"Trinity County"

1853 January 21, Sacramento Daily Union - Post Offices in California - Corrected to December 1, 1852 - Trinity County: Big Bar, Trinity, John T. Weaver, Postmaster; Bucksport, Trinity, Jonathan Clark, Postmaster; Mendocino, Trinity, L.W. Fish, Postmaster; Uniontown, Trinity, A.H. Murdock, Postmaster; Weaverville, Trinity, G.B. Winston, Postmaster.~

1854 July 15, "A Chinese Battle in California" took place near Weaverville between the Canton and Hong Kong groups residing in Trinity County.

1855 January 26, Daily Democratic State Journal (Sacramento, California) - Postmaster/Offices as of the 15th Day April 1854:  Eureka, Trinity, H. W. Bean; Mendocino, Trinity, L. W. Fish; Uniontown, Trinity, A. H. Murdoch; Weaverville, Trinity, James Barry.~

1857 July 26, Daily Globe - Post Offices in Trinity County as of this date:  Big Bar, William Coddington, Postmaster; Lewiston, C. Wood, Postmaster; Trinity, C. Lee, Postmaster; Trinity Centre, M. Chadbourne, Postmaster; Weaverville, James Barry, Postmaster.~

1858 February 13San Joaquin Republican, The Trinity Journal says it has information that a party of 75 or 100 persons will leave that and the adjoining counties, about the 20th of March, for the Colorado. They are to start from Stockton on the first day of April for the gold mines above the mouth of Virgin River. Persons desirous of information on the subject can apply to John B. Mallett of Bald Hills or Ben Anderson of Shasta.~

1858 November 11, San Francisco Bulletin via Trinity Journal- Delos J. Howe makes the following statement of the school census of Trinity county. Total number of children, all ages, 232; school children, from 4-18, 100; children under 4, 132; girls, from 4-18, 75; boys, from 4-18, 85; orphans, 3; children born in California, 149; families with children, 150.~

1859, State Register and Year Book of Facts, California, 1859 - The post offices in Trinity County were:  Big Bar, Canon City, Lewiston, Minersville, Trinity, Trinity Centre, and Weaverville.~

1891 July 3, Born to Moses Philpot and wife, a son, Liberty Philpot.

1894 December 12, Born to Moses Philpot and wife, a daughter, Pearl Philpot.

1895 Feb 29, Born to Don Noble and wife, a son, Leonard Noble.

1897 August 6, Born to Don Noble and wife, a daughter, Maude Noble.

1903 July 2, The Free Press, Redding, Cal. - The deep snow on the Salmon River or Caribou Mountains in Trinity County is causing bear, deer, and other large game to frequent the lower altitudes, to the great discomfort of miners and others living in the neighborhood of that mountain range.

Tuesday evening at the supper hour a mammoth panther strolled leisurely into the boarding house at the Strode Mine and struck terror to the hearts of the inmates. There was a general stampede and the animal had sole possession for a time. Finally a couple of dogs caught scent of the panther and made an attack upon him. There was an interesting fight for a few minutes, when the panther turned tail and escaped into the woods.

The same day while George L. Carr's folks were going over Trinity Mountain they encountered two large cinnamon bears in the road on the divide. At first the bears seemed inclined to maintain their possession of the right of way and make the Carrs go 'round. They thought better of the matter, however, and scampered off into the woods. There is plenty of deer in the foothills and mountains and small game in abundance.~

1904 December 7, Married - Rudolph H. Junkans and Agnes Helen Weinheimer.

1909 August 18, Oregonian - Thomas McDonald, a well-known mining man and capitalist, has won the distinction of ridding Trinity County of the terror of the ranges, by killing what is undoubtedly the biggest grizzly ever seen in the northern part of the state. The monster beast, weighing close to 1000 pounds, has for years been striking terror to the hearts of the residents of Salmon River range, killing sheep, and making other depredations.

