. Donnels and J.H. Baker, Judges.~

1860 October 13, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Election - P.F. Terbush, Inspector; S.S. Dunnels, D. Titus, Judges.~

1861 August 17, Shasta Courier, Shasta, Califronia - Election - S.S. Donnels, Inspector; Peter F. Terbush, Frederick Gordon, Judges.~

1862 August 30, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Election - P.F. Terbush, Inspector; S.S. Donnels, A.R. Andrews, Judges.~

1863 October 17, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Election - S.S. Dunnels, Inspector; C. McManus, T. Jones, Judges.~

1864, October 29, Shasta Courier, Shasta California - Election -  S.S. Dunnels, Inspector; Albert Butts, T.A. Jones, Judges.~

1865 November 11, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - - Board of Supervisors - Ordered, that the name of election precinct "Prairie Diggings" be changed to"Eagle Creek."

11 December 1867, Sacramento Daily Union - MARRIED - At Eagle Creek, Shasta county, Dec. 5, by Rev. James N. Newkirk, Rev. Wm. S. Kidder to Mary E. McFarlin; also, By Rev. Wm. S. Kidder, Thomas B. Smith to Martha A. McFarlin.

1868 August 15, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Election Precincts - Eagle Creek:  J.A. Baker, Inspector; J. Frank and H.W. Adkins, Judges; Valentine Doll and George McFarlin, Alternates.~

1869 February 13, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - TAKEN POSSESSION - Mr. Gillson has taken possession of the property on Eagle Creek known as the Hubbard ranch.~

1871, Pacific Coast Business Directory - Eagle Creek residents received their mail from Horsetown Post Office.

1871, Pacific Coast Business Directory - Businesses: J. M. Frank, Wine Manufacturer; E. R. Jones, General Merchandise; and E. & L. Scott ran a Hotel.

1871 March 18, Shasta Courier, Shasta California - BORN - At Eagle Creek, March 12, the wife of W.S. Kidder, of a daughter. [Matha Frances "Marnie" Kidder]~

1871 May 13, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - Eagle Creek Precinct - W.S. Kidder, Clerk, and H.W. Adkins and John Wheelock, Judges.~

1871 June 3, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - EAGLE CREEK SCHOOL REPORT - Roll of Honor for the month ending May 26th.:  Lizzie Miller, Marty Murphey, Beretha Ruster, Susannah Stuck, Ida Wheelock, Emma Frank, Sarah Simpson, Mary Drew, Marcia Moralis, Anita Moralis, Charlie Wheelock, Charlie Gary, Willia McFarlin, Andrew McFarlin. Lorin Scott, Willie Taylor, Mathia Stuck, Jackson Stuck, Johnnie McFarlin. Total number pupils enrolled, 33. Signed:  Ellen Wills, Teacher.~

1872 August 3, Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - ELECTION NOTICE - Notice is hereby given to the qualified Electors of Eagle Creek School District that an election will be held on the 17th day of August at which will be submitted the question of building a new School House between Eagle Creek and Bald Hills, and levying a tax for that purpose. It will be necessary to raise for this purpose the sum of $250.00 or $300.00, and the rate of taxation necessary to be upon the one hundred dollars of taxable property in the District. The polls will be opened at the public school house between the hours of 10 to 4 o'clock. Signed:  Henry Gary, J.M. Frank, School Trustees. July 27th, 1872.~

1873 December 6, Weekly Shasta Courier, Shasta, California - SCHOOL REPORT - Report of Eagle Creek School, Shasta County, Cal., for the month ending Nov. 28th, 1873.

Total number of pupils enrolled, 29; number of days attendance, 355 1/2; number of days absence 25 1/2; average daily attendance, 19; average number belonging, 21; per centage of attendance on wjole number belonging, .90.

Names from The Roll of Honor:--Deportment--Bertha Ruster, Ida Wheelock, Ella Taylor, Susanah Stuck, Lillie jones, Lizzie Miller, Lucinda Donalson, Emma Frank, Charlie Wheelock, Willie Taylor, Mathias Stuck.

For Scholarship--Lizzie Miller, Lillie Jones, Emma Frank, Ida Wheelock, Annie Frank, Ettie M. Wheelock, Edward T. Shuffleton, Charlie Wheelock, Arthur A. Baker, Charles H. Scott.

