Mill Creek

1936 April 16, 4th Class Post Office established as Mill Creek (Village), Tehama County, California located 4.25 miles east/southeast of Mineral. 

William H. Foster, First Postmaster.

1943 June 16, Mrs. Merle L. Foster, Postmaster.

1943 September 15, Mrs. Beatrice M. Foster, Postmaster. 

1946 November 15, William H. Foster, Postmaster.

1973 December 31, Larry Mansfield, Officer In Charge.

Changed from 4th Class to community post office of Mineral and then to a Summer Post Office.


Mill Creek Fish Hatchery

1874 January 26, San Francisco Bulletin (San Francisco, CA) - The dam which raised the water in Mill Creek, Tehama, and supplies the power of the North Star Flouring Mills, was carried out by the recent high water.~

1902 - 1945 - Mill Creek Hatchery

This federally owned establishment near Los Molinos, Tehama County, was operated in 1912 by the California Fish and Game Commission. Salmon eggs collected at Sisson Hatchery had been hatched at Sisson, but prospects for the coming season were unusually promising, and it was believed that the hatchery capacity would be exceeded. Therefore, by agreement with the federal bureau, the State operated the Mill Creek facility.

Mill Creek rises in the foothills in the northeastern part of Tehama County and empties into the Sacramento River about a mile above the town of Tehama. Salmon were captured by racks installed in the stream. The Bureau of Fisheries operated this hatchery in conjunction with Battle Creek and Baird Hatcheries. In 1945, work here was incorporated into operations of the newly built Coleman National Fish Hatchery. - A History of California's Fish Hatcheries 1870-1960 by Earl Leitritz, Inland Fisheries Branch, Fish Bulletin 150, 1970, State of California

1901 June 18Evening News (San Jose, CA) - NEW FISH HATCHERY PROMISES TO PROVE SPECIALLY SUCCESSFUL - Local sportsman are interested in the announcement made that the fish hatchery recently established by the united States Fish Commissioner on Mill Creek, in Tehama county, about two miles north from the town of that name, is giving promise of becoming one of the most important in the State. A leading fish culturist says that while but one retaining dam is in position there and the plant is yet in a crude condition, there are great prospects ahead for the new site chosen for the propagation of fish.

This is made especially true, he says, by the fact that salmon seem less inclined each year of late to come as far up the Sacramento as had been their spawning habit of previous years. This is occasioned, it is contended by some, through the waters of the Sacramento river being impregnated with slag, consisting of fine glass like particles for many miles below Redding.

The slag is from the Keswick smelter. It is said to enter the gills of the fish and eventually kill them. The take of eggs at the famous Baird and Battle Creek fisheries in Tehama county [s/b Shasta County] has diminished yearly since the installment of the big smelting plant named.

Great interest is being shown by the members of the Fish and Game Association of the county in all efforts to advance the growth of young fish, and the failure of other hatcheries in Tehama county [Shasta county} on account of the slag in the streams has made the subject a matter of special concern.

The efforts to have the local streams stocked with 150,000 trout fry is considered most promising and the outlook for good sport another season is prime.~

1902 October 4, Evening Tribune (San Diego, CA) - Tehama, Cal - United States Fish Commissioner Leroy Ledgerwood with a crew of men from the Battle Creek hatchery has arrived here. They are now preparing to commence operations at Mill Creek hatchery, which is located about two miles north of here on about the 25th inst. or immediately after the first rain of the season when salmon are expected to commence running quite freely.

A force of twenty men employed by the Northern California Power Company has arrived here from the south. They will work south from here to Corning and Vina and north to Red Bluff erecting new poles and wires, also putting up new transformer buildings and putting in new transformers at the several different points. It is estimated that one month's time will be required to complete the work.~

1904 December 18, Anaconda Standard (Anaconda, MT) - San Francisco, Dec. 18 - The Mill Creek hatchery is now engaged in preparing  a shipment of 1,000,000 salmon eggs for South America. This shipment will leave Tehama on Dec. 22 for New York, where it will be transferred to a steamer leaving there for Buenos Ayres.~

1906 January 23, Salt Lake Telegram (Salt Lake City, UT) - Tehama, Cal., Jan 23 - A shipment of 1,000,000 salmon eggs to New Zealand will be made today from this point by the Mill Creek Hatchery.~

1912 February 4San Jose Mercury News- A million young salmon have been planted in Mill Creek near the hatchery. J. Kimmeriek, who has had charge of the hatchery for the past two years, has been promoted to take charge of the station at Reno, Nevada, and will leave at once for his new post. He will be succeeded by J. Hopper of Baird.~

1935 July 8Riverside Daily News (Riverside, CA) - " Funds requested. . . repairs to fish hatcheries included Tehama on Mill Creek, Calif., $15,000; Anderson on Battle Creek, Calif., $12,000.~

1938 April 15 - 1939 Jan 1, E. L. McKenzie of Red Bluff served as a Fish Commissioner.~



1894 June 4, 3rd Class Post Office established as Mineral, Tehama County, California, located 35 miles northeast of Red Bluff. Named for mineral springs in vicinity. Designated Summer Post Office.

John I. Morgan, First Postmaster.

1897 June 7, Emma Morgan, Postmaster.

1902 March 1, Post Office moved 6 miles west with Bert L. Hampton, as the new Postmaster.

1925 July 3, Harold K. Beresford, Postmaster.

1928 July 7, Mrs. Catheriene Beresford, Postmaster.

1961 October 13, Miss. Edythe E. Engebretsen, Postmaster.

1962 August 31, Miss Edythe E. Engrbretsen, Postmaster.


Missouri Bend

There was a Missouri Bend along the Sacramento River at the Sutter-Yolo County line, but I think this article dated 1857 refers to one also on the Sacramento River at the Butte/Tehama county line vicinity of McIntosh Landing.