McDonald, who is an expert rifle shot, undertook to rid the county of the nuisance and has accomplished his task. After a short though fierce struggle, the bear was killed and McDonald now has trophies of the chase in the way of the biggest bearskin ever seen in this region, and has been voted a resolution of thanks by the residents of the section the bear had terrorized.~

1914 January 12, Married - Elmer Clair Crews and Alice Vaughn.

1915- Trinity County was comprised of eleven or more mining districts:  Canyon Creek; Coffee Creek; Deadwood; East Fork (Trinity River); Minersville; Stewart's Fork [Stuart Fork]; Trinity Center; New River; Indian Creek; North Fork; Lewiston~

1946 January 29, Married - George B. Fisk and Betty Bryan.


Abrams > Dorleska 

1895, James Abrams operated a trading post approximately 20 miles west of Carrville and 21 miles east of Cecilville in 1850. It wasn't until 12 February 1895 that a Post Office was established with James Mather as first Postmaster and then discontinued by the end of the year. Re-established 18 August 1896 the P O was then moved 6 miles south on 8 November 1901. Discontinued on 9 October 1902, the name was changed to Dorleska.

1895 October 8, Robert G. Abrams, postmaster.

1902, Dorleska came in as a name change for Abrams on 9 October 1902 and operated until 30 November 1916 when it moved to Coffee.

Dorleska assumed the name of the Dorleska Mine discovered in 1897.

Matthew H. Macllvaine was the first Postmaster.~

1912 July 6, Robert G. Abrams, Postmaster of Dorleska, Trinity, California.



1876 January 10, Altoona, Trinity, California established as a 4th class post office located 11 miles north of Trinity Center and discontinued 4 October 1876. Named for Altoona, Pennsylvania.

Charles Howard was the first postmaster.

1876 October 20, Altoona, Trinity California post office re-established.

Albert E. Castle, Postmaster.

1878 December 27, Charels Crandall, postmaster.

1880 September 2, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Trinity Center.

1885 April 2, San Francisco Bulletin- The settlement of Altoona, surrounding the quicksilver mines of the same name, lies in the extreme northeastern portion of the county. Cinnabar was discovered here some fourteen or fifteen years since leading to the discovery of the Altoona mine. The ledge was developed to some extent and works were finally erected for reducing the ore. The low price of quicksilver for a number of years past has interfered with the profitable working of the property. Nothing is now being done upon it, the property being I am informed, in litigation.~

1888 September 3, San Francisco Bulletin via Trinity Journal- The Cinnabar District is above Trinity Center, about sixty miles from Weaverville, Trinity County. The Trinity and Altoona are the principal mines, and have generally been profitably worked. The cost of producing quicksilver in this district is 17 cents per pound. The Altoona quicksilver mine is being worked by a force of about twelve, who are engaged in getting out ore and developing the ledge. The company will soon begin working the ore and producing quicksilver. About a mile from the Altoona the Dacks are sluicing in their claim and have done  well this summer. Indications point to lively times in Cinnabar the coming year.~



1898 March 3, , Post Office established as Anada, Trinity, California and discontinued 30 November 1907 when moved to Ruth. Name coined from Anna and Ada. Located 7 miles east of Hetton.

Lacy Gray, first postmaster. 

See also:  Ruth.


Auto Rest

1917 September 13, 4th class post office established as Auto Rest, Trinity, California and discontinued 9 March 1920 when the name changed to Forest Glen. A not uncommon name in the early days of travel by automobile. It was the forerunner of the motel. Located on the route from Alton, Humboldt County, to Red Bluff, Tehama County,  20 miles SW of Hayfork.

Arthur H. Jeans was the first postmaster.

