Rose Lodge



The general area now Ruth was once known as Anada and White Stump.

1898, "The first settlement in this valley along the Mad River was called White Stump. It was so christened by two inebriated old-timers, Clyde Barnes and Tom Elkins, after lightning hit, split and made a twenty-foot stump out of a large pine tree. When, however, the first post office was established on March, 3, 1898, it was located about six miles upstream at the Lacy Gray place. The Grays had settled on Mad River in the 1890's and Gray became the first postmaster. The name Anada was given to the post office by John Jeans whose place was about a mile downstream. The name is a combination of the names of two girlfriends, Ana and Ada, whom Jeans had known in Missouri."

1902, John T. McKnight, also settled in this isolated area and with the help of his wife, four sons and two daughters, established a home which became a stopping place for travellers. From this beginning a hotel, store, stable and barns were built. The post office was moved from Anada to McKinght's place on 3 June 1902. Having received news of a new granddaughter born in Utah to another son, the McKnights proudly named the post office Ruth on 8 June 1902.

". . .The waters of the Ruth Reservoir now cover much of this valley which had been the center of much activity. The present location of the town of Ruth is upstream from all of its previous sites at the head of the new lake near the mouth of Johnson Creek. Besides the store and post office, a Forest Service Guard Station also had to be relocated from its former site near White Stump to a site south of the new lake." - The above quotes and summary information were taken from the book Trinity County Historic Sites published in 1981 by the Trinity County Historical Society.~





According to Trinity County Historical Sites published by the Trinity County Historical Society in Fifth Printing 2010 - 1853, "Sebastopol, located one mile downstream from old Minersville on the east side of the East Fork of the Stuart Fork, was a town started by John F. Chillis in 1853. Mr. Chillis was an enterprising man who was responsible for the establishment of a flour mill, a sawmill, a sash and window factory, and the construction of an eight mile water race (called Sebastopol Race) which provided water and water power to an otherwise dry location."~

1859, According to the State Register and Year Book of Facts, California, 1859 -J. F. Chellis owned a 2 stone, water powered Grist Mill at Sebastopol on Stuart's Fork of the Trinity River worth $6,000.~


Seven Cedars


Sidney Hill 

1857 December 24, Daily Democratic State Journal -A reservoir lately erected by Dr. Ware on Sydney Hill, was carried away by the flood one night last week. Damages from $300 to $400.~

1859 November 5, Alta California via Trinity Journal - From one of the claim owners at Sidney Hill we gather the following statistics of the yield of some of the principal claims the past season:

Dr. Ware's, about $18,000; Hupp & Finley, $18,000; McDonald & Coney, $11,000; Dodge & Howe, $9,000; Ware, Conley & Co., $5,000. An immense amount of gold has been taken from the Sidney claims, yet there is little decrease in the yield. Hundreds of acres yet remain, all of which will be mined yet.~

"William Condon, after successfully mining on Sidney Hill above Weaverville for about ten years, started Condon's Saloon in Weaverville in 1861. After his marriage the enterprise shifted its emphasis and became the Empire Hotel in October 1863. For a short time, Maurice Condon was in partnership with his brother but he soon left and went to San Francisco."- Trinity County Historical Society. (1981) Trinity County Historical Sites. (5th Printing 2010)~

"James Howe surveyed and built a ditch bringing water from West Weaver Creek to Sidney Hill. Dr. William Ware bought the ditch and narrowly escaped being hanged when he took all the water from West Weaver Creek." - Trinity County Historical Society. (1981) Trinity County Historical Sites. (5th Printing 2010).~




Steiner's Flat

1857 December 24, Daily Democratic State Journal -The Red Bar Company, above Steiner's Flat, on the Trinity, have just completed a water wheel, which in dimensions and capacity exceeds any other constructed in Northern California. The wheel is 55 feet 4 inch in diameter, with forty paddles and buckets at either end, capable of raising 18 gallons each. The wheel is at present making about two revolutions per minute, supplying nearly 3,000,000 gallons of water every 24 hours.~



Taylors Flat

See also:  Del Loma

1874 January 6, 4th Class Post Office established as Taylors Flat, Trinity, California located 15 miles southeast of Burnt Ranch and 6 miles northwest of Big Bar.

Gold discovered here in 1850 by a group of Frenchmen.

Alexander Pelletreau, first and only Postmaster.