1857 July 27, Daily Globe (San Francisco, CA) - The Red Bluff Beacon says that A. M. Sadorns of Missouri Bend, in Tehama County, on Friday, the 10th July, met with a serious accident, by which his collar bone was broken, and he was otherwise badly bruised. Mr. S. was out on horseback gathering up some stock, when his horse became frightened and jumped off a precipice from twenty to thirty feet; his escaping with life is almost a miracle - his many friends will be glad to hear that he is fast recovering.~


Moon's Ranch

1847, "After his release from military service, Ford [Henry L. Ford (1822-1860)] again went to the Sacramento and, in April 1847, became a partner of William C. Moon, whose ranch then became known as the Moon and Ford Ranch. Moon was an old hunter and trapper who had come to California with the Workman party in 1841 and possibly before in 1834. He had been an associate of "Peg Leg" Smith, who credited Moon with saving his life several times from the Indians 'on the Plains.' In 1845 Moon squatted between the Saucos and the Capay ranchos, but never received a grant. He died at Tehama May 31, 1878."

1850, "By 1850, Nathaniel Merrill, a cousin of Ford, had arrived at the Moon and Ford ranch and was employed as clerk, bookkeeper, and ferryman. In 1852, he became postmaster at the same place. Merrill and August Eastman took up farming on the ranch, which in 1852 had an assessed valuation of $15,580."

1851 September, "Ford was elected the first assemblyman from the newly formed Colusi County, receiving 47 of the 98 votes cast in that sparsely populated county."

1851 October 21,  MOON'S RANCH - 4th Class Post Office established prior to  21 October 1851 (Daily Alta California Newspaper dated 29 July 1851 reported post office established) in Colusa County. In Tehama County when created 9 April 1856. Named for owner of the ranch and trading post located 13 miles south of Tehama.

Nathaniel Merrill, First Postmaster. 

1853 June 17, George Eastman, Postmaster.

1854 October 31, Nathaniel Merrill, Postmaster.

1855 December 1, Daily Placer Times and Transcript - Tragedy at Moon's Ranch - We are indebted to the express firm of Wines and Co. for the following letter, written by Mr. R.A. McCabe, messenger for Rhodes & Whitney, between Shasta and Sacramento, detailing the particulars of a tragic occurrence at Moon's Ranch, Sacramento Valley, on Thursday last:

Moon's Ranch, November 29, 1855:  Mr. McDonald was killed by a Kanaka, whom he was endeavoring to remove from an Indian camp, on Moon's Ranch, where he (the Kanaka) was causing some disturbance, being drunk and having a pistol in his hand. The Indians sent for McDonald, who was superintendent of the ranch to protect them. On taking hold of him the Kanaka shot McDonald through the head, killing him instantly and then escaped to the woods. Two men started immediately in pursuit. On overtaking him they called on him to lay down his weapon or they would shoot him. His reply was that he would as soon as die then as any time. One of the pursuers aimed at him, his gun, however, missing fire. He stepped behind a tree and called to his companion to shoot or the Kanaka would kill him. He let fly and shot the Kanaka through the head, killing him instantly. - J. A. McC.

*Just as the Native American was referred to as "Indian"; the Pacific Islander was called "Kanaka." The Pacific Island workers (Kanakas) in California were usually from the Sandwich Islands (Hawaii).~

1857, "Ford sold 1,280 acres on the Sacramento, this being his interest in the Moon and Ford ranch, and also sold 500 acres which were originally a part of the Lassen rancho."

1859, R.T. Nonett serving as Postmaster.

1887 November 7, Moon's Ranch P O discontinued and the service moved to Tehama.


Morgan Springs

AKA Morgan Hot Springs. Note:  Morgan Mountain and Morgan Summit (Highway 36) are also named for R. W. Morgan.

Located about 2 miles northwest of Childs Meadows on the north bank of Mill Creek and named for Richard William Morgan, an 1857 settler.

1864, R.W. Morgan sold to his brother, John Morgan who built a resort.

1894 June - Post Office within hotel.

1915 July 13, Post Office established with William E. Hamlin as postmaster; however, the order was  rescinded and there is no record of operation or location in the Post Office Department archives.





1872 September 3, 4th class post office established located 23 miles west of Corning. Paskenta means "under the hill," a Wintu Indian term referencing "at the foot of the Coast Range."

Henry M. Elkins, First Postmaster.

1878 June 13, Isaac Haberland, Postmaster.

1881 February 14, Alfred Beall, Postmaster.

1884 April 25, Willey J. Ellis, Postmaster.

1886 March 6, James Shelton, Postmaster.

1891 November 19, Zimri P. Dyer, Postmaster.

1908 July 25, Lafayette W. Warmoth, Postmaster.

1921 September 10, printed in the Red Bluff Daily News as "90 years ago" on 10 Sep 2011: 14 Buildings Destroyed By Fire At Paskenta - The south side of Paskenta was nearly all destroyed by fire today, the damage running into thousands of dollars. Fourteen buildings in that vicinity were burned to the ground, and the few remaining structures in that vicinity were saved only through  heroic efforts of volunteer firemen and citizens, who fought desperately to prevent the fire from spreading over the entire town. Among the buildings destroyed was the Paskenta Hotel, a landmark of the town.~

1924 August 30, San Diego Union - New forest fires in California have resulted in the destruction of a lumber mill and the threatened destruction of at least one forest settlement, it was reported today by the United States Forest Service headquarters.

The mill was that of Hilliard Lumber Company near Paskenta, Tehama County, in the heart of California National Forest. An uncontrolled fire raging up Elder Creek destroyed the mill.

The settlement of Sweetwater, in the Sierra National Forest is threatened. The fire is along the El Portal Road, near the point where Bear creek enters the forest and is growing worse hourly the service reported.~

1925 January 21, Mrs. Rubenia M. Kerling, Postmaster.

1930 December 15, William Lee, Postmaster.

1939 May 11, Mrs. Norma L. Morrell, Postmaster.

1945 October 23, Mrs. Verla J. Morrell, Postmaster.

1949 October 1, Frederick W. Branham, Postmaster.

1950 March 31, Joseph N. Railton, Postmaster.

1957 December 10, Mrs. Frances M. Whitlock, Postmaster.


Paynes Creek

1890 January 7, 4th Class Post Office established as Paynes Creek, Tehama County, California, located 12 miles northwest of Lyonsville and 20 miles east of Red Bluff. The creek and the community are named for James S. Payne (or Paine), an early settler and small sawmill owner. The creek may have been known as Beaver Creek before 1868 per early maps.