1919 July 21, Charles H. Matthews, Postmaster.


Big Bar

1851 October 7,  3rd Class Post Office established prior to 7 October 1851 (Daily Alta California Newspaper of 29 July 1851 states it existed already). Discontinued 15 August 1872 and re-established 1 April 1948. Located on the Trinity River 22 miles west of Weaverville.~

1851 October 7, John T. Weaver, Postmaster.

1852 November 15, Sacramento Daily Union - Big Bar, Trinity County; John T. Weaver postmaster per published list.

1853 May 10, William Coddington, Postmaster.

1857, Daily Globe:  Post Office Big Bar - William Coddington, Postmaster.~

1859 March 31, Michael Whelan, Postmaster.

1861 August 12, San Francisco Bulletin- A telegram from Weaverville dated August 9th says: Oney Wheelwright, of Big Bar, Trinity County, was killed by the HayFork Indians yesterday, probably incited and led by the Trinity Indians. Wheelwright was alone, one of the hands employed having left for a few moments. Returning about 11 o'clock, he found the house sacked, bedding, clothing, etc. taken, and furniture destroyed. Another house near the mill, occupied by Wheelwright, had been sacked of everything of value, among which were three rifles and one shot gun. Wheelwright's body was found some distance from the house, with three or four stabs in his breast, one through his head, and a stab in the breast. It is thought there is a league between the Humboldt, Trinity and HayFork bands for the extermination of the whites.~

1865 February 16, John Sammons, Postmaster.

1867 April 9, Augustus Martin, Postmaster.

1868 May 29, O. M. Hennise, Postmaster.

1869 August 26, Alex J. Tinsley, Postmaster.

1874 June 19, William Willshire, Postmaster.

1885, Trinity County, California 1885 Directory- Big Bar - A post office and mining camp in the northwestern part of the county on the Trinity River and about 30 miles distant from Weaverville from which it receives its supplies - BUSH, Andrew J., 40 acres; GIBSON, G.R., Superintendent of Trinity Hydraulic Mining Company, 167 acres; TREAT, Orrin, Farmer/stock raiser, 40 acres; UNDERWOOD, T.M., School Teacher; WADLEIGH, M.N. Miss, School Teacher; WALDORFF, Jacob, Farmer; WALLACE, J.C., Miner, 40 acres.~

1891 September 19, William S. Pattison, Postmaster.

1908 June 20, E. M. Waldorff, Postmaster.

1908 November 24, George W. Tinsley, Postmaster.

1934 April 2, Mrs. Lena Isabelle Vaughn, Postmaster.

1935 July 6, Mrs. Elizabeth Tinsley, Postmaster.

1938 October 8, Mrs. Elizabeth Woodcock, Postmaster.

1942 May 8, Edward J. Reynolds, Postmaster.

1948 April 1, Mrs. Mina A. Avera, Postmaster.

1948 July 9, Harry L. Avera, Postmaster.

1954 February 2, Mrs. Charlotte P. Ethridge, Postmaster.

1969 January 16, Mrs. Wilda Nae Arbo, Postmaster.



Big Flat

1935 April 3, 4th Class Post Office established as Big Flat, Trinity, California. Descriptive name of site in the Trinity Alps Wilderness area. A vacation resort located 16 miles by trail southeast of Cecilville, Siskiyou County and 16 miles southwest of Coffee, Trinity County in the SW 1/4 Sec 7; T37N; R9W.

Nathan A. Steele was the first postmaster.~

1937 September 10, Correction made that location actually in Siskiyou County.

1941 October 15, Post Office disocntinued and service moved to Trinity Center.



1898 May 3, 4th class post office established as Bragdon, Trinity County, California. Discontinued 15 September 1903 when the service moved to Trinity Center. Named for the Bragdon family, Edwin H. Bragdon became the first postmaster. Located 10 miles south of Trinity Center and 21 miles northwest of French Gulch.