1876 January 5, Post Office discontinued and the mail moved to Burnt Ranch.





1854, TRINITY- 4th Class Post Office established 24 May 1854 located 8 miles NE of Big Bar and 5 miles NW of Junction City. Discontinued 7 November 1878 when the service moved to Big Bar. Craven Lee was the first Postmaster and A.F. Bilay served in 1859.~

1857, Daily Globe:  P O  Trinity - C Lee, Postmaster.~


Trinity Alps


Trinity Center

1855, TRINITY CENTRE  (TRINITY CENTER)- 4th Class Post Office established 31 July 1855. Discontinued 30 December 1872 and re-established 3 February 1873. Spelling changed to 'Center' 15 January 1894. Was a placer gold mining site and named for the nearby Trinity River. The original site is now covered by Clair Engle Lake. The location was 32 miles NW of French Gulch (in Shasta County). Moses Chadbourne was the first Postmaster and still served in 1859.~

1857Daily Globe:  P O  Trinity Centre - M. Chadbourne~

1857 December 7, Daily Democratic State Journal - This road [Trinity Wagon Road] is now completed from Trinity Center to the summit of the Trinity Mountain. Through representations made by Capt. Chadwick, the Shasta Courier says, the California Steam Navigation Company and the California Stage Company have been induced to purchase some thirty shares of the stock, leaving but twelve indisposed of. The work, we presume, will be suspended during the winter, only to be resumed promptly in the spring.~

1880 July 13, San Francisco Bulletin - via Trinity Journal - On a ridge a few miles from Trinity Centre, Thomas Morton came on seven bears feeding. The presence of bear in such numbers is a rare occurrence in that region.~

1885 April 2, San Francisco Bulletin - Trinity Center lies about thirty miles northeast from Weaverville, on the road leading thropugh from Shasta county into Siskiyou. It is a very small town and exhibits about as close an approach to flat or valley land as any place in the county. Upon this fact and the settlement of a few farms in the neighborhood the community bases its claim to distinction as an agricultural settlement. A little produce is raised here, which enters into local consumption. A daily line of stages connects Trinity Center with the town of Shasta in the neighboring county of that name. Trinity Center also has telegraphic communication with the outside world, which speaks highly for its enterprise, considering it is a mere hamlet. I question if the population of the entire voting precinct amounts to more than 250.~

1897 Aug 13, Idaho Statesman; Redding, Cal., Aug 12:  Mr. Blackburn, owner of the Deep Gravel Mine near Trinity Center, in Trinity County, brings in the news of another rich strike on Morrison Gulch, seven miles above the claim of the Graves brothers. He states that Burgess and Murphy discovered a seam in their diggings 300 feet long and upon prospecting the seam got as high as $10 and $20 to the pan in several places. Miners and prospectors are leaving their claims to locate ground on Morrison Gulch and the whole bed of the gulch will soon be located.~

1897 August 24, Evening News (San Jose, CA) - And now a ledge of porphyry that assays $2000. a ton has been found in Trinity about two miles from the Graves boys' Blue Jay Mine. It's a dull day when a new strike of fabulous richness is not made in some part of California.~

1912 January 27, Record Searchlight:  Charles Wilder returned yesterday morning from San Francisco, where he had spent a week on business. Mr. Wilder will leave for his home at Trinity Centre this morning.~

1913 January 19, San Jose Mercury News, Delta, Cal. Jan 18, (AP) -



Belated word reached here today of the death Tuesday night of Edward C. Treadwell, superintendent of the Trinity Bonanza mine, owned by the Treadwell Brothers of San Francisco, Alaska pioneers and discoverers of the famous Treadwell Mine, now operated by the Alaska Treadwell Gold Mining Company. He was buried alive in a snow slide while trying to stable a balky horse.

Edward Treadwell was a son of James Treadwell, formerly one of the directors of the failed California Safe Deposit and Trust Company which still holds promissory notes given by John Treadwell, the other brother, aggregating $1,028,426. Edward Treadwell was 38 years old.

No attempt has been made to recover the bodies of Treadwell and Dave Williams, who met death at the same time, fresh slides at the same spot being feared.

The Trinity Bonanza Mine is near Trinity Center with which communication has been severed until today by heavy snows.

Tuesday night at 8 o'clock Williams also employed at the mine returned from Trinity Center with a team of four horses. Three of the horses went docilely enough into the stable, but the fourth was balky, and Treadwell came down to the barn with a lantern to help.

Ellis Basham and Charles Duncan were putting away the sleigh, and Duncan had just set foot inside the building when the slide came, wrecking the barn and burying Treadwell and Williams 12 feet deep.

Duncan kicked the slats off the barn roof and dug his way out unharmed.

Basham stood a foot from the path of the slide and escaped. The three horses in the barn were smothered, but the horse that caused the delay and cost two men their lives struggled free.

[Perhaps the balky horse had a sense about the impending slide and shouldn't be blamed.]~


Trinity Reserve

1906 February 20, The Shasta Courier - MANY APPLY FOR GRAZING PERMITS -

. . .Trinity Reserve . . . Cattle - F.M. Shelton, Knob; J.C. Williams, Hayfork; George T. Williams, Knob; C.M. Bland, Knob; James Gleason, Igo; Swain Brothers, George Garcia, Beegum; Gauthier,  Red Bluff; Mary A. Allen, Beegum; Brothers, Rosewood; W.G. Humason, Hunter; A.J. Fowler, Hunter; W.M. Rice, Hunter; Granger & Morrissey, Knob; Saunders & Ellison, Red Bluff.

Sheep - James Barry, Cottonwood; G.C. Frisbie, Anderson; A.T. Moore, Orland; Swain Brothers, Red Bluff; T.S. Flournoy, Corning; Thomas Cockburn, Paskenta; Brownell Sons, Paskenta; J.J. Hall, Paskenta.