Phebe M. Anderson, First Postmaster.

1893 November 29, John W E Conard, Postmaster.

1897 December 31, Jessie G. Anderson, Postmaster.

1905 August 29, Harry Folger, Postmaster.

1909 April 15, William F. Burns, Postmaster.

1911 December 8, Laura A. Ellis, Postmaster.

1914 August 6, John T. Gibbons, Postmaster.

1914 August 8, Sacramento Union - NAME CALIFORNIA POSTMASTERS- Washington D.C.. Aug 7 - The following fourth class postmasters for offices in California have been named: . . .Paynes Creek, Tehama county, John T. Gibbons.

1918 April 12, Luella J. Matlack, Postmaster.

1929 April 13, Ralph H. Matlack, Postmaster.

1929 August 12, Adah Fowleer, Postmaster.

1931 December 24, Mrs. Peal L. Sproule, Postmaster.

1936 February 21 Mrs. Vera G. Conover, Postmaster.

1939 March 30, Mrs. Vera G. Apperson, Postmaster.

1943 December 15, Mrs. Alberta Cassolin Riggs, Postmaster.

1946 March 21, Mrs. Louise E. Thompson, Postmaster.

1948 November 16, Jesse L. Hayton, Postmaster.

1951 April 30, Mrs. Thelma L. Steen, Postmaster.

1967 December 15, Mrs. Dorothy Marie Lake, Postmaster.

1973 May 11, Changed from 4th Class Post Office to Community Post Office of Red Bluff.

See also:  Wagon Wheels, Journal of the Colusi County Historical Society, Spring 2009, Volume 59, Number 1, Page 52.



1888 March 12, 3rd Class Post Office establsihed as Proberta, Tehama County, California, located 8 miles northwest of Tehama and 6 miles southeast of Red Bluff per the Postal Route Map. Named for Edward Probert. grantee of a right-of-way to Southern Pacific Railroad.

Tobias Kindlespire, First Postmaster.

1891 April 18, Henry C. P. Morse, Postmaster.

1893 August 4, A.J. Godbolt, Postmaster.

1893 November 11, Tobias Kindlespire, Postmaster.

1896 January 15, Mary M. Webber, Postmaster.

1897 September 17, Joel G. Wright, Postmaster.

1899 April 3, Henry Cremers, Postmaster.

1900 May 2, Thomas L. Brooke, Postmaster.

1902 April 3, Nancy A. Trewblood, Postmaster.

1910 June 18, Florence M. Burris, Postmaster.

1915 February 25, Maude H. Parsons, Postmaster.

1915 February 28, Red Bluff Daily News, A LADY IS NAMED FOR PROBERTA P.O. - In the list of post office appointments made yesterday was the name of Maud H. Parsons, who is named as postmistress at Proberta.~

1915 March 5, Red Bluff Daily News, POST MISTRESS AT PROBERTA READY - Maude H. Parsons, who was recently appointed postmistress at Proberta was in Red Bluff yesterday and prepared her bonds through M.J. Cheatham to take charge of the office.~

1935 April 1, Mrs. Flora Anna Lanphear, Postmaster.

1936 August 19, Lester F. Totten, Postmaster.

1937 November 17, Fred M. Mills, Postmaster.

1959 July 31, Jean F. Johnson, Postmaster.

1917 October 20, Chauncy T. Burgess, Sr., Postmaster.



Red Bluff

1853 October 17, RED BLUFF(S) - 1st Class Post Office established 17 October 1853 in Shasta County and came into Tehama county when created 9 April 1856. Named for the red colored dirt/bluffs of the Sacramento River. There were no post offices when site was called Leodocia and/or Covertsberg. Located 12 miles northwest of Tehama. Samuel Bishop was the first Postmaster. J. R. Bradway held the position in 1859.~

1854 June 6, Daily Placer Times and Transcript (San Francisco, California) Railroad Convention at Red Bluffs -  - The Marysville Herald of yesterday contains the proceedings of the Railroad Convention at that place, composed of delegates from several of the counties of the State. The Hon. J.W. McCorkle was chosen President, and James McClatchy and G. E. Winters, Secretaries. Delegates appeared from Colusi, Butte, Shasta, Siskiyou, Yuba, Trinity and Sacramento counties. A committee was appointed to draft resolutions which reported a series recommending the selection of a central route through the great South Pass, and asking the co-operation of the people of Oregon as well as of the masses of this State, in setting forth the advantages, the practicability and claims of the route known as Noble's Pass, the selection of which Pass is urged in the body of the resolutions with great zeal. A committee was appointed to raise contributions for the survey of the route through Noble's Pass, consisting of Gen. James Allen, Col. J. Forman, Major P.B. Reading, Judge J.W. McCorkle, Capt. D. Finch, S. Comstock, and J.D. Crosby, and another to accompany the engineers on their survey, composed of Major P.B. Reading, John Driebelbis, W. Harrison, G.W. McMastry, and Col. Toomes, after which the convention adjourned.~

1854 August 11, Daily National Intelligencer -One of the most daring robberies on record was committed recently at Red Bluffs, California. The thief or thieves succeeded in abstracting from the safe of Mssrs. Bull, Rucker and Co. the sum of $10,080 in money, while at the same time eight persons were asleep in the room containing the safe, one of the sleepers being Mr. Bull, the chief partner. The key was taken from his pocket and the money carried off without awakening any of the sleepers.~

1855 May 2, Wisconsin Free Democrat- Mr. John A. Veatch, a resident of Red Bluffs, Shasta County, California, has recently discovered a salt spring some six miles from that place which promises to prove exceedingly valuable.~

1856 February 5, Sacramento - One of the worst riverboat disasters in California history occurred today when the steamboat Belle, bound for Red Bluff, exploded opposite the Russian Ford, 11 miles from here.