1898 May 31, Los Angeles Herald - A post office has been established at Bragdon, Trinity county, Cal., with Edwin H. Bragdon as postmaster.~

1903 August 28, San Francisco Call - Post office discontinued September 15 - California - Bragdon, Trinity County; mail to Trinity Center.~

1907 July 29, Sacramento Union - John A. Crane and H. Bragdon of Trinity Center were Friday arrivals in town [Weaverville]. Mr. Bragdon is one of the jurors summoned on the Hughes case.~

1918 June 29, Sacramento Union - MARRIED - HEATH-BRAGDON - In Weaverville (Trinity Co.) June 26, 1918, by Justice of the Peace H.D. Barber, Charles Heath of Minersville and Miss Ora Bragdon of Trinity Center, both of Trinity County.~

Ukn date:  Some voters from Bragdon registered in the Trinity Center Precinct: Hiram Augustus Bragdon, 44; Edwin Hartley Bragdon, 45; James McKay Fewings, 50; George William Giddings, 28.~



1852 November 15, Sacramento Daily Union - Post Office named Bucksport, Trinity, California on the "Post Offices in California" List with Jonathan Clark as postmaster. Located near present day Eureka, Humboldt, California.  Humboldt County did not exist yet.



Bully Choop 

18 Mar 1890 - San Francisco Bulletin- The great Bully Choop, Trinity County mining case is on trial in the superior court at Red Bluff. It involves nearly $500,000.~

1915, Mines and Mineral Resources of Shasta County, Siskiyou County, Trinity County - Bully Choop Mine, in Secs 5, 8, 9 and 4, T 31 N, R 8 W in the Indian Creek Mining District, 16 miles southeast of Douglas City.

Owner:  Bully Choop Gold Mining and Power Company of Atlanta, Georgia, J.F. Beck, president.

Comprises 588 acres of which 198 are patented. Length of pay shoot, 230 feet; width 6 feet; strike east and west; dip 40* S; walls quartz-porphyry; greatest depth, 320 feet; workings, several tunnels, longest being 1700 feet, several thousand feet of drifts, raises and stopes; ore, free milling, but becomes somewhat base as depth is obtained; water for power obtained from north and south forks of Indian Creek, through a 3-mile ditch. Equipment:  cars, dwellings, sawmill, electrical plant, telephone line (15 miles long), and 30-stamp mill driven by water and electrical power; has been a producer; some ore reserve in the mine. Idle at present.~


Burntranch > Burnt Ranch

1858 October 18, 3rd class post office established. Discontinued 18 November 1863 only to be re-established 27 July 1870 and spelling changed to two words. P O moved 1 mile NW 31 October 1898. P O moved again on 29 September 1938 1 1/2 miles south. The name stems from two versions:  1. original site was an Indian rancheria and in 1849 miners burned it out or 2. In 1854 the Indians burned the location. Also known as "McWhorters" (no P O). The location became a supply center to the mines. Located by the Trinity River, 33 miles W of Weaverville.

John K. Houk was the first postmaster.~

1860 January 13, James George, Postmaster.

1870 July 27, David Gray, Postmaster.

1874 November 16, R. L. Thomas, Postmaster.

1875 July 20, Patrick O. M. Hennessy, Postmaster.

1885 January 12, Mary A. Hennessy, Postmaster.

1885 December 14, Adam L. McWhorter, Postmaster.

1887 November 5, T.M. Underwood, Postmaster.

1890 January 28, William J. Nichols, Postmaster.

1894 August 8, James M. Spurr, Postmaster.

1897 December 11, Patrick O.M. Hennessy, Postmaster.

1902 March 12, Maria Hennessy, Postmaster.

1913 November 12, Sacramento Union, Nov 11, Washington D.C.:  California postmasters appointed:  Burnt Ranch, Trinity County, Maria Hennessey.