Signed:  Anna Manasse, Teacher.~

1874, January 11, JLG Family Notes - BORN - At Eagle Creek to William Samuel Kidder and Mary Elizabeth McFarlin Kidder, a son, Charles William Kidder.~

1877, Per the Great Register of the County of Shasta For the Year 1877, the residents, where they were born and their occupations while giving Eagle Creek as their place of residence. Parenthesis indicate where naturalized.

According to David L. Durham, Place-Names of California's North Sacramento Valley, the stream called Eagle Creek flows nearly 7 miles to North Fork Cottonwood Creek.

Henry William ADKINS, England, Farmer, Eagle Creek, (New Orleans, Louisiana); John Thomas ADKINS, Louisiana, Stockraiser, Eagle Creek; John ANDERSON, Georgia, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Almareane Welberne BAKER, Kentucky, Miner, Eagle Creek; George Washington BARNES, New York, Lumberman, Eagle Creek; F.M. BARNETT, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; E. BOHANNON, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; James BARNES, Kentucky, Farmer, Eagle Creek; John BRANNAN, Germany, Miner, Eagle Creek, (Shasta County); Andrew Culbston BRIGMAN, Missouri, Farmer, Eagle Creek; John Louis BRANER, Ohio, Teamster, Eagle Creek; Henry CHAPMAN, Ohio, Miner, Eagle Creek; James DREW, USA, Blacksmith, Eagle Creek; Ferdinand DOLL, Germany, Farmer, Eagle Creek, (Shasta County); Valentine DOLL, Germany, Farmer, Eagle Creek (Shasta County); Levi DAVIS, Ohio, Carpenter, Eagle Creek; Josiah William Patrick DAVIS, Ohio, Printer, Eagle Creek; Albert J. DONALDSON, Iowa, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Madison James DOWNING, Missouri, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William DONALDSON, Iowa, Farmer, Eagle Creek; spaceholder for #491; James Madison FRANK, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; David FRANK, Jr., USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Watrous GAGE, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Eleazer GILLSON, Canada, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Stephen Return HUBBARD, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; John HOLLIDAY, USA, Miner, Eagle Creek; Charles Leonard HUBBARD, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Gottlieb HOWE, Germany, Farmer, Eagle Creek (Rochester, New York); George HALMOTH, Germany, Farmer, Eagle Creek (New York); Edward Ricketts JONES, USA, Ditch Owner, Eagle Creek; Isaac Alfred JAMISON, Missouri, Stock Herder, Eagle Creek; William Mac JAMES, Missouri, Stockraiser, Eagle Creek; James KELL, Ohio, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Leonard LONGMIRE, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William LOVE, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; George McFARLIN, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William MILLER, Ireland, Miner, Eagle Creek (Philadelphia); Ramon MORALES, Chile, Miner, Eagle Creek, (Shasta County); George McALLISTER, Pennsylvania, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Irvin McCORMICK, Illinois, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William Carr MAVITY, Indiana, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William Columbus NICHOLSON, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; Cornelius O'BRIEN, Ireland, Miner, Eagle Creek (Shasta County); John Marion POST, Arkansas, Farmer, Eagle Creek; James PETERSON, Denmark, Farmer, Eagle Creek (Shasta County); John RUSTER, Germany, Farmer, Eagle Creek (Shasta County); Charles Gottlieb ROSSIE, Germany, Blacksmith, Eagle Creek; Thomas RIOS, Chile, Miner, Eagle Creek; Joseph REDENCKS, Portugal, Miner, Eagle Creek; Charles SCHIRMAN, Switzerland, Farmer, Eagle Creek (St. Louis, Missouri); George Kaylor SMITH, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William Garrett SMITH, USA, Miner, Eagle Creek; Alanson TAYLOR, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; John Jones WHEELOCK, USA, Farmer, Eagle Creek; James Allen WEBB, Virginia, Farmer, Eagle Creek; William Parker WRIGHT, Tennessee, Farmer, Eagle Creek.~

1878 January 21, JLG Family Notes - BORN - At Eagle Creek to William Samuel Kidder and Mary Elizabeth McFarlin Kidder, a daughter, Jessie Mae Kidder.~

1880 April 24, JLG Family Notes - BORN - At home, Eagle Creek, to Mary Elizabeth McFarlin Kidder wife of Rev. William Samuel Kidder, a daughter, Charlotte Sarah "Lottie" Kidder.~

1881 July 23, Shasta Courier - List of School District Clerks - Eagle Creek, James Frank of Igo.~

1892 May 14, Free Press, Redding, California - Upon petition duly filed it is ordered that the name of Eagle Creek School District be changed to Ono School District.~