It is estimated that as many as 30 passengers and crew members were lost in the accident. The entire boat, with the exception of some 40 feet of the aft portion, sank immediately. The steamer General Reddington, on the downward trip, reached the scene shortly after the blast and took care of the survivors.

Captain Charles H. Houston of the Belle is among those known to have been killed. Among the injured is the well-known Major John Bidwell of Chico.~

1857 May 12, Los Angeles, - J. J. Tomlinson of Red Bluff arrived today with seven six-mule teams and 25 men on his way to the Gadsden Purchase to commence a 15 months' contract to haul copper ore for a wealthy San Francisco company.~

1858 August 7, Daily Globe- A new line of mail stages have been placed on the route between Sacramento City and Red Bluffs. The stages pass through Tehama, Colusi, Knight's Ferry Landing and Fremont.~

1859 November 26, San Joaquin Republican- A new Court House will be erected in Red Bluff for Tehama County.~

1861 February, Red Bluff Daily News, The monthly conference of the Red Bluff Baptist church took place last Saturday and was well attended. Rev. W.S. Kidder, from Piety Hill, was present.~

1861 April 2, Providence Evening Post - William Montgomery and Louisa Long eloped together and were married at Red Bluff, Cal., the ceremony being performed while they remained on horseback, prepared for the emergency of an alert parent. (See entry under Lassen's)~

1861 December 3, San Francisco Bulletin- EXECUTION AT RED BLUFF - Last Friday Jesus Barraza, a murderer, was hanged at Red Bluff, in terms of his sentence. The doomed had been confined in his cell for nearly a year. This was the first legal execution in Tehama County.~

1864 January 9, Alexandria Gazette - A case involving one hundred and sixty acres of land with several millions of dollars worth of improvements, in Red Bluff, Tehama county, California, was decided by the General land Office at Washington yesterday. The claimant was Granville Doll, and the citizens of Red Bluff contenders. The decision was adverse to the former.~

1865 April 21, Boston Daily Observer - A movement has been started in California for a subscription to purchase a homestead for the family of John Brown, who are residing at Red Bluff, on the Sacramento River.~

1866 August 29, Red Bluff Independent - Postmaster Bradway informs us that by order of the Post Office Department the proposals to carry a mail from Red Bluff to the Coast Range will be received by him. The route will be by Red Bank to Paskenta and the country bordering on Stony Creek. He also calls an attention to the fact that Congress has made the following alterations in the Postal law: first, that no extra postage is to be charged on letters forwarded from one Post Office to another, or on dead letters returned to the writer; second, that Postmasters are requested to encourage the endorsement of request for the return of unclaimed letters, so as to prevent the sending of letters to the Dead Letter Office at Washington.~

1868 July 31, San Francisco Bulletin- DEATHS - "In Marysville, July 27, Rev. Martin Francis Schwenninger, better known as Father Florian, aged 60 years, 3 months.'~

"Up to the Spring of this year (1853) we have no record of any priests of the Catholic church conducting services in Red Bluff, but it is most likely that Father Florian Schwenninger, on his way to the Shasta mission in the Summer of 1853, said Mass for the few Catholics who resided there." - Walsh, Henry L., S.J. (1946). Hallowed Were the Gold Dust Trails. University of Santa Clara Press, California.~

1868 September 28, San Francisco Bulletin; The Red Bluff Independent, Sep 24 - Mr. Adams of Adams Ferry, passed through our town one day this week with a very fine two year old colt which he intends to exhibit at the Butte County Fair. The colt is as fine an animal as was ever raised in the county. We understand Mr. Adams has been offered $1,000. for him.~

1870 January 1, San Francisco Bulletin (San Francisco, California) - One hundred and fifty hands are employed in Kingley's glove manufactory in Red Bluff.~

1873, San Francisco Bulletin -From Red Bluff, by Roaring River (no office), Igo (n.o.), Piety Hill (n.o.), Horsetown, and Middletown (n.o.) to Shasta, 54 miles and back once a week.

Leave Red Bluff Monday at 8 am, Arrive Shasta next day by 2 pm, Leave Shasta Wednesday at 8 am, Arrive at Red Bluff next day by 2 pm.

Proposals invited to begin at Cottonwood, 17 miles less distance.~

1877 June 22, Weekly Journal Miner- One million pounds of wool have been shipped from Red Bluff, Tehama County, California, this season.~

1877 November 9, Weekly Journal Miner - A drove of 3,007 turkeys crossed the Sacramento River on the bridge at Red Bluff, Cal., on the 27th of October on their way to Chico, where they will be fattened on the stubble fields for the holiday market.

1878 April 4, San Francisco Bulletin - Major-General E. J. Lewis arrived in Red Bluff at 4:45 o'clock last evening, and was met at the depot by the military and civic authorities, Brigadier-General Cadwalder and staff, and the Red Bluff brass band. The fire companies and a large concourse of citizens escorted him to the office of General Cadwalder in the bank building. He addressed the crowd in front of the building. He was banqueted last night by the military and civic authorities.~

1879 September 13, State Line Herald -A first-class druggist is expected to arrive at this place [Lakeview, Oregon] in a short time, with a full assortment of drugs. The gentleman comes from Red Bluff, California, and purposes to locate permanently in Lakeview.~

1881 June 15, San Francisco Bulletin - Northern California Notes - Teachers' examination is in progress to-day at Red Bluff. - Wool-laden teams are now arriving daily at Redding, Anderson and Red Bluff - Vesper Lodge, F. and A.M. of Red Bluff has decided to expend $20,000 in the erection of a building for Masonic uses.~

1883 December 29, San Francisco Bulletin - Red Bluff, with its seven denominations has six Sabbath schools, and an aggragate enrollment of probably five hundred, with an average weekly attendance of possibly one-half that number.

The churches in Red Bluff, seven in number, were organized as follows: Methodist Episcopal in 18__; Presbyterian in 1860; Baptist in 1861; A.M.E. Church in 1876; the Disciples in 1880; the M.E. Church South in 1880 and the Catholic Church in 1866.~

1885 November 27, Arnold Sanford Hammans, 21, born Iowa, and Lurena Musadore Howell in Red Bluff, Tehama, California by Henry Exley.