1914 June 19, Sacramento Union - MC DONALD GETS MAIL CONTRACT - James D. McDonald of Burnt Ranch has been awarded the contract for carrying first and second classs mail and fourth class of the perishable kind on Star Route No. 76562, or Burnt Ranch by way of Big Bar and Helena to Junction City. The service is three times a week and the price is $3000 per year.~

1925 September 1, Mrs. Arabella E. Carpenter, Postmaster.

1932 December 19, Mrs. Arabella E. Beerbower, Postmaster.


Burris > Quinby

1904 December 20, 4th class P O established, then moved 3/4 miles N on 7 November 1906. Discontinued 7 March 1907 when the named changed to Quinby. Named for Frank P. Burris, the first postmaster and located 20 miles NE of Burnt Ranch and 22 miles S of Denny.~

1905 January 20, San Francisco Call - Postmasters were appointed to-day as follows: California - Frank P. Burris, Trinity County.

1906 January 24, Sacramento Union - . . . The reporter for the Union yesterday was accorded a few minutes pleasant chat with Messers. Burris and Williams. Mr. Burris is thoroughly familiar with this country, has mining interests himself and also a town named in his honor."

"F.P. Burris, owner of the Bear Tooth mine, New River, Trinity County. . ."

1907 March 7, Burris Post Office now the Quinby Post Office moved 3/4 mile west on 9 August 1907. The name was for a prospector named Quimby spelled with an m.

James E. Bunyard, first Postmaster.

1915 September 16, Quinby Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Burnt Ranch.


Canon City

CANON is Spanish for narrow watercourse in the mountains. Americans converted the spelling to CANYON.

1856 April 5, Post Office established as Canon City, Trinity, California, located on Canon Creek 18 miles northeast of Weaverville. 

Brackett F. Channell, First Postmaster.

1857 February 18, John Callagan, Postmaster.

1857 November 6, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Weaverville.

1885 April 2, San Francisco Bulletin - Mining Camps - Canon City is on Canon Creek, about eighteen miles north and west of Weaverville. The creek upon which it is situated is said to possess one of the best water rights in the county, being so situated as to allow of a ditch being taken out high enough up to cover a great scape of mining territory.~

1903 June 11, San Francisco Call, CHINESE UNEARTH DEAD MAN'S WEALTH - A number of Chinese miners at Canyon City, an abandoned town in Trinity County, dug up a cigar box to-day in which was $5000 in gold. Thirty-two years ago Canyon City was a thriving mining town. Jacob Killenger lived there and was killed by a cave-in at a mine. He was believed to have considerable money, but the administrator of the estate could find none of it. The Chinese are believed to have discovered the buried treasure of the dead man.~

1915, Mines and Mineral Resiurces of Shasta County, Siskiyou County, Trinity County -Canyon Creek Mining District, famous in the early days for its rich placers, both creek and bench, is now being developed for quartz. This creek heads in the Salmon Range in T. 39 N., R. 10 W., and flows south and empties into the Trinity River at Junction City in Sec. 12, T. 33 No, R. 10 W. The formation in this region consists of hornblende schist and granite-porphry. The first quartz location was made in 1889 on the Chloride, now one of the claims of the Globe group.~



1882 January 31, Post Office established as Carrville, Trinity, California located 4 1/2 miles north of Trinity Center and 28 miles south of Callahan's Ranch, Siskiyou County. Named for James E. Carr and was the trading center for the area gold mines.

James E. Carr, First Postmaster.

1894 May 5, George L. Carr, Postmaster.

1910 June 11, Mary A. Carr, Postmaster.

1937 February 15, Clarence E. Carr, Postmaster.

1940 February 16, Mrs. Ida Marie Jennings, Postmaster.

1940 April 11, Post Office moved 1 1/2 miles north.

1941 November 20, Jay B. White, Postmaster.

1942 December 17, Myron B. Phelps, Postmaster.

1943 February 28, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Trinity Center.



1901 August 31, 4th Class Post Office established as Caution, Trinity, California located 10 1/2 miles southeast of Hoaglin per the 1917 Postal Route Map.

H. D. Willburn, First Postmaster.

1902 January 14, Anna Willburn, Postmaster.

1903 October 20, Post Office moved 2 1/2 miles northwest; Nancy J. Willburn, Postmaster.

1908 March 2, Mary L. Willburn, Postmaster.

1913 July 31, Post Office discontinued.

1915 January 8, Post Office re-established with Minnie L. Willburn, Postmaster.

1916 February 14, Nancy A. Duncan, Postmaster.

1918 September 13, Lulu F. Willburn, Postmaster.

1920 November 24, Ivo H. Hussey, Postmaster.

1921 October 31, Thomas J. Duncan, Postmaster.

1924 September 13, Miss Carrie Willburn, Postmaster.

1926 March 9, Nancy Duncan, Postmaster.

1933 November 25, Mrs. Irene Willburn, Postmaster.

1938 July 15, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Lake Mountain.


Cedar Flat

1879 June 19, 4th Class Post Office established as Cedar Flat, Trinity, California located on the Trinity River 5 miles southeast of Burnt Ranch. Named by 1850 miners for the Cedar trees growing on the flat ground area.

Orville Simmons, First Postmaster.

1883 September 17, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Weaverville.



See:  Integral > Cinnabar > Integral



1885 January 26, 4th Class Post Office established as Coeur, Trinity, California located 51 miles northeast of Burnt Ranch per 1884 Postal Route Map. Named for Alexander Coeur and was a gold mining camp.

Alexander Coeur, First Postmaster.

1887 November 5, John A. McLeod, Postmaster.

1888 October 12, San Francisco Bulletin - Coeur, Trinity county, post office for postal notes only per the U.S. Postal Department.

1891 October 26, Charles S. Ellis, Postmaster.

1896 October 31, Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Denny.


Coffee Creek (stream & mining) & Coffee (Post Office)

1867 December 14, Oregon State Journal (Eugene, Oregon) -Fatal Stage Accident - The stage from the south was swept down Coffee Creek on the 8th. One passenger, named Hamilton, a dentist, was lost; the horses and express box were also lost. The mail was all saved except the way bag. The stage drifted down the river about a mile. Dr. Hamilton's body was recovered on the 10th from Trinity River. The telegraph informs us that the storm was very severe for three days in Northern California.~

1881 June 6, San Francisco Bulletin - The Coffee Creek gravel mines, near the border of Trinity and Shasta, have just commenced work for the summer.~

1882 January 31, 4th class post office established as Coffee, Trinity, California. (Daily Bulletin listed as 9 March 1882). 

Named after the stream called Coffee Creek.

The 1882 postal route map locates the Post Office 22 miles southeast of Cecilville and 15 1/2 miles northeast of Carrville. (1917 Postal Route Map lists as 7 miles northeast of Carrville.)

Robert R. Munro, First Postmaster.

1887 February 26, Post Office discontinued.

1891 June 24, Post Office re-established. George A. Lathrop, Postmaster.

1895 June 10, Post Office discontinued.

1897 September 4, Muskegon Chronicle (Muskegon, Michigan) - A California Klondike - How the Graves Brothers Plucked Fortune out of Hard Luck - John B. Graves and Richard B. Graves, the brothers who discovered the California Klondike on Coffee Creek, Trinity County, considered themselves to be extremely hard luck when the fate landed them in that section of the country. The young men are both married and had worked as farmers in their old home at Red Bluff, Cal.

In 1890 they determined to try cattle raising and put most of their capital into buying a drove of 80 head. With their cattle they went up to Trinity County, where they expected to find good grazing ground. That winter was a severe one, and their stock was entirely wiped out by spring. Much discouraged they went to farming again, but with poor success.

In the winter of 1895 the brothers began prospecting in a desultory sort of manner, occasionally finding a "pocket" which would pan out a few dollars. Finally, on Coffee Creek, they located a claim which they took out the $42,000. nugget which has turned toward northern California part of the tide of miners that is flowing toward the valley of the Yukon. Less than a month ago they found the first nugget and in two days took out $1,000. On the fourth day they found the rich pocket and took out their giant nugget. Since then they have taken out another almost as large as the first.

The news of the rich strike has sent hundreds of prospectors into Trinity county. Some of them have been successful in finding gold and others have not. The latter have not been heard from yet, but the former tell tales of good fortune which spread the germs of the gold fever as far as the telegraph can carry the news. A hostler who quit work for one day to go prospecting dug out $200. worth the first day. He is still at it. Murphy and Burgess, two more prospectors, who have been at work only a few days have taken out $80,000. according to reports. The Graves brothers are already rich and intend to settle permanently on Coffee Creek as miners and farmers.

*Note:  Richard Benjamin Graves (1857-1918) & John Burgess Graves (1867 -1925) are in the family tree of our SWSCHG member Lilian Graves Edell. The Graves Brothers Gold Discovery story hit several newspapers nationwide in August and September of 1897. They were the sons of David Rice Graves and Anna Christine Harman Graves. Their sister was Arkansas Josephine Graves Williams. (see PEOPLE for her story).~

1899 June 17, Idaho Statesman, Redding, Cal., June 16- Two California Miners Find a Rich Claim in Trinity County - Crafton and Frakes, two young miners from Coffee Creek, Trinity County, have arrived in Redding with $10,000 in coarse gold. The amount was taken from the Lady Lay mine, 10 miles from the mouth of Coffee Creek. A narrow ledge lies between walls of serpentine and porphyry. The great strike was made at a depth of 30 feet. Crafton and Frakes located the Lady Lay in 1898. It has paid well from the beginning and gives evidence of being splendid property.~

1901 February 16, Post Office re-established.  Francis Bennett, Postmaster.

1903 June 2, Thomas Hodgson, Postmaster.

1903 October 12, William R. Patten, Postmaster.

1904 July 30, Evening News (San Jose, CA) - John Rothe an aged miner of Coffee Creek district in Trinity County, has struck it rich in his mine six miles above Carrville. He has ore there that carries the value of from $10,000 to $25,000 a ton. There is not much of it, the rich stuff merely being in a streak clinging to a hanging wall, but the extraordinary value of it brings the average value of a two-foot ledge up to $600 a ton, which means a fortune for the owner if the ledge holds out.~

1906 September 27, Post Office moved 1 mile east;  Benjamin D. Pinkham, Postmaster.

1912 July 3, Record Searchlight- Mrs. J. W. Taylor of Ono was in Redding this morning to take the train to Delta, whence she will go to the Coffee Creek mining district in Trinity County, where her husband is employed.~

1922 July 8, Claire B. Fowler, Postmaster.

1922 July 21, Evening News (San Jose, CA) - Jefferson Hildreth, 62, of Redding is dead and M.R. Rose of Oakland, 80, is dying as a result of a quarrel between the two aged men at Hildreth's Coffee Creek, Trinity County, ranch, early today. Hildreth was found shot to death and a posse was immediately organized to hunt Rose, who was found nearby and admitted killing Hildreth. On the way into town Rose, on pretext of getting a drink of water, went behind a hotel and shot himself in the head. Doctors say he cannot live until night.~

1922 September 19, Riverside Daily Press - a forest fire which has been burning for a week on Coffee Creek in the Shasta National Forest, Trinity County, was beyond control today.

The buildings of the Blue Jay and Golden Jubilee mines were burned during the night. One hundred fifty head of sheep were cremated.

One hundred fifty men from Weaverville, Castella, and vicinity were fighting the fire today. It was started by cattlemen clearing ranges and passed beyond their control.~

1926 October 13, Mary L. Patten, Postmaster.

1934 November 15, Charles H. Duncan, Postmaster.

1936 April 20, Jack Humphrey, Postmaster.

1937 February 15, Coffee Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Carrville.