« Coeur | Main | Coleridge »

Coffee Creek (stream & mining) & Coffee (Post Office)

1867 December 14, Oregon State Journal (Eugene, Oregon) -Fatal Stage Accident - The stage from the south was swept down Coffee Creek on the 8th. One passenger, named Hamilton, a dentist, was lost; the horses and express box were also lost. The mail was all saved except the way bag. The stage drifted down the river about a mile. Dr. Hamilton's body was recovered on the 10th from Trinity River. The telegraph informs us that the storm was very severe for three days in Northern California.~

1881 June 6, San Francisco Bulletin - The Coffee Creek gravel mines, near the border of Trinity and Shasta, have just commenced work for the summer.~

1882 January 31, 4th class post office established as Coffee, Trinity, California. (Daily Bulletin listed as 9 March 1882). 

Named after the stream called Coffee Creek.

The 1882 postal route map locates the Post Office 22 miles southeast of Cecilville and 15 1/2 miles northeast of Carrville. (1917 Postal Route Map lists as 7 miles northeast of Carrville.)

Robert R. Munro, First Postmaster.

1887 February 26, Post Office discontinued.

1891 June 24, Post Office re-established. George A. Lathrop, Postmaster.

1895 June 10, Post Office discontinued.

1897 September 4, Muskegon Chronicle (Muskegon, Michigan) - A California Klondike - How the Graves Brothers Plucked Fortune out of Hard Luck - John B. Graves and Richard B. Graves, the brothers who discovered the California Klondike on Coffee Creek, Trinity County, considered themselves to be extremely hard luck when the fate landed them in that section of the country. The young men are both married and had worked as farmers in their old home at Red Bluff, Cal.

In 1890 they determined to try cattle raising and put most of their capital into buying a drove of 80 head. With their cattle they went up to Trinity County, where they expected to find good grazing ground. That winter was a severe one, and their stock was entirely wiped out by spring. Much discouraged they went to farming again, but with poor success.

In the winter of 1895 the brothers began prospecting in a desultory sort of manner, occasionally finding a "pocket" which would pan out a few dollars. Finally, on Coffee Creek, they located a claim which they took out the $42,000. nugget which has turned toward northern California part of the tide of miners that is flowing toward the valley of the Yukon. Less than a month ago they found the first nugget and in two days took out $1,000. On the fourth day they found the rich pocket and took out their giant nugget. Since then they have taken out another almost as large as the first.

The news of the rich strike has sent hundreds of prospectors into Trinity county. Some of them have been successful in finding gold and others have not. The latter have not been heard from yet, but the former tell tales of good fortune which spread the germs of the gold fever as far as the telegraph can carry the news. A hostler who quit work for one day to go prospecting dug out $200. worth the first day. He is still at it. Murphy and Burgess, two more prospectors, who have been at work only a few days have taken out $80,000. according to reports. The Graves brothers are already rich and intend to settle permanently on Coffee Creek as miners and farmers.

*Note:  Richard Benjamin Graves (1857-1918) & John Burgess Graves (1867 -1925) are in the family tree of our SWSCHG member Lilian Graves Edell. The Graves Brothers Gold Discovery story hit several newspapers nationwide in August and September of 1897. They were the sons of David Rice Graves and Anna Christine Harman Graves. Their sister was Arkansas Josephine Graves Williams. (see PEOPLE for her story).~

1899 June 17, Idaho Statesman, Redding, Cal., June 16- Two California Miners Find a Rich Claim in Trinity County - Crafton and Frakes, two young miners from Coffee Creek, Trinity County, have arrived in Redding with $10,000 in coarse gold. The amount was taken from the Lady Lay mine, 10 miles from the mouth of Coffee Creek. A narrow ledge lies between walls of serpentine and porphyry. The great strike was made at a depth of 30 feet. Crafton and Frakes located the Lady Lay in 1898. It has paid well from the beginning and gives evidence of being splendid property.~

1901 February 16, Post Office re-established.  Francis Bennett, Postmaster.

1903 June 2, Thomas Hodgson, Postmaster.

1903 October 12, William R. Patten, Postmaster.

1904 July 30, Evening News (San Jose, CA) - John Rothe an aged miner of Coffee Creek district in Trinity County, has struck it rich in his mine six miles above Carrville. He has ore there that carries the value of from $10,000 to $25,000 a ton. There is not much of it, the rich stuff merely being in a streak clinging to a hanging wall, but the extraordinary value of it brings the average value of a two-foot ledge up to $600 a ton, which means a fortune for the owner if the ledge holds out.~

1906 September 27, Post Office moved 1 mile east;  Benjamin D. Pinkham, Postmaster.

1912 July 3, Record Searchlight- Mrs. J. W. Taylor of Ono was in Redding this morning to take the train to Delta, whence she will go to the Coffee Creek mining district in Trinity County, where her husband is employed.~

1922 July 8, Claire B. Fowler, Postmaster.

1922 July 21, Evening News (San Jose, CA) - Jefferson Hildreth, 62, of Redding is dead and M.R. Rose of Oakland, 80, is dying as a result of a quarrel between the two aged men at Hildreth's Coffee Creek, Trinity County, ranch, early today. Hildreth was found shot to death and a posse was immediately organized to hunt Rose, who was found nearby and admitted killing Hildreth. On the way into town Rose, on pretext of getting a drink of water, went behind a hotel and shot himself in the head. Doctors say he cannot live until night.~

1922 September 19, Riverside Daily Press - a forest fire which has been burning for a week on Coffee Creek in the Shasta National Forest, Trinity County, was beyond control today.

The buildings of the Blue Jay and Golden Jubilee mines were burned during the night. One hundred fifty head of sheep were cremated.

One hundred fifty men from Weaverville, Castella, and vicinity were fighting the fire today. It was started by cattlemen clearing ranges and passed beyond their control.~

1926 October 13, Mary L. Patten, Postmaster.

1934 November 15, Charles H. Duncan, Postmaster.

1936 April 20, Jack Humphrey, Postmaster.

1937 February 15, Coffee Post Office discontinued and the service moved to Carrville.

Reader Comments

There are no comments for this journal entry. To create a new comment, use the form below.

PostPost a New Comment

Enter your information below to add a new comment.

My response is on my own website »
Author Email (optional):
Author URL (optional):
Some HTML allowed: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <code> <em> <i> <strike> <strong>