1887 August 8- Red Bluff, Tehama County, Aug. 7 - While Robinson's Circus was in full blast Saturday night, about 9 o'clock, an alarm of fire was given, which came very near creating a panic under the canvas. The alarm was for the burning of the Red Bluff Brewery, which was completely destroyed. The loss to the brewery and house is about $12,000. on which there is $6,400. insurance. Peter Mugler was the owner.~

1888 January 20, San Francisco Bulletin, Red Bluff, Cal., Jan 19 - G.K. Willard's steam flour mill was entirely destroyed by fire last night, with all the improved machinery. The plant was worth $30,000. insured for one-half. No cause is assigned for the origin of the fire.~

1891 May 5, Patriot; Redding, Cal, May 4:  THE PRESIDENTIAL PARTY, GIVEN AN ENTHUSIASTIC WELCOME AT RED BLUFF, CALIFORNIA - President Harrison and party made the first portion of their journey in Northern California today in a mild rain storm, the first experience of that kind they have had in the Golden State. The President rose early this morning and was the only member of the party to greet the crowds that gathered about the train at Tehama. He was loudly cheered and shook hands with all the people within reach. About half an hour later the train drew up at Red Bluffs, where a large crowd with a band was assembled at the station. They gave the President a most enthusiastic welcome. The Presidential party passed through Delta about noon, and at Dunsmuir the President shook hands with a large number of old soldiers and thanked the citizens for their reception.~

1893 February 9, Bismarck Tribune (North Dakota), Red Bluff, Cal. Feb 8 - The remains of Charles Humbert were found in the ruins of the Tremont Hotel which burned yesterday.~

1894 December 25, Married:  Stephen A. Hammans and Agnes Klesner in Red Bluff, Tehama, California by G.K. Berry.

1898 May 31, Los Angeles Herald - Postmaster, California:  F.E. Cushing, Red Bluff.~

1898 July 17, Red Bluff Daily News, Mrs. A. J. Hammans and daughter Belle have gone to Colyear springs for a vacation.~

1898 July 26, Evening News, Red Bluff, July 26 - The new plant of the Tehama Electric Company has been put into operation for the first time and the result was equal to all expectations.~

1904 February 27, Daily Red Bluff News- A.J. Hammans has sold that neat two-story house formerly owned by F. A. North, situated on Lincoln Street, to F. J. Moore of Redding. Mr. Moore will at once occupy the house with his family and engage in the business of life insurance. We bespeak for Mr. Moore a liberal share of patronage.~

1904 June 8, Red Bluff Daily News - The Southern Pacific Company has a force of men at work loading the ties from the old stock corral site onto cars to make room for the new lumber yard to be established by the Wildwood Lumber Company.

Some lumber from the Wildwood mills is already on the ground and the yard will be filled up as rapidly as the lumber can be hauled.~

1904 July 8, Red Bluff News - A. Powers and Lester Gimble, teamsters with the Wildwood Lumber Company, started from this city Saturday with the company's mule teams, recently purchased, each of the wagons loaded with general merchandise for the company's Wildwood store, located three and one-half miles above Harrison Gulch.

As it takes seven days to make the round trip, the teams will not return till next Friday when they will bring down lumber from the mills for the new yard in this place.~

1904 November 23Red Bluff Daily News - YOUNG COUPLE WED WEDNESDAY - Miss Alta Hammans and Mr. Joseph Burt Will Journey Along Life's Highway in Double Harness - Mrs. R.E. Crumrine, Miss Alta Hammans and Joseph Burt departed on the midnight train Tuesday for San Francisco, and on Wednesday evening at 7 o'clock Miss Alta Jean Hammans and Joseph McNeil Burt will be united in the holy bonds of matrimony "until death do them part" by Rev. J George Gibson of the Baptist Church at the residence of Mrs. B. W. Bidwell on O'Farrell Street. This marriage is somewhat of a surprise to the young couple's many friends. That they were engaged was generally known, but the date of their marriage was kept quiet.

Miss Hammans is the third daughter of A. J. Hammans and has lived in this city the greater portion of hr life, where she has many friends. She is a comely and admirable young lady and is blessed with a happy disposition.

Mr. Burt is the son and Mr. and Mrs. R.N. Burt and is an exceedingly popular young man. He has been in the employ of Cone & Kimball Company for some time and has proved himself to be a successful young business man.

Miss Hammans will be married in a pretty gown of light tan crepe de Paris, daintily trimmed with silk to match and a touch of green velvet.

This happy couple will return to Red Bluff December 1st and will reside at the home of A. J. Hammans on Washington Street.

The News joins with their many friends in wishing them much happiness and prosperity during their wedded life.~

1905 April 15, San Francisco Chronicle -MARRIAGES - HAMMANS-COWEN - In this city, April 12, by Rev. George W. White, Andrew J. Hammans of Red Bluff to Catherine J. Cowen of this city.~

1907 February 10, San Jose Mercury News - Red Bluff, Feb 9 - Much interest is being manifested in the proposition to secure an opera house and dancing pavilion for this city, and the proposal to build this edifice by private enterprise meets with the heartiest approval from all classes and conditions of men. The subscriptions for stock in the $30,000 corporation to be formed now amount to about $12,000, and it is thought that by early next week a sufficient amount can be secured to insure the success of the project.~

1913 December 28, San Jose Mercury Herald -The Elks Lodge of Red Bluff held a ladies' night recently, the occasion being the formal opening of the Elks' new home. Many attended.~

1919-1920 -The water measurements were taken at Ydalpom for the Pit River, Baird for the McCloud River, and Red Bluff for the Sacramento River. - Unknown source notes~

1922 July 20, Oregonian - Red Bluff, Cal. July 19 - Attacked by a mad bull while sitting on his horse in the current of the Sacramento River here today, Harry Andrews, a prominent rancher, was unseated and drowned. His horse escaped uninjured. Andrews body was not recovered.

See also:  Wagon Wheels, Journal of the Colusi County Historical Society, Volume 62, Number 1, Spring 2012, Pages 52-53 for Postal History Article.

1974 January 22, Alta Hammans Burt, 91, died in a conveslescent hospital in Sacramento following a lingering illness. She was a native of Red Bluff and the widow of the late Joseph M. Burt, Sr.

Mrs. Burt is survived by a son, Joseph M. Burt, Jr. of Sacramento, a daughter, Joean Burness of Santa Barbara, 3 grandchildren and 1 gr-grandson.

Private cremation was held. Interment will be in Oak Hill Cemetery. Arrangements have been under the direction of the Mt. Vernon Mortuary of Sacramento.~



Redbank > Red Bank

See:  Eby > Redbank > Red Bank


Riceville > Corning

The community of Corning was once called at different times Scatterville, Farmington and Riceville.

1871, Land in the present day community of Corning was covered with "squatters" in all directions looking like a scattered village and called by the Tehama Tocsin newspaper:  Scatterville.

1872, Charles P. Rice disliking the name Scatterville changed it to Farmington.

1878 November 19, San Francisco Bulletin (San Francisco, California) - The late John Corning - the remains of John Corning, late Assistant-General Superintendent of the Central Pacific Railroad, were brought to this city yesterday and conveyed to the Palace Hotel at which place the funeral will take place tomorrow afternoon at half past 1 o'clock. The remains will be taken to Syracuse [New York] where the family tomb is located and which they will be placed by the side of the remains of his father [Erastus Corning].~

1881 April 5, a 4th class post office called Riceville was established with William F. Maggard as the first postmaster. As is true of several locations, confusion exists as just how the name was chosen. Apparently the name of Farmington was declined by the Postal Department as one already existed in California. Another is for the nearby creek which was called Rice Creek, and of course, this all pointed to Charles P. Rice who owned the land on which half the town and the post office was laid out on. This particular post office was discontinued on 23 November 1882 and moved 1 mile east to the Railroad Station and the name changed to Corning.~

1881 April 5, William F. Maggard, Postmaster

1882 February 1, William J. Reyon, Postmaster.

1882 October 17, Clement S. Roy, Postmaster.

1882 November 23, a first class post office was established called Corning in Tehama County. It was named for John Corning, surveyor for the Central Pacific Railroad. Clement S. Roy was the first postmaster for the post office located within the Railroad Station. Corning was considered located 8 miles SW of Tehama.~

1884 March 24, Frances Roy, Postmaster.

1884 May 8, William J. Hannan, Postmaster.

1884 July 19, San Francisco Bulletin- Corning, Tehama County, is to have a Methodist Church.~

1885 October 28, Muskegon Chronicle (Muskegon, Michigan) - F. Houghton of Corning, Tehama county, Cal., will soon have probably the largest poultry farm in the world. He has nearly 5,000 hens, and has the hen houses built on sleds so that he can move them from place to place on his wheat stubble.~

1889 December 27, Mrs. Maria Ott, Postmaster.

1894 January 4, Mrs. Ollie McKellar, Postmaster.

1898, Maywood Women's Club made up of women from the east side of the imaginary line which ran parallel to the railroad track in the community of Corning was formed.~

1898 July 7, Evening News (San Jose, CA) - News has been received here that the town of Corning, in Tehama County, has been visited by a disastrous fire.~

1899 November 18, Searchlight (Redding, California) - The overland train that runs on the west side of the river has changed the dinner-eating place. The meal is now taken at Corning instead of Willows.~

1900, Woodson Park, with the help of Maywood Women's Club, became California's first municipal auto camp with electricity, restrooms, stoves and picnic tables.~

1904 April 27, Arthur J. Chittenden, Postmaster.

1908 November 27, San Jose Mercury News - Vacation has been declared for the Public Schools for one week. A child who had been at Corning for dental treatment developed a light case of scarlet fever--so light that she attended school daily. The school building is being fumigated and precautions taken to prevent a spread of the fever.~

1910 August 7, San Jose Mercury News, Corning, Tehama County., Aug 6 - Fourteen cars of tomatoes and melons, five cars of green peaches and several cars of dried apricots have been shipped from here this season. There is promise of a good crop of almonds and olives.~

1914 March 10, Roy C. Hannan, Postmaster.

1914 October 23, Hemet News (Hemet, California) - WOMEN'S FEDERATION Of KINDERGARTENS - STATEWIDE SYSTEM URGED AS AN AID TO CALIFORNIA EDUCATIONAL SYSTEM - The Federation of Women's Clubs, which through its component local organizations is working for the state-wide introduction of kindergartens in the public school system of California before the exposition year, has found that the city which has the largest number of kindergartens in proportion to its population is most thoroughly convinced of their value and most enthusiastic. That Pasadena, which with 1302 boys and girls of kindergarten age (from four to six) according to the recent report of the United States Bureau of Education, has twelve public school kindergarten teachers in them. In the government report referred to, Superintendent of Schools Jeremiah Rhodes, of Pasadena says:  "Pasadena has well-organized, thoroughly equipped, and modern kindergartens. Without question we are getting greater value from the kindergartens than from any other single department of our school work. They are in bungalows, especially constructed for the purpose."

One of the interesting proofs this government report gives of the appreciation of the kindergarten in California communities which have tried it out is in the town of Corning. Out of forty children of kindergarten age, 37 are enrolled in the public school kindergarten, and the qualifications required of the teacher are of the highest standard. There are only about a dozen other places of its size in the whole country which provide so well for their children as does this progressive little Tehama county city.

A great advantage which California has over any other state in the country for affording all its children kindergarten training has bveen found in the use of bungalows for these work-and-play shops for the youngest youngsters. This makes a large enough economy to allow the opening of more kindergartens in some cases than a community would otherwise feel it could afford.