Trinity River

1845 - When Pierson B. Reading came upon the river in 1845, he gave it the name Trinity, the English version of Trinidad, in the mistaken belief that the stream entered the Trinidad Bay. The name gained wide popularity after Reading discovered gold at Reading's Bar (Trinity) in 1848. Trinidad Bay was mapped as early as 1775.


Union Town


Weaver Creek

1857 December 24, Daily Democratic State Journal via Trinity Journal, Dec. 19 - The new flume of L. W. Ludwig was flood damaged to the amount of about $300 on Thursday night of last week. The injuries have been repaired, and the miners at the terminus on Weaver Creek are being supplied with an abundance of water from it.~



<1850 April 9, WEAVERVILLE - 2nd Class Post Office established prior to 9 April 1850. Named for George or William or John (historians don't agree) Weaver, a prospector. The mining camp evolved into Trinity County's most important population center located 7 miles E of Junction City and 5 miles N of Douglas City.

A. Woodworth was the first Postmaster. 

1850 April 29, Daily Missouri Republican (St. Louis, Missouri) - New Post Offices - In California . . . at Weaverville, A. Woodworth. . .

1852 November 15, Sacramento Daily Union - Weaverville, Trinity County, G.F. Winston, postmaster.

1853 January 21, Sacramento Daily Union - POST OFFICES IN CALIFORNIA - Weaverville, Trinity, G.B. Winston, postmaster.

1854 July 15 - "Weaverville, - An extensive battle was held between two large parties of Chinese near here today. The death list totaled 15, including one American who joined in the fray."~

1854 December 1, Weekly Alta California - Weaverville is improving rapidly. Five large hotels and two express offices ar in full blast; there are also nearly twenty stores, including two drug stores and one bookstore. A press has just arrived in town, and great results are anticipated. There are six lawyers, one physician, and quite a number of mechanics residing here, but no preacher! Gamblers, Chinamen and loafers are innumerable.~

1857, Daily Globe:   P O  Weaverville - James Barry~

1859, James O'Connor, Postmaster.

1876 April 3, Sacramento Daily Union - Postal Changes on the Pacific Coast - Washington, April 2d - Postmasters appointed:  Mrs. Mary Kellogg, Weaverville, Trinity county, California.~

1880 September 2, San Francisco Bulletin - State News In Brief - Weaverville is to have a Merchants Protective Union. - The Shasta and Weaverville stage was stopped yesterday afternoon about ten miles above the Tower House, by a highwayman, who took the mail and the Wells Fargo express matter. There was no one but the driver and one passenger, a lady, on board. The amount of money is unknown as the robber took the way bills.~

1881 May 30, San Francisco Bulletin- Last Tuesday morning Tim O'Neil, for several years express man between Weaverville and Canon City, fell from his wagon and was killed. He was a highly respected citizen, and widely-known in Trinity County. He leaves a wife and 8 children.~

1896 May 9, The Free Press- Peter M. Paulsen, proprietor of the Union Hotel at Weaverville, came down from his town Sunday evening [to Redding] and took the overland train for San Francisco. He was accompanied by his two daughters, Mrs. N. B. Shurtleff and Miss Pauline Paulsen.~

1901 July 30, Evening News (San Jose, California) - WILD RUSH BEING MADE TO NEW MINES - The excitement over the gold strikes in this section continues without abatement.

Not since the Coffee Creek excitement of four years ago has there been such a rush to Trinity County as there is at present. 

It is all on account of the Sweepstake mine opening up near Weaverville.

Extra stages have been put on and they all go into Trinity loaded to their fullest capacity.

There are many going in by private conveyances and scores go by foot.~

1921 May 7, Evening Tribune (San Diego, CA) - The road between this city [Redding] and Weaverville is open to motor traffic. John Dempt of Big Bear was the first to come over the road this year. This road is expected to improve with clear weather.~




1888 October 2, Post Office established as Wildwood, Trinity County, California, located 18 miles southeast of Hayfork.

Edward Landis, first postmaster.

1893 August 8, Robert J. Gemmill, Postmaster.

1893 December 15, Post Office discontinued.

1904 July 20, Red Bluff Daily News - The Wildwood public school opened the fall term this week with Miss Clara Garoutte as teacher.

President George L. Hoxie of the Wildwood Lumber Co. returned last week from a business trip to Red Bluff where he arranged for shipping 50,000 feet of  lumber to San Francisco.

Miss Kate Crocker Bender of Reno, Nevada, is the guest of Mrs. Charles Magill, wife of the cyanide superintendent of the Midas Mine at Harrison Gulch. Mr. Magill is also secretary of the Wildwood Lumber Company and will spend a part of the summer fishing on Hayfork Creek.~



1880 January 5, 4th Class Post office established as Wilson, Trinity, California located 30 miles northwest of Covelo, Mendocino County and 30 miles southeast of of Blocksburg.

Oscar F. Huston (Hurton?), First Postmaster.

1881 January 12, O.B. Rice, Postmaster.

1881 October 12, Post Office discontinued and service moved to Blocksburg.~