In places where the present school buildings are already pretty well filled by 'the grades,' as teachers call the classes from primary to senior high, bungalows either at the corners of the schoolhouse lots or in similarly convenient locations, make ideal kindergarten quarters. They are especially desirable, of course, because they can be designed and arranged with perfect regard for the peculiar requirements of their use.~

1920 March 1, Charles W. Davis, Postmaster.

1922 April 28, Otto B. Liersch, Postmaster.

1926 July 13, Orvel Hatfield, Postmaster.

1926 December 11, Otto B. Liersch, Postmaster.

1934 December 19, Raymond D. Siler, Postmaster.

1963 October 31, Orville K. Jolly, Postmaster.




1912 August 18, 4th Class Post Office established as Richfield, Tehama, California, located 3 miles north of Corning. Name relates to quality of land for growing agricultural crops successfully. The area was highly publicized by the developers of the Richfield Colony.

Charles W. Million, First Postmaster.

1913 October 21, Ray Ellis, Postmaster.

1916 February 10, Charles Zerkle, Postmaster.

1924 June 17, John B. Crawford, Postmaster.

1935 March 15, George P. Vanderpool, Postmaster.

1945 December 6, Mrs. Alice E. Trammel, Postmaster.

1946 March 31, Mrs. Velva L. Romer, Postmaster.

1947 July 9, Thomas J. Wylie, Postmaster.

1949 October 1, Mrs. Dolly O. Neasham, Postmaster.

1960 June 30, Harold E. Neasham, POstmaster.

1962 February 16, Frank. R. Gott, Postmaster.

1964 June 3, Kenneth George Peterson, Postmaster.

1970 June 30, Post Office discontinued.

See also:  Wagon Wheels, Journal of the Colusi County Historical Society, Volume 63, Number 2, Fall 2013, Page 53.



1881 September 29, 4th Class Post Office established as Riley, Tehama County, California, located 20 miles southwest of Cottonwood per Postal Route Map.

John T. Brown, First Postmaster.

1893 January 16, P O discontinued and service moved to Hunters.



1898 July 6, 4th Class Post Office established as Rosewood, TehamaCounty, California, located 23 miles northwest of Red Bluff and 5 miles north of Hunters.

 Henry F. Stiver, First Postmaster.

1904 November 22, Mint Marquis, Postmaster.

1909 May 31, Post Office discontinued and service moved to Hunters.



"Samuel of Posen"

1887 October 8, San Francisco Bulletin - M.B. Curtis:  "Yes sir," said Mr. Curtis, "we have laid out a beautiful town in Tehama county, six miles from Red Bluff, on the line of railroad, and possessing all the advantages of soil, climate, scenery and water facilities. And now I propose to give away from 10 to 40,000 lots, and make Samlposen one of the gem towns of the State." 





1871 January 12 - The first passenger train arrived at Sesme, across the Sacramento River from Tehama, on last Monday evening. There will be regular stage service between that point and Red Bluff.~



1880 December 13, 4th Class Post Office established as Simmons, Tehama County, California located 14 miles west of Butte Meadows.

John H. Petty, First Postmaster.

1881 October 27, George C. Spooner, Postmaster.

1884 February 11, Post Office discontinued and service moved to Butte Meadows.



AKA Brack Horn (No P O )

1882 June 30, 4th Class Post Office established as Southey, Tehama Copunty, California located 17 miles northeast of Cottonwood. Named for Southy W. Long, the first postmaster.

1883 February 5, P O discontinued and the service moved to Cottonwood.



AKA:  Hall's Ranch

1851 November 29, TEHAMA- 3rd Class Post Office established as Hall's Ranch in Colusa County. Came into Tehama County when county created 9 April 1856. Discontinued 8 April 1870 and re-established on 2 May 1870. Located on the Toomes Ranch south of Red Bluff.

Newell Hall, first Postmaster.  Newell Hall owned the ferry across the Sacramento River at the site.

Owen Gervy Postmaster in 1857. W.G. Chard, Postmaster in 1859.~

Newell Hall followed by Owen Gervy, William G. Chard, Charles Harvey, George A. Weitemeyer, Henry Garnham, Charles D. Woodman, John M. Force, David S. Cutter, Robert B. Aiken, Frank P. Kelly, Edgar F. Wade, Henry L. Stratton, Robert M. Woods, Henry L. Stratton, Miss Kathryn Lowrey, Mrs. Kate Huson, Esther S. Simpson, Esther S. Gibson, Mattie C. Muller, and Mrs. Kate Huson. Mrs. Kate Huson served eight years on her first term and has now served six years on her second. - L. L. McCoy, Tehama County Memories, 1997.

1860 March 27, San Francisco Bulletin- Killed at Tehama -A fatal affray, says the Red Bluff Beacon, occurred in Tehama, on the night of 17th March, in which a man, known as "Big Hank" was shot by Dave Jorden. It occurred in a China house, and the shot appeared to be purely accidental. The wounded man lived nearly twenty-four hours, though he never spoke after the pistol was fired. He was one of the volunteers under Gen. Kibbe.~

1862 October 28, San Francisco Bulletin - Company E, 2nd Cavalry, California Volunteers, from Tehama, passed through Fairfield on Tuesday morning, enroute for Benicia, whence it is understood it will proceed to Fort Churchill. The company is said to be nominally under arrest for an alleged refusal to obey the orders of the captain; but the Red Bluff Independent says that "during the two months these men have been stationed here they have created a very favorable impression among our citizens by their uniform sobriety and civility."~

1864, Per Bancroft: Tehama was located 12 miles south of Red Bluff with a population of 800. Charles Harvey was serving as Postmaster. The Physicians were J.W. Jeffries and Nicolas Sarter. Louis A. Gyle sold books and the General Merchandise Stores were Galland & Bro. and S.A. Gyle.~

1865 February 1, Weekly Rescue (Sacramento, California) - The Lodge at Tehama, to-wit, Tehama, No. 145, was organized December 17th [1864] with twenty-four members and is destined to become one of the most prosperous lodges in the state. They have not less than two and sometimes have had five propositions at a meeting. They hold their meetings in Masonic Hall. - State Deputy W.V. Frazier

1872 January 11, Red Bluff Independent - The steamer Gem has arrived at Tehama and is to be used as a ferryboat for the railroad until a new bridge can be built across the river.~

1872 February 12, San Francisco Bulletin (Railroad News)- The work on the bridge at Tehama is progressing rapidly. The pier which supported the draw has been raised several feet and the west end of the bridge has been raised to near its proper height.~

1872 March 27, the Tehama Bridge has been completed and trains last week passed over it and on to Red Bluff.~

1872 October 12, Red Bluff Independent - LOCAL NEWS - Notice - On and after Sunday next, October 13, the Tehama Post-office will be opened on Sundays from 8 to 10 1/4 o'clock, A.M. and from 7 1/2 to 9 o'clock, P.M. No mail matter will be delivered at any other times during the day.~

1872 December 5, Idaho Statesman - Dr. J. M. Betts, one of our physicians has left with his family for Tehama, Tehama County, California., where he will make his permanent residence and practice his profession. The Doctor has occupied a leading position here as both physician and surgeon, and we expect to hear of his occupying the same position in his new field of practice.~

1878 April 22, San Francisco Bulletin - Washington, April 21st - Postmasters appointed:  Tehama, Tehama county, Robert Aiken.

1884 July 19, San Francisco Bulletin - Tehama is to have a new Catholic Church.

1888 April 27, Evening News (San Francisco, California) - GOOD WORK BY OFFICERS FROST AND HALEY IN TEHAMA COUNTY -  a telegram reached this office at 3 o'clock this afternoon, announcing the arrest of Hill and DeWitt at Tehama, Tehama County. The arrest was made by Deputy Sheriff Irwin Frost and Constable Haley of this city, who left here for that purpose last Wednesday. The prisoners are accused of stealing cattle from near San Felipe, in this county and the capture adds another to the many laurels already won by the officers named.~

1888 October 12, San Francisco Bulletin - Tehama, Tehama county became a new money-order post office per the U.S. Postal Department.~

1890 January 27, San Francisco Bulletin, Tehama, Jan 27:  Last night Fleming's store was robbed. An entrance was effected by prying open one of the back windows. The safe was opened, but no money had been kept in it. The papers were not molested. Clothing, etc., was carried off valued at $200. There is no clue to the burglars. They also tried to get into the Palace Saloon, but were unsuccessful.~

1896 March 30, Duluth News Tribune - Tehama, Cal., March 29 - An attempt was made to derail the Oregon Express at Empire switch, between here and Vina last night by placing ties on the track. The engineer saw the obstruction in time to stop the train and avert a smashup. No motive can be given for the attempt at derailment.~

1903, The town of Tehama is situated on the Sacramento River at the junction of the railroads on the east and west sides. It is twelve miles south of Red Bluff, the county seat, eight miles north of Vina and ten miles northeast of Corning.

The present population is about four hundred.

Tehama is situated in the heart of one of the richest farming sections of the State. Crops of all kinds grow abundantly. The rainfall is adequate to insure paying returns. Snow is a rare thing. Killing frosts are seldom known. Foggy weather is scarce. In 1901 an experimental crop of sugar beets was planted on land near Tehama.

The returns proved beyond question that Tehama lands are well adapted to beet culture. Some of the crop averaged over twenty tons per acre. The percentage of sugar was exceptionally high. It is probable that in the near future the industry will become permanent and a factory established in this vicinity.

Alfalfa does well without irrigation.

Vegetables thrive and about two hundred acres east of the river are devoted to this line. In 1901, fifty carloads of Irish potatoes, ten of sweet potatoes, six of beans and five of peanuts were shipped north and south. Watermelons are also a paying crop.

The fruit industry is extensive. About eight hundred acres are devoted to orchards of peaches, pears, prunes, apricots, figs and other fruits.

The shipments of all products aside from fruit in 1901 were as follows:  Wheat, 75 carloads; Mules, 15 carloads; Cattle, 15 carloads; Hay, 14 carloads; Sheep, 11 carloads; Hogs, 6 carloads; Vegetables, 82 tons.

The Sacramento River at Tehama is spanned by a fine steel railroad drawbridge finished in 1902. Seven granite piers support the structure which is 850 feet long. The draw is 260 feet in length. This bridge is one of the finest west of the Mississippi. It is used by the county as a wagon bridge.

Tehama is lighted by electricity furnished by the Northern California Power Company.~

Article from:  Tehama County in Northern California 1903 by W.C. Spann, used as a promotional by the Red Bluff Chamber of Commerce~

1903 November 20, Idaho Register, Contained Mail for Idaho - The post office department has announced that in the wreck of a Southern Pacific train near Tehama, Cal., on Nov. 1, a large amount of the mail matter destroyed by the burning of the mail car was destined from Hawaii, the Philippines and China and Japan to California, Oregon, Washington, Alaska, western Canadian provinces, Idaho and Montana. A small quantity was from eastern and southern states, for southern Oregon and northern California.~

1912 Janaury 20, Evening News (San Francisco, California) -TEHAMA WOMAN CAN TALK ISHI'S TONGUE- Tehama, Jan 20 - In Mrs. Sam Hall, a pioneer of Tehama county, this city boasts of a citizen who can speak the Mill Creek Indian language. Mrs. Hall is probably the only living white person who is master of the tongue. While the professors in the affiliated colleges in San Francisco were searching for some one to interpret the conversation of Ishi, the last Mill Creek Indian in existence, who was captured in the vicinity of Oroville a few month ago, Mrs. Hall kept modestly in the background. She came to California in 1852 and picked up the language through a close association with the Indians."~

1919 September 26, San Luis Obispo Daily Telegram (San Luis Obispo, CA) Tehama Calif. - fourteen cases of whiskey stored in the Clark building stolen by men who forced an entrance. Liquor was valued at $1,000.~

1945 January 17, Mrs. Clara E. Hisken, Acting and then Postmaster on June 2, 1945.

1952 December 31, Mr. Meyer E. Hisken, Acting and then Postmaster on December 14, 1953.

1968 June 14, Mrs. Verna Ilene Hough, Acting and then Postmaster on March 20, 